Team-BHP - Accidents in India | Pics & Videos
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Accidents in India | Pics & Videos (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/109249-accidents-india-pics-videos-2694.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamNikhil (Post 5762437)
A heavily overloaded lorry topples-over in what seems to be a ghat section. The windshield breaks and the driver has a miraculous escape.

I thought that bend looked familiar and I'm pretty sure it's here: https://www.google.com/maps/@12.0563...6656?entry=ttu

It's on NH 66 between Kannur and Payyanur and it's a part of a series of similar uphill bends. The new highway will bypass most of these. To no one's surprise you can also see a bus overtake on the turn just as a biker is approaching!

Quote:

Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 (Post 5762771)
Overloaded Bolero pickup carrying 35 people; Dead of the night; Driver drunk; Near Raipur, Chattisgarh; Hits parked truck; Perfect recipe for disaster; 9 killed including 5 women and 3 kids!

Well, it probably happens only in India. An old vehicle (don't know if the vehicle was fit and documents were in order), overloaded with 35 pax on board against legal 5 or 7, Driver drunk, a truck parked on road again probably without any hazard blinkers or parking lights ON ( may not even have working parking lights) and some dead people.

In our country, value for life is almost non existent. Being world's most populous nation, a few dead here and there doesn't ruffle feathers any more. Infact such accidents happen so regularly/ repeatedly that it's off the people's mind even before it registers. No one even blinks or pause anymore. It's mainstream. Sad but true.

We need an overhaul from grassroots level. Right from education to drivers before and after getting a driver's licence, education to the PWD for proper road construction, signage, facilities such as truck bay etc, education to the RTO to formulate rules and policies for safer road usage, police patrol, ambulance availablity etc and more. There's a whole bunch of people who need a lot of education and implementation.

I don't see anything happening in this sphere in this country and we are probably looking at a few decades more when a whole new younger generation with better education, common sense and knowledge will bring down the number of road accidents and fatalities.

So, all we can do is guys, you be careful while driving/riding out there. Drive/ride within your capability and be vigilant and stay safe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by asmr (Post 5761607)
Well, it is called ego. I have seen this happen way too many times to even keep count. The one driving a bigger, powerful & costlier car thinks it would be an insult to their status if they let a smaller, less powerful and "cheaper" car overtake them.

Happened with me too and I was repeatedly told the same. I was waiting to enter the institution I work in and a lady in an Audi reverses on to me. I drive in, park and try to find the lady but she has gone or so I think. Her husband finds me having coffee and wants compensation!!

His point, "you you wanted to run away, you parked your car so well!" and "you should know which cars to give way to and which to hit!!"
The lady's, "how dare a nexon (with a sneer in her voice), come close to my Audi"

regards Kaps454

Former Bengaluru police chief Bhaskar Rao injured in major road accident, SUV topples 3 times

Link: https://www.hindustantimes.com/citie...701768948.html

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-gmlxsujwaae3qgg_1714703235206_1714703251660.jpeg

Quote:

Rao was travelling between Anantpur and Kadri in Andhra Pradesh along with three others in a Toyota Innova Hybrid Hycross when they escaped a head on collision with a truck by mere inches, but ended up brushing against it severely. This led to their car toppling over three times, leaving one occupant, Venky, critically injured and in the ICU.

Encountered this while driving down from Ooty via Gudalur. There seemed to be no one in the vehicle and no other vehicle involved. I cannot ascertain how this happened or what it struck as there are no crash barriers or trees that were hit. Any ideas as to what could have caused it?

Just see the First 1 Min of each of the Video

Front Cam
https://youtu.be/Hiy572NYyro

Reverse Cam
https://youtu.be/r7mcef8k-Uo

Two SUV's (Brezza and Duster) collided and this resulted into the deaths of six passengers including an infant. They were killed after a head-on collision between the two speeding SUVs on a flyover on Akola-Washim highway near Nanasahib Nagar, Patur, in Akola district at around 2 pm on Friday 03.05.24. Three persons were seriously injured in the accident. Akola (Maharashtra) SP Bachchan Singh, who visited the spot, told TOI that one of the SUVs was being driven on the wrong side before they rammed into each other at high speed. “Three persons from each car were killed. We have registered an offence (under 304A of the IPC for causing death due to negligence) against the deceased driver (Siddharth Ingle) of the SUV which was being driven on the wrong side,” said Singh adding the case was registered at Patur police station. The deceased include three relatives of Amravati Teacher constituency MLC Kiran Sarnaik, while two of his other kin were injured. Sarnaik’s kin were travelling in Renault Duster SUV which was headed towards Akola from Washim.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-nagpur-city-line_20240504.jpeg

Photo by The Hitavada

http://toi.in/l39_Ha

The Times of India newslink

Quote:

Originally Posted by AltoLXI (Post 5762427)
Accident in Rajajinagar, Bengaluru. Camera shows the date.

Such accidents are quite frequent on narrow perpendicular intersections that were from the earlier part of the last century, when maybe bicycles, cycle rickshaws and rarely a two wheeler or a very rarely a car would traverse such stretches. Rajajinagar came up in 1949. These narrow lanes and intersections were simply not designed for today's "me first" or the "wannabe Schumacher" type drivers who care two hoots for their own and for others safety.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 (Post 5764625)
Two SUV's (Brezza and Duster) collided and this resulted into the deaths of six passengers including an infant. They were killed after a head-on collision between the two speeding SUVs on a flyover.

SP Bachchan Singh, who visited the spot, told TOI that one of the SUVs was being driven on the wrong side before they rammed into each other at high speed. “Three persons from each car were killed.

It's sad to read about these accidents that happen regularly resulting in the death of innocent passengers.

Every bridge / flyover with 2 lane road has a solid continguos yellow line in the centre dividing the road into 2 sections. There are many bridges / flyovers in Goa and I have seen the solid yellow contiguous line from beginning to end of the bridge/ flyover.

A solid yellow line on an Indian road indicates that crossing the line to overtake is not permitted. Yellow lines are placed based on traffic flow and visibility to ensure safe overtaking. These areas are prone to accidents and should be approached with extreme caution

There's a reason for having the solid yellow line on the flyovers. There's virtually no wriggle room on a bridge/ flyover if something goes wrong.

On a normal road, there's some wriggle room to escape when 2 vehicles see themselves face to face. Even at the last moment, either one or both the vehicle can veer off the road reducing the impact/ fatality/ injury. I mean the drivers have a last ditch option (pun unintended). That's sadly missing on a flyover. There's no tolerance or wriggle room for the driver. He has no where to go.. and that's why the yellow line is there. Mandatory no crossing the lane (white line is cautionary while yellow line is mandatory).

Another phenomenon I have personally noticed with some drivers when they see a vehicle coming from opposite side in their lane on a bridge is that instead of slowing down they actually speed up ("I will teach him a lesson. How dare he?"- mentality). He never thinks that if the other driver doesn't back down to his lane, then a horrific accident is inevitable.

Overtaking on a bridge/ flyover is strictly forbidden. There are specific multiple signboards in this regard (No overtaking) along with speed limit/ No stopping/ no mobile usage signboards. But we are Indians. We don't care.

I mention the above facts because everytime I am on a flyover/bridge here in Goa, I have a iron clad rule - No overtaking on the bridge. Sometimes it's very tempting to overtake when a very slow moving vehicle/bus is laboriously trudging ahead and the road is otherwise empty on the opposite lane. However this is where patience and discipline comes to play. No overtaking. Follow the bus till the end of flyover and then once the yellow line disappear overtake carefully and cautiously. That's how it's done. But we are Indians and we don't care.

Sorry for the lives lost. A lifelong pain for the living family members

Quote:

We have registered an offence (under 304A of the IPC for causing death due to negligence) against the deceased driver (Siddharth Ingle) of the SUV which was being driven on the wrong side,”
I don't understand this. How does registering an offense against the deceased driver help? Is it for Motor Accident Tribunal compensation purpose or police want to close the file ASAP or police have to do it that way?. The deceased driver anyways won't be arguing his case anytime soon. So it's a one-way case right?.

Drive safe people. And never overtake when you see a solid yellow line in the middle of the road. And be cautious when there's a solid white line on the road ( you see them on every turn on the road while straight roads will have broken white line indicating - overtaking permitted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 (Post 5764625)
Akola (Maharashtra) SP Bachchan Singh, who visited the spot, told TOI that one of the SUVs was being driven on the wrong side before they rammed into each other at high speed. “Three persons from each car were killed. We have registered an offence (under 304A of the IPC for causing death due to negligence) against the deceased driver (Siddharth Ingle) of the SUV which was being driven on the wrong side,” said Singh

I thank the almighty that the cop didn't have the audacity to announce that the deceased driver's licence has been revoked for driving on the wrong side!

Quote:

Originally Posted by crdi (Post 5764846)
I thank the almighty that the cop didn't have the audacity to announce that the deceased driver's licence has been revoked for driving on the wrong side!

Registering an offence against deceased is a routine practice. Probably required for insurance settlements.

Seemed to be a possible upcoming VIP movement on this road, so a few traffic cops were present where there are usually none. The cop at this corner stopped traffic from the right as soon as our light turned green, and was walking back to the footpath when he suddenly realized the cars weren't moving. He ran back (I could not see immediately what the trouble was), and proceeded to sort out a collision between a truck and a Scorpio.

The Scorpio people were spoiling for a fight, but the truck simply drove away once the cop told him to keep moving.
https://youtu.be/8HBiQUXb1u0

Yet another case of attentive driver (Bus driver) saving one life;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtIaslUC8kk

Tough question;
Although its culpable on part of the car driver since he hit from the back, is it really possible to avoid such 'day dreamer' vehicles (like that two wheeler lucky fellow) on the road.

At the least, hope they both learned an invaluable lesson that day

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarathlal (Post 5766326)
Tough question ... ... ... is it really possible to avoid such 'day dreamer' vehicles (like that two wheeler lucky fellow) on the road.

Easy question. It is possible, necessary, and our responsibility to do so. It is our fault if we don't.

It's an easy answer, but it is tough one. I'm not pretending it's easy. When some people will just stop, to answer the phone, think about where they are going, or who-knows-why!

Turned a corner on an urban flyover a couple of weeks back. Immediately in front of me, around the blind corner (repeat: on a flyover!) was a stationery biker, mid lane, dead ahead. I had to stamp on the brakes. There was an auto close behind me: I'm guessing he was observing the road ahead and saw the biker soon after I did. Else he might have joined me in the car :Shockked:

Horrible accident on Delhi Mumbai Expressway (DME) when a truck travelling in overtaking lane suddenly took a U Turn. Six people in car lost their lives for no fault of theirs. Truck didn’t even bother to stop. Instead, it just completed the U-Turn and continued on the wrong side.

https://x.com/drivesmart_in/status/1...645963983?s=46
(Posting a link of the video as I don’t know how to download a video from X)

I had pointed out in the DME thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post5719614) about this wrong side driving and wrong lane menace on the expressway with no enforcement. It seems like authorities are only busy collecting tolls.

Om Shanti

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amity (Post 5766378)
Horrible accident on Delhi Mumbai Expressway (DME) when a truck travelling in overtaking lane suddenly took a U Turn. Six people in car lost their lives for no fault of theirs. Truck didn’t even bother to stop. Instead, it just completed the U-Turn and continued on the wrong side.

Om Shanti

Tragic incident. This is not an accident, this amounts to Murder. There was no indication by the idiot on his intention to make a U turn. Such tragic loss of life for no reason.