Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2019, 16:42   #28876
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
An NRI lost his life while driving an ATV in a resort near to Hyderabad yesterday.
NRI, but he wasnt aware that he has to wear a helmet before he embarks on these machines.
audioholic is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 17:56   #28877
BHPian

Quote:
Based on the video, it was an accident and clearly there was no dog involved as mentioned in the news article.
I just wonder if these news sites, in their haste to be the first to report just have standard templates where motorcyle accidents are the result of avoiding dogs and highway car accidents are due to a burst tire. Its such a lazy piece of reporting. I doubt the reporter even bothered to watch the video!
esoticoreventon is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 22:02   #28878
BHPian

donkey vs wagonr

the kind of things that happen in this country amazes me

aerohit is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 22:07   #28879
BHPian

Re: donkey vs wagonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Looks like a new driver. The person slammed the accelerator instead of the brakes.
boniver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 22:54   #28880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
NRI, but he wasnt aware that he has to wear a helmet before he embarks on these machines.

Well, I doubt in this case, even if he had worn a helmet, whether it would have made any major difference.If the vehicle falls on you, nothing much will protect you.

Having said that, yes, it is plain stupidity not wearing protective gear while using these ATVs.
haria is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 23:15   #28881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The horse and it's owner did an amazing job in controlling the cart after it was rammed from behind. The horse got a good job pat too. Hopefully it didn't get too hurt in the process.
The look the horse gave the car after it landed was priceless.
tharian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 00:24   #28882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..lost his life while driving an ATV
Based on the video, ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
...even if he had worn a helmet, ...If the vehicle falls on you, nothing much will protect you.
This video is quite an eye opener and shows how easily a quad-bike can tumble forward with dangerous consequences.

For starters, the rider wasn't going to fast or rash and it was quite a moderate hump that was steep enough to cause the quad-bike to flip over forwards and land on top of the rider unfortunately.

With a high centre of gravity, these ATVs are inherently unstable and there is a rise in the number of ATV rollovers and fatalities.

The use of helmet is certainly mandated but during a rollover, the injuries are to the neck, shoulder blades and spine due to the crushing force of the ATV when it lands on top of the rider.

The need for some form of Rollover protection for ATVs to be fitted by manufacturers have been pushed but it looks like ATV OEMs are resisting from factory fitting Roll over bars due to the risk of facing litigations from accident victims who have suffered as a result of lack of rollover protection.
for_cars1 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 02:03   #28883
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
Well, I doubt in this case, even if he had worn a helmet, whether it would have made any major difference.If the vehicle falls on you, nothing much will protect you.
Having said that, yes, it is plain stupidity not wearing protective gear while using these ATVs.
Aren't those things supposed to have roll bars, etc? I never saw a better illustration of why they should have! And seat belts. As well as helmets, etc.

As for the horse/donkey! That's really rather wonderful. Neither animal nor driver seem to care very much, and the donkey is plainly ready for a fight. Maybe it isn't the first time!
Old 5th July 2019, 08:28   #28884
BHPian

Quote:
Nothing to be amazed about. It is actually a video of a modern experiment to measure one unit of an antique (and less known) automotive term called Horse Brake Power (HBP)

Last edited by SDP : 5th July 2019 at 09:02. Reason: Removed video link from quote
srvm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 09:00   #28885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, the donkey had a narrow escape. Usually they have to be put down if any of the limbs get damaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
The person slammed the accelerator instead of the brakes.
Possible. But I wonder how the car came to a dead halt just after hitting the cart?
Old 5th July 2019, 09:13   #28886
BANNED

Quote:
A NRI lost his life while driving an ATV in a resort in the out skirts of Hyderabad yesterday.
Based on the video, it was an accident and clearly there was no dog involved as mentioned in the news article.

News article: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/70055932.cms
Obviously, not wearing safety gear is suicidal.
However, the reason that it toppled is because the guy applied brakes as soon as the buggy got airborne. This caused the front to come to a halt as soon as it touched ground, and the rear pendulum-med over. Of course, the high centre-of-gravity and short wheelbase contributed significantly to the physics involved.

Whoever rents it out should instruct the amateur riders to not brake suddenly. And insist on wearing safety gear.
venkyhere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 09:47   #28887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
But I wonder how the car came to a dead halt just after hitting the cart?
The engine will stall when it matches the almost 0 speed of the cart.
Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 10:11   #28888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
The horse and it's owner did an amazing job in controlling the cart after it was rammed from behind. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Nothing to be amazed about. It is actually a video of a modern experiment to measure one unit of an antique (and less known) automotive term called Horse Brake Power (HBP)
Horse? where is Horse?
It is Donkey and hence it should be DBP.

That donkey got a nice ride, though short lived
FORTified is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 11:14   #28889
BANNED

Quote:
A NRI lost his life while driving an ATV in a resort in the out skirts of Hyderabad yesterday.
Based on the video
This video brings out the danger of these machines. I think that he was trying to be airborne for an instant. That he was standing and leaning forward made the danger more imminent.

I always thought these open ATVs would be the best option to tackle our asphalted tracks.

Now after having seen this, I would never touch one again.
Old 7th July 2019, 13:07   #28890
BHPian

A Swift Dzire that was parked in it's porch in a house in Kochi, started on it's own, moved forward and caused a mishap, freaking out the people in the house, in the wee hours of Sunday. Thankfully, nobody was hurt. It is being speculated that a short circuit might have caused the mishap.

Linking the news article below. Apologies, because it is in Malayalam, couldn't find an english report for the same. Picture credits to the respective news channel.

The article says that the handbrake was engaged but was not of much help. The car is a diesel variant, as evident from the DDiS badging on the front fender, which means it should also have been a manual. Hence I wonder how it can move on it's own without manual intervention.

https://www.manoramanews.com/news/ke...I43o6KzFRCh5y8
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-caraccidentkochi.jpg  

Last edited by ram.iyer95 : 7th July 2019 at 13:16. Reason: Added picture credit
ram.iyer95 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks