Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2021, 08:20   #32581

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Road sense has to be inculcated in the upbringing. Just by increasing the age limit won’t help as mentioned by wheelyguy. With these young chaps behind the wheels with no sense is as good as murderers on the wheels putting public life in danger!

PS: Moderators correct me for the usage of the word.
Invincible8789 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 10:17   #32582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchsvy View Post
Reckless biker caused a collision, drivers of both the trucks and a cleaner are injured.
The biker seemed like was on a suicide mission

I also think the dumper truck should have been at controlled speed in that single lane portion while approaching a junction.

Dumper truck is a construction vehicle and not for regular plying on public roads. Also, these trucks don't have under run bars. There are number of accidents involving construction vehicles on public roads. I have found the attached section in The Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989. Can some legal expert clarify on this?

Quote:
Such construction equipment vehicles whose axle load exceeds 10.2 tonnes shall display permanently on the vehicle a placard indicating "NOT FOR PLYING ON ROADS". These conditions shall be mentioned in the certificate, issued by the testing agencies referred to in the rule 126, where the axle load exceeds 10.2 tonnes.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dt.png  

Last edited by airbus : 31st March 2021 at 10:41. Reason: Some updates.
airbus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 21:10   #32583
Senior - BHPian

Presence of mind and total alertness while being on the road saved the day for this bike rider.

And immaculate empathy shown by being the first to reach the accident victims!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 1st April 2021 at 13:10. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
sarathlal is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 09:40   #32584
BHPian

The biker should be jailed with maximum penalties. Infact it is equal to a murder and should be hanged to death

https://twitter.com/CYBTRAFFIC/statu...922378757?s=20
vvivek85 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 10:56   #32585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
The biker seemed like was on a suicide mission

I also think the dumper truck should have been at controlled speed in that single lane portion while approaching a junction.

Dumper truck is a construction vehicle and not for regular plying on public roads. Also, these trucks don't have under run bars. There are number of accidents involving construction vehicles on public roads. I have found the attached section in The Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989. Can some legal expert clarify on this?
There is no doubt that it's the Bikers fault there are no two ways about this.

But as you mentioned the Truck should have been at a controlled speed. The truck seems to be at a speed which was not controllable with the load. These construction vehicles (I am from construction industry) be it dumpers, Transit Mixers etc are usually overloaded for maximum output and driven fast since drivers get paid as per number of trips made. Both the above factors combined with unruly drivers/bikers it becomes deadly. Further the places (Construction sites and quarries ) these construction vehicles visit, the tyres are usually in bad shape with lots of cuts and bruises. These trucks need to be have a limited speed of 40 kmph.
tazmaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 11:01   #32586
BHPian

Just like types of people, there are types of bikers , I reckon !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Presence of mind and total alertness while being on the road saved the day for this bike rider.
And immaculate empathy shown by being the first to reach the accident victims!
A Sensible Biker saving his life and gathering himself in that heat of the moment and rushing to help the victims

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvivek85 View Post
The biker should be jailed with maximum penalties. Infact it is equal to a murder and should be hanged to death

Terrible. Cannot find words to describe the idiocy of that biker ! It just amounts to Culpable Homicide

The trucker knew the biker would die if he had not swerved as the brakes could not stop the momentum of the vehicle .

Last edited by poised2drive : 1st April 2021 at 11:07.
poised2drive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 11:04   #32587
BHPian

Our roads are filled with such idiots, who have utter disrespect for traffic (for that matter any) rules and other's lives.
The biker must be caught and brought to book.

Having said that, isn't the lorry too fast for that road? Or is the video being played fast?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvivek85 View Post

pkulkarni.2106 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 11:25   #32588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post

Having said that, isn't the lorry too fast for that road? Or is the video being played fast?
The truck was being driven fast. The tyre marks while braking and the distance it traveled after colliding with the oncoming truck substantiate the speed.
swissknife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 12:48   #32589
BHPian

Quote:
THE road did have 2 lanes but the left lane had lots of sand and was almost not visible typical of our suburb highways

Quote:
That is an interesting point. Dumpsters not being road legal and hence meant to be driven with double the precautions for odd small trips. The sad reality on our roads is just the opposite. Even in this case the dumpster driver was way too fast for emergency braking and along with that stupid biker equally culpable for this accident. The dumpster should have rather taken on that biker for a practical demo on Darwin's theory

Only saving grace is that the dumpster did not run over some smaller vehicle or pedestrians at that intersection. Recently there was a dumpster video that did a similar maneuver and ended up burying 4 people including a woman and her 2 children under its full load of concrete

Last edited by suhaas307 : 1st April 2021 at 13:09. Reason: Spellcheck / spacing for improved readability
venbas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 12:53   #32590
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
It was so frustrating to watch this video. He didn’t even glance towards his right before crossing. I bet he left from there like nothing happened after causing such a chaos. Hoping the video helps to find and hold him responsible and truck insurance companies chase him for any claims. And wishing for the truck drivers to recover soon.

Also, sorry to say this but the truck driver probably shouldn’t have done the instinctive swerve. What if the median had 20 pedestrians waiting to cross? It’s a split second decision and I pray that I’m never put in situations like this. Some of these bikers are begging to be a roadkill and innocent lives getting hurt because of these idiots is not acceptable.
It's a damned if you do , damned if you don't situation for the truck driver. If he didn't swerve he would be in jail for running over the biker. If he did swerve, he risks his own life.
guru_max is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 13:12   #32591
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Reckless biker caused a collision, drivers of both the trucks and a cleaner are injured.

https://Youtu.be/XuAZbyQhEOs
Sadly, irresponsible and reckless two wheeler driver behaviour is on the rise and getting noticeably worse with each passing decade.

I often wonder about the root cause of such behaviour because after all self-preservation is an instinct all living beings possess. My conclusions are as follows that such behaviour stems from a toxic mix of - a very misplaced ego of yourself and your place on the road; zero knowledge of physics that a truck or car cannot stop or turn on a dime like your two-wheeler can; an attitude that the big guy will be blamed so I (the 2-wheeler chap) can do anything and it is the responsibility of the car/truck driver to save his backside and in the process save my skin; and of course lack of rudimentary understanding of road safety rules even for one's own self.

In a country with a proper functioning judiciary this 2-wheeler chap would be up for man slaughter not amounting to murder.
V.Narayan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 13:46   #32592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
In a country with a proper functioning judiciary this 2-wheeler chap would be up for man slaughter not amounting to murder.
From what I read the biker has been arrested and charged with IPC 337.
binand is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 13:55   #32593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Sadly, irresponsible and reckless two wheeler driver behaviour is on the rise and getting noticeably worse with each passing decade.

I often wonder about the root cause of such behaviour because after all self-preservation is an instinct all living beings possess.
In my humble opinion, it comes from the thought process that, road safety is someone else's responsibility, if something goes wrong then it is always the fault of the other person/vehicle, not mine, and I have a very valid reason to cross the road, I was in hurry, I had to, that's it.

Due to the Pandemic, people are preferring personal vehicles, resulting in a vehicle boom in the city, and we get to see more of these nuts on the roads every day. My instructor during my learning days told me to watch out for RTC buses and Autorickshaws, but nowadays, it's anyone and everyone on every kind of 2,4,6 or 8 wheeler.

As sane riders and drivers, it's our responsibility to ride/drive responsibly, but even then, we can't be sure that we will reach our destinations safe and sound. I believe in God and used to pray before my drives/rides to keep me safe from the others on the road and from accidents, then added one more line to my prayer to keep others safe from me and my vehicle, then recently added one more line to my prayer.. to keep me safe from me!
tchsvy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 14:50   #32594
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In my humble opinion, it comes from the thought process that, road safety is someone else's responsibility, if something goes wrong then it is always the fault of the other person/vehicle, not mine, and I have a very valid reason to cross the road, I was in hurry, I had to, that's it.
What you say is true, but I also think that many 2-wheelers do not think of the bike as a vehicle, they think of it as being closer to being a pedestrian. Thus, they expect that they and everybody else can manoeuvre just like on foot, and nobody gets hurt when something does go wrong. The latter is the height of ignorance: I have never been a biker, but I have I have grown up with the fact that it is the most dangerous form of transport. Worldwide.

As I say, I don't "do" two wheels, not even with pedals (I somehow lost the knack after years without a bicycle, and considered London too dangerous a place to relearn, and here, of course, much worse) but... They have the attitude they can turn/stop/anything at will, but it isn't true, right? Correct me if I'm wrong, but surely it is a lot easier to fall off a bike than to suffer a similar fate in a car? And the car driver has some protection. Also, even a bike has stopping distance.

Anyway, many of us here know all this. Expecting those around us to take it in is just

Thad E Ginathom is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 21:10   #32595
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
From what I read the biker has been arrested and charged with IPC 337.
Thank you for sharing this. I am relieved to hear this. I wonder if it is a first in India or one of the first such cases where a two-wheeler rider is held responsible for rash driving and the harm his/her recklessness caused. I lost count a long while ago of the number of two wheeler riders (almost invariably bikers) whose lives/limbs have been saved because I braked in the nick of time to allow him to cut ahead. I'm sure every Team BHPian has had innumerable similar experiences.
V.Narayan is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks