Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2024, 10:23   #39826
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

A family of 3 on a motorbike was hit by what looks like a private bus in Coimbatore. Father and 3 year old son died on the spot while the wife sustained grievous injuries. From the video, it looks like the bike suddenly swerved left from the rightmost lane and the bus driver was not able to brake on time. Impossible to tell the speed of the bus from the video. But, private bus drivers are known to drive recklessly in Coimbatore.

This accident could've been avoided if the bike kept to the leftmost lane and if the rear view mirror on the bike was pointing to the rear and not the sky. I'm not blaming anyone here because every driver on our Indian roads have their own set of rules. It's just that when you are having your family on a bike and choose not to wear helmets, align RV mirrors properly and decide to swerve left without checking, you are asking for fatal trouble. The bus driver is to blame too. He should've anticipated such movement from two wheeler and reduced speed. The bus driver and conductor fled the spot fearing retaliation from the public.

Last edited by true_sedan : 15th February 2024 at 10:28. Reason: Added more info
true_sedan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 10:37   #39827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by true_sedan View Post
This accident could've been avoided if the bike kept to the leftmost lane and if the rear view mirror on the bike was pointing to the rear and not the sky. I'm not blaming anyone here because every driver on our Indian roads have their own set of rules. t's just that when you are having your family on a bike and choose not to wear helmets, align RV mirrors properly and decide to swerve left without checking, you are asking for fatal trouble. The bus driver is to blame too. He should've anticipated such movement from two wheeler and reduced speed. The bus driver and conductor fled the spot fearing retaliation from the public.
This new menace has spread from motorcycles with arrow shaped RVMS. Particularly with Yamaha models. Dont understand what they are gonna get by styling an important piece of a vehicle to look like its ears .
subie_socal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 10:42   #39828
BHPian

Quote:
A family of 3 on a motorbike was hit by what looks like a private bus in Coimbatore. Father and 3 year old son died on the spot while the wife sustained grievous injuries. From the video, it looks like the bike suddenly swerved left from the rightmost lane and the bus driver was not able to brake on time. Impossible to tell the speed of the bus from the video. But, private bus drivers are known to drive recklessly in Coimbatore.
You might have seen the video that had the stupid background music in it.

Without the background music you realise that the bus driver going at high speed, started honking like a lunatic (which only an Indian heavy vehicle can do).

This scared the rider who went left to give way to over speeding bus. The bus driver didn't even attempt to brake but simply tried to go around the two wheeler which ultimately lead to what you see on screen.

This was not an accident..looks like a murder to me. But in our great country i guess the guy will be back on the roads after a Rs. 500 fine.
JithinR is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 11:06   #39829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From the video, it looks like the bike suddenly swerved left from the rightmost lane and the bus driver was not able to brake on time. Impossible to tell the speed of the bus from the video. But, private bus drivers are known to drive recklessly in Coimbatore.
The bus driver is to blame too. He should've anticipated such movement from two wheeler and reduced speed. The bus driver and conductor fled the spot fearing retaliation from the public.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
you realise that the bus driver going at high speed, started honking like a lunatic (which only an Indian heavy vehicle can do).

This scared the rider who went left to give way to over speeding bus. The bus driver didn't even attempt to brake but simply tried to go around the two wheeler which ultimately lead to what you see on screen.

This was not an accident..looks like a murder to me. But in our great country i guess the guy will be back on the roads after a Rs. 500 fine.
If any driver in India starts to slow down for bikes in right most lane, then any journey is impossible. Everytime I drive on highways which are not access restricted ones, there will be all sorts of vehicles in all available lanes doing their own speeds. Lane discipline is a must, lack of which is the root cause for this accident.

1. Bus driver was doing more speed (apparent from time it took for the bus to stop)
2. Three souls on a bike, shifts lane without looking at rear view mirror.

Till we understand lane discipline and understand that roads are not for playing, walking side by side in a group, etc. such incidents will go on and on. Every year, millions of two wheelers are put on the roads, and next to no discipline. What else can we expect. Here both, bike rider and bus driver are at fault, its very, very unfortunate that two lives are lost.

My average speeds on some state highways in Gujarat end up at just 50-55 kmph. Reason : The highways will have small villages where people have formed their own entry/exit, farms with such entry/exit points from highway and huge unmarked speed breakers. People on bikes would randomly join highway, turn anywhere, would carry 2-3-4 individuals on a bike, would be talking on phone. Safety has gone for a toss sometimes I feel.
aaggoswami is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 11:29   #39830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1. Bus driver was doing more speed (apparent from time it took for the bus to stop)
2. Three souls on a bike, shifts lane without looking at rear view mirror.

..Safety has gone for a toss sometimes I feel.
While I agree that the bike ambling along on the right most lane is starting point for these set of events, I wouldn't call it the root cause.

What if the biker had to take a u-turn up ahead and came onto the right lane for that purpose? Isn't common sense for the driver of the vehicle coming up from behind to account for that?

Also, like I have mentioned before, the bike rider came to the left because the bus honked at him (just so that I am clear please read that again). It wouldn't have mattered if he had looked at his rear-view mirror. He would have froze seeing a bus barreling toward him and his family at unmentionable speeds.

I don't think he expected that the bus would honk at him and then veer left to go around him. Besides, he isn't not on an R15 by himself. Did the bus driver really expect the guy to shift to the left lane in under 1s?

The root cause of the accident was over speeding by the bus.
JithinR is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 12:08   #39831
BHPian

Quote:
While I agree that the bike ambling along on the right most lane is starting point for these set of events, I wouldn't call it the root cause.

What if the biker had to take a u-turn up ahead and came onto the right lane for that purpose? Isn't common sense for the driver of the vehicle coming up from behind to account for that?
If the biker had used his indicator lights to show his intention to make a U-turn, he could have continued to drive straight knowing that the bus driver would understand his intention. His behaviour is also not worthy of defending, sadly.
HIGHWAY_PATROL is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 14:34   #39832
BHPian

Quote:
While the discussions about who is at fault may continue indefinitely, my heart goes on for the poor 3 year old child who lost life even before knowing what life is. May his soul RIP.
trave11er is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 15:06   #39833
BHPian

Quote:
That's what I initially thought after watching the video, this is a straightforward murder case. This bus driver should be behind bars for a minimum of 7–10 years. In this particular case, at least we have the video, so the court can take a strict decision on the driver to make an example. Three lives were lost, he did this simply for the sake of using the brake.
GhostGrid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 22:03   #39834
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

The bus driver is responsible for this accident. It is clear from this particular video.

He gives a short horn at 17 seconds and then sounds a loud horn at 20 seconds which forced the rider to move away. This driver did not apply brakes otherwise everything would have been normal. It was not clear from other videos if the bus driver forced him to move away or bus driver honked after seeing him coming in his path.

The second causative factor is the horn itself. This is an illegal horn, used by many heavy vehicles and goes unchecked by police.

MT_Hyderabad is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 22:24   #39835
HTC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
The bus driver is responsible for this accident. It is clear from this particular video.
Bus driver assumed that everyone would disappear from the road as soon as they heard his honking. He is constantly honking like an ambulance. The road looks narrow with steel barricade. With another two-wheeler occupying the left lane, Bus has limited space to maneuver and driver should have been cautious and ready to apply brakes. But he kept bullying the two wheeler on road and got blood on his hands.

I know the two wheeler riders were not wearing helmets and on the right side of road. But they should not have to pay their price by losing their life. I can bet if the bus driver is given DL test again, he will fail for sure. Hope the families of deseased get courage to get over the grief.

Last edited by HTC : 15th February 2024 at 22:26.
HTC is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 22:28   #39836
BHPian

Rash driving by bus driver is one of the causes. As you see in the above video, he was used to blaring his horns and then overtaking from the left, which unfortunately did not work with the family on the bike. They chose to move to the left but the driver did not anticipate this and rammed into them

May the departed souls rest in peace.

A slow-moving vehicle like this bike is perhaps safer on the left side of the road.
sudeepg is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2024, 00:58   #39837
BHPian

Clearly there is no fear of law. Over speeding, no helmets, blazing horn, lane changing as per wish. It shows lack of interest by the authorities to do anything to crub such issues.
s.sriram1989@gm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2024, 12:02   #39838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.sriram1989@gm View Post
Clearly there is no fear of law. Over speeding, no helmets, blazing horn, lane changing as per wish. It shows lack of interest by the authorities to do anything to crub such issues.
I am sorry sir but what should the authorities do to curb this menace, which sadly is true for any road, every road in any city, every city? Put a cop every 100 meters?

This is a systemic failure going back decades and the rot is so deep in our DNAs, I wonder what level of education and awareness, if not such ghastly accidents, will bring the change in mindset and habbits.

I am extremely saddened that a 3 year old life was cut short like this!! How many more such young lives do we need to lose before we as a nation realise the importance of self discipline and driving rules?
GTX+ is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 16th February 2024, 14:22   #39839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX+ View Post
I am sorry sir but what should the authorities do to curb this menace, which sadly is true for any road, every road in any city, every city? Put a cop every 100 meters?

This is a systemic failure going back decades and the rot is so deep in our DNAs, I wonder what level of education and awareness, if not such ghastly accidents, will bring the change in mindset and habbits.
I echo this thought and its increasing day by day. Just wait for 10mins on the side any average road in an urban area in any part of India, you will see 10s of violations and absolute disregard for the rule of law. In front of my apartment, I see this everyday morning when I wait with my daughter for the school bus. At this time most of the examples are parents rushing their children to school. This is reinforcing this behavior on young minds and I don't have any hopes of change for the future generation as well.
nagarjun is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th February 2024, 15:23   #39840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX+ View Post
Sir I totally agree with your points. But to change the core DNA, first thing should be very strict enforcement of laws. Only then public will feel the need to change their driving behaviour. In Delhi for example, there is huge challan on violation of rule (eg. Drinking and driving has 3 to 6 month imprisonment) , that surely discourage big chunk of drivers from breaking rules. I would prefer if the college first years have a mandatory subject with practical on following road safety while driving.
s.sriram1989@gm is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks