Team-BHP - Accidents in India | Pics & Videos
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Accidents in India | Pics & Videos (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/109249-accidents-india-pics-videos-2560.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvm (Post 5574921)
Whatever speed one may be doing, it is the fault of the rear-ending vehicle. ALWAYS. Everywhere in the world, including India. As I said earlier, I have had discussions on this rear-ending topic with traffic police couple of times - even they agree on the same thing. It is the duty of the vehicle behind to leave enough stopping distance during emergency breaking - No police / court will accept the excuse "But Sir/Madam, the person in front stopped suddenly". Kindly tell your friend to take this as a lesson for future.

Quote:

Originally Posted by epiccross (Post 5574962)
Why do people tailgate others so closely, especially on our roads where there are tons of reasons for the vehicle ahead to peform emergency braking? I understand that people are perhaps attuned to a certain driving pattern here and perhaps accidents happen, but what really gets me is that people really think that it's somehow the responsibility of the vehicle ahead to not be rear ended! I've seen countless videos and incidents when the tailgating vehicles have blamed the ones ahead for braking suddenly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gansan (Post 5574982)
It is always the mistake of the following car when it rear ends a car ahead. ALWAYS. The driver ahead can brake suddenly for n number of reasons. Sudden huge pothole, big rock on the road, a small animal or kid darting across which the following driver can't see. The driver may even have a sudden heart attack and slam the brakes.

From what I've heard, my friend was not tailgating and was maintaining a good distance from the car infront of him. I don't want to exchange posts on who's fault it is, but I'm curious as to why there was so much of damage. Crumple zones yes but I never saw something crumple to this extent despite of being at a very moderate speed.
And yes, my friend was wearing a seatbelt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saikishor (Post 5575057)
From what I've heard, my friend was not tailgating and was maintaining a good distance from the car infront of him. I don't want to exchange posts on who's fault it is, but I'm curious as to why there was so much of damage. Crumple zones yes but I never saw something crumple to this extent despite of being at a very moderate speed.

IMO if he was maintaining a safe distance, then there's no way he'd end up in a rear ending incident. Unless this Sonet shoved himself in front of his gap, in which case he should fall behind further or reduce his speed to maintain the gap. I'm not perfect myself, but this is something that I obsessively follow.

Remember that it should be in seconds rather than meters, i.e. the gap should be proportional to the speed. As I said, with our driving patterns, mistakes do happen, but we should IMO acknowledge mistakes as such and attempt to correct them instead of blaming others :)

Re: the crumple zones, I'm just saying the rear end incidents can be misleading, I'm in no way saying that Baleno is a well built car or anything. You can go through the rear ending incidents in this thread and see similar patterns there as well, where rear ended vehicles almost always has least (observable) damage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GhostGrid (Post 5575024)
As we can see in the video, there were a few individuals around, and someone was seated in the driver's seat of an Altroz. He suddenly pressed the accelerator pedal, causing the car to accelerate quickly. It seems, a sweeper died instantly, and others hurt as well.

Didn't the car have handbrake on?

Happened to pass by the location within an hour or so of this happening, terrible scenes all around, the picture of the car can be seen on the article while the KSRTC (Saarige) bus had huge damage to it's front ( frontal portion had caved in a bit and the front right tyre/wheel was significantly damaged indicating that the car went through atleast halfway into the right frontal portion of the bus ). The car was extricated and dropped on the roadside (left side) while the bus was on it's side of the road when we crossed but the article quotes that bus rammed car, so unclear as to what the sequence of events was. Very saddening.

https://starofmysore.com/kodagu-coup...near-bilikere/

The entire stretch from Hunsur to Bilikere sees quite a few accidents. In fact, in this particular case, there was a signboard that said "Accident prone zone" 500 meters before the actual location of accident and 500 meters after the location on the opposite side.

PS: While at this can someone share the link/links to NHAIs list of accident hotspots/blackspots across India? Would be a useful reference to study.

Quote:

Originally Posted by airguitar (Post 5577251)
The car was extricated and dropped on the roadside (left side) while the bus was on it's side of the road when we crossed but the article quotes that bus rammed car, so unclear as to what the sequence of events was. Very saddening.

It happened between 2.45 - 3 p.m. and they were on their way to pickup their daughter from Mysore airport. Bus was doing 70-80 kmph for sure. It looked like over overtaking by car had gone wrong as there was an SUV on their left. May be they were in a hurry to reach the airport (Flight from HYD arrival time was 3.05 p.m.) and accident spot to the airport is another 45 min drive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saikishor (Post 5574879)
C'mon Maruti, Coke cans can hold up much better than your crap tincans. I am honestly very surprised as to what damage can happen if one hits another vehicle/object at such moderate speeds.

Please my friend, another example of the famed Baleno crumple zones in action!!! rl:

My apologies to another OP for not believing his driver's version of events in a Baleno - Thar with modified bumpers incident.

regards kaps454

Quote:

From what I've heard, my friend was not tailgating and was maintaining a good distance from the car infront of him.

Has a person who rear-ends ever accepted his mistake? I've never seen that happen!! In fact, I've seen my own family's drivers fighting after rear-ending others. (those drivers were severely reprimanded)

This impact is either of short distance or distraction i.e. he failed to apply brakes in time.

The fact is that traffic situations make us drive with less than optimal gap, otherwise someone else just cuts the lane, which in-fact is worse, because those cutting often end up braking, due to a failed overtaking etc. and then there is little chance to save rear-ending.

Most people have lost track of what is a safe distance to keep.

All of us are at the mercy of the car in front, because there is almost zero people who drive keeping safe distance! Some of us try to keep an eye on the development of a situation 5 cars ahead of us, and that is why its difficult to drive behind a SUV.

Quote:

Crumple zones yes but I never saw something crumple to this extent despite of being at a very moderate speed.

This is not moderate speed, if one does not apply brakes in time. From 50kmph, if this car had come down to 10kmph, this won't have been the damage. You can actually watch any crash test video, even a 64kmph is big impact and damage.

Its a fact that front always gets more damage than the rear, especially corners.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saikishor (Post 5574879)
This incident happened to one of my friend today in the morning. A jaywalker lady suddenly jumped onto the road. There was a Kia Sonet in front of my friend's Baleno. This Sonet guy was some college lecturer. He slammed on the brakes to avoid the woman but from what I've heard he hit the woman. My friend was doing 40-50kph and slammed on the brakes immediately after the Sonet guy braked hard. My friend couldn't stop in time and he hit the Sonet. This is what exactly happened, but the pictures just end up depicting something completely different.

C'mon Maruti, Coke cans can hold up much better than your crap tincans. I am honestly very surprised as to what damage can happen if one hits another vehicle/object at such moderate speeds.

Brother IMO this is more due to the point of impact being the Rear piller of Sonet.

I had a similar incident last year, where an Eeco had stopped suddenly while in green signal i despite having almost 60-70Mtr gap I had ended up rear ending it, with almost similar sort of damages to my grand i10 whereas there was almost no damage to Eeco barring the rear light.

I would like to know one thing that Did the airbag deploy in this case as they didn't in mine.

And I would like to highlight that Baleno as such has very light body, and even if you KICK it hard, there will be damage to the forsaken tincan i.e. Baleno.

See the pic of a beleno I took a few days ago.

That said, even today had a scary incident where a begger was crossing the Street almost 50-60m away, suddenly slowed down, and literally stopped in front of my vehicle, and I had to slam the breaks hard for last 30 or so meters, fortunately there was no vehicle behind me, or I would have been surely ended up rear- ended and hence I can understand the stance that while driving in our country, one should always be ready for morons to come on road and be ready to act.

Another overspeeding idiot taking innocent lives.

https://youtu.be/TEa0UutPYKc

High speed on a curve, oversteer resulting in loss of control.

Horrible accident in Mahbubnagar district of Telangana

An over-speeding Volkswagen Virtus loses control and crashes. The car was at 160 Km/hr when it lost control and the driver was allegedly under the influence of alcohol. There were four passengers, students of SVS medical college, Mahabubnagar. One of them died on the spot and the other three were critically injured, ranging from an amputated leg to a broken spinal cord. This once again reiterates that the driver is the most important safety feature of any car.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20230704-10.28.31-am.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20230704-10.28.32-am.jpeg

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhishekjoshi84 (Post 5578448)
Another overspeeding idiot taking innocent lives.

RIP.

Over speeding car driver should be punished.

I remember an incident which happened in Dindugal district in Tamilnadu a few years ago. Palani is a famous Murugan (Skanda) temple in Dindugal district, Tamilnadu. People from all over Tamil Nadu come to Palani temple from their hometowns walking hundreds of kilometres barefoot for a festival. There was a spike in road accidents involving these pedestrians (pilgrims) while they are on the way to festivals. The district administration made two changes a few years ago which brought down the number of accidents:

1. Pedestrians should wear reflective aprons (like construction workers) while walking after sunset. Reflective aprons were given for free by district administration for the pilgrims.

2. Pedestrians should walk facing the traffic instead of walking on the direction of traffic. Police and volunteers enforced this.

Walking facing the traffic will give atleast a few seconds to react for pedestrians.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhishekjoshi84 (Post 5578448)

I believe this would be understeer. And seems like there was loose sand/dirt on the road along the edge which would have resulted in loss in traction.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire_Burner (Post 5578478)
Horrible accident in Mahbubnagar district of Telangana

An over-speeding Volkswagen Virtus loses control and crashes. The car was at 160 Km/hr when it lost control and the driver was allegedly under the influence of alcohol. There were four passengers, students of SVS medical college, Mahabubnagar. One of them died on the spot and the other three were critically injured, ranging from an amputated leg to a broken spinal cord. This once again reiterates that the driver is the most important safety feature of any car.

Attachment 2471518

And I don't think any of them were wearing seat-belts or else those injuries would not have happened. Look at the passenger cell, still mostly intact. If this thing has actually taken a roll at those high-speeds, the car has done it's job really well. It's a pity, because the vehicle had come with side and curtain airbags and the occupants could have survived this with minor injuries.

A bit off-topic but relevant for this thread. There is a lot of controversies going on around installation on AI powered traffic cameras in Kerala. The initial impact of the same, irrespective of the controversies, looks promising. As per the Transport Minister, deaths as compared to last June, came down to 140 from 344, while accidents became 1278 from 3714. We need a few more months of data to confirm this but promising as of now!

Link, news is in Malayalam.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krishnakumar (Post 5578540)
I believe this would be understeer. And seems like there was loose sand/dirt on the road along the edge which would have resulted in loss in traction.

Looks like oversteer to me, turning right at high speed, rear end moves out and car turns in while losing traction from rear. That is oversteer. If it was understeer the front would have been straight/to the left.