Team-BHP - Accidents in India | Pics & Videos
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Accidents in India | Pics & Videos (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/109249-accidents-india-pics-videos-2697.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTX+ (Post 5767397)
Viewer Discretion Adviced

Disturbing footage captures the consequences of reckless driving in Mulavukad, Kochi.

A 21-year-old biker collides with a cyclist while crossing the road, then crashes into a lorry.

The biker is in critical condition.

https://twitter.com/Wh_So_Serious/st...0Gp2ozGRQ&s=19

How come people in that twitter thread are blaming the poor cyclist when there is a huge reckless fool riding the motorcycle like there's no tomorrow in that same video?
I say this all the time and it sounds very boring and cliched but just don't try to go over the limit where you can't handle the speed. I have never gone above 110 kmph and even that on an expressway.
Not only I am responsible for me but also for the passengers and pedestrians.
Why do people think pedestrian safety is a thing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ada (Post 5768512)
I am always wary of statistics like this ...

What you say is true. But I had heard it as applying to long journeys. I apply it to all journeys: even a 5km journey has its last km.

In a way, when we are driving on well-known regular routes, it applies to the whole journey! We are relaxed about the whole journey because we feel at home. I recognise this about my daily journeys, but still find that it applies even more to the final few minutes.

A lot of these driving statistics come from Western insurance companies. They collect them assiduously. Risk is their business, and they have such a huge pool of information to draw on. We can be fairly sure they are right!

Quote:

Originally Posted by vaibhav_a_a (Post 5768550)
If the car was indeed parked on the side of the road, how could anyone not see them and just ram their vehicle into it? Isnt the extreme side lane meant for stopping on the e-way?

Hmmm. Read this thread! you will find so many instances of people running into stationary and immovable objects. Sad but true. :Frustrati

https://www.eenadu.net/videos/playVi...-vizag/1/53037

Overspeeding on a bike leads to loss of control and cost life of two

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gennex (Post 5768648)

Reckless and arrogant. Feel sad for the parents of the boys, it takes a lot to bring up kids these days. And just adrenaline rush and inability to use sense takes the life out of them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gennex (Post 5768648)

How confidently and recklessly was the biker moving on such a "killer" stretch where one needs to be more than careful, but only if he values his own life - not otherwise! Within seconds the poor pillion rider is also gone with the biker.

But just observe, after a few seconds how carefully the truck driver is navigating himself.

Came across a short on YouTube regarding how Turkey has been using a unique way to remind drivers of the dangers of not following roads signs, a very novel way as I see it, could be helpful on our roads as well.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/roKrc6-TFyE

But as an after though, do feel that having seen the way certain sections of people on our roads behave, this may just turn out to something that road users consider a photo opportunity or a sight to gawk at or worse still a reason for distraction resulting in a mishap.

dear mods, could not find an appropriate thread for this matter, hence posting it here on this thread which felt the most relatable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaLamb (Post 5768747)
could be helpful on our roads as well.

Most Indian drivers suffer from optimism bias and they assume that, it won't happen to them.
These kind of pictures and videos must be shown before issuing the license and before optimism bias creeps in. Once a driver starts taking risks 24*7*365 without any negative impact, he would feel comfortable taking risk and assume that he's invincible.
Road crashes are probabilistic events and it requires one or more drivers to make a mistake at the same time to create a crash. For example,if someone is having a habit of jumping signals, he may not get into a T-bone crash every time. It requires another driver at the same time at the right speed from to come across his path. This randomness in life is what that makes drivers optimistic of not getting into crashes, though they make mistakes.

Quote:

Came across a short on YouTube regarding how Turkey has been using a unique way to remind drivers of the dangers of not following roads signs, a very novel way as I see it, could be helpful on our roads as well.

We have something like this in Jabalpur as well.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ytcar.jpg

https://www.ibc24.in/madhya-pradesh/...r-1683163.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish (Post 5768774)
Most Indian drivers suffer from optimism bias and they assume that, it won't happen to them.
These kind of pictures and videos must be shown before issuing the license and before optimism bias creeps in. Once a driver starts taking risks 24*7*365 without any negative impact, he would feel comfortable taking risk and assume that he's invincible.
Road crashes are probabilistic events and it requires one or more drivers to make a mistake at the same time to create a crash. For example,if someone is having a habit of jumping signals, he may not get into a T-bone crash every time. It requires another driver at the same time at the right speed from to come across his path. This randomness in life is what that makes drivers optimistic of not getting into crashes, though they make mistakes.

I think the only solution really is enforcement. The fines and punishments need not be high but there should be a fear that every time you do stupid things, you will be fined. For example a 1000 Rs fine where one gets caught only 1/10 th the time is worse than 100 Rs fine where one gets caught every single time.

Some traffic violation are inherently easier to enforce. For example, over-speeding, red light jumping, driving the wrong side are much easier to catch because they can be automated (no need to deploy police just for this, so called AI cameras would do). However things like lane discipline etc are much more difficult to enforce.

Also many of the traffic violation are what are known as copy cat violation. Some idiot jumps the queue by driving on the shoulder and you will immediately see people following it. So if a large portion of people starts behaving better, it will discourage even more people from misbehaving.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunGaDa (Post 5768703)
Reckless and arrogant. Feel sad for the parents of the boys, it takes a lot to bring up kids these days. And just adrenaline rush and inability to use sense takes the life out of them.

Duke + Triple Riding + Over Speeding + Engineering Marvel Flyover resulted this.

Earlier it happened such on another flyover and the Municipality closed the flyover :Frustrati.
Luckily , they cant close this 1st floor Flyover

Quote:

How Turkey has been using a unique way to remind drivers of the dangers of not following roads signs, a very novel way as I see it, could be helpful on our roads as well.

I've seen this while driving from Indore to Udaipur. From Ratlam onwards right upto Rajasthan border, at every intersection the highway traffic police has kept such accident damaged vehicles with posters about driving safely and within speed limits.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altrozed (Post 5769303)
Duke + Triple Riding + Over Speeding + Engineering Marvel Flyover resulted this.

Earlier it happened such on another flyover and the Municipality closed the flyover :Frustrati.

If they were engineering students and they did not know physics then it’s sad. Also I cannot see banking of the road, not sure if it’s there or not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunGaDa (Post 5769516)
If they were engineering students and they did not know physics then it’s sad. Also I cannot see banking of the road, not sure if it’s there or not..

Student and Physics education? There is no such thing in our country.

Banking on the road? No way, it is a flat road with gaps between girders and rumble strips are bonus.

This is the worst flyover anybody can ever build on Indian roads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunGaDa (Post 5768703)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altrozed (Post 5769303)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altrozed (Post 5769520)
This is the worst flyover anybody can ever build on Indian roads.

Why is this flyover considered poorly designed? Can you please elaborate?

From what I could see in the video, the bike was simply too fast to make a safe turn at the roundabout. At this speed, the end result could have been similar/fatal on most flyovers with roundabouts in most Indian cities.

From my limited Telugu reading skills, I infer that this ghastly accident happened at NAD junction, Vishakapatnam. I have seen similar roundabouts on flyovers in Chennai (Padi junction, Pallavaram, Tambaram etc). The impatience and me-first attitude of our road-users really shine at these roundabouts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvm (Post 5769547)
Why is this flyover considered poorly designed? Can you please elaborate?
From what I could see in the video, the bike was simpy too fast to make a safe turn at the roundabout. At this speed, the end result could have been similar/fatal on most flyovers with roundabouts in most Indian cities.

From my limited Telugu reading skills, I infer that this ghastly accident happened at NAD junction, Vishakapatnam. I have seen similar roundabouts on flyovers in Chennai (Padi junction, Pallavaram, Tambaram etc). The impatience and me-first attitude of our road-users really shine at these roundabouts.

Downloaded a sample image from TOI.
This NAD flyover supposed to be a rotary F/O but in reality it became a diamond/parallelogram shaped with no space to make a turn. If anybody has to travel straight, there is no curved space or banking angle. All large lorries , trailers has to enter this F/O. Taking a left turn or straight, they keep hitting the boundary walls or push off other vehicles to the ground.

Now, there is no doubt regarding bikers here but the space is too small to make a turn in the worst scenarios. Roads are too narrow on the curved path which leads to the ramp down. In the image, bikers were coming from the maroon car direction and hit straight. If you look at the bus now entering the R/A, there is hardly any space who are already in the R/A to adjust.
In this hurried and impatient world, these designs dont work.

AFAIK, the bikers arent supposed to enter 1st floor RO but use the underpasses below this F/O but rules are meant to be broken.

Several mishaps on this F/O where buses/lorries keep hitting vehicles coming from other direction. Earlier it was a 4 Road huge junction and a F/O was promised to solve this menace. But in reality, this became a disaster.