Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2023, 08:27   #39061
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

A lorry which was carrying beer bottles met with an accident near Madurantakam (Chennai- Trichy highway), knowing the beer bottles were scattered huge crowd gathered there for obvious reasons. Look at the way these people are crossing NH 45 with no discipline

Life or Beer? Hold my beer

vvivek85 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 10:53   #39062
BHPian

Some graphic visuals.

This is massive. A car has disappeared after getting sandwiched between a bus and truck.

https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=1007140990507737

Last edited by Aditya : 26th September 2023 at 20:19. Reason: Grammar
tbppjpr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 11:58   #39063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityslicker86 View Post
I purchased a Hyundai Verna recently. I was hopeful that Hyundai has taken measures to fix the safety aspect of their vehicles and would pass the crash tests soon. Alas, that hasn't happened and probably wont. Now I am thinking whether I should dispose it in a year and move to a 2nd hand Toyota (non-Maruti version) somehow. VAGs, Tatas and Mahindras are safe too but I doubt the reliability of these vehicles. Nightmare stories of VAG customers prevented me from going for the Virtus. I don't think any brand other than Toyota gives a total Peace of Mind experience. Safe, reliable, comfortable, efficient vehicles.
I was in the same situation like you earlier this year. Started with Altroz but the reliability nightmares kept me away. XUV300 was almost finalized but the bootspace was a dealbreaker. Then I considered the sedans. The polarizing design on the Verna felt good but the safety aspect, especially since most of my usage is on the highways, drove me away from the Hyundai. Then the reliability issues with VAG twins. Then came the City which was the best of both worlds. Safe, reliable and also fun to drive. Everytime I go through a fastag toll, I redline the engine in second gear and it sounds unlike anything I drove before. Try the Honda. It is as much reliable as Toyota's and also safe.

Last edited by Aditya : 27th September 2023 at 18:19. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
broke_enthu27 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 17:28   #39064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleueNinja View Post
I have no idea if this has been shared on this thread earlier
It’s already in this thread here (Accidents in India | Pics & Videos)

Will have to wait for more facts before deciding where the buck stops

Seems this issue needs a new dedicated thread
Old 27th September 2023, 09:08   #39065
BHPian

https://www.newindianexpress.com/nat...v-2618119.html

A criminal case has been lodged against Mahindra Group chairman Anand Mahindra and 12 others in Kanpur on the basis of a complaint given by one Rajesh Mishra alleging that false assurance about the safety of a four-wheeler led to the demise of his son in a road mishap.

The case could be lodged only after the complainant, who lost his son Dr Apoorv Mishra in an accident on January 14, 2022, approached a local court to get the order for lodging the case on Saturday. Even the dealership manager Anand Gopal Mahindra was among those booked at the Raipurwa police station in Kanpur.

According to the complaint of Rajesh Mishra, he bought a Black Mahindra Scorpio SUV for Rs 17.39 lakh on December 2, 2020, convinced about its security aspect after seeing advertisements and posts on social media by Anand Mahindra.

As per the complaint, Rajesh Mishra gifted the SUV to his son Dr Apoorv Mishra keeping in mind the advertisements and claims made on safety. “On January 14, 2022, my son Dr Apoorv was returning to Kanpur from Lucknow in the same SUV. Along with Apoorv, his friends were also in the car and all of them were wearing their seat belts (mentioned in the police report). Because of fog, the car hit the divider and turned turtle multiple times killing my son on the spot,” said the complaint.

The complainant has further said that he would have never bought the SUV if assurances of safety were not given. It also says that despite the occupants were wearing the seat belt, the airbags in the car didn’t open, resulting in his son’s death. Thus the company had cheated him by giving false assurances. It also said that it was found through sources that there were no airbags in the car.

The Raipurwa police lodged the FIR under Indian Penal Code sections 420 (cheating), 287 (Negligent conduct with respect to machinery), 304-A (causing death by negligence), 504 (intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of the peace), 506 (criminal intimidation), and 102-B (criminal intimidation). SHO, Raipurwa, Aman Singh, said the investigation in the case was on.
som9729 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 11:32   #39066
Senior - BHPian

A love affair between a Hyundai, a Maruti and a Tata.

The video is self explanatory.

ashutoshb is online now   (32) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 12:22   #39067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Some graphic visuals.

This is massive. A car has disappeared after getting sandwiched between a bus and truck.

https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=1007140990507737
This is so heartbreaking and shocking. I am always scared and more vigilant while driving around buses and trucks and constantly honking so that they know a small car is around them.
Dhillon is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 14:15   #39068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post

https://Youtube.com/watch?v=ZE40vCzb...8B8BMwepJKyQHW
While the machine in the middle sounds strong, the tendency "not to budge" even during a frontal impact raises concerns about an effective crumple zone.. IMBW
Street_Smart is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 15:34   #39069
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by som9729 View Post
Because of fog...
As if the driver didn't know it was foggy?

fog does not cause accidents. Drivers do.

Quote:
Thanks for the warning. Not going to watch, but I get the idea.

My driving instructor used to say never be the meat in the sandwich. So wise!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 15:36   #39070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Smart View Post
While the machine in the middle sounds strong, the tendency "not to budge" even during a frontal impact raises concerns about an effective crumple zone.. IMBW
The Punch was rated solidly when it was put under a crash test.

That said, I'm also concerned about the actual impact to the driver inside. If I'm not mistaken, the design of the Punch is such that the driver sits a bit closer to the steering wheel than the Swift or the Carens. I'd like to know if the driver escaped without injuries.

It's been fashionable to bash Maruti and Hyundai - Kia for their approach towards safety in cars, and deservedly so. They need to be called at every opportunity. That doesn't mean that safer cars like Tata Punch can be driven recklessly. In this case, without even looking at any dashcam, I'll hazard a guess that both the Punch and the Swift were tailgating the respective cars before them.

Quote:
Some graphic visuals.

Whoa. I totally missed the car until I saw the wheels the second time around. I'm pretty sure no car would have survived being smacked between those two behemoths, irrespective of safety ratings. And it looks to be a fatal accident too...

Scary.

Last edited by Small Bot : 27th September 2023 at 15:42.
Small Bot is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 15:38   #39071
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Smart View Post
It looks more like a fender-bender accident. Damage to bumpers, hood and doors does not mean damage to monocoque! So I think the question of crumple zones' activation does not even arise.
Comrade is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 16:19   #39072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Bot View Post
The Punch was rated solidly when it was put under a crash test.

That said, I'm also concerned about the actual impact to the driver inside. If I'm not mistaken, the design of the Punch is such that the driver sits a bit closer to the steering wheel than the Swift or the Carens. I'd like to know if the driver escaped without injuries.

It's been fashionable to bash Maruti and Hyundai - Kia for their approach towards safety in cars, and deservedly so. They need to be called at every opportunity. That doesn't mean that safer cars like Tata Punch can be driven recklessly. In this case, without even looking at any dashcam, I'll hazard a guess that both the Punch and the Swift were tailgating the respective cars before them.
Brother,

If you are calling my post 'fashionable', let me assure you, that was not the intent.

I try to be careful, not to become an armchair safety expert or a keyboard warrior.

Without trying to go in the crumple zones, the width of the sheet metal, the angle of the driver's nose hair, what's visible in the video is, that the three manufacturers clearly have different approaches toward passenger safety. One tends to do it slightly better in such fender-benders and NCAP tests.

That being said, I fully agree with you, that driving in a safer car does not mean one can drive recklessly.
ashutoshb is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 16:43   #39073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evyas View Post
On 14 January 2022, Apoorv returning to Kanpur from Lucknow in Scorpio met with an accident and died. He was wearing the seat belt but the airbag didn't open. Rajesh Mishra alleged he found out that there was no airbag installed in the vehicle. Mishra moved a local court and now an FIR has been registered against Mahindra Chairman Anand Gopal Mahindra and 12 others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shitij View Post
Saw this on a Facebook group. This is a little bit of a shocker, if proven true, the car didn't have airbags in the car, going forward do we ask the dealers to show us the airbags during PDI?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
The missing airbags sounds dubious considering the ECU should have had a warning otherwise surely? It is not impossible but sounds less probable in modern cars.

The airbags not deploying could be a very valid issue and there are couple of alleged instances of the same with Mahindra's latest gen cars I have read about in the last few months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by som9729 View Post
A criminal case has been lodged against Mahindra Group chairman Anand Mahindra and 12 others in Kanpur on the basis of a complaint given by one Rajesh Mishra alleging that false assurance about the safety of a four-wheeler led to the demise of his son in a road mishap...
It also says that despite the occupants were wearing the seat belt, the airbags in the car didn’t open, resulting in his son’s death.... It also said that it was found through sources that there were no airbags in the car.
Mahindra Explains Why Airbags Didn't Open In SUV Crash That Killed UP Man
Source: NDTV

Quote:
the company has ruled out any malfunction in the airbags of the Scorpio SUV he was driving.

"We would hence like to categorically reconfirm that the Scorpio S9 variant manufactured in 2020 did have airbags. We have investigated and there was no malfunction of the airbags. It was a rollover case which would not deploy the frontal airbags"

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-f7admn8wcaa_bmp.jpg
If it was a roll-over, frontal airbags won't deploy in most cases. Still, I would wait for the outcome of the FIR/ court case before arriving at any conclusion.
AutoNoob is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 18:14   #39074
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

https://www.eenadu.net/telugu-news/d.../529/123178769

Horrible accident on the Hyd-ORR at Exit #10.
As per the news, the car was driving in the 4th lane where a container suddenly switched lanes from 3rd to 4th without any indicator. The car went under the container and the driver was dead on spot.

No news about the speed of the vehicles before the accident happened. The car couldn't be identified.

From the personal experience, the last 2 lanes which are marked for heavy vehicles are turning to be nightmare for smaller vehicles who plan to drive a bit slow (<80kmph) and planning to take an exit as soon as the 1st exit board appears.
Altrozed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 19:03   #39075
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altrozed View Post
The car is a swift with custom alloys. The door has Swift marking on the door guard (I don't recollect what exactly is it called).

Regarding the accident, I have also observed that ORR has become very dangerous of late. The reason being, sudden closure of two lanes due to repair work at multiple stretches.

At 120 km/hr, you can easily bump into the safety cones if repair is ongoing after a turn.

Secondly, rarely anyone knows what the new speed limits are, everyone knows that the upper limit is 120 km/h on the first two lanes. The article you mentioned has put it all wrong.

I would continue to drive at 100 km/hr on busy or curved stretches, 120 km/hr is only for clear traffic free stretches. However, other drivers driving at around 140 km/hr still move around on all the lanes

The error and the correct minimum speeds are mentioned in the attachments.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_2023_0927_1840132.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20230927_1842252.jpg  

MT_Hyderabad is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks