Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2024, 19:54   #39841
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.sriram1989@gm View Post
... I would prefer if the college first years have a mandatory subject with practical on following road safety while driving.
I used to wonder, in Britain, why the Highway Code and road use was not taught in schools. It is not just about driving: Everybody uses the roads, from those on bare feet to those behind the wheel of super cars and bikes. All schools should teach such things.

Mind you, learning is one thing, doing is another. Especially when the youth hormones flow. But learning is a start, at least.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th February 2024, 07:11   #39842
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.sriram1989@gm View Post
Sir I totally agree with your points. But to change the core DNA, first thing should be very strict enforcement of laws. Only then public will feel the need to change their driving behaviour. In Delhi for example, there is huge challan on violation of rule (eg. Drinking and driving has 3 to 6 month imprisonment) , that surely discourage big chunk of drivers from breaking rules. I would prefer if the college first years have a mandatory subject with practical on following road safety while driving.
Put AI cameras like they did here. Almost everyone here, including the pillion now wears the helmet. Of course there will be some random idiot riding without one, but things are better now except for the driving style of private and KSRTC buses.
naveen.raju is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th February 2024, 07:45   #39843
BHPian

Happened to see this video on my YT feeds. Another Bangalore Mysore expressway incident.

Goandiaries is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 17th February 2024, 07:47   #39844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Put AI cameras like they did here... things are better now.
Not that cut-and-dry:

https://www.newindianexpress.com/sta...4k-cases-in-23

Also, given the issues reported the training data of these cameras is suspect.
Old 17th February 2024, 11:23   #39845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I used to wonder, in Britain, why the Highway Code and road use was not taught in schools. It is not just about driving: Everybody uses the roads, from those on bare feet to those behind the wheel of super cars and bikes. All schools should teach such things.
Absolutely. Especially we are getting much better infrastructure these days, be it cars or roads, and this makes it even more important to build awareness about road usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goandiaries View Post
Happened to see this video on my YT feeds. Another Bangalore Mysore expressway incident.
Perfect example of lack of basic highway driving skills. Changing multiple lanes at such speeds are almost suicidal.
sarathlal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2024, 11:24   #39846
BHPian

MSRTC bus falls into a ditch somewhere near Pune. From the Marathi commentary, seems many passengers are injured. Visuals show many passengers being evacuated from the bus through the windows!

IamNikhil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2024, 15:32   #39847
BHPian

Quote:

https://Youtu.be/0dUlAn97iDM?si=uIuP_6cdhTHQvAfD
There is a constant urge in people to beat the unknown vehicles on highways and be superheroes.
s.sriram1989@gm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2024, 15:39   #39848
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Many accidents are stupid, some are more stupid than others.

The left-hand overtake may be wrong, but we have to accept that other vehicles sometimes make it necessary. The zig-zag attempt at the next overtake, with the left-hand truck already indicating right is really, really bad. Maybe this guy is more used to [bad] city biking than highway car driving. He got what he deserved, although I hope it wasn't too bad in terms of personal injury.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th February 2024, 15:48   #39849
BHPian

This happened near the main gate of Magarpatta City in Pune. As per the news, there was no loss of life.

The accident seems to be from the early morning hours and misjudgment of both parties involved.

*Viewer Discretion Advised*

https://x.com/punekarnews/status/175...flRRhjtAiMmBtw
Tiago_Boy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2024, 16:37   #39850
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

When someone appears in your lane from the opposite side, do not shift lane. Rather, find a place to duck-in in your own lane!

This video shows what happens otherwise.

MT_Hyderabad is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th February 2024, 21:35   #39851
Senior - BHPian

Two back to back videos. Both showing how a drivers pure presence of mind can save the day, with abundance of luck, of course.

If the bus driver and the car driver were little more casual at the wheels, it would have been a totally different situation. Hope the 'biker' and the kids parents learn from their mistakes and use roads more sensibly.

Its rare to get such second chances in life.
sarathlal is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 18th February 2024, 22:56   #39852
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Happened to see this video on my YT feeds. Another Bangalore Mysore expressway incident...
Absolutely nobody should be driving like that, but where do people get the confidence to try such things in a tall bread-box Wagon R with skinny tires, of all cars? That gen came with 155 patch 13(or 12?) inchers, if I remember right. Barely enough to keep you on the straight and narrow at highway speeds, on a dry day.

People forget they aren't competing with traffic. They're competing with physics, and big daddy P doesn't lose, play nice or take prisoners.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 09:07   #39853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
although I hope it wasn't too bad in terms of personal injury.
Luckily he got away with a low risk side swipe, it could've been a rear end too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
When someone appears in your lane from the opposite side, do not shift lane. Rather, find a place to duck-in in your own lane!

This video shows what happens otherwise.
This is explained very clearly in this video on Defensive Driving :

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxZTcRWVa...RxNi1-fN7-jogR

Full Playlist :

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...zWPIISfBquWMSd
chaitanyakrish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 10:35   #39854
BHPian

Seems like the driver was distracted here. Hopefully no serious injuries to anyone involved.

Goandiaries is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 11:00   #39855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That little tallboy Wagon R has no business being ridden like a f1 car overtaking backmarkers on a circuit! People, i wish, understand their car's limitation more than their own limitations.

Had to take my wife's Honda Brio on a short highway trip yesterday and man was i scared! Left lane, 60-70 with wife and kids shouting "why are you driving so slow?!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago_Boy View Post
This happened near the main gate of Magarpatta City in Pune. As per the news, there was no loss of life.
Was reminded of the "Why are you running?" meme when that fellow decided to run hoping to cross ahead of the oncoming bike. Sigh, as the weakest link in the road chain, pedestrians need to be the most cautious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
all that road and they had to bang head on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Two back to back videos. Both showing how a drivers pure presence of mind can save the day, with abundance of luck, of course.
No words to describe the scooter dude. Hope he learns that this time only his pride was insulted, next time might not be so lucky. Pretty sure the bus driver and the passengers would have given him "nice" advice!

As for the little boy, parents need to hold onto their kids at all time while on the road. Kids can do the most unexpected of things.

Quote:
Seems like the driver was distracted here. Hopefully no serious injuries to anyone involved.
Maybe now at least he will learn to strap his helmet properly.
deathwalkr is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks