Team-BHP - Accidents in India | Pics & Videos
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Accidents in India | Pics & Videos (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/109249-accidents-india-pics-videos-2703.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkykar (Post 5780818)
Very disturbing visual this. Shows that if unlucky, one can be in eye of the accident with no fault of theirs and no chance to evade it either. Helmets...importance of good quality helmet is only thing that could possibly save.

72 year old causing this accident, my best bet is some medical condition or emergency occurred. It could be as basic as he passed out due to low sugar or any other such kind. Generally, an average 72 year old drives too slowly. Of course police will have to rule out DUI, if he was a habitual offender etc.

Twitter says that sources say he had a cardiac arrest, whether before or after is not mentioned. Also, died.

Yet another accident with loss of lives on Delhi Mumbai Expressway. The video has (in my opinion) very good reporting by news18 on the high number of accidents on this road, even though the video has been ruined by the atrocious sound effects and editing.

https://hindi.news18.com/videos/raja...a-8377720.html

https://x.com/DriveSmart_IN/status/1797592918787756177]

Horrible sighting. Poor people at the junction, don't know the old man died before or after the incident. Terrible thing to happen at a local chowrasta where everyone is going at slow speeds (10-30 kmph maybe), but that car zooms past like anything. Extremely disturbing.

Meanwhile somewhere in kolhapur-

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/stor...181-2024-06-03

Somewhat similar situation in some other place. Though the car is cheaper and we don't know much about the driver, still it reminded me of the Porsche incident being discussed. Plenty of such drivers (if we can call them drivers) are free on our roads with their killing machines.

Mods please delete the post if it is not related to the thread. It just reminded me of this thread, the moment I saw it. Maybe because of the speed of car and the victim bikers.

I really feel sad for the lost lives:sadface

Quote:

Originally Posted by sudanmohit (Post 5780881)
Meanwhile somewhere in kolhapur-

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/stor...181-2024-06-03

Somewhat similar situation in some other place. Though the car is cheaper and we don't know much about the driver, still it reminded me of the Porsche incident being discussed. ...

I really feel sad for the lost lives:sadface

From other news sites:

Three persons including former pro-vice chancellor of Shivaji University Dr V M Chavan (72) died after the car he was driving collided with multiple vehicles at the busy Cyber Chowk in Kolhapur on Monday afternoon.

While a probe has been launched to confirm the cause behind the mishap, prima-facie, the police suspect that Dr Chavan suffered cardiac arrest or other medical problem while driving the car.

A car accident caused by probable heart accident.

Quote:

Originally Posted by svsantosh (Post 5780817)
If it was a pure health related accident, then that septuagenarian is going to die of guilt. Should have stopped driving long ago.

The if part is to be taken with salt, please!

Yep. Septuagenarian here! Can absolutely still drive, and hope to emulate my mum who only stopped, due to ill health, a few months before her death just a few weeks short of 90.

But yes, we do need to keep tabs on our health, our reflexes, stuff like our peripheral vision. Notwithstanding the fact that experience certainly counts, we should not think that age makes us good drivers any more than youth should think being young makes them good.

Monitor your driving at all ages! Getting cocky? Correct it. Driving to fast? Correct it. These things count from 18 to 81. Every year: trying to keep ourselves out of this thread!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ani_meher (Post 5780939)
From other news sites:
prima-facie, the police suspect that Dr Chavan suffered cardiac arrest or other medical problem while driving the car.

A car accident caused by probable heart accident.

Oh that's unfortunate :sadface

Obviously certain things are not under our control :sadface

Quote:

Originally Posted by DriverLess (Post 5780814)
[
At 20 seconds mark, the car just rampages through a junction. No idea what could make someone drive like this. News claims driver (aged 72) lost control. What is the definition of lost control?

Who designs a junction like that? Such a large junction with traffic and no signals around? Just a free for all make your own way junction :(

Sad accident

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 5780951)
Yep. Septuagenarian here! Can absolutely still drive, and hope to emulate my mum who only stopped, due to ill health, a few months before her death just a few weeks short of 90.

Your posts are always witty like a teenagers, and wise as an older person. Always wondered how old were you. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raghuwire (Post 5781404)
... Always wondered how old were you. :)

Thank you so much :D

Assuming that I manage to drive safely for another four weeks, I will be 72 on July 4. :Shockked:

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkykar (Post 5780818)
Very disturbing visual this. Shows that if unlucky, one can be in eye of the accident with no fault of theirs and no chance to evade it either. Helmets...importance of good quality helmet is only thing that could possibly save.

72 year old causing this accident, my best bet is some medical condition or emergency occurred. It could be as basic as he passed out due to low sugar or any other such kind. Generally, an average 72 year old drives too slowly. Of course police will have to rule out DUI, if he was a habitual offender etc.

AEB (Automatic Emergency Braking) would have avoided this. AEB should be made mandatory for all new cars sold in India.

Quote:

Originally Posted by neon115 (Post 5781973)
AEB (Automatic Emergency Braking) would have avoided this. AEB should be made mandatory for all new cars sold in India.

AEB would not have avoided this. AEB can be over ridden by a sufficiently high throttle input. In this case, the driver seems to have floored the throttle (cardiac arrest?), which would have prevented AEB from activating in the first place. Making AEB mandatory is going to push up the cost of all the cars, forcing people to the used car market. Unless a significant portion of the road traffic is AEB enabled, its not going to make much of a difference.

Also, no self respecting Cruise Control is going to work in this absolutely chaotic sad excuse of a junction.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20240606_07h56_53.png

I feel its a high time and there needs to be an upper limit for a license holder. I feel 65-70 is an ideal age to stop driving.

It is a harsh statement but old people are a danger on the road, either they drive extremely slow and many times can't handle their scooters, or they might cause an accident in a situation like the one mentioned above.

I have myself seen this, an old man riding a scooty pept at 10-15km/h fell off from the bike because a Creta behind him honked. And he wanted to fight with the Creta driver who was not at fault (he stopped on time and saved him). Creta was rear ended by a Wagon R cab driver because of his sudden stop. He was still not mad at the old man and spoke to him respectfully. Old man was upwards of 75 probably.

My dad and I don't let my grandfather behind the wheel or even ride the scooty, even after him insisting to let him drive. He has to take the driver with him wherever he wants to go. Its a strict rule in my house.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sphere (Post 5782105)
I feel its a high time and there needs to be an upper limit for a license holder. I feel 65-70 is an ideal age to stop driving.

While I understand the concern about road safety and the impact of age on driving abilities, I believe setting an upper age limit for drivers is not the best solution. Here are a few points to consider:

Individuality: People age differently. Some individuals in their late 70s or even 80s might have excellent reflexes, vision, and cognitive function. Conversely, some younger individuals might have health issues that impair their driving. A blanket age limit does not account for this variability.

Periodic Tests: Instead of imposing an upper age limit, a more effective approach might be to implement regular, mandatory driving tests for all drivers over a certain age, such as 65 or 70. These tests could evaluate vision, reaction times, and driving skills, ensuring that only those who are capable continue to drive.

Independence and Mobility: For many elderly people, driving is crucial for maintaining their independence and quality of life. Restricting their ability to drive could lead to social isolation and negatively impact their mental and physical health.

Ultimately, enhancing road safety for all age groups should be the goal, rather than imposing a strict age limit that could unfairly impact many capable senior drivers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sphere (Post 5782105)

Hmm, sounds just like NGT's 10/15-year rule in NCR, and we all know how that turned out to be.

As denzdm said, there should be proper checkpoints to determine who's fit to drive and who's not. Alas, implementing such policies and expecting people to adhere to it, is just a distant dream for our country.

My grandfather is 84-year old and can still drive bike and car without any issue during the daytime (avoids night drive due to poor visibility and high beam from oncoming traffic).