Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2009, 01:35   #4036
Distinguished - BHPian

Most air-bag cars have a switch to turn off the front-passenger-seat bag. This is so that you do not decapitate your child, if it is in a child seat fitted to that seat.

It is specifically for that purpose. It is not a money-saving switch, and it seems to me that to buy airbags and disable them would be lunacy!

edit...
<Blush!!!> This won't be the first time I have a post deleted in this thread. Sorry Mods; forgot which thread it was>

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 4th December 2009 at 01:36.
Old 4th December 2009, 02:29   #4037
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Any car makes a screching noise when braking ABS or not as it is using as much tractio to stop
By screeching, I assume you mean the noise you hear when the wheel locks up. This is exactly what the ABS avoids, and gives you control during hard braking. Screeching car will go further than a car with ABS deployed. With ABS deployed you would hear a thud...thud...thud... noise and feel the same on the brake pedals. (going back and forth) At low speeds ABS may not deploy at all and may screech for a very short distance, if you floor the brakes.
Old 4th December 2009, 02:42   #4038
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
I am thinking should the air bag not deflate some time after the deployment? Is the Jetta not equipped with air bag off switch?
If you mean fractions of a second when you say "some time" you are right. The nitrogen/gas should make its way out through the pores of the airbag pretty soon there by providing a cushioning effect. Our GK savior -
HowStuffWorks "How Airbags Work"

although how the VW jetta has the airbag blown up after the accident is hard to explain.

Last edited by prasadee : 4th December 2009 at 02:47.
Old 4th December 2009, 09:53   #4039
BHPian

Ford Endeavour seen toppled on Airport Road, Pune

While coming to office few minutes back, saw a Ford Endeavour (KA Registered) resting on its left side, toppled.

According to witnesses, this has happened :
1. A biker (going to Airport) slipped while taking an U-Turn at this median branch.
2. At the same time, this Endeavour was coming from Lohegaon Airport saw this biker slipping & in order to save him he tried taking his vehicle close to median alongwith applying brakes.
3. Endeavour's Front-Right hit the median, right-front tyre broke-off the body & due to impact, it got toppled.
4. Bike was seen under Endeavour's left-rear part, front portion crushed.

BUT, the people there said : NO casualty (I thanked GOD, the very moment)

I have got a picture of Accident site, but it'll take some time for me to upload it as I forgot mobile data cable at home.
Old 4th December 2009, 09:55   #4040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
By screeching, I assume you mean the noise you hear when the wheel locks up. This is exactly what the ABS avoids, and gives you control during hard braking. Screeching car will go further than a car with ABS deployed. With ABS deployed you would hear a thud...thud...thud... noise and feel the same on the brake pedals. (going back and forth) At low speeds ABS may not deploy at all and may screech for a very short distance, if you floor the brakes.
Hmm. We know what the ABS avoids, but it is true that while hard breaking even with ABS, we can hear some screeching sound even though the wheels aren't locked up. You can try for yourself (but be safe) and see.

If we just see how ABS works, it is not just keeping the tires smoothly rotating at the threshold of getting locked up, the break pressure is just adjuested /reduced when the wheels just begins to lockup and then again this is repeated - you feel the ABS pulses while hard breaking due to this. So there could be a number of 'micro' lockups (sorry for my own terms) and may be that's why we hear a little screeching sound.

Sorry to be offtopic
Old 4th December 2009, 09:55   #4041
BHPian

10 killed as school van falls into pond

"According to the account given by a rescued boy, the driver was talking on his mobile phone when the accident happened. Police said the cause of the accident was under investigation. The pond was full to the brim. As the water was being pumped, the edges slid in. Fifteen motors, including four heavy motors, worked for five hours to pump out water. The 22-year-old teacher, Suganthi, and most of the children were from the nearby Nagakodayan village. One family lost two boys in the accident."

The Hindu : Tamil Nadu News : 10 killed as school van falls into pond
Old 4th December 2009, 10:08   #4042
BHPian

The airbag was deployed only in the last Jetta probably because he was the only one driving with a seatbelt on.

Last edited by bharatbs : 4th December 2009 at 10:12.
Old 4th December 2009, 10:09   #4043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhu_engg24 View Post
1. A biker (going to Airport) slipped while taking an U-Turn at this median branch.
2. At the same time, this Endeavour was coming from Lohegaon Airport saw this biker slipping & in order to save him he tried taking his vehicle close to median alongwith applying brakes.
Thats strange actually. There is harldy any traffic there. Wonder what the Endy was doing so close to the bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar7778 View Post
The 22-year-old teacher, Suganthi, and most of the children were from the nearby Nagakodayan village. One family lost two boys in the accident."
Thats horrible!! RIP. What happened to the driver ?
Old 4th December 2009, 10:36   #4044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar7778 View Post
"According to the account given by a rescued boy, the driver was talking on his mobile phone when the accident happened. Police said the cause of the accident was under investigation. The pond was full to the brim. As the water was being pumped, the edges slid in. Fifteen motors, including four heavy motors, worked for five hours to pump out water. The 22-year-old teacher, Suganthi, and most of the children were from the nearby Nagakodayan village. One family lost two boys in the accident."

The Hindu : Tamil Nadu News : 10 killed as school van falls into pond
Just read this on the newspaper. What a tragedy ! The poor children had to pay with their lives for the stupidity of the driver. Such people with utter disregard to human life should be caught and flogged.
Old 4th December 2009, 10:54   #4045
BANNED

Anybody saw the accident of a Red Swift climbed on the central verge and smashed into the street light pole near Hyatt Hotel today.I couldn't click any picks due to heavy traffic.
The skid marks on the road suggested he was coming at high speed on the turn locked up and collided .
Old 4th December 2009, 11:25   #4046
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhu_engg24 View Post
I have got a picture of Accident site, but it'll take some time for me to upload it as I forgot mobile data cable at home.
Here's the Pic of "Ford Endeavour seen toppled on Airport Road, Pune"
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-04122009220.jpg  

Old 4th December 2009, 11:32   #4047
Distinguished - BHPian

VW accident. What a PR disaster right in the middle of the road!!
Old 4th December 2009, 11:37   #4048
Senior - BHPian

Ford on that Bike. What happened to the biker. Is he safe or any injuries.
Old 4th December 2009, 11:59   #4049
Senior - BHPian

The Endy is built like a tank. Good to here that there are no casualties.
Old 4th December 2009, 12:18   #4050
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
The poor children had to pay with their lives for the stupidity of the driver.
In BLR, its now a common sight to see BMC bus drivers chatter away on their mobile phone whilst trundling along in the centre of the road at 25 km/hr. I shudder to think what might happen if the driver accidentally lost control of the bus or has to make quick steering corrections.

Most Viewed