Team-BHP - Accidents in India | Pics & Videos
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Accidents in India | Pics & Videos (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/109249-accidents-india-pics-videos-2688.html)

This Punch driver crashed into a clump of fallen tree branches while busy on his mobile, then reversed out, and continued to the next red light, where he continued to fiddle with his mobile, and nearly rear-ended my stationary car. I don't have a rear dashcam in this car, though.

https://youtu.be/oeevW260s60?si=dZRnwru8G-I1PkZ9

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS-Traveller (Post 5756841)
This Punch driver crashed into a clump of fallen tree branches while busy on his mobile, then reversed out, and continued to the next red light, where he continued to fiddle with his mobile, and nearly rear-ended my stationary car. I don't have a rear dashcam in this car, though.

https://youtu.be/oeevW260s60?si=dZRnwru8G-I1PkZ9

Yes this trend of texting or meddling with mobile phones at the wheels is really annoying. Some keep it on their lap and glued to it, occassionally taking a glimpse at the road ahead, while the vehicle is still in motion. They should realise that seat is meant for a Telephone operator. As a driver, he/she is responsible for lives and things around. When will our learned community behave??

In the last 3 weeks, both our cars have been damaged by reckless two-wheeler riders.

Yesterday evening (20/04/2024) at around 7pm, 100 meters from Atrium Apartments in Adyar, a two-wheeler ridden by a decent appearing educated guy (assuming by the appearance), while overtaking from the left and trying to navigate between my car and a parked car on the street in an extremely narrow gap, hit my car and damaged the front bumper.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20240420_193143932_hdr_ae.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20240420_193151692.jpg

I was behind him for about 30 seconds, following the incident, on that street while he was stuck behind the car in front of me and kept honking at him for the entire 30 seconds (while we both were on the move), but he did not bother to stop and apologize, let alone take responsibility for the damage done.

I could not recognise the bike make and model, nor do I remember the registration number (it was TN22 something), but if the biker is reading this, I want to say just one thing: SHAME ON YOU!

A similar incident took place in the first week of April, when my father was driving the Fiesta on ECR. A biker damaged the front bumper in a similar manner.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20240331wa0012.jpg

Now my question/concern about today's incident is: why don't people take responsibility for their mistakes? I understand mistakes do happen, but why run away? If you are emotionally or financially weak to accept the consequences following your mistakes, then why be so reckless on the road?

At the end of the day, I am left with 2 broken front bumpers.

Thanks for reading.

Let me tell you what the top guy in the RTO told me when I went for my driver's license test in Chennai (2015): "See, I'm going to give license here to everyone seated before me. But it is your responsibility to stay alive when you step out on the road"

RTO will never take responsibility unless they are pulled up by the courts.

On the other hand, the heat in Chennai right now will be taking a toll on bike riders and it might be one of the reasons for such reckless behaviour.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deathwalkr (Post 5756427)
Some interesting charts from the MORTH website regarding accidents.

In total number of accidents (2022) Kerala is at #3 behind Tamil Nadu and Madhya Pradhesh.

Is there anyway to get the number of accidents vs density of cars per 1000.

Recorded this yesterday, just ahead of Alandur Metro Station, Chennai. (Towards airport).
Was approaching the curve, so couldn't see the reason why it happened.

https://youtu.be/lBwBtybLhow?si=DDG1hl4rbdfzbIFB

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbohead (Post 5757230)
Let me tell you what the top guy in the RTO told me when I went for my driver's license test in Chennai (2015): "See, I'm going to give license here to everyone seated before me. But it is your responsibility to stay alive when you step out on the road" ...

Actually, I'm delighted to hear that he gave you this advice. He probably tells it to everyone, but I wonder how many listen. We see, every day, that a substantial number of drivers on our streets regard safety as everybody else's problem.

We all know the deficiency of the Indian training/testing/licencing system. There is no dispute that it puts drivers with no or bad training on the road every day. How many people ever fail the test, for four or two wheels? Common sense suggests that there should be a proportion. Experience (I saw 2-wheelers who could hardly balance; I bet they got their licences) says probably few if any.

In my mother country, lots of people fail. I did, first time: due to a sudden attack of nerves it started badly and went down hill from there!

The best and strictest of systems cannot take responsibility for what people do when they have that full licence in their hands. But yes, I do agree that the process should be a lot harder.

My native is Kayamkulam in Kerala and due to my official commitments, I was staying in Chennai and Mumbai. Hence I did approximately 25+ drives from Chennai to Kayamkulam and also 10+ drives from Mumbai to Kayamkulam (both via hosur-salem and goa-manglore route) in last 4 years.

I found the road infrastructure in TN the best followed by KA, KL and MH. Regarding driving nature, again I admire highway driving of TN people the most. Somehow I find them as caring of their own business compared to KL where people are egoistic while on road. KSRTCs are like I don't care about anyone else on the road, Private buses (especially in Ernakulam and Guruvayoor-Calicut route) are operating like goons, Auto rikshaws are like don't know how to slow and take turns(don't ever dare to teach them), private car owners are most ego filled and last but not the least, the two wheelers are like never ever will give way. KA and MH highway driving I feel like all minding their own business.

Now coming to city driving I used to drive 45 kms a day through Chennai city every day. Now in Mumbai I am driving 90 kms daily. Both Mumbai and Chennai I found horrible as far as driving is concerned. Especially on any junctions, people are like competing with each other in driving. Two wheelers driving on footpaths, Rickshaws even cars driving wrong direction etc. all we can witness here.No one will give a second of their time to stop for you and will never share even an inch of space on the road. Cochin is also not an exception but limited density of four/two wheelers compared to Mumbai and Chennai makes it feel a bit comfortable to drive.

These are solely based on my driving experiences in the states of TN,KA,KL and MH.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocwithFiesta (Post 5757183)
In the last 3 weeks, both our cars have been damaged by reckless two-wheeler riders.

Thanks for reading.

Same thing happened to me couple of months back, guy in Activa trying to squeeze between median and my car during peak traffic, his footpedal just took my entire front bumper.

He just escaped didn't even have a courtesy to even apologize.

I might be found little rude, but off late i see increasing number of two-wheelers having an attitude towards cars like they have insurance\money let them suffer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgmuser (Post 5757339)
Is there anyway to get the number of accidents vs density of cars per 1000.

Couldn't find a statewise splitup based on vehicle density and accidents. I assume that 's what you were asking for.

But wiki does have vehicle density details.

Guess you could mix and match? :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian...er_of_vehicles

We need to see the statistics in a slightly different context.Its entirely depends on the number of issues get reported to authorities. For example In kerala most of the accedent get registered in police atleast through a GD entry or a 112 call. So the data will be there. Same may be the case With TN. There is an interesting video about the crime rate in India. It's a bit old one,but still have the relevance. Watch from 4 minutes.
https://youtu.be/2EH6OWMUCnI?si=7Pof0LwtJSOkeX7n

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinetic (Post 5756276)
Do Kerala roads have more CCTV and dashcam-equipped cars, or do a disproportionate number of Kerala drivers not care about life and limb when driving?

Too many narrow roads with no shoulder. High population density even along suburban roads. More percentage of the population owning vehicles than national average. And yes more CCTVs and Dashcams.

Some of these I cannot prove with data. My perception over the years.

I feel safer driving in Kochi City than Bangalore City. But we have our fair share of bad apples in Kerala, can't say we are any different in driving than rest of the country collectively.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS-Traveller (Post 5756841)

This cell phone driving has became so irritation these days, I see people driving on right lane and fiddling with mobile phones and causing severe traffic obstruction to vehicles behind :Frustrati. And comes the autos, Thanks to unlimited internet they peep their faces onto cell phones and slid through the lanes, and I always fear from which side they come and scratch my car.

Actor Pankaj Tripathi's brother-in-law dies in road accident

At first glance, the collision does not appear to be severe enough to claim anyone's life.

However, I saw that the car involved was a second-generation Swift with no airbags. I suspect the driver was struck in the chest by the steering wheel and had internal injuries.

Observe the innocent woman who had a near call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sak_8LjNcY

Quote:

Driving tests in Kerala: AG's audit report exposes glaring deficiencies
Quote:

An audit report submitted by the Principal Accountant General (AG) to the transport commissioner has exposed significant shortcomings in driving test facilities across Kerala.

Shockingly, 34 of the examined grounds lacked a parking track alongside the mandatory H track.

Furthermore, seat belts were not utilized during tests at 31 grounds, potentially compromising safety standards. This oversight allows test-takers to manipulate the H track by looking back, as noted in the report.

Moreover, the audit highlighted that 20 testing grounds failed to enforce helmet usage during two-wheeler tests, while an equal number conducted road tests within the premises.

Quote:

Additionally, 16 driving school instructors were observed intervening during tests, undermining the integrity of the evaluation process.

Link

As it is, the driving tests are laughable. And then we have all these happening. Its no wonder that these driving school guys (almost literally) took up arms against minister Ganesh Kumar's proposed changes.

When I appeared for the test, nearly 2 decades ago, it was just the same. I didnt wear seatbelts, and my driving school instructor stood in the middle of the H track to guide me. For my 2 wheeler test, I didnt get a helmet, and the instructor actually launched me into the track. Looks like things havent changed much.