Team-BHP - Accidents in India | Pics & Videos
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Accidents in India | Pics & Videos (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/109249-accidents-india-pics-videos-2615.html)

Absolutely avoidable loss of lives :unhappy

https://m.youtube.com/watch?utm_camp...ature=youtu.be

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_2023102509341301_09b0decbe4b7d7c0b880bfd3cec2697c.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by discoverwild (Post 5648139)
How much ever distressing the accident can be, a case of murder/manslaughter cannot be registered because we, the public, deem it so. It remains death due to negligence or in other cases, under influence.

With due respect, hit and run should not be considered a genuine mistake, it is important to stop and do the basic courtesy check. When a person drives off the accident spot, even if that accident was an unintentional one, it should be considered murder.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vvivek85 (Post 5649529)
With due respect, hit and run should not be considered a genuine mistake, it is important to stop and do the basic courtesy check. When a person drives off the accident spot, even if that accident was an unintentional one, it should be considered murder.

And with all due respect or without disagreeing with your sentiment, I will just highlight a few instances that I have come across as an Advocate, in Hit and Run cases. A lot of time, hit and run happens due to negligence. Deaths happen. And people run.

Now lot of times people run from the spot only to escape Mob justice. There are countless instances where Mobs have thrashed person involved in the accident or survivor. In quite a few cases, people run from the spot, go to the nearest police station and surrender.

Now coming to Murder - In law, there is a very essential ingredient to Murder - it is called "Intent". In Accidents, they are often just accidents, there is no intent, there is no forethought, planning or conspiracy to commit accident and therefore murder. Therefore at best the charge would be negligence leading to a death, but not murder. The law on the subject is very clear regardless of what you or I may feel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vvivek85 (Post 5649529)
When a person drives off the accident spot, even if that accident was an unintentional one, it should be considered murder.

Quote:

It remains death due to negligence or in other cases, under influence. It can be murder only if it was premeditated.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ays7 (Post 5649561)
Now lot of times people run from the spot only to escape Mob justice. There are countless instances where Mobs have thrashed person involved in the accident or survivor. In quite a few cases, people run from the spot, go to the nearest police station and surrender.

Now coming to Murder - In law, there is a very essential ingredient to Murder - it is called "Intent". In Accidents, they are often just accidents, there is no intent, there is no forethought, planning or conspiracy to commit accident and therefore murder.

Dear Vivek,

The learned lawyer has reiterated my point. I hope that clarifies. Public sentiment and outrage is different from the letter of the law. We can only hope that those involved learn from their mistakes and be better.

The bus driver's skill saved what could have resulted in some serious injuries. Ofcourse the root cause was the excessive speed on a very wet road.

https://youtu.be/Urrqc5I4zxA?si=3qDAxKZQqclRiLaL

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky@home (Post 5649686)
The bus driver's skill saved what could have resulted in some serious injuries. Ofcourse the root cause was the excessive speed on a very wet road.

Its the road side barrier which saved the bus from plunging down and overturning. Driver skills are foolishness, idiocy to name few but definitely not driving.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky@home (Post 5649686)

His poor judgment and poor skills got him to that position. Wet road, curve, speed, on an old bus with rudimentary handling and no safety features whatsoever. Likely over-inflated tyres to get more kmpl too. It was sheer luck no one was injured and a major mishap was averted.

Perfect example how guard rails can save lives
https://youtu.be/Urrqc5I4zxA?si=03XNgm6MiLJaOd4r

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz (Post 5649703)
Driver skills are foolishness, idiocy to name few but definitely not driving.

Well, he did turn the steering wheel the right way. That amounts for something I suppose.

It is a purple-liveried bus - that means it has official blessing to consider the road as an F1 track. This could have been a massive disaster.

These men behind the wheels aren't fit for this job, they are gambling on the lives of many and are getting paid for that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by poloman (Post 5649799)
https://youtu.be/Urrqc5I4zxA?si=03XNgm6MiLJaOd4r

And how not to drive in wet condition. Okey make that any condition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by poloman (Post 5649799)

Extremely lucky of not getting electrocuted. The electric lines snapped off and are hanging just above the bus.

Dear Ays7 and discoverwild, Thanks for your feedback, while I understand on the current law; my point is we need to have some stringent changes in law to induce seriousness amongst riders / drivers. Reason? Here we go

- I have seen quite a many hit and run due to rash driving. Isn’t it basics to drive the vehicle in controllable speed? Majority of them should know speed kills, in spite of that if people drive in that manner, it is better to take the stick.

- For argument on driving without stopping due to mobs, I understand, but how many go and surrender in police? While I understand some genuine offenders may fear about their future if they go to police, that’s where it percolates down to my earlier point “ Drive responsible to avoid being here”

- For people who hit accelerator instead of brakes due to fear, sorry if I am harsh; they are not fit to drive or ride. It is very important that eligible drivers sit behind the wheels. What I mean by eligible? Individuals should have good presence of mind, speed control and should drive responsible especially in a country like India where is no discipline whatsoever. One cannot drive at 60 kmph in crowed place and say sorry.

Why I need law to be stringent? Am I an emotional idiot? Yes I am !! Even though by God’s grace I wasn’t impacted nor impacted someone *Touchwood* I feel for the families who would’ve lost their near and dear ones, how many have lost their kids, fathers, mothers, just by saying someone made a genuine mistake will not wipe off their tragic loss and taruma which they are going to face for rest of their life. Having said, no one will commit accident just of the sake of it. But only strict laws can make people responsible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vvivek85 (Post 5650058)
Dear Ays7 and discoverwild, Thanks for your feedback, while I understand on the current law; my point is we need to have some stringent changes in law to induce seriousness amongst riders / drivers.

I have a different take. India is not hampered by the lack of (stringency of ?) laws. It is the lack of implementation/enforcement. Together with the lack of awareness on safety,
even among the educated elites, This makes a potent mix. Does the person driving the wrong side for 1 ms gain in his precious time or parking on the highway to click selfie have a full understanding of what he is putting himself into (forget about empathy for others) ? I doubt it for I believe the basic sense of self preservation should kick in and warn him. My conversations with many in my family/relatives/friends has convinced me that it is difficult for many (whom I would qualify as well educated) to really fathom the consequence of their action.

Not just traffic safety, I routinely find people flouting basic fire safety precautions (for example I know many house holds that only switch of the regulator of their LPG connection when the go for long vacation). I really do not understand why (there does not seem to be any gain for the risks taken).

Quote:

Originally Posted by vvivek85 (Post 5650058)
- I have seen quite a many hit and run due to rash driving. Isn’t it basics to drive the vehicle in controllable speed?

- For people who hit accelerator instead of brakes due to fear, sorry if I am harsh; they are not fit to drive or ride. Individuals should have good presence of mind, speed control and should drive responsible especially in a country like India where is no discipline whatsoever.

Why I need law to be stringent? But only strict laws can make people responsible.

Dear Vivek,

We have stringent laws in place for every kind of scenario. It is in the implementation that we are grossly lacking, and also the sheer lack in numbers of enforcers.

Also, this is a country which goes by, "Jaanta nahin ki mera baap kaun hai". The high and the mighty get away with accidents committed by "driverless" cars, with enough evidence to the contrary. Look at the entourage of cars running with any politician, the number of rules that are flouted. The number of "chapri" bikers and those YouTubers and Instagrammers chasing their few seconds of fame. You will understand the sheer volume of it.

Look at police numbers in correlation with the population of the city and you'll be left surprised. The system is deeply stuck in a rut with no easy way out. No other country, not even China, has to manage this kind of a scenario. A multi-lingual, multi-cultural, floating population with millions of vehicles being sold each year.

The only way for the present is self-preservation. Be extremely aware of your surroundings. Teach your kids, spouse, family the need for the same and safety. That's in our hands.