Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2023, 19:47   #38641
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post

As accident happened in evening and he was arrested next morning there is a good chance of alcohol still in system unless people have been paid not to show it.
A late test is valid only if the person was arrested on the spot, but alcometer test for some reason wasn't done. If arrested next day, he can conveniently say he had a drink after the accident in the night. It simply doesnt stand.
Old 9th August 2023, 08:52   #38642
BHPian

Zero checking for oncoming traffic from the car.

Underage kids, no helmet, riding with two pillions. All just perfect recipes for disaster. The rider is no more and the pillion riders are critically injured.

Last edited by epiccross : 9th August 2023 at 08:56.
epiccross is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 09:16   #38643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiccross View Post
The rider is no more and the pillion riders are critically injured.
A small correction. The voiceover says that the dead kid was sitting at the rearmost position among the three riders on the scooter (starting at 0:50 in the video).
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 09:56   #38644
BHPian

Quote:
Might be the car driver expected the scooter to slow down but I also do not see the indicator on in the car. And, obviously, the 2 wheeler was being driven at a higher speed than ideal. The driver of the scooter didn't have the patience to slow down or stop when he saw the car moving to turn.
asmr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 10:21   #38645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
but I also do not see the indicator on in the car.
Note sure from the video, but the voiceover says the car's indicators were On and that it was turning slowly.
hdus001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 10:34   #38646
BHPian

This occurred yesterday in Theog, Himachal Pradesh. The vehicle was laden with apples and had a faulty brake system.

2 people lost their lives as truck overturned on their car.

Last edited by dicor : 9th August 2023 at 10:46. Reason: editing incident date
dicor is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 10:53   #38647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicor View Post
This occurred yesterday in Theog, Himachal Pradesh. The vehicle was laden with apples and had a faulty brake system.
I don't know what anybody in this situation could have done differently at the time of the incident

This is why I try to give a wide berth to loaded trucks - if there is some accident like this, I want to have at least a chance to survive.
Small Bot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 10:59   #38648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdus001 View Post
Note sure from the video, but the voiceover says the car's indicators were On and that it was turning slowly.
Which makes it even worse of a mistake on the 2 wheeler. I wish all drivers had just a bit of additional patience to make up for another's impatience on the roads but it is just wishful thinking. I remember my driving test while studying in USA. I was failed on my first test since I made a right turn when there was a vehicle approaching from the left. The vehicle was far away, by Indian standards and I was a bit puffed up too as a young guy.

If the car driver had waited for 5 seconds, this accident would have been avoided. But I am not blaming him entirely.

Quote:

Looks like he tried to make the curve at high speed, with high center of gravity and faulty brakes, while not expecting to have multiple vehicles in parallel lines. He ended up toppling, damaging 2 cars and killing 2 people. Very unfortunate. I wonder why those cars and another truck were all parked there already.
asmr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 11:10   #38649
BHPian

Quote:

https://Youtu.be/PBCX1uZXqaU
Car driver missed the basic mirror check before pulling over or turning.
As the size of the vehicle increases, the responsibility increases too, so I would say, its the mistake of the car driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdus001 View Post
Indicators doesn't mean its right of way, its a request for oncoming traffic or traffic behind to give us way. Car should've given way.

Last edited by chaitanyakrish : 9th August 2023 at 11:26.
chaitanyakrish is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 11:27   #38650
BHPian

Quote:

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=X5tFvPrX9jE
Indian trucks are usually overloaded, badly maintained and driven by people who don’t take enough breaks to ensure alertness.
These tragic incidents will keep happening till a culture of safe and responsible commercial vehicle operation is imposed top down.
Mustang Sammy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 11:43   #38651
Senior - BHPian

We can see people driving on the road, suddenly applying brakes to stop in middle of the road to make a turn. Another bunch who will swerve into a main road out of nowhere. No sign, no indicator, nothing.
At the same time, come a light drizzle, all these fellows will be happily driving around with the hazards ON.
Something somewhere has seriously gone wrong.

Most of the videos in this thread shows how precious life is taken away in matter of seconds, mostly because of someones stupidity or ignorance about sharing road with others.
sarathlal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 19:14   #38652
Senior - BHPian

A quick video of a fresh accident I caught on the dashcam enroute Bangalore from Madras a couple of days ago.

It did not look like anyone was majorly hurt (thank God!) and it is heartening to see 2-3 cars stop to help.

We proceeded as there was not much we could do to help.

Last edited by sridhu : 9th August 2023 at 19:18.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 19:19   #38653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
Indicators doesn't mean its right of way, its a request for oncoming traffic or traffic behind to give us way. Car should've given way.
Why should the car have given way to traffic from behind?

If the vehicle in front of me has given a signal to turn right (well in advance), then I, as the following vehicle, should either wait behind or overtake through the left, if it is safe to do so.

Let me state here that it is not clear from the video if the car's indicators were ON. I am going by the voiceover which says they were.

Quote:
(2) Taking a right turn,-
(a) the driver who wishes to turn right shall clearly and in good time indicate his intention to turn right by using either the direction indicator or by giving a hand signal;

(b) before turning right, the driver shall in good time move to the right most lane;

(c) while driving on a multi-lane road, where direction arrows pointing to the right are marked on the road, the driver shall remain in that lane while taking right turn;

(d) before moving into the right lane, the driver shall keep in mind the traffic on his right and behind him, and change the lane only after giving a right-turn signal;

(e) at uncontrolled pedestrian crossings, the driver shall give way to pedestrians.
Based on the video, the car is in the correct lane (right-most lane) to initiate a right turn.

Quote:
(2) A vehicle shall be overtaken only from the right side:
Provided that a vehicle may be overtaken from the left, if-
(a) the vehicle which is to overtake and the vehicle which is to be overtaken are both driving on a multi-lane road and the vehicle ahead can be safely overtaken in a marked lane to the left of the vehicle being overtaken;

(b) the vehicle to be overtaken is either turning right or making a ‘U’ turn from the centre of the road and is giving a signal to turn and it would be safe to overtake it from the left; or

(c) the vehicle to be overtaken is stationary and it is safe to pass it from the left
When the car comes to view in the video it has already started turning right. The scooter (carrying three) is a fair distance behind at this time, but we can already see in this frame itself that the scooter was leaning right. It has no intention of slowing down. I assume it was leaning right since it had already seen the car's indicator and wanted to pass it before it could turn.

It would be different if the car was stationary on the left side of the road when it started the turn. But based on the video, there is no indication that the car was stopped.

Last edited by StarrySky : 9th August 2023 at 19:23.
StarrySky is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 19:35   #38654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Why should the car have given way to traffic from behind?
Agreed. As per MVDR, car is correct.
However, in India, in addition to rules, we need to have anticipation and little more common sense to avoid a crash.
If the vehicle behind is not willing to stop, car must abort the move.
Our goal is to prevent a crash but not to cause a crash and prove everyone that we had the right of way, if required we can relinquish our right of way.

Instead of a bike, if there was a bus or truck, I wonder if the car driver had attempted that.

Last edited by chaitanyakrish : 9th August 2023 at 19:40.
chaitanyakrish is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 23:15   #38655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
If the vehicle behind is not willing to stop, car must abort the move.
Instead of a bike, if there was a bus or truck, I wonder if the car driver had attempted that.
In the video, it appears the scooter was in car's blind spot. The car driver does apply brakes once he notices scooter and stops a moment before impact. You can confirm this by the way bonnet moves up and down. While checking this, I could also see the indicator blinking (notice the indicator on mirror and a small light on the extreme end of headlight). It blinks only once because the video is slowed down. So the scooter tries to overtake, hits the bonnet and everyone falls down within 2 blinks of the indicator.

I cannot see a reason to blame the car. The scooter was being driven recklessly and paid the price. I would generally say cars to be cautious, but this accident could not have been avoided solely by car driver.

Last edited by prajwalmr62 : 9th August 2023 at 23:19.

Most Viewed