Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2024, 16:02   #40486
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
I think there is more to it. Something went seriously wrong with the car.
If you notice, towards the end of the video, even after the driver exited and walked a distance, the front right wheel of the car is still revving. Somebody came running and stopped the engine. That means, the car engine wasn't in his control and was revving away.
To clarify and put that logic to rest...

It is a 2wd car with an open diff. One wheel is the air, engine was still in gear and running, so it will putter along with 1 free wheel in the air.

If you notice there is someone going to (assuming) to turn the engine off in the last moment of the video.

PS -
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
Something went seriously wrong with the car.
You are partially correct - it is the driver!

Rule 1 - When in Doubt - STOMP - the brake.
svsantosh is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 18:12   #40487
Senior - BHPian

Re: Another accident involving a Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
Another accident involving a Porsche, occurred in Mallapuram, resulting in death of a 18 year old kid on a motorcycle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Unpopular opinion.
Have a look at the CCTV footage, looks like the biker was in the wrong lane. And the moment before the biker's impact with the car, because of the hard braking, the biker falls on the road.

ecenandu is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 19:13   #40488
Senior - BHPian

Another case of reckless underage driving has emerged from Kanpur. The 15-year-old accused, who crashed into and killed 2 people last October, injured 4 others in another crash in March 2024. He has now been sent to juvenile home. News reports say that his father is a well-known doctor in the area.

Last edited by self_driven : 23rd May 2024 at 19:21.
self_driven is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 21:47   #40489
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
On the intervening night of Sunday- Monday (25-26 February), two ladies on a Mercedes Benz, one among them driving the car MH 49 AS 6111, knocked down two riders who were on a Honda Activa MH 37 Q 2948. Both were in their 30's.

The accident happened at 1.30 am on the Ram Jhula, on this very newly renovated bridge passing over multiple rail tracks very near the Nagpur railway station. The ladies were returning after attending a party at the elitist C.P. Club while the two youths on the Activa were returning home after their weekend, late night walk near the old VCA cricket stadium. One of the scooter riders was killed on the spot, while the other who was seriously injured and rushed to the hospital succumbed to his injuries on Monday 26/02 evening. The car was seized by the police. The two ladies fled fearing mob fury and surrendered at the police station. Yes, even at 1.30 am a mob had gathered and it demanded strict action by the police. After getting arrested, police released the ladies on bail.
An update:-
Nearly three months on, the court was adjourning the hearings and justice is still agonisingly a long way. The judge has now fixed the matter tomorrow for the orders. The application was filed on 12.03.24.And there were 24 adjournments. It was hoped that the guilty would get the deserved punishment for snuffing out two lives and shattering families of the victims. After alcohol was confirmed in the driver's blood sample by the Forensic Laboratory ( sample taken more than six hours post the accident, whereas law says it should be taken within three hours) the police had invoked the non bailable Sec 304 of the IPC. Earlier the driver was booked under Sec 304 A which is bailable and she was released on bail.

Mr Devendra Fadnavis, Dy Chief Minister and Home Minister, going into the damage control mode after the Pune Porsche accident has said, "we will leave no stone unturned to ensure justice."

The link:-

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../110345506.cms

Last edited by Aditya : 24th May 2024 at 05:01. Reason: As requested
anjan_c2007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 00:51   #40490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doga View Post
I have 2 mesh jackets, 1 leather jacket, 1 full racing suit, 1 riding pant and 1 riding jeans but wasn’t wearing any of it. Tried few times and always land in office dripping in sweat.
I have ridden through Death Valley National park, and the Sonoran desert of Arizona in the summer with full gear. Not sure what mesh jacket you have. I have some custom stitched jackets from MotoPort. https://www.motoport.com/product/mar...r-mesh-jacket/ Look for such a material, they have max airflow, and are bearable even in Death Valley.

Thanks for reminding me to wear all the gear. I have been riding for 35 years, and laziness does creep in. Although I wear jacket, gloves, and boots all the time, I sometimes skip the riding pants. As though I dont care about my legs.

I need to repeat this a hundred times. Always dress for the slide, and not the ride. Always!
GutsyGibbon is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 14:20   #40491
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

From the X, this is another chilling video. VIEWER DISCRETION PLEASE

Such high end cars have almost all aids for a safe reversal and yet this happened. Good thing known so far is the victim is alive and safe.

https://x.com/abhitoshsingh/status/1...0%2Fframe.html

Last edited by Altrozed : 24th May 2024 at 14:36. Reason: Added a caution for video content
Altrozed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 14:29   #40492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altrozed View Post
From the X, this is another chilling video.

Such high end cars have almost all aids for a safe reversal and yet this happened. Good thing known so far is the victim is alive and safe.

Guys the video is not for the faint hearted. Discretion is advised.
ashivas89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 23:29   #40493
BHPian

Witnessed this Baleno caught in a bit of a pickle on OMR here in Chennai this evening. Not sure how it ended up like that, but thankfully no one seemed to be hurt.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_2153.jpeg  

Old 25th May 2024, 02:22   #40494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altrozed View Post
From the X, this is another chilling video. VIEWER DISCRETION PLEASE

How the hell did the car driver not notice this? The moment you feel something hindering your car's movement, the first instinct is to step out and check.

The amount of time he just went back and forth with the SUV rolling around, makes it seem as if it was intentional, or the driver was completely out of his senses
avisidhu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 06:57   #40495
BHPian

Re: Another accident involving a Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Have a look at the CCTV footage, looks like the biker was in the wrong lane. And the moment before the biker's impact with the car, because of the hard braking, the biker falls on the road.

https://Youtube.com/watch?v=D3CBjbo2...r85kdbAV-qMVmL
The CCTV here seems like a mirror image. Both vehicles in the wrong lane. Agreed though that panic braking seems to be the cause here.
Old 25th May 2024, 12:15   #40496
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
After alcohol was confirmed in the driver's blood sample by the Forensic Laboratory ( sample taken more than six hours post the accident, whereas law says it should be taken within three hours) the police had invoked the non bailable Sec 304 of the IPC. Earlier the driver was booked under Sec 304 A which is bailable and she was released on bail.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-nagpur-city-line_20240525.jpeg

The killer car now seized by police. It first hit the sidewall of the Ram Jhula bridge, Nagpur, before knocking two youths on an Activa dead during the wee hours of 26.02.24

The anticipatory bail application of the accused lady driver of the Mercedes Benz was rejected by the District Sessions Court yesterday, clearing the path for her arrest. It was a 90 day wait since the lady was driving her Merc and had rammed the car at around 2.00 am on Feb 25-26 night, hitting two youths on an Activa, killing them. The bail was refused as alcohol content in her blood was above the threshold value, though blood samples were taken at around 8.00 am almost 6 hours after the accident. The police thereafter slapped Sec 304 of the IPC. The court noted that the accused had fled the accident scene, which was questionable behaviour and needs to be probed. There were several eyewitnesses who all deposed before the packed court. Another plus point is that Adv Mohd Fazal (from the deceased families side) is assisting the prosecution (police and public prosecutor) which has added wings to the hearings. Adv Fazal cited an Apex Court guideline which says that ad interim relief ( the bail granted since 12.03.24 to the accused driver) can be revoked by the competent court in case a more stringent section (Sec 304) is invoked against the accused. In serious criminal cases where our well being is involved, apart from the police and police prosecutor, an advocate needs to be engaged by us to assist the prosecution.

Hence, though justice has been delayed by 90 days (24 adjournments), truth has prevailed at last. Let's hope that truth triumphs.

But till late yesterday, court orders were not received by the police. In such cases, courts need to make special provisions to make available a "Stenos order" within a few hours of the judgment being passed. Quite a few courts have such a provision. In such sensitive cases delayed issue of orders/ judgments facilitate the accused to escape to undisclosed locations that even the police many times find tough to crack.

Details on this link:-

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../110408682.cms

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 25th May 2024 at 12:27.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 10:16   #40497
BHPian

What is happening today!? Saw 4 accidents on the BLR-MYS expressway.
1) A pre facelift baleno with the right side front bumper and mirror ripped off.
2) A scene where an I10 had rear ended a Seltos at quite a speed as it appeared. The i10s front fascia was completely damaged while the seltos appeared relatively untouched.
3) A senior citizen in his rapid who managed to scrape the right side of the rear bumper with the divider and was examining it after the toll.
4) A major accident where a TUV300 was lying upside down after hitting a truck I presume. An ambulance was also present at the scene. Hope all are fine.

OT: Spotted a BHpian's Ecosport on the road, he too most probably saw all these incidents

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20240526_091713.jpg
arnav17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 12:24   #40498

Just my perspective on the causes of accidents.

I was wondering on a simple and common sensical question of what causes road accidents in India (or at any place in the world). So here's my attempt to list the variables in a Mutually Exclusive and Collectively Exhaustive (MECE) manner.

I think road accidents (with a focus on car accidents) in India are a function of:
  1. (Self) Driver's skill and any thing related to the driver
  2. Vehicle's / car's capabilities
  3. Road infrastructure
  4. Other vehicles / drivers
  5. Other uncontrollables

1. (Self) Driver's skill and any thing related to the driver
This is easy to understand. A person needs to have good driving skills to drive safely. Lack of skill results in bad driving which would cause chaos on the road or even accidents. To ensure that the driver is adequately skilled, the RTO's have laid down rules and assessments for issuing a driving license. Certain level of maturity is required to drive in a sensible manner, and hence the rule of 18 years of age to acquire a DL. And through a driving test the officers ensure that the candidate can drive reasonably OK.

In a recent update from Karnataka RTO's - now the driving test can be conducted by authorized private training centres. Let's wait and watch if it turns out for good or bad!
Link to the report:

https://www.india.com/business/big-u...rules-6950206/

The other aspects related to driver can be:
- has the driver had adequate rest before driving?
- is the driver sober enough? or under the influence of drugs/alcohol?
- is the driver willing to drive in a safe manner for self and others on the road?

2. Vehicle's / car's capabilities
A driver may have good skills, but only for a certain type of vehicle. Example:
  • someone can drive well only an automatic transmission car. So the type of car matters here for the same driver.
  • someone can drive well only small to mid sized cars. The likes of Carnival or Fortuner may be too big for safe driving for the same driver. So the size of car matters here.
  • ill maintained cars / old cars stuttering on the road cause inconvenience/accidents to others.
  • super powerful cars. I know many of you would dissent and rebut this point. But extremely powerful vehicles beyond the driving capabilities of common public on city roads have high probability of resulting in accidents.
Cases in point -
- Md. Azharuddin's son sadly passed away in an accident from riding a 1000 cc Suzuki GSX R1000. ~180 hp power and ~110 Nm torque are packed in the 2-wheeler.
https://www.indiatoday.in/magazine/s...784-2011-09-24
- Cyrus Mistry's accident
- Rishabh Pant's accident

Some may argue that it depends on the driver's skill and not purely on the car's capabilities. But a super powerful vehicle drastically reduces the response time and hence it's a vehicle related factor.

A related point - While I appreciate the technical accomplishment made by BYD team in achieving 0-100 kmph speed in just 3.8 seconds in BYD Seal AWD Performance model, I also wonder if it's safe for Indian roads! Sometimes I also wonder if the max speed of 200/220 etc. given in regular cars like Swift, Dzire is really needed? Can it be limited to lower and reasonable speeds like 150?

In regards to this, I appreciate the actor Imran Khan for realizing that his Ferrari California's power is way too much to handle for him and hence he sold it off, ensuring safety for himself and others through his driving.

https://indianexpress.com/article/en...ickly-9335244/

3. Road Infrastructure
This is again a no brainer reason. So many accidents, mostly of 2-wheelers, are caused just because the rider tries to avoid the potholes / ditches and ends up under the wheels of other vehicles.
Just one example:
https://www.ndtv.com/bangalore-news/...-death-1761407
So tragic and sad.

But how do we as citizens fight against the municipalities for bad roads? In such accidents, like the one stated above, can a case be filed in court against the municipality? Class action lawsuit is reinvigorated in India for share market disputes.

Can the same be filed against city municipalities for not maintaining basic road infrastructure resulting in countless deaths? Law experts here can share their opinion.

Not just the potholes, infrastructure also includes provisioning of good entry and exits for highways, good bridge expansion joints on flyovers etc. At many places in Bangalore, road is wide at sections where vehicles go in a zoom, but then the road just narrows / constricts resulting in huge traffic jams and accidents at times.

4. Other vehicles / drivers
This is also a no-brainer. I may be driving safely on the road, but if other vehicles are reckless then it's a danger for me. Numerous examples including the death of 2 bike readers in Pune due to the Porche ramming them.
But the question is - if others' behaviour is not in my control, how do I safeguard myself against them? This is where ADAS Level 1 and Level 2 capabilities aid the driver in further safe guarding from other disturbances on the road.

5. Other uncontrollables
This includes totally uncontrollable factors like weather, falling of trees on their own, tyre burst, animal suddenly coming in the way, driver suffering sudden heart attacks etc. Need a bit of luck to avoid such external factors. This is where people's belief in God or good karma etc. may shield them from such things.

Just my humble attempt to describe the factors. Criticism, appreciation and feedback are welcome!
Jupizire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 21:24   #40499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav17 View Post
It is a very normal day Sir.
Most of the drivers think it is a race track and they are in a race as soon as they enter this road.
Most of them are either illiterate or forget to carry their spectacles, they fail to read the 80/100 speed limit often.
Worst many think they are playing a video game, shifting from the outermost lane to the innermost lane and vice versa and believing that they get one more chance if they fail.

This is just another day in BLR-MYS road.
LoneRidder is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 21:48   #40500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav17 View Post

Attachment 2609590
I was there on BLR-MSR express today morning and saw the vehicles involved in 2nd and 4th one. TUV one and i10 were fresh as when I was passing them passengers were still trying to come to terms with what happened. TUV one was most baffling as it has turned turtle and was facing incoming traffic.
SamDiablo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks