Team-BHP - Accidents in India | Pics & Videos
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Accidents in India | Pics & Videos (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/109249-accidents-india-pics-videos-2655.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by binand (Post 5715509)
Wouldn't be too hasty to jump to that conclusion; the location looks like at least a T junction with a break in median. The car driver should have known better to not overtake the tractor while passing through such a spot.

The most surprising thing I have ever read on here!.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamNikhil (Post 5715426)
Biker tries to cross lanes without due regard for oncoming traffic, gets hit by a car. Such instances have become increasingly common. The car driver is at zero fault in this case.

https://youtu.be/sRvNJsMD4KQ

Sorry but the car driver is equally at fault.

50/50 fault.

1. Idiot biker. Breaking rules. Not wearing helmet. No common sense.
2 .Idiot driver. Breaking rules. Overtaking slow moving vehicle on a pedestrian crossing at speed. He could not "see" what was happening in front of the tractor and did not allow enough time to react.

Both were effectively driving "blind" with obscured forward vision. "Darwin" at his finest. I have no sympathy for the biker or the car driver. They both put innocent people's lives at risk by ignoring road rules and common sense.
Just to get a few seconds ahead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redex (Post 5716887)
Sorry but the car driver is equally at fault.

50/50 fault.

1. Idiot biker. Breaking rules. Not wearing helmet. No common sense.
2 .Idiot driver. Breaking rules. Overtaking slow moving vehicle on a pedestrian crossing at speed. He could not "see" what was happening in front of the tractor and did not allow enough time to react.

And I'm sorry too but it feels like it's just bikers who ride like this who are blaming both the car and the bike on this forum. This is clearly the biker's and only the biker's fault.

The car was maintaining city speeds in the right most lane with a clear zebra crossing (that the car has already crossed without incident) along with a clear lane ahead of him and the logical right of way. They did not suddenly increase their speed or swerve into another lane and were driving as responsibility as possible on an Indian road. The biker on the other hand is not wearing a helmet, is clearly riding on the wrong side of the road, does not look or slow down to check if the intersection is empty and ultimately hits an innocent car while performing an illegal manoeuvre. It doesn't get any clearer than this that the fault lies with the biker alone.

I have absolutely no sympathy for riders like these who endanger themselves and the public just to save a few seconds of time and petrol for 200m. Even with the video the larger vehicle is blamed somehow and the unfortunate driver has to deal with the mobs, insurance, repairs, hospital, police, courts and the time and financial waste due to the same. I wish that such riders whould have their licenses cancelled and would not be allowed to operate any vehicle in their lifetime.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vishwaschettri (Post 5716425)
FIR would always be filed against the larger vehicle driver only.

Car driver will have to plead guilty and pay a small fine in court to be acquitted. A seperate case for compensation will drag on for years, I hope the vehicle was insured.

With that assumption the larger vehicle is always at 100% fault in India even if you have irrefutable evidence to prove your innocence.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Small Bot (Post 5716742)
That said, I hope that since there's footage, the car driver is not harassed for no fault of his. The biker landed so hard it made me wince while watching. I don't feel optimistic about that.. :sadface

After reading so many points and counter-points on this particular accident, I forwarded this video to a friend, whose family member is a senior police official, for the official's opinion.

The reply I got was on expected lines. In the absence of the video, car driver would have been in big trouble. However, since there is clear video of the incident. He'll be let off comparatively easily. Though, since his vehicle will figure in FIR, he will have to bear some burnt of the system. But no sane police officer or judge will hold the car driver responsible for the accident. Infact, the bike driver, if survived, would face the consequences.

Extract from Hyderabad Traffic Police

Note:- Never overtake within 30 metres of a pedestrian crossing. While driving on roads with more than one lane, lane changing may be required to overtake another vehicle, to avoid a parked vehicle or when the vehicle ahead slows to turn at an intersection.

If he had not over taken the tractor and trailer he may have had enough time to stop. The 2 wheeler right behind the car managed to stop.

If the biker had not broken the rules there would not have been an accident.

If the driver had not broken the rules he may have had time to react, to brake, swerve or take avoiding action. I can't see any sign of him reacting until after hitting the 2 wheeler

Not helped by the slow moving tractor and trailer veering all over his lane either.

This is the type of problem YOU must expect driving in India.

Always assume the worst, keep vigilant, keep your distance, keep your speed down.It could have prevented or minimised the damage.

Just my humble opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by binand (Post 5715509)
Wouldn't be too hasty to jump to that conclusion; the location looks like at least a T junction with a break in median. The car driver should have known better to not overtake the tractor while passing through such a spot.

Are we implying that car driver should have expected traffic from the wrong side?

So many if's about Driver and Biker.

My only grouse is, if administration would have designed the roads properly, given the driver licenses properly, installed road signs/traffic lights properly, inculcated safety aspects properly, fined violators properly. Then such things can decline over a period of time. Else it’s a repetitive behavior of having numerous near misses which will one day turn into an incident like this.

After seeing such freak videos on this thread, makes me have a genuine fear of driving/riding on Indian roads.

Couple of posts here are calling it as 'car was overtaking the tractor/trailer'. I disagree with this. It can be called 'overtaking' if the car later merged into tractor's lane. I would simply call it as 'lane discipline' since the car maintained its lane. And it doesn't look like overspeeding to me. Just normal city traffic speeds.

Given our city roads and the heterogenous traffic in it, can we even slow down to the speed of every tractor, overloaded Tata-Ace, Autos, Yulu bikes, bicycles, so that we aren't 'overtaking' them at junctions/ zebra crossings? Doesn't sound practical to me.

Alright folks, let us end the topic of biker and car accident.

Any further post on the matter will be deleted. - Support Team

Quote:

Originally Posted by balenoed_ (Post 5714104)
Saw this in the Makkutta ghat section of Karnataka - Kerala border. Not sure where it was plying to. From one airport to another? What a mess.

Random question, probably OT: Are such airline buses even allowed outside of the airport areas? I mean, without being repainted or changing the interior modifications?

My first thought was that the bus was probably being driven for repairs.

Would anybody with knowledge of airport regulations be able to throw light on this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by electric_eel (Post 5714696)
Any idea how the bus reached and more importantly had a crash there ?

This is a ghat road and downhill for the bus. There is a curve just before this and the driver must have lost control while negotiating that. A newbie on this route will be taken by surprise of the curves on this stretch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Small Bot (Post 5717551)
My first thought was that the bus was probably being driven for repairs

Very unlikely for repairs. My guess is it must be a transfer of the bus from Bangalore airport to Kannur airport.

A hired Toyota Innova Crysta in which Mr Vetri Duraisamy aged 45, was traveling with his friend, met with an accident in Himachal Pradesh on 04.02.24. Mr Vetri, a film maker was son of former Chennai Mayor Mr Saidai Duraisamy. He was killed and his body found about 2.5 kms away from the accident site according to a Times of India report. It is gathered that the accident had happened on February 4th, that is nine days back. Mr Vetri was travelling with his friend when their car fell into the Sutlej river, on National Highway no. 5 in the Lahaul-Spiti area, close to Kashang Nala. It could be ascertained that the driver had lost control leading to the mishap going by a report in Hindustan Times. Himachal Pradesh Police said that the driver, Tanjin, was declared dead and Vetri’s co-passenger S Gopinath, 32, was rescued and hospitalised.

The ToI link:-
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../107643562.cms

Driving through roads on the hills and valleys is not for everybody. There are hundreds of unwritten rules that need to be adhered to by drivers. Any miss can prove to be fatal.

^^ He was a film director and was allegedly scouting for locations for his next film. The car was probably hired or belonged to some local area friends, which means neither Vetri nor his companion would have been driving it. A driver familiar with the road would have been at the wheel.

I read in a different report the driver had a cardiac arrest which lead to the accident. Things are not yet very clear.

It seems he was a close friend of actor Ajeet, both were serious superbike enthusiasts and had ridden together through most of the countries on earth.

Horrific footage of what seems to be a milk truck dashing into a bunch of cars and eventually crashing into a market area. Several people are sure to have sustained injuries. Terrible accident! Not sure what led to this, but the truck driver surely seems to have lost control. :sadface

https://youtu.be/9twGCXpsUmU

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamNikhil (Post 5719046)
Horrific footage of what seems to be a milk truck dashing into a bunch of cars and eventually crashing into a market area. Several people are sure to have sustained injuries. Terrible accident! Not sure what led to this, but the truck driver surely seems to have lost control. :sadface

RIP.
This incident happened in Sikkim resulting in 3 people dead and 20 injured.

http://www.indiatoday.in/amp/india/s...234-2024-02-11

As much as we all love to drive, the safer future is when only fully autonomous vehicles which communicate with each other ply on roads.