Team-BHP - Accidents in India | Pics & Videos
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Accidents in India | Pics & Videos (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/109249-accidents-india-pics-videos-2641.html)

A speeding Maruti Zen hits an on-duty Police constable and flees from the spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu7brTTGSCk

Quote:

Originally Posted by pg2003 (Post 5699245)
Went to agra on Thursday, seen it at atleast 8-10 places, where animal bits were being scraped off the road, and had atleast 5 instances where dogs came on express way during the whole journey from Delhi and back.

I am telling you, this is an unexplainable mystery.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pg2003 (Post 5699245)
Wouldn't being closer to left shoulder mean the person will be driving sedately and able to stop on stopping an animal on road?

These days with trucks & buses hoarding the middle and right lanes, most of the smaller vehicles overtake from the left. So maybe that is causing more accidents on the left shoulder.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLK (Post 5699481)
There are dogs on a lot of roads in India (thanks to some people!) but mostly, they are responsive to traffic while crossing, but not on this road, some specific gene pool!

Hahaha, having seen it myself, I will not question you on the gene bit. Surely there is something wrong with the dogs on this stretch.

Bangalore traffic police posted this on their FB page, looks like this has happened near Cauvery theater. Imagine the speed of this lorry with in the city limits.:Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorsan (Post 5697804)
Scorpio topples while overtaking (Watch from +30s onwards):

Thanks for the video. This forum and such videos, as the one you have shared, have been a great inspiration for me to remind myself to be a responsible driver every single time I switch on the ignition.
Heartfelt appreciation for those onlookers who immediately rushed to help the inmates of the vehicle.

Amazing near-miss! A thorough investigation should take place, and the Swift driver disciplined.

https://www.ndtv.com/offbeat/car-nar..._lateststories

Also surprised by the train driver. He could have stopped the train very easily given the glacial pace. Why did he not stop either? I am sure he had full privileges to stop, even though the crossing gate was technically closed and he had the green signal.
The train could have easily snagged the Swift and pulled it along thereby causing a fire, or damaged the diesel tanks of the generator car and/or the battery boxes of the coaches themselves.

Again, the cameraman and bystanders are also retarded standing just next to the Swift!

Quote:

Originally Posted by itwasntme (Post 5700965)
Also surprised by the train driver. He could have stopped the train very easily given the glacial pace. Why did he not stop either?

Twitter has someone claiming this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorsan (Post 5697804)
Scorpio topples while overtaking (Watch from +30s onwards):

Quote:

Originally Posted by HIGHWAY_PATROL (Post 5700364)
Heartfelt appreciation for those onlookers who immediately rushed to help the inmates of the vehicle.

it's indeed great to see that the people ran to help. But what disturbed is the conversation that is happening around 00:37. This is roughly how it goes. Sorry if I mistranslated any of it; audio it is a bit vague and I can't catch one of the dialect word they said.

Man 1 @00:37: Mama Mia! (there is no english equivalent for this expression -- 'my mother') . vehicle, go go go go go... (Suggesting the driver not to stop and take the bus to the front of other cars in between)

Man 2 @00:39: Topple, topple, topple, topple (wishing it topple)

Man 1 @00:41: Stomp Stomp Stomp Stomp (Suggesting to stop the bus; the Scorpio is just ahead of the bus.)

Man 2 or 3 (Driver) @00:41: Excellent, Excellent (as they say when someone gets what they deserved for a mistake). We have good 'handsome' (Not sure I caught this dialect correctly) video. We have video; here, we have video, we have video!

Man 1: What man!? Move. Open man, open. (Door opens)
Another: Open man, open.

It looks to be a private transport bus. The driver seems to be the person who runs and climbs on top of the Scorpio.

Quote:

Originally Posted by binand (Post 5700969)
Twitter has someone claiming this:
  • The car got caught between the closed level crossing gates, on the track, with the train approaching. Driver idiocy, certainly.
  • The loco pilot stopped the train after seeing the car.
  • Since the train had entered the level crossing's "zone" the gate could not be opened for the car to escape (it is locked in place and would stay so until the train clears the zone).
  • So they worked out this arrangement; the car driver parked as close to the gate as possible and the train passed through at a very slow pace, barely missing the car.

I am amazed by the stupidity of the Indian driver. That fool (car driver) owes his life to the loco pilot. Fit case for license suspension for life.

Quote:

Originally Posted by binand (Post 5700969)
[*]Since the train had entered the level crossing's "zone" the gate could not be opened for the car to escape (it is locked in place and would stay so until the train clears the zone).

Sounds logical I guess but still dicey. Maybe the IR experts can answer, but I would have thought there is some exception-based rule to manually 'cancel' the green signal and then open the gate (again manually?).

Given the big crowd, it seems to be right next to a station / signal cabin, and not in the boondocks somewhere.

Quote:

Originally Posted by itwasntme (Post 5700996)
Sounds logical I guess but still dicey. Maybe the IR experts can answer, but I would have thought there is some exception-based rule to manually 'cancel' the green signal and then open the gate (again manually?).

This is as per my understanding of how the gate signals work. Open to correction.

The signal preceding the gate is interlocked with the mechanism which operates the gate barriers. Once the loco crosses the signal, the gates cannot be opened manually. In case of emergency, the signal will need to be taken off by the competent authority and only then can the gates be operated manually.

While this was indeed a sort of emergency (stupidity most would agree), the people involved would have thought out this solution to be relatively safe and less time consuming. Or there might have been some other considerations* taken into account before going ahead with this solution.

*E.g. Even if the gates were opened manually, there was no space outside the gates for the car to move.

Quote:

Originally Posted by itwasntme (Post 5700996)

Given the big crowd, it seems to be right next to a station / signal cabin, and not in the boondocks somewhere.

There is a signal before the level crossing. The signal will turn green/orange once the level crossing gate is closed and the gate opening mechanism is locked. Once the LP/ALP crosses the signal on green/orange, they cannot go back. The train manager/guard will need to contact the Station master and a set of procedures needs to be followed to manually reset the signal.

Ideally, the gates should not be closed with a car in between. So I wonder how the gate was closed with a car in between! Also, it is not possible to lower/raise only one level crossing gate. Both go up and down together. And knowing our Indian mindset, I am sure there will be cars waiting for the gate to open even a bit to squeeze through. So, the level crossing manager cannot open one gate as well.

I am mostly sure that the level crossing manager will have held a red flag indicating the presence of the car on the side of the track, even though the LP/ALP can see it. I think the LP/ALP took the call to cross the level crossing after visually evaluating that the gap available to pass after getting approval from the guard/train manager.

A biker collides with a horse; the horse falls down, gets up and limps away. The horse-rider and biker are sure to have sustained multiple injuries. Terrible :sadface

https://youtu.be/zlzpDniGY-E?si=6_aASkziukwlzL2u

Quote:

Again, the cameraman and bystanders are also retarded standing just next to the Swift!

Retarded? More like a death wish, they had. They were standing behind the swift and in the direction of train travel. What if a protruding part of train had snagged on Swift and dragged it along. Those two would have been dragged along, too. They seem to have empty space between their ears. :Frustrati

Quote:

Amazing near-miss! A thorough investigation should take place, and the Swift driver disciplined.

https://www.ndtv.com/offbeat/car-nar..._lateststories

I had seen this earlier today. The video shows the Swift madly spaced at a kissing distance from the train. NDTV however has given a footnote stating that:-

Quote:

However, NDTV could not verify the authenticity of the video.
After reading this sentence, I viewed the video again and I am now suspecting that the Swift in that location could have been video shopped or photoshopped.