Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2024, 10:15   #40081
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnutfrombanga View Post
https://Youtu.be/_wjsOV7kBZc

My wife and I took the lady to a Hospital, tests revealed no serious injuries apart from a bit of swelling and bleeding on the head and an arm, doctors gave her an all clear, quite lucky considering the impact.
Acting as a devil's advocate, one thing I could say in favour of the cyclist is that, if upon seeing the cyclist trying to cross over to the left side of the road, OP could have slowed down further keeping more gap between self and cyclist so that the vehicle approaching from left (the one that hit the cyclist) could have had a better view of the cyclist.

But I understand, hindsight is always 20/20.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th March 2024 at 14:19. Reason: Minor spacing for readability
rajivr1612 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 10:29   #40082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
And it is extreme madness to do so without looking properly.
It's a pandemic. Most riders, be it a bike, scooty, bicycle just assume that other road users will accommodate them no matter how they ride. Helmets and other accessories for safe riding doesn't exist in their mind. What they don't consider is that bigger the vehicle the more time it takes to stop. Riding a 2 wheeler in India is a big gamble and that's why I keep suppressing the urge to get a bike for myself.

Last edited by Axe77 : 20th March 2024 at 03:40. Reason: Typo.
harry10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 11:58   #40083

This accident happened yesterday on the Meerut Baghpat Highway. It is a single-lane road with no divider in between. At around 01:30 AM, a Nexon crashed into a sewer pipe lying on the side of the highway in order to save a cow which appeared suddenly out of nowhere. Airbags deployed, and the front passengers are safe. The rear passengers were not wearing seat belts, and one got a fractured leg, while the other is in ICU. This incident highlights the importance of wearing seat belts for rear passengers as well.

Pics:
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-a07f33e3ac574188836a2d7f2038952c.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-696d89b805144537879391e17c080c5f.jpeg
Autoenthu91 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 14:09   #40084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Again it could be anybody's fault.
No problem. It appeared the prosecution produced evidence which proved the defense's innocence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
They are not the usual aam aadmi riders, their bicycles will be worth as much as motorbikes if not more.
I agree with the cycling fad. I see many cyclists navigating among a sea of cars, buses, trucks, autos & two-wheelers. Some in fast lanes. I have seen an instance of cyclists riding against the traffic in the fast lane. They are taking tremendous risks. But in this case, the lady appeared to use the cycle for her routine work.

Last edited by Axe77 : 20th March 2024 at 03:41. Reason: Typo. ("busses")
msdivy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 16:10   #40085
Distinguished - BHPian

And another thing about cyclists: lights are unheard and unthought of. The most vulnerable person on the road is the unlit cyclist in dusk or darkness. Many poorer people cycle, not for their health, but for the only transport they can afford. I think that, for instance, many domestic workers use a bicycle. The only people I have ever known to use bicycle lights are wealthy persons who are cycling for health/choice.

My wife tells me that, a few decades ago, cycling without lights attracted police attention!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 14th March 2024 at 16:11.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 16:21   #40086
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ It is foolish, no, absolute madness to ride a bicycle on Indian roads.....
Ride it only in very safe places. Such as cycling tracks inside one's gated communities.
Gated communities are not safe either. I have seen how some people drive even within gated communities. "Hey, there's an accelerator pedal on the floor. We must stand on it", seems to be the general attitude. Cyclists are safe only in a fenced off cyclists-only area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
...upon seeing the cyclist trying to cross over to the left side of the road, OP could have slowed down .... left (the one that hit the cyclist) could have had a better view of the cyclist.
It may sound bitter but, "Could have, would have, should have..." doesn't work in our country. It's a total mayhem. Total anarchy. We drive like zombies. Not at all a safe country for cyclists and pedestrians. There have been multiple cases of pedestrians/early morning joggers-walkers being knocked down by speeding vehicles even when they were at the shoulder of the road. There are even cases where vehicles mounted sidewalks and knocked down pedestrians. In short, don't cycle, don't walk on our roads. As harsh as it may sound, that would be the right thing to do.
pgsagar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 16:43   #40087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My wife tells me that, a few decades ago, cycling without lights attracted police attention!
As recent as 1970s, my dad, in his bachelor days, used to cycle around Chennai/Madras; and needed a paid license (a piece of paper) to be displayed inside a clear plastic holder near the front left fork. And a fully working dynamo with headlight and rear facing red light. And a properly sounding cling-cling bell.

Then the 21st century dawned upon us - where neither license, nor lights (front or rear facing red) are needed both in bicycles and bikes and cars, especially not in trucks.
svsantosh is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 17:27   #40088
BHPian

Although I feel bad for the driver in this video. I just don't understand how saving money on towing fees is justified against possible loss of life for the driver and other road users. It's just scary to watch the video itself. I doubt if the brakes even worked like usual.
SS80 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 17:32   #40089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When I was in college, bicycles required a licence; one had to procure it for a small fee from the local municipality and it had to be displayed on the bicycle. All bicycles without bells and head/tail lamps will be stopped and fined by policemen after 6 p.m. We used to have a "dynamo" in our cycles. It had a head lamp and a tail lamp, and a small bottle like contraption which had a toothed wheel at the top, with wires leading to both lamps. One had to just press a lever on it, and it will tilt and come in to contact with the rear tyre, the rotation of which will power the dynamo and produce electricity for the lamps. Less well to do people will have an oil lamp in front and a red reflector at the rear.

All of them were actually meant to make the rider visible to motorists than to throw any light on the road!
Gansan is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 18:56   #40090
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
I do not have ADAS car right now, but I want to buy in future. So, learning about ADAS to understand better. Thank you.
Looks like the car was in cruise control mode. So if you have adaptive cruise, car would automatically slam the brakes very hard in such scenario, the moment that truck tries to even touch the divider line. The impact would be avoided. I had faced somewhat similar situation in my Seltos FL.

If you have autonomous braking activated, same function would work even if you are not having adaptive cruise activated.

Additionally, there would be various warnings (Audio/Visual) all around, the moment that truck touches the divider lane marking, hence giving you that mili second to react and slam the brakes, incase autonomous braking/adaptive cruise is not active.
Old 14th March 2024, 19:58   #40091
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS80 View Post
Sorry to hear about your experience, may I know which model car were you travelling in? As it remarkably shed speed, less than 3 seconds to halt. Also, you seem to have a well-maintained car, it just slowed down in a straight line, with no dramas, no sideways/one-sided pull etc
Also, how did your insurance claim process go?
If I was in the driver's seat of that car, my immediate worry would be whether the fully loaded truck I just overtook will stop in time.
Old 14th March 2024, 20:07   #40092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
No problem. It appeared the prosecution produced evidence which proved the defense's innocence.
I don't understand what's with the legal jargon here. Are you being sarcastic to prove a point here?

All I am trying to get across is that, a dash cam footage is an evidence that proves who's at fault and who's not. Further, If the matter goes to court, then Law will take its own course and whoever is at fault will bear the consequences.
Old 15th March 2024, 12:14   #40093
Distinguished - BHPian

LONG ARM OF THE LAW SENTENCES GUILTY AFTER 19 YEARS !

It so happened that at Nagpur, at 11.00 am on 4th January 2005, a then 21 year old, TVS Victor rider hit a then 56 year old man on a Honda Eterno scooter. The latter was seriously injured, rushed to the hospital but soon succumbed to his injuries. After 19 years the Judicial Magistrate First Class (JMFC) has sentenced the TVS Victor rider to a prison term upon being proved guilty.

Quote:
Head Constable Suresh Choudhary investigated the case and filed a chargesheet Shahu. As the charges were
substantiated against Shahu, the court awarded him one year imprisonment with a fine of Rs 3000 for the offence under Section 304(A) of the IPC. The court also sentenced him to three months imprisonment for the offences under Sections 279, 337 and 427 of the IPC.
It's a big achievement for the prosecution team of the Asst Public Prosecutor to have persevered and sustained the criminal case patiently for nearly two decades. Also the chargesheet prepared by Head Constable Suresh Choudhary stood judicial scrutiny and the test of time. Usually the defence advocates find flaws in police chargesheets that lead to acquittal by the thousands. Very praiseworthy work here by the prosecution team indeed !

The full news from today:-

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-nagpur-city-line_20240315.jpeg
anjan_c2007 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 18:36   #40094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
LONG ARM OF THE LAW SENTENCES GUILTY AFTER 19 YEARS !

It so happened that at Nagpur, at 11.00 am on 4th January 2005, a then 21 year old,
The news report says rider is 21yrs age now, i was wondering 19 years ago he was a 2 year old toddler.

Anyways - Dude was in Shukra ascent 19 years ago, now his Saade-Sathi has started. Feel bad for his unassuming wife and kids, if any.

Last edited by svsantosh : 15th March 2024 at 18:38.
svsantosh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 22:36   #40095
BHPian

On the way back from Mysore to Bangalore today, on the expressway, about at halfway there was a horrible accident.

A vehicle. I'm not even sure if it is a car or a motorcycle, probably jumped the median and fell through the gap in the median where the expressway is elevated. Ambulance and Police arrived up above and were wondering what to do.

Had some sensitive passengers, so didn't stop + so many vehicles were stopped.
madhavgpai is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks