Team-BHP - Accidents in India | Pics & Videos
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Accidents in India | Pics & Videos (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/109249-accidents-india-pics-videos-2637.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrman (Post 5694693)
I had got this instruction from my driving school instructor 20+years back. In the event there is an animal crossing the path and not enough time to brake or see who is behind, it may be better to ram into the animal. Of course depending on the size of the animal, the damage can be high or low. But this has a better chance of saving the occupants with damage to the car rather than damage to both and some other vehicle. Now I am an animal lover and this is not ethically right in my view. But with kith and kin's safety you don't really have a choice.
I experienced this in my earlier car in the past and had to unwillingly ram into a dog. Since there was a bend and it appeared out of nowhere, didn't have the guts to check what happened to it. The car suffered a broken bumper, grill, headlight, fog light, windscreen wiper tank etc. Had to take my wife's pyajama string from the luggage and tie the bumper with the body and drive slowly back from Vaniambadi to Bangalore.:unhappy

Thankfully I have never had to do this so far but I am not sure whether I would be able to control my reflex and not slam the brake. There was one instances when something close to this happened (a cow giving birth on a curving highway) but it was broad daylight and the truck in the adjacent lane gave enough indication to me (thank you brother) that there is some thing ahead. Also I did not have any one close behind. I thanked the lorry driver with a short honk as I passed him and the cow. I also learned to respect the lorry driver who as a group are some of the most helpful and well behaved folks on Indian roads (not just this but other numerous instances).

Quote:

Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 (Post 5694101)
The car is most likely an Ertiga that was travelling the day before yesterday from Nagpur towards Amravati on N.H. 6, the highway that connected Kolkata to Mumbai prior to the Samruddhi Mahamarg getting inaugurated. The family had come to Nagpur for a medical checkup of the lady, who was mother of the man driving the car. About 12 Kms west of Nagpur, some stray animal came on their path. The car was not overspeeding but upon application of brakes, it flipped and reached the other side of the road divider. A truck coming from the opposite direction hit the car. It all occurred in a flash and the truck driver had no time to respond. The Ertiga driver and his mother were seriously injured and died just after crowds started gathering. The car driver's sister was injured. And the noteworthy fact reported in the media is that none of the car occupants were wearing seat belts. The front airbags failed to deploy.

Cannot believe if the car (Ertiga) was driven at sane speeds. It's a long wheelbase vehicle & flipping that by just applying brakes would take some special idiocracy IMO.

In similar incident, few years ago I had observed a Indigo CS being driven at 120+ KMPH speeds (judging by the speed it overtook me driving at 90 KMPH) & had to suddenly apply brakes. The tyres got shredded & it just skidded in road (dried up) nallah (water canal), but did not flip over.

I'm not sure how this flipping over could happen to Ertiga, or maybe it's just another hat in Suzuki's vehicle safety strategies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 5694637)

At least dogs have road sense. More than most pedestrians and even some drivers! But cows have none.

Off topic:
One exception I found recently near Thanjavur and Chettinad regions of Tamil Nadu. Dogs were nearly as senseless as cows. Maybe they are not exposed to much people and traffic in those parts and are not alert enough. I had many dogs attempting to cross the roads without a care, a short honk would alert them to abort their move though. Felt a rarity.

Errant biker gets into an accident near Worli Sea Face, Mumbai. From the video, it's clearly visible that the biker was riding in the wrong direction, and also turns left without any regard for traffic rules. Hope the Ertiga driver is not penalised by the police. Evidently the biker's fault!

https://youtube.com/shorts/rhsZTW3LYdQ?feature=share

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamNikhil (Post 5695140)
Errant biker gets into an accident near Worli Sea Face, Mumbai. From the video, it's clearly visible that the biker was riding in the wrong direction, and also turns left without any regard for traffic rules. Hope the Ertiga driver is not penalised by the police. Evidently the biker's fault!

I would say that the biker got what he so desperately wanted. Only worry point is for the Ertiga driver monetary loss as well as legal hassle. Luckily for him, the entire incident is captured on dashcam.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prado (Post 5695106)
Off topic: Dogs were nearly as senseless as cows. Maybe they are not exposed to much people and traffic in those parts and are not alert enough.

Sorry to go a bit off-topic:

This reminded me of a casual conversation I once had about 16-17 years ago with my friend and ex-colleague. He is a roadie and forever on the roads.

We were discussing about animals, accidents and what not and he mentioned that on the NH1 (Delhi Agra Highway) if I ever drive early mornings (between 6AM/7AM or thereabouts), I will find the highway littered with runover dogs!! He said it was not a one time observation of his and that he had witnessed it on multiple occassions.

As much unbelievable as it sounded then, I saw it with my own eyes few months later when one day early morning I was returning from Agra. Every KM or two, I came across a dead dog runover by some vehicle. :eek:

After the Yamuna Expway opened, I have not been on NH1, so don't know if this phenomenon is still happening. Anyone frequent on that stretch can confirm.

Spotted this accident yesterday morning on the Thudiyalur Saravanampatty road, near SNS College. So many accidents on this stretch recently, with one victim passing away a few weeks ago. You can see the spot on the wind shield where the bike riders head smashed in.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20240108_104608.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20240108_104817.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20240108_105216.jpg

While waiting for the ambulance to leave and traffic to clear, another accident very nearly occurred. The bus driver stuck out his hand to indicate that a car was coming onto the main road, yet this moron chose to ignore it and tried to overtake the bus and very nearly crashed head on onto the car! This isn't a video screenshot, it happened as I was taking pics of the accident! The guy lost his balance and fell down, no injuries though.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20240108_104732.jpg

This biker lost both his legs in the accident!

https://x.com/punekarnews/status/174...230181894?s=20

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralJazz (Post 5696119)
The guy lost his balance and fell down, no injuries though.

I am almost sure that his helmet just rolled when he fell.

Saw this Passat lying in the yard of Navi Mumbai Volkswagen when I went for yearly service of my car. The SA told me it was due to tyre burst on Mumbai Pune expressway and that the car rolled over as a result, however no fatalities. The VW build quality may not be an urban legend after all. The car seems to be badly bashed up and pretty much total loss.
Tyre brand is Apollo however the tyre was probably EOL looking at the wear. The mangled up remains of the car has instilled fear in my heart now as my tyres are 5+ years old. They are however nowhere near peak mileage as my car usage is extremely low. But better not to take risk.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20240106_151229.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20240106_151242.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20240106_151254.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20240106_151313.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20240106_151359.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by doga (Post 5696331)
Saw this Passat lying in the yard of Navi Mumbai Volkswagen ]

Thankfully no lives were lost. The tyres seem to be badly worn out and at high speeds on the Expressway, I think this was waiting to happen.

I personally have my car tyres replaced based on years and not mileage, since my driving is 6-7k per year. I feel 5 to 6 years, or mileage of 45-50k, whichever is earlier, should be a good time to replace all tyres.

For your own peace of mind you can consider replacing your tyres if it meets your criteria.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamNikhil (Post 5695140)
From the video, it's clearly visible that the biker was riding in the wrong direction, and also turns left without any regard for traffic rules.

High chances he was running from the cops as bikers are no longer allowed on this stretch because of the costal road work for next 8 months and vehicles going in that direction can only go on the sea link.

So, just to avoid a fine he put others and his own life in danger 😡

Quote:

Originally Posted by som9729 (Post 5696176)
This biker lost both his legs in the accident!

Good grief! What sort of a junction is that and is it a free for all? :eek:

Horrendous scene :(

In another incident, seemingly from Pune, a biker with scant regard for traffic rules, cuts through oncoming traffic and expectedly gets into an accident. Hope the police doesn\'t penalise the dumper driver, as it\'s clearly evident that the biker is totally at fault in this case. Video courtesy: Twitter

https://youtu.be/0532MBr4R0M

Never though that I would be posting it here but a dear friend of mine met with this accident due to a idiot driving his 2-wheeler in the middle of the road in the opposite direction.

This happened somewhere near Sangareddy, some 30 kms from Hyderabad when he had only started for a trip to MH. This gives me chills as because due to these kind of morons we are never ever safe on the road.
He had called the police and the ambulance also reached the spot pretty fast. Locals had ganged up immediately.
I think he did his best to call the police so that he can exit from the situation safely.
Front bumper, headlamps and front left tyre are gone. He is awaiting insurance payout for the work to begin. The car was only 4 months old :unhappy

https://youtu.be/n5FQK15-qko