Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2024, 14:12   #40426
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Tough question;
Although its culpable on part of the car driver since he hit from the back, is it really possible to avoid such 'day dreamer' vehicles (like that two wheeler lucky fellow) on the road.
At the least, hope they both learned an invaluable lesson that day
How can you conclusively say that the biker was day dreaming, and it wasn't a technical fault in his vehicle? or getting scared by a humungous bus coming his way, wrong side?
Because he was going and he slowed (he never stopped) in a straight line, not swaying/ lane changing in any way.

Plus, the car guy was speeding, he had sufficient time to brake (over 2 secs at least), but instead tried to overtake the biker harshly on the left side.

Another scooty guy scrapped/barely escaped this harsh manouver by the car. But he's not even mentioned in your post as a victim, maybe because he didn't crash.

Last edited by GTO : 14th May 2024 at 16:25. Reason: No need for such a rude or strong post please. Request to continue being polite, calm & respectful, even in debates. Thanks for the support & understandin
Old 10th May 2024, 14:30   #40427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLife_MyCar View Post
Thank you for sharing this phenomenon. I have one question:
Does it apply to the bicycle rider also? Isn't he too fixated on the target (motorcycle) and driving towards motorcycle's path that he attempted to avoid the collision. Just tryin to understand this concept more.
Yes it applies to cycling as well and to some extent for cars. These are part of the 101s of road cycling where one often has to negotiate broken roads, loose gravel patches, pot holes etc. Instead of concentrating on the hazard and trying to avoid it one
should look at the patch through which one needs to negotiate all the while maintaining
a idea of who all are around you (using peripheral vision and other clues).

Another very useful tip is to avoid road markings while riding particularly when it has just rained. They are often much more slippery than the roads.
electric_eel is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2024, 16:27   #40428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amity View Post
Horrible accident on Delhi Mumbai Expressway (DME) when a truck travelling in overtaking lane suddenly took a U Turn. Six people in car lost their lives for no fault of theirs. Truck didn’t even bother to stop. Instead, it just completed the U-Turn and continued on the wrong side.

https://x.com/drivesmart_in/status/1...645963983?s=46
(Posting a link of the video as I don’t know how to download a video from X)

I had pointed out in the DME thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post5719614 (Delhi-Mumbai expressway to reduce travel time by 12 hours)) about this wrong side driving and wrong lane menace on the expressway with no enforcement. It seems like authorities are only busy collecting tolls.

Om Shanti
May their souls rest in peace. It is very sad that this happened. I usually see such types of accidents on highways after an initial accident. All other cars moving start taking different decisions suddenly creating more accidents or a chain of accidents.

In this case, there is some incident or accident happened to smaller truck parked in horizontal position and he must have been waiting for some help. The larger truck driver might have intended to help the smaller truck by towing or something. He made a u turn throwing all rules out of window as he thinks helping the smaller truck is a priority. Such stupid decisions lead to more accidents. The smaller car travelling is in a blind spot to the larger truck. The smaller car driver might have avoided if he is attentive but unfortunately he might be in cruise control ( I doubt if Maruti eeco has cruise ) or distracted that he could not take a correct decision in those 2 seconds he had for survival.
Mystic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2024, 16:40   #40429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLife_MyCar View Post
Thank you for sharing this phenomenon. I have one question:
Does it apply to the bicycle rider also? Isn't he too fixated on the target (motorcycle) and driving towards motorcycle's path that he attempted to avoid the collision. Just tryin to understand this concept more.

The biker just started speeding up when he realized the bicycle trying to cross the road and hits the brake. However, doesn't slow down enough and ends up hitting the bicycle..
I agree with you. I am not sure if the bicycle rider was aware of the fast moving motorcycle or if he saw the biker & thought that the motorcycle is far enough for him to cross the road or he generally didn't bother or care much because probably he does ride that way everyday and has gotten away with it. I have seen many local bicyclist/ motorcycle/scooter riders who don't look up while crossing the highway at their village limits. Anyways I think I am digressing.

Yes, Yes, bicycle riders can experience target fixation as much as a motorcycle rider.
Target fixation is when a rider becomes so focused on a distraction that they increase their risk of collision with it. For example, if a rider is looking at an obstacle, the bike can collide with it even if the rider is trying to avoid it.
In the given mishap, the bicycle rider is not fixated on the target / obstacle because he is riding perpendicular to the motorcycle Rider's direction. If 2 riders are riding in opposite direction (to each) on a 2 lane road and if they fixated on each other then their risk of collision increases. (The riders have to be opposite to each other and not perpendicular).

The motorcycle rider was very fast. Whether he riding that fast is a debatable matter. But he was very fast.
Here is a point, As you speed up, say upward of triple digits speed, tunnel vision develops and the area that your eyes can scan reduces and you might actually miss seeing objects that are present ahead as the mind has to process lot of information in a very short period of time.

You could do this experiment. On a clear road under safe circumstances, you ride at 100 kmph ( A relatively moderate speed in the present day) for say 2 kms. Then you write down all that you remember seeing on the road. Next you ride again the same route at 50 Kmph speed and write down all that you remember. You will be surprised to see how many things you missed out when you were at 100 Kmph speed. For example at that speed, you could totally missed seeing the scooter parked or the sign board or the man standing under a tree etc all of which you will recollect with clarity when riding at 50 Kmph speed.

Even though for a normal person viewing a video might say " Can't he see that Bicycle crossing" ).the fast Rider's mind may not register the cyclist's presence till the last moment. Speed does things to the human mind. At high speed most of the time, you don't stand a chance if an unexpected obstacle shows up in the immediate horizon.

I agree both are at fault here as you mentioned.

Could this accident been averted? If the motorcycle rider had practiced panic breaking, practiced to avoid target fixation, he perhaps had a small window of opportunity there. But that would take hours and hours of practice which no one sees but could save your life when you need it the most.

You mentioned that the motorcycle rider started speeding up when he saw the bicyclist. Probably he thought he will pass before the slow moving cyclist could come to that point on the road. Or it was just a reflex action.

Many Motorcycle riders mind freeze when they see an unexpected obstacle/ hurdle on the road. Trust me when I say this. I have been there and done that. I have had a mind freeze when a sudden obstacle (a Cow jumped from the side fields onto the middle of the road right in front of me at about 10-15 MTR distance) just materialized in front of me on the road. You have the obstacle in front of you and brain can't decide - left or right? slam brake? Change to lower gear? All in a few milliseconds Then your life survival instincts will kick in and you end up doing some irrational thing like speed up and then BAM!

To avoid getting into such a situation, practice again and again the art of panic braking, avoiding target fixation etc. practice a hundred times till it becomes muscle memory and you don't do the irrational things when a mishap appear imminent.

Last edited by ashkamath : 10th May 2024 at 16:46. Reason: Spelling mistake
ashkamath is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 10th May 2024, 19:09   #40430
BHPian

Quote:
Horrible accident on Delhi Mumbai Expressway (DME) when a truck travelling in overtaking lane suddenly took a U Turn. Six people in car lost their lives for no fault of theirs. Truck didn’t even bother to stop. Instead, it just completed the U-Turn and continued on the wrong side.
This is highly disturbing. Enforcement can't do much about it either. When the government rewrote the IPC, it provided a heavy punishment for hit and run cases. The truckers protested against it and had the clause struck down. In my opinion it was a dark day for our country's motorists when the strike happened. We all know these truckers don't care a damn about the laws and road safety. But, a legislation that could've taken erring drivers off the road and paved the way for better educated truckers, could've saved countless lives. This is social corruption at its finest I guess.

I hope the government doesn't give up on this cause. We need the people operating large machinery on the roads to be more responsible.

Last edited by Turbanator : 11th May 2024 at 09:42. Reason: No need to quote complete posts while replying.
Sensible_Speed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2024, 22:30   #40431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Tragic incident. This is not an accident, this amounts to Murder. There was no indication by the idiot on his intention to make a U turn. Such tragic loss of life for no reason.
Should we even talk about indicating to make a u-turn to travel wrong side in an expressway..?
harikrishnansp is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th May 2024, 23:27   #40432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am unable to get over the mindless, reckless move with utter disdain surely done by a habituated offender. Third world driving attitude, even if the infrastructure aims to be first world. Dreaming of such a shortcut should result in a suspended license, actually attempting a manoeuvre even without incident should result in jail.

Didn't the truckers union make a big hue and cry about stringent, overhauled laws about hit and run incidents?

Last edited by GeeTee TSI : 10th May 2024 at 23:28.
GeeTee TSI is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th May 2024, 01:45   #40433
BHPian

Quote:
i
In India, you can die in a road accident in any way possible. Assume everything and everyone is trying to kill you. You always want to drive defensively. You are responsible for your life.
  1. On highways, avoid driving at high speed. The difference between 60 and 90 can be life and death.
  2. If you don't know the roads, be extra vigilant. Maybe allow others to overtake and follow them at a safe distance.
  3. Avoid driving at night.
  4. Don't talk while driving at high speed
  5. Never access mobile while driving.
  6. Don't drive if tired.
  7. If you have people, drive even slower as it has more momentum.
  8. Make sure your breaks are working perfectly fine.
  9. Know your and your car limit. Some cars are not meant for high speed. Also, some people have poor eyesight and poor response time.
  10. Stay away from larger vehicles like buses and trucks. Be extra careful when you see them around you.

It is difficult to judge the speed of the car but I think the driver was slightly late to put brakes and steer left. Also not sure the car had good brakes as it barely slowed down.

Last edited by Turbanator : 11th May 2024 at 09:41. Reason: No need to quote complete posts while replying.
how_you_doing is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 11th May 2024, 07:23   #40434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post

Yes, Yes, bicycle riders can experience target fixation as much as a motorcycle rider.
Nicely explained about target fixation. Haven’t ridden a bike since long, only use a Vespa for small chores. This kind of knowledge, supported by audio visual means must be imparted to young riders. It can avoid injuries and even death.

Last edited by Turbanator : 11th May 2024 at 09:41. Reason: No need to quote complete posts while replying.
Old 11th May 2024, 09:20   #40435
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX+ View Post
Viewer Discretion Adviced

Disturbing footage captures the consequences of reckless driving in Mulavukad, Kochi.

A 21-year-old biker collides with a cyclist while crossing the road, then crashes into a lorry.
Here I will totally blame the cyclist. The biker was riding on a highway where speed of 100kmph is normal or I may say below average. He was wearing his helmet but the moron cyclist should also know that he is crossing the highway and not his neighbour street. Any average rider would expect that that the cyclist would stop and look around before crossing the road as the dashcam car was also coming but choose to do some Fast and Furious 1 level stuff. This is common and we have seen bikers doing the same in front of trucks in this same thread only.
IC_Morningstar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2024, 22:34   #40436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itspatra View Post
.... Ooty via Gudalur. . cannot ascertain how this happened or what it struck as there are no crash barriers or trees that were hit. Any ideas as to what could have caused it?

Notice the curvy ghat road and its wet condition.

If the speed is typically above 60kmph on these curves during rain and the driver happens to brake for whatever reason, its a perfect setup for the rear wheels of cars to skid/aquaplane, fishtail and spin out of control.

The car hit either the railing or the hill side of the road.

Quote:
..Horrible accident on Delhi Mumbai Expressway (DME) when a truck travelling in overtaking lane suddenly took a U Turn. Six people in car lost their lives for no fault of theirs. .
This is not an accident but murder. Hope the truck driver is caught and punished by law.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 11th May 2024 at 22:53.
Old 12th May 2024, 10:29   #40437
BHPian

No matter who's fault it is, the loser here would be their loved ones.

Wouldn't it be kind and respectful for us to stop name calling/using words that may hurt someone reading our posts. No matter who is at fault.

Surely, We can choose better.
Boomerang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2024, 10:45   #40438
BHPian

Yet another Delhi Mumbai e-way accident today morning near Dausa when a car slowed down (another source reports they actually stopped on the side of the road!) to avoid a stray animal (either a nilgai or a bull) that came onto the expressway and was, in turn, rammed by a truck from behind.

3, including husband and wife, in their 30s were killed on the spot. 5 of the same traveling party are admitted in Bandikui hospital. You could google ''dausa expressway accident today" for more details. One link is below -

https://www.indiatvnews.com/rajastha...4-05-12-930893 mentions the animal was a cow (the hindi version of our local paper, dainik bhaskar, mentioned a bull, another a blue-bull)

The family was transiting from Ahmedabad to Haridwar for the last rites of their deceased mother.

Very sad and scary and two questions -

There were claims by authorities of barricades on road-side that would not allow stray animals, what about that?

If the car was indeed parked on the side of the road, how could anyone not see them and just ram their vehicle into it? Isnt the extreme side lane meant for stopping on the e-way?

Last edited by vaibhav_a_a : 12th May 2024 at 11:04.
Old 12th May 2024, 11:15   #40439

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
... Yes, bicycle riders can experience target fixation as much as a motorcycle rider. ...
Fixation may have caused this accident.
The road in the subject is Container road which is relatively occupied by lorries and tankers for accessing the shipment harbour. I ride my bike few times through this road as it is felt to be safe.

It is unfortunate that there are trashy bikers like this in the OP who choose to overspeed putting the lives of many in danger. There is someone filming this entire episode too which makes it all the more to side with the cyclist. Hope the cyclist is safe.

https://www.onmanorama.com/news/kera...-2-killed.html

This accident occurred on a busy highway.

My colleague who commuted by that road said the biker tried to swerve in between the KSRTC bus stopped in the front and an approaching Garuda bus which failed to spot the biker and the pillion rider.

My colleague expressed that the death of bikers was gory that the torso of the pillion rider was stuck inside the bumper of Garuda bus and the remaining part on the road. The rider was reduced to fractured piece on the bike itself.

Last edited by Axe77 : 13th May 2024 at 12:20. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
cuthbertcalc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2024, 12:30   #40440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuthbertcalc View Post
Fixation may have caused this accident.
The road in the subject is Container road which is relatively occupied by lorries and tankers for accessing the shipment harbour. I ride my bike few times through this road as it is felt to be safe.

It is unfortunate that there are trashy bikers like this in the OP who choose to overspeed putting the lives of many in danger. There is someone filming this entire episode too which makes it all the more to side with the cyclist. Hope the cyclist is safe.
I kept silent up until now. You spotted the "filming" well. I hazard a guess that he was waiting to film the biker involved in the crash, the biker overtook from the left most part of the road, too. Possibly they thought left lane will avoid a dangerous intersection.

Basically, I put down all these accidents to lack of training and a sense of entitlement. Referring to another couple of incidents, say a truck takes a sudden U Turn in the middle of the road and one crashes into it, it is accident. But when one fails to notice an intersection and hits someone at the intersection, it is more often caused by negligence and / or entitlement. In this case, it was negligence by the cyclist, entitlement by the biker. It is very tough to guage the speeds of vehicles when crossing the roads, and when taking turns at such intersections, one is at the risk of being both rear-ended or side swiped.

Most such incidents can be avoided if the drivers on the straights slow down at intersections AND take the middle lane or left lane. However, our Indian mentality is always to go past the person trying to turn and speed up when you see a clear intention of the person to turn. I encounter this daily, with bikers squeezing through from left when I am already on left lane, slowed down, and indicating that I want to turn left. Or, when I have to turn right and patiently turning right, people would pass me from the right, or even ahead of me when coming from the opposite direction. They even try to jump the speed Breaker installed to prevent that very behaviour, and try to use all the real estate on the left lane and intersection (T) to pass the turning vehicle.

I think what makes India a challenge is that most of us leart driving manners on a two-wheeler. It meant that we take up every possible piece of road available. When you add cars to the mix, it creates chaos. The bigger vehicles continue to be driven like a two-wheeler. Less said about licensing, the better.
theabstractmind is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed