Team-BHP - Accidents in India | Pics & Videos
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Accidents in India | Pics & Videos (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/109249-accidents-india-pics-videos-2679.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashkamath (Post 5746343)
it was just a potholes 2 lane and drivers struggled to maintain 50 Kmph.

Now, we have the new Zuari Cable stay bridge built and a 6 lane highway built and most drivers do excess of 120-140 kph regularly now. Some superbikes go excess of 150 kph. A small miss here or there and disaster strikes.

So, you have better infrastructure, but I believe our Indian mindset hasn't yet learnt to drive responsibly and within stipulated limits.

Very true sir,

When you have been deprived of something for an extended period of time and then receive it, you do not take the time to fully appreciate it.

This is the human inclination, and I am no exception. My residence is 20 kilometers from NH7. Until I turned 19, there was no suitable road connecting to NH7. There was a single lane road in such poor shape that a brisk walker could have arrived faster than a Jeep. In brief, it used to take around one hour and thirty minutes to travel 20 KMs. Nobody was interested in overtaking, unless he was allergic to dust. Everyone was pleased with the slow pace because speed would have resulted in a broken back.

I am attaching a sample image for illustration. The first image depicted the breadth of the road, while the second showed the state of the road. In reality, the road condition in the second picture is better than it was at the time.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-roads.png

In 1999, development began, and by 2000, we had a wonderful 1.5-lane asphalt road. The journey, which previously took 90 minutes, was now completed in 30 minutes by bike. (Sample image)
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-pmgsy.jpg

I also had Commander, and the speed governor was set to 80 km/h, yet I couldn't travel faster than 20 km/h on the route. With this new sparkling black road and the Mahindra Marshal's top speed of 140, my buddies competed to see who could complete the fastest. I was doing around 140 on my Mahindra Marshal Royale.

Overtaking was once enjoyable, but it has since evolved into a game of self-esteem and pride.

That new road has taken many lives, including one of my best friends, who was doing 100 on a Suzuki Max 100 with wafer-thin tyres.

The initial excitement of the new road developed into a lethal game.

There were four railway crossings, and in the days of single-lane (no) roads, people used to drive carefully. When two-lane roads were introduced, people began using both lanes to line up vehicles on either side of a rail crossing and then creating deadlocks.

It's been 24 years, two generations have seen good roads since birth, and they are more responsible than we are for utilizing them. Fatalities have fallen dramatically. Mr Gadkari is doing a fantastic job of enforcing stringent surveillance and hefty penalties.

What I meant to say was that it would take some time for Indians to use the newly created infrastructure wisely, but we will get there. Exceptions exist everywhere.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sumitchauhan073 (Post 5746543)
This one happened just today.

The 2 wheeler rider is 100% at fault. He was undertaking at a junction. A "good" two wheeler rider would not assume that the vehicle was going straight ahead, just because the truck was not indicating a left turn. What if the indicator was "broken"?

Hopefully he learned a lesson after getting away without injury. However, I doubt it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish (Post 5746494)
A freak accident is reported from Kerala, where a truck hit the overhanging cables and went along with them,pulling a lady biker along with the wires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO01TNGkdR4

https://www.asianetnews.com/kerala-n...lly-sts-sauejk

In the UK we have a minimum height clearance on all roads of 16 feet 6 inches (5.03 MTRS). If the clearance is lower it must be clearly signed both on and before the "low" structure.
I assume India has a similar standard. If so, the power or phone company is at fault for negligence and should fully compensate the injured party.

A weekend treat at Fateh Kachori in Delhi's Kashmiri Gate area turned into a nightmare for dozens when a speeding Mercedes SUV drove into the popular food joint, leaving six people injured.

According to the police, SUV was driven by a 36 year old Lawyer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZXxI3s8Ly0

Quote:

Originally Posted by na_agrawal (Post 5745941)
He left home at 6:00 am as per his flatmate. And dies at 6:10 am while doing 140 kmph as per the news report/cctv.

I understand the meaning of joy rides at early wee hours of the day. BUT, he was doing insane speeds within city boundaries just 10 minutes later. He should've given some time to adjust to the body's lethargy of the early morning. Should've given some time for the eyes to adjust to the color of dawn. Should've gotten a feel of the bike and surroundings. Should've given some time to the mechanicals of the bike to heat up just for the sake of mechanical sympathy. I believe, all these stands true for any rider of any sort of expertise in riding.

He was probably a novice and wasn't capable of handling a litre class in a proper way. Secondly, no mention of safety gear in the news, who knows what he was wearing.

Such a sad loss for a brilliant boy. /\

~NA.
Ride safe!

This looks like the Golf Course Road stretch next to Cyber Hub/World Laparoscopy Hospital.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20240402-142651.png

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.png

This stretch is hardly 500m and has sharp curves on both ends. Speed limit on this road is 50kmph, with rumble strips at frequent intervals. In his direction, he was approaching a rumble strip and immediately after that, there is a 90-degree left curve. Any sane person should not try to achieve 140 kmph there. One can do 60-70 if the stretch is empty but anything more means inviting the inevitable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RM Motorsports (Post 5747485)
a speeding Mercedes SUV drove into the popular food joint, leaving six people injured.

The traffic on the road seems to be moving quite slowly. How come this driver could reach this speed? Maybe some coverage of the road outside will show what antics he was up to.

I hope this lawyer does not lawyer himself out of the consequences.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 5747552)
The traffic on the road seems to be moving quite slowly. How come this driver could reach this speed?

One more thing i noticed is it was quite a hard impact and a head on impact against the wall, still the airbags didn't deploy ??

Quote:

Originally Posted by RM Motorsports (Post 5747580)
One more thing i noticed is it was quite a hard impact and a head on impact against the wall, still the airbags didn't deploy ??

It was not a high speed impact. If you observe the video, people saw and moved away. The car was somewhat drivable and reversed easily

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashkamath (Post 5746343)
I have been riding/ driving over 45 years now, and still in one piece, thanks to common sense, following road rules, anticipation, courtesy & giving space to other road users and riding within my limits and capabilities.

Touchwood, I hope you remain safe and live a long life brother.

In my opinion, a lot of accidents happen because of the fact that people expect others to accommodate them on the road when making sharp cuts and interceptions from lane to lane. They forget the fact that not everyone has the reflexes of an F1 driver and that people are often driving in autopilot mode while their mind is somewhere else due to the tediousness of driving in heavy traffic.

Furthermore, people have the misconception that "nothing will happen to me" and avoid wearing helmets with full confidence in their abilities when in reality accidents don't necessarily happen because of your own inability or mistake but someone else's.

Besides I think practices like the removal of side mirrors on bikes in order to get that extra bit of ability to wiggle through traffic should be avoided as far as possible because accidents often happen when one is trying to save that one extra second of time.

Yesterday evening around 8:30 pm, I was returning home and driving on the Greater Noida - Noida expressway.

Traffic was moderate to high and I was in the middle lane. Suddenly out of nowhere a biker overtook me from right and cut across inches away from my car. I was driving at 80 kmph and surely the bike was slightly faster, may be around 85 or 90 kmph.

The way he manoeuvred his bike, I literally had a heart-in-mouth moment. lol:

I immediately slowed down and drove sedately for a while.

i10 hits Jeep Meridian and Jeep toppled promptly. Looks like both parties are wrong for not slowing down at the junction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TRew5VdueA

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinharishi (Post 5746459)
I have just started riding, although it is fun but you are so vulnerable out on the road. My buddy who got me into motorbikes made me buy full gear first. I was riddled by many as I spent decent amount on my gear for a first timer. I got my gear 2 months before I got my first bike delivered. Just yesterday I was at Chopra and a biker saw my bluarmour c30, asked me how sturdy the device it for highway riding, I said yes have used it at 110 kmph and no issues so far. He and his friends laughed it off saying we ride at 200+ kmph. The chap had a insta360 mounted on his helmet that obstructed his view! The more I meet folks on 2-wheelers, the more I see how most of them take it casually!

Ride safe!

For such people everything is casual including their lives. Ignore them and continue riding safely with proper gear until your health permits you, live happily till you die because of old age surrounded by your relatives. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrakHorseBarhat (Post 5748006)
In my opinion, a lot of accidents happen because of the fact that people expect others to accommodate them on the road when making sharp cuts and interceptions from lane to lane. They forget the fact that not everyone has the reflexes of an F1 driver and that people are often driving in autopilot mode while their mind is somewhere else due to the tediousness of driving in heavy traffic.

They forget that it is not the job of others to get out of their way, or to make room for them in places where they shouldn't even be.
Quote:

removal of side mirrors on bikes should be avoided as far as possible
Should be avoided always. The things should be required by law to be welded in place!

But even that wouldn't make people look at them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTX+ (Post 5748101)
Traffic was moderate to high and I was in the middle lane. Suddenly out of nowhere a biker overtook me from right and cut across inches away from my car.

Whether at high or low speed, this overtaking then cutting across is, at best, very bad road manners, and at worse, potentially lethal. It is one of those habits that makes me just think Why? Why did they bother with the overtake even, let alone take the risk. Why?

Here's my incident of the evening, and it is sooo stupid! My stupidity.

I stopped the car on the left side of our road to get out and open our gate. I got out, shut the door, waited for a couple of bikers to pass and took a step, but out of the corner of my eye, I noticed my car moving. Quite quickly too! I had to take a jump to the door and jump in to grab the handbrake.

Some fellow stopped and gave me a lecture in Tamil, which I didn't understand, so I just looked humble and stupid, which I felt anyway. I suspect it amounted to "If you don't know to put the brake on in the wandi you shouldn't be driving the wandi..." True that!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 5748445)
Here's my incident of the evening, and it is sooo stupid! My stupidity.

I feel you. I had an embarrassing incident long ago, when I was getting the hang of driving a small car within right spaces.

I took a very robust reverse from my apartment ramp onto the road. I promise, it was unintentionally done. I did not know that pressing the accelerator hard while reversing would cause the car to almost fly backwards (it was an old i10). To make it worse, I had my steering wheel turned and I went out in a wide parabola.

I banged straight into a parked Bullet on the road, which promptly toppled over and the right hand mirror shattered.

The owner came running from a nearby tea shop and started yelling at me. "Are you a learner? Don't you know how to how to drive properly?"

I pointed at the red L sticker on my car and concurred respectfully. He broke into a wry grin after that, even a bystander started chortling. I paid him 500₹ to get his mirror fixed and that was that.

After that, I generally am very careful about reversing out into a road. And give enough space and patience to the driving school cars when I encounter them. We've all been that anxious learner once.

Quote:

but out of the corner of my eye, I noticed my car moving. Quite quickly too! I had to take a jump to the door and jump in to grab the handbrake.

Guess it happens to the best of them. Happened to my father in his m800. Only scary part? I was in the backseat and car rolled backwards and hit a wall crossing a narrow road.

Thankfully no damage to anyone or anything other than my dad's pride.

I was maybe 4 or 5 i think and scared witless! :coldsweat

Quote:

I noticed my car moving. Quite quickly too! I had to take a jump to the door and jump in to grab the handbrake.

That can be quite dangerous. It will be better to quickly grab a big stone and place it under one of the wheels. There will be no dearth of them on our roads!