Team-BHP - Accidents in India | Pics & Videos
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Accidents in India | Pics & Videos (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/109249-accidents-india-pics-videos-2620.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amity (Post 5654303)
Similar story with the roundabout near QRG hospital. People need to be patient.

If people are not patient they will end up being a patient (pun intended). rl:

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamNikhil (Post 5653825)
Came across this article where a Kia Seltos collided with cattle during late night hours on NH50 in Karnataka. Stray cattle wandering around the roads is a severe menace.

The 100+ kmph has almost sealed the deal for that Seltos.

Nevertheless, one underrated habit I find it useful on a 4 Lane highway ( which may have saved the vehicle ) is

- driving on the vehicle on the Left Lane ( tend to be left if the extreme left has abnormal shoulder/potholes) when there is no vehicle ahead and only using the right lane to overtake.

Getting habituated to drive always on right , I reckon, is a riskier option as the field of view is decreased in addition to the lower time for reaction due to the sudden entrance of the stray animals from the divider side. Animals/people coming from the left side are generally more visible and thus possess lower risk of being unseen.

I think most of us Indians, who got their driving lessons from the Driving Schools are acquainted to be always on the right side , which makes sense considering they were taught in the urban setting where left side of the road is occupied by the pedestrians/parked vehicles.

But it is important to realize that picking that habit during the highway drives could be a mistake as the maneuverability of the vehicle drops by 50% ( keeping all other things constant), by staying in the right lane ( as you have the divider on your right side) & by keeping on the left side , you have both the right and left sides open to swerve ( driven by instinct) in case of any eventualities . (again, the ideal case should be to brake to stop, but...)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajeev1 (Post 5652804)
The van looks like a Nissan Evalia which is quite rare on the roads. Possibly the driver misjudged the width of the gap. Must have been a 'total loss' considering the poor availability of after sales support. :Frustrati

Yes, it indeed was an Evalia van. We were behind it from last 1-2 kilometres and the driver wasn’t much attentive to lane discipline and was busy eating something while driving erratically.

I believe the reason behind accident was impatience coupled with lack of judgement of vehicle’s width. If you look at the end of video, you can see a stationary truck on the dirt road and an unsecured load that had rolled off from it. The van driver tried to save about 5-10 seconds by avoiding the 2-3 cars traffic that was building up ahead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamNikhil (Post 5653825)
Came across this article where a Kia Seltos collided with cattle during late night hours on NH50
https://www.cartoq.com/kia-seltos-cr...night-driving/

https://youtu.be/nHVuWv22OMc

Even on Express ways, I wouldn't dare to cross 100 kmph. In Indian roads you are always in for a surprise, I've reduced my maximum speed to 80 kmph, you can enjoy driving even at lower speeds.

As per the latest statistics, speeding is the number one reason for road fatalities by a long way.

If the car had been equipped with Autonomous Emergency Breaking, the damage could've been much lesser. AEB must be mandatory across all vehicles more than the 6 air bag rule.

Left Bleeding On Road After Bike Crash, Delhi Filmmaker Dies
Source: NDTV
Video is available here : TimesNow

Quote:

The video shows the filmmaker's motorcycle changing lanes on a busy road near Panchsheel Enclave when it is hit by another bike coming up behind him. As the bikes collide, the filmmaker's motorcycle skids and is seen dragging on the road for a few metres...

On the basis of the CCTV footage, the police have registered a case of rash driving against the other bike motorcycle rider, identified as Bunty.
I may seem like blaming the victim here, but when I saw this first time on news and again on the video above, the victim changed the lanes suddenly to left, crossing first biker and then hitting the second (most likely he didn't notice the second biker to his left).

The concerning outcome is that the second biker will be going through the legal grind for no fault of his. He may himself had suffered injuries/ fatalities, had he not managed to regain balance. :Frustrati

Name:  Accident_11.png
Views: 873
Size:  391.1 KB

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident_21.png

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident_31.png

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident_41.png

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident_51.png

Quote:

A friend of the filmmaker alleged that the 30-year-old was left bleeding on the side of the road for over 20 minutes while people gathered around him to click pictures
This is the saddest part. What has happened to us ???? :mad:

Quote:

Originally Posted by AutoNoob (Post 5654464)
Left Bleeding On Road After Bike Crash, Delhi Filmmaker Dies
The concerning outcome is that the second biker will be going through the legal grind for no fault of his. He may himself had suffered injuries/ fatalities, had he not managed to regain balance. :Frustrati

This is the saddest part. What has happened to us ???? :mad:

Not getting into the blame game of whose fault this is, but judging by the speed of the victim and other bikers, they are not very fast. Fatal injuries at such low speeds might indicate some head injuries and the absence of helmet.

And people gathering nearby to click pictures and steal phones and gopro is where we have lost as humanity. What effort does it take to call an ambulance or police to the scene!!! :crying

I have been a victim of "passersby not helping me" (although I was not injured, but our car was totaled) and I know how helpless one feels in such a situation. I generally try to help, atleast offer water!?

~NA

Quote:

Originally Posted by svsantosh (Post 5652635)
Actually this accident was different. Helping you to visualize here...

The Tractor was running on its own without an operator at the controls/wheel. It was made to hold a wheelie (full gas pedal down) and go around in tight circles. Beats me how they do it.

This is one of the STUNTS that the tractor owners flaunt:The driver was crushed while he was attempting to get on the tractor. There is a full video of this on social media. This news article has pic of the driver sitting on the 'wheelie mode' tractor:

The other stunt flaunted by the tractor owners is kinda 'tug of war' between two tractors, called 'tochan mukabla'. The two tractors are joined back to back and they have to pull each other beyond the line.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiagoatrix (Post 5654429)

If the car had been equipped with Autonomous Emergency Breaking, the damage could've been much lesser. AEB must be mandatory across all vehicles more than the 6 air bag rule.

Given how erratically people drive and how commonplace tailgating is, AEB in India would contribute to as many accidents as it would prevent. And of course you'd be blamed for sudden braking while the errant party merrily rides off. Saw this firsthand while taking a TD of the new Seltos. A biker randomly decided to cut across the road, running almost perpendicular to the direction of traffic. The AEB kicked in. Hard. Meanwhile the biker cut the signal and vanished without giving an eff. As they tend to do here.

If there was a car behind me, we'd almost certainly have knocked fenders.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiagoatrix (Post 5654429)
Even on Express ways, I wouldn't dare to cross 100 kmph. In Indian roads you are always in for a surprise, I've reduced my maximum speed to 80 kmph, you can enjoy driving even at lower speeds. If the car had been equipped with Autonomous Emergency Breaking, the damage could've been much lesser. AEB must be mandatory across all vehicles more than the 6 air bag rule.

Fully agree with you regarding keeping the maximum speed to around 80 kmph on expressways at night. ADAS, at least the versions available in India, most likely would not have picked up the animal. It is not tuned to detect and brake for anything except vehicles and pedestrians. Some high end cards also detect bicycles. You would need level 3, Tesla sort of self drive capability, to detect an animal and then brake or avoid it and even then, it is not guaranteed.

I think the Seltos may have lsot control after the impact itself leading to greater overall damage. At such a high speed, the poor animal would likely be thrown away in the air.

Quote:

Originally Posted by poised2drive (Post 5654369)
The 100+ kmph has almost sealed the deal for that Seltos.

Nevertheless, one underrated habit I find it useful on a 4 Lane highway ( which may have saved the vehicle ) is

- driving on the vehicle on the Left Lane ( tend to be left if the extreme left has abnormal shoulder/potholes) when there is no vehicle ahead and only using the right lane to overtake.

You are correct. But the problem is that if one has no qualms at going at 120+ in night, there is no option but to be in the right lane because one would be constantly be overtaking. The dash cam never showed speeds above 120 (at least in that clip) because it is probably calculated using GPS (which tend to show slower speeds) but the constant warning beeps that you can here clearly points to the fact that the car was in excess of 120 Kmph not 100+.

I will put the blame largely on the driver and not on the buffalo. Dark night, dark highway and black buffalo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fhdowntheline (Post 5654746)
I think the Seltos may have lsot control after the impact itself leading to greater overall damage. At such a high speed, the poor animal would likely be thrown away in the air.

Glad there were no casualties in the crash except the buffalo I guess.

A very close friend of mine once hit a bull sitting on the road, while he was doing 100 kmph plus speeds in his sedan. He was lucky and nimble enough to retain control of his car and then stop safely.
The rapid transfer of energy states between the car and the animal made the animal fly high and land back a few meters behind where the bull was sitting. It narrowly missed another car. The damage sustained by my friend’s car was also quite a bit, almost, but not totalled though.
We learnt our lessons then. In this case the Seltos doing close to 115 kmph on a poorly lit road was inviting trouble. 8 Lakh kms of experience did teach the driver about all passengers wearing seat belts but I am surprised he did not anticipate animals or even crazy humans with their non roadworthy contraptions. Diligence and anticipation go a long way in enhancing safety. Stick to the rules, live longer and healthier.

https://youtu.be/zuDQVRRD0aY?si=IqKUSc-I6RhqSMaJ

An argument between doctor (red glanza) and lorry driver suddenly turns into a physical assault by lorry driver. Doctors are critical care workers, imagine him going to perform a surgery after this ordeal.
What could've been solved by a simple insurance turns into rage.

Not sure who's at fault here, but the glanza's driver side door panel is cut open. This has happend in the heart of Chennai city, can the city traffic police install cameras to cover entire road network?

A truck rear-ended an ambulance, that in turn hit a Wagon R which in turn hit another car an i 20 , waiting for the signal ahead of it. The collisions were at low speeds evidently, as the Wagon R, the worst affected amongst all, suffered a marginal of 2-5% reduction of its length. It suffered damages both on its front and rear and so also the Tata ambulance. The latter was less affected. The "Domino Effect" collision happened in North Nagpur on a highway within the city.

The truck driver could have tried to apply brakes but failed to do so in the nick of time resulting in this chain of collisions.

https://twitter.com/bolsarfaraz/stat...8UGpHDx1Q&s=19

That Seltos’s speed was writing cheques its lights couldn’t cash.

During daylight, braking distance is the biggest yardstick for the best speed in any situation. At night, the visibility provided by the lights pretty much overrides the braking distance, because you got to see before you can hit the brakes.

And, pedestrians and animals crossing roads judge speeds of the vehicles they’re avoiding even less accurately, when they can only go by the headlights coming towards them.

Rash driving, expressway or otherwise.