Team-BHP - Accidents in India | Pics & Videos
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Accidents in India | Pics & Videos (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/109249-accidents-india-pics-videos-2704.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sphere (Post 5782105)
I feel its a high time and there needs to be an upper limit for a license holder. I feel 65-70 is an ideal age to stop driving.

My father just turned 76. His overall health, vision and reflexes are good. He loves driving and drives his celerio both in city and on highways. When he had got retired at 60 years[2008], considering safety, I did not let him buy any scooter/bike instead suggested him to take his M800 everywhere. Since then he uses his car to go anywhere and everywhere and both my parents are happy and independent.

Last year, I asked him to stop driving. He made his point that he does not want to be dependent on others as long as he is capable and assured me that he will drive keeping his limitations in mind. Though I am proud of him, I also caution him multiple times, whenever I call him.

I feel such rules if applied will hurt the spirit of elders who are healthy and want to live life to their fullest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DriverLess (Post 5780814)
Viewer discretion is advised

https://x.com/DriveSmart_IN/status/1797592918787756177

At 20 seconds mark, the car just rampages through a junction. No idea what could make someone drive like this. News claims driver (aged 72) lost control. What is the definition of lost control?

https://www.freepressjournal.in/mumb...everal-injured

News is that driver aged 72 had cardiac arrest that resulted in excessive speeding. I don't deny the fact that anyone can have cardiac arrest but if the person is old age there is high chance and they should not risk going behind the wheel. They are risk to others as well.

Apparently the driver suffered a massive brain stroke and was completely paralyzed on the left side (that's what the autopsy has revealed). The assumed scenario is that he suffered a stroke, was paralyzed on the left and the right foot was just hard pressed on the accelerator. Most probably he died after the impact and not by the brain stroke.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anilsurya1985 (Post 5782189)
News is that driver aged 72 had cardiac arrest that resulted in excessive speeding.

If there is a passenger in the car, what can the passenger do in case of driver incapacitation. Just thinking...

* Do not panic, but take action. Time is of the essence.
* Do not remove your seat belt.
* Switch on hazard lights.
* Quickly roll the windows down, may be this is just a drowsy driver and this could bring them back to reality.
* Try to hold the steering steady, no drastic direction changes.
* If you think accelerator is not being pressed, but the car is still moving, then downshift to use engine braking. (this might be easier in an automatic car, switch to manual and downshift).
* If you think accelerator is stuck or pressed, you can either downshift quickly or put the car in neutral. This is also a recommended solution for any kind of sudden unintended acceleration (SUA).
* Use handbrake slowly to reduce speed only as a last resort or only from slow speed.
* Try to turn off the car if and only if you cannot downshift or put the car in neutral.
* Technology wise, driver alertness monitoring could be a solution that applies gradual - AEB.
* Another simple solution could be passenger awareness and a kill switch on passenger side. But may not be of much use without braking.

Any other ideas or do you think anything above is bad! advice?

Quote:

Originally Posted by happymover (Post 5782161)

I feel such rules if applied will hurt the spirit of elders who are healthy and want to live life to their fullest.

Sorry for being bit rude, but keeping one elder happy vs keeping many people alive is the question here. I can understand the pain of not driving, but given the chance of mishap like the above happening where it wipe away lot of lives is just not acceptable.

As people age, the chances of ailments is also increasing. So need to consider that.

Elders in my home were never allowed to drive. We actively hire drivers to accompany them for their temple visit or outstation relaxation trips.

I suggest you to evaluate this. It is your father's spirit vs life of others. Decision is really simple. Hope you understand what I'm trying to express here.

Innova Hycross vs Kia Carens

Hyderabad - A CCTV camera captured a collision between An Innova Hycross and Kia Carens after the Kia driver jumped the signal at Secunderabad club, Hyderabad

Video

Source

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteSierra (Post 5782302)
Innova Hycross vs Kia Carens

Hyderabad - A CCTV camera captured a collision between An Innova Hycross and Kia Carens after the Kia driver jumped the signal at Secunderabad club, Hyderabad

Video

Source

Sheer irresponsible driving mannerism exhibited by the Carens driver (if his signal was really RED). God knows when can we see atleast 1 single day where we do not come across blatant refusals in accepting the law while on the road :Frustrati

Off topic, is the Carens so vulnerable and unsafe, that even at city speeds, the dash with Innova was enough for it to get into a somersault ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigar1791@gmail (Post 5782305)
Off topic, is the Carens so vulnerable and unsafe, that even at city speeds, the dash with Innova was enough for it to get into a somersault ?

It's a clear example of PIT maneuver, common for traffic police pursuit tactic, to hit at the back end of the car, which forces the vehicle being pursued turn sideways and driver loses the control.

It's simply physics being displayed, nothing to do with safe or unsafe. Topple could happen for higher GC vehicle, for lower GC cars, they would go in for an uncontrolled spin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigar1791@gmail (Post 5782327)
Is there no relation with the speeds either of the vehicles were doing?

Generally a very mild touch at the back of a fast moving car is enough for the vehicle to lose its control and go for a spin.

Quote:

From the looks of it, I don't see the Innova doing >30kph, while the Carens would be somewhere at ~50KPH.
Here what I see, even if Innova would have touched the Carens even at 5kmph, result would have been more or less the same.

Agreed higher speed would change the consequence scenario, but it would look like the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NomadSK (Post 5782319)
It's a clear example of PIT maneuver, common for traffic police pursuit tactic, to hit at the back end of the car, which forces the vehicle being pursued turn sideways and driver loses the control.

It's simply physics being displayed, nothing to do with safe or unsafe. Topple could happen for higher GC vehicle, for lower GC cars, they would go in for an uncontrolled spin.

Is there no relation with the speeds either of the vehicles were doing?

From the looks of it, I don't see the Innova doing >30kph, while the Carens would be somewhere at ~50KPH.

When the police is in a pursuit and attempts a PIT maneuver, there will be high speeds involved (much higher than the once we're currently discussing) by both the police and the vehicle being chased, no?

The Innova was emerging from the club so it would not have been doing a high speed.

The Carens build quality was reflected when the rear touched the post and literally caved in .

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 5782332)
The Carens build quality was reflected when the rear touched the post and literally caved in .

Rather than attributing it to the quality of the build of the car, I would say crumble zone at the rear does its job by deforming and absorbing the impact of the crash.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NomadSK (Post 5782348)
Rather than attributing it to the quality of the build of the car, I would say crumble zone at the rear does its job by deforming and absorbing the impact of the crash.

The rear isn't supposed to deform as the Carens is a 3 row MPV and the rear passengers would be very close to the rear hatch if seated. Usually the front has the crumple zone in 3 row MPV's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 5782352)
The rear isn't supposed to deform as the Carens is a 3 row MPV and the rear passengers would be very close to the rear hatch if seated. Usually the front has the crumple zone in 3 row MPV's.

I have a different take on this, If there are people supposed to be in the rear of the car (3rd row), it makes it more pertinent to have the rear crumple zone designed to protect the humans there. These are areas of a vehicle that are designed to deform and crumple in a collision, absorb/dissipate the energy and protect the lives.

Crumple zones are generally designed for 360 degrees (Front/Rear/Sides) of any vehicle. Yes it won't be as robust as compared to the front of the car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 5782332)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 5782352)

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-kia-crash.jpg

Slowed the video and it shows the rear swipes against a stationary lamp post. Dont see a cave in, but broken rear glass and a big dent on the rear quarter panel. What is more worrying is - Did the side curtain airbags deploy? :Shockked:

Quote:

Originally Posted by NomadSK (Post 5782348)

Have seen in the XUV700 video there are zones at rear designed to deflect the loads.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-rear-crash.jpg

Image Source Link

Link

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sphere (Post 5782105)
I feel its a high time and there needs to be an upper limit for a license holder. I feel 65-70 is an ideal age to stop driving.

Please declare your age when making such comments. It is essential to know your point of view, and how skewed it is.

It is a ridiculous idea, or, at least, a ridiculous age limit to choose.

Actually, this is sensible: medical certification above a certain age. This does exist, but you know as well as I do the situation here: I did not even see the doctor who did mine for me, it was done through an auto-driver friend. I do agree that that is wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xcentrk (Post 5782284)
Sorry for being bit rude

Don't be sorry, think again.

By the way, how old is your grandad? He may, or may not be fully capable: you know him, I don't. But it isn't a numbers game, hence the sense in a medical exam.

Thanks,

Thad, aged 72.

In GB, my dad failed his medical at 70. He had neurological problems, and was told that he was certainly not fit to drive. My mum drove until she died: 89.