Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2024, 18:33   #39766
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
A speeding tempo, seemingly trying to push ahead at a toll plaza hits the barricades put up by the toll staff. Location around Nagpur, Maharashtra.

https://Youtu.be/ytV4FO4YxJs
It is not a push manouver.

Situational awareness tells me that it is brake failure. There is no real sound in the video, but I can tell looking at the reaction of people that this tempo was coming with its horns blazing to alert others.
MT_Hyderabad is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 09:50   #39767
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Car hits a biker trying to cross lanes.
As you've rightly pointed out, there's enough fault to go around for all parties involved. I've tended to be of the opinion that someone who cares enough to fit a dashcam would drive sensibly, but it seems that now dashcams are becoming more prevalent than common sense.

That said, the times of dawn and dusk* are when I hate driving outside of built-up areas. It's simply because it's not bright enough to be day, with everything lit up by the sun, and yet it's not dark enough for the eye and brain to adapt to the night. At times like this, people, obstacles, or even vehicles without illumination, can easily blend into the background clutter, resulting in shortened reaction times.

* there's this lovely word called "gloaming" to describe this time of dusk
arunphilip is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 10:57   #39768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Car hits a biker trying to cross lanes.
How hard can it be to slow down when you approach a intersection?

How hard can it to be stop and wait for a clear road before cutting across a intersection?

Guess, it's very hard indeed!
deathwalkr is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 16:55   #39769
Senior - BHPian

Saw this in the Makkutta ghat section of Karnataka - Kerala border. Not sure where it was plying to. From one airport to another? What a mess.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_3646.jpeg
balenoed_ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 18:27   #39770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
What a mess.
Panoti - ominous, unlucky, bad omen

Surely Indigo needs a Havan (Homa/Pray Fire God)... staff issues, fog delays, unruly passengers, food on tarmac - now even their buses running aground that too 100s of KMS away from a runway/airport.

Gosh - What a true mess indeed!
svsantosh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th February 2024, 16:57   #39771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Saw this in the Makkutta ghat section of Karnataka - Kerala border. Not sure where it was plying to. From one airport to another? What a mess.

Attachment 2570027
This is really a curious case. Any idea how the bus reached and more importantly had a crash there ?
Old 8th February 2024, 18:18   #39772
BHPian

Biker tries to cross lanes without due regard for oncoming traffic, gets hit by a car. Such instances have become increasingly common. The car driver is at zero fault in this case.

IamNikhil is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 19:20   #39773
BHPian

Quote:
Biker tries to cross lanes without due regard for oncoming traffic, gets hit by a car. Such instances have become increasingly common. The car driver is at zero fault in this case.

https://Youtu.be/sRvNJsMD4KQ
Unfortunately people will never understand the perils of driving on the wrong side and logic behind rules of the road. The car driver will be hassled for no fault of his.
FLYBOYSID is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 20:21   #39774

Quote:

What will be the aftermath to the car and car owner in such accident? If someone gets into such accident, what should they do (other than taking care of the injured person)?
Old 8th February 2024, 20:25   #39775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car driver is at zero fault in this case.
Wouldn't be too hasty to jump to that conclusion; the location looks like at least a T junction with a break in median. The car driver should have known better to not overtake the tractor while passing through such a spot.
binand is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 21:27   #39776
BHPian

Quote:

It does seem like a junction with traffic lights. The biker is not even wearing a helmet. Very very careless of him to ride like that. Seeing him lying on the ground motionless is very disturbing. One only hopes he survived.
HIGHWAY_PATROL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2024, 01:18   #39777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Wouldn't be too hasty to jump to that conclusion; the location looks like at least a T junction with a break in median. The car driver should have known better to not overtake the tractor while passing through such a spot.
I honestly don't know what's so much hasty in determining this. Car driver is at zero fault.

The median opening doesn't magically give right of way to the vehicles crossing the road. There need to be a control system - a working signal, a stop/yield sign or a police officer/traffic warden regulating the traffic for the crossing traffic to have right of way over the traffic on the throughfare.

What did you see here to decide that car driver does not or cannot have right of way?

I honestly am tired of arguments even in places like here where right of way is not the primary factor is deciding the cause of the accident.

Whether the car driver could have crawled through the median, or could have stopped, got down, checked all 4 sides and up towards the sky for traffic and then drove are all subject of practical driving tips, nothing legally binding.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 9th February 2024 at 01:21.
Yieldway17 is offline   (83) Thanks
Old 9th February 2024, 01:41   #39778
BHPian

Quote:
The car driver is at absolute zero fault. He is not expecting a bike to cut the tractor and come from opposite side to cross over to the other side of road, missing which it hits him head on. This is akin to expecting car driver to have extra-ordinary precognition abilities.

Bike rider is at complete fault here and he's lucky to be alive, if he is (given tractor driver's quick reflex to steer away and not run him over). Here's a list of his faults, in no particular order of severity, and to be honest I have no sympathy for him.

1. Riding in opposite direction (absolutely criminal)
2. no helmet (suicidal)
3. Cutting tractor to go to the opposite side of road, which gives him no visibility to what's happening in the next lane
4. Driving fast depsite all above 3 mistakes (stupid)

To save 2 mins of his life, he will end up spending months in medical treatment, and I'm not even counting the monetory impact.

Very poor trade-off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
Whether the car driver could have crawled through the median, or could have stopped, got down, checked all 4 sides and up towards the sky for traffic and then drove are all subject of practical driving tips, nothing legally binding.
+millions. if no one else, this must apply to the bike rider first, right?

Last edited by LordSharan : 9th February 2024 at 01:50.
LordSharan is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 9th February 2024, 09:50   #39779
BANNED

Quote:
The car driver should have known better to not overtake the tractor while passing through such a spot.
Who does this ? How many BHPians do this ? Do you do this ?
Say its a 2+2 highway, there is an opening in the median, there is a 30kph truck moving in the left lane, and you are coming up from behind, at 80kph, say. You can also see that no two/three wheeler/small vehicle/person is waiting in the middle of the median opening, to cross.

Let's assume being a stickler for rules, you will not be at 80kph anymore, but will slow down. Slow down to what ?

a) 30kph and stick behind the truck until this median opening is fully crossed, or
b) to some number in between 80 and 30 , and use the overtaking fast lane to pass the truck, without waiting for the median opening to elapse ?

Which is the more 'realistic' reaction ? a or b ?
venkyhere is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 9th February 2024, 10:52   #39780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Car driver is at zero fault.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSharan View Post
The car driver is at absolute zero fault.
I do not agree with the conclusion that the car driver is at "absolute zero fault". The fact remains that their vehicle hit another on the road and caused injury to someone. There is culpability here.

Quote:
What did you see here to decide that car driver does not or cannot have right of way? ...nothing legally binding.
I do not drive with the law pasted to my windshield or dashboard. But I know that "right of way" is not an absolute right that permits me to bulldoze through anything/anyone that comes in the way.

Quote:
This is akin to expecting car driver to have extra-ordinary precognition abilities.
Yes. Driving (at least on Indian roads) has a prerequisite of such precognition.

Quote:
Here's a list of [the bike rider's] faults...
All fair. At no point did I mean to say that the bike rider is blameless, car driver carries 100% of the blame.

Here is what I was trying to say. If there are 100 blame points to be divvied up then I am of the opinion that they go, about 75 to biker and 25 to car driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Quote:
The car driver should have known better to not overtake the tractor while passing through such a spot.
Who does this ? How many BHPians do this ? Do you do this ?
Yes. I can't speak for other BHPians, but I do this unconditionally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Let's assume being a stickler for rules, you will not be at 80kph anymore, but will slow down. Slow down to what ?

a) 30kph and stick behind the truck until this median opening is fully crossed, or
b) to some number in between 80 and 30 , and use the overtaking fast lane to pass the truck, without waiting for the median opening to elapse ?

Which is the more 'realistic' reaction ? a or b ?
(a) of course - but it needn't be 30 kmph. The actual number would be determined by the distance between the two vehicles. The qualitative consideration would be that I wouldn't be hazard for anyone crossing across from the left edge (which is now a blind spot for me) towards the median and also I have enough reaction time/stopping distance in case someone does that.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks