Team-BHP - Accidents in India | Pics & Videos
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Accidents in India | Pics & Videos (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/109249-accidents-india-pics-videos-1926.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hickstead (Post 4615271)
An NRI lost his life while driving an ATV in a resort near to Hyderabad yesterday.

NRI, but he wasnt aware that he has to wear a helmet before he embarks on these machines. :Frustrati

Quote:

Based on the video, it was an accident and clearly there was no dog involved as mentioned in the news article.

I just wonder if these news sites, in their haste to be the first to report just have standard templates where motorcyle accidents are the result of avoiding dogs and highway car accidents are due to a burst tire. Its such a lazy piece of reporting. I doubt the reporter even bothered to watch the video! :Frustrati

the kind of things that happen in this country amazes me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckN6Sui5RxY

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerohit (Post 4615426)

Looks like a new driver. The person slammed the accelerator instead of the brakes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioholic (Post 4615273)
NRI, but he wasnt aware that he has to wear a helmet before he embarks on these machines. :Frustrati

Well, I doubt in this case, even if he had worn a helmet, whether it would have made any major difference.If the vehicle falls on you, nothing much will protect you.

Having said that, yes, it is plain stupidity not wearing protective gear while using these ATVs.

Quote:

The horse and it's owner did an amazing job in controlling the cart after it was rammed from behind. The horse got a good job pat too. Hopefully it didn't get too hurt in the process.
The look the horse gave the car after it landed was priceless.

Quote:

..lost his life while driving an ATV
Based on the video, ....

Quote:

Originally Posted by haria (Post 4615441)
...even if he had worn a helmet, ...If the vehicle falls on you, nothing much will protect you.

This video is quite an eye opener and shows how easily a quad-bike can tumble forward with dangerous consequences.

For starters, the rider wasn't going to fast or rash and it was quite a moderate hump that was steep enough to cause the quad-bike to flip over forwards and land on top of the rider unfortunately.

With a high centre of gravity, these ATVs are inherently unstable and there is a rise in the number of ATV rollovers and fatalities.

The use of helmet is certainly mandated but during a rollover, the injuries are to the neck, shoulder blades and spine due to the crushing force of the ATV when it lands on top of the rider.

The need for some form of Rollover protection for ATVs to be fitted by manufacturers have been pushed but it looks like ATV OEMs are resisting from factory fitting Roll over bars due to the risk of facing litigations from accident victims who have suffered as a result of lack of rollover protection.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by haria (Post 4615441)
Well, I doubt in this case, even if he had worn a helmet, whether it would have made any major difference.If the vehicle falls on you, nothing much will protect you.
Having said that, yes, it is plain stupidity not wearing protective gear while using these ATVs.

Aren't those things supposed to have roll bars, etc? I never saw a better illustration of why they should have! And seat belts. As well as helmets, etc.

As for the horse/donkey! That's really rather wonderful. Neither animal nor driver seem to care very much, and the donkey is plainly ready for a fight. Maybe it isn't the first time!

Quote:

Nothing to be amazed about. It is actually a video of a modern experiment to measure one unit of an antique (and less known) automotive term called Horse Brake Power (HBP) lol::uncontrol

Quote:

Wow, the donkey had a narrow escape. Usually they have to be put down if any of the limbs get damaged.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boniver (Post 4615429)
The person slammed the accelerator instead of the brakes.

Possible. But I wonder how the car came to a dead halt just after hitting the cart?

Quote:

A NRI lost his life while driving an ATV in a resort in the out skirts of Hyderabad yesterday.
Based on the video, it was an accident and clearly there was no dog involved as mentioned in the news article.

News article: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/70055932.cms

Obviously, not wearing safety gear is suicidal.
However, the reason that it toppled is because the guy applied brakes as soon as the buggy got airborne. This caused the front to come to a halt as soon as it touched ground, and the rear pendulum-med over. Of course, the high centre-of-gravity and short wheelbase contributed significantly to the physics involved.

Whoever rents it out should instruct the amateur riders to not brake suddenly. And insist on wearing safety gear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by self_driven (Post 4615539)
But I wonder how the car came to a dead halt just after hitting the cart?

The engine will stall when it matches the almost 0 speed of the cart.
Rahul

Quote:

Originally Posted by tharian (Post 4615448)
The horse and it's owner did an amazing job in controlling the cart after it was rammed from behind. .

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvm (Post 4615527)
Nothing to be amazed about. It is actually a video of a modern experiment to measure one unit of an antique (and less known) automotive term called Horse Brake Power (HBP) lol::uncontrol

Horse? where is Horse?
It is Donkey and hence it should be DBP.

That donkey got a nice ride, though short lived

Quote:

A NRI lost his life while driving an ATV in a resort in the out skirts of Hyderabad yesterday.
Based on the video

This video brings out the danger of these machines. I think that he was trying to be airborne for an instant. That he was standing and leaning forward made the danger more imminent.

I always thought these open ATVs would be the best option to tackle our asphalted tracks.

Now after having seen this, I would never touch one again.

A Swift Dzire that was parked in it's porch in a house in Kochi, started on it's own, moved forward and caused a mishap, freaking out the people in the house, in the wee hours of Sunday. Thankfully, nobody was hurt. It is being speculated that a short circuit might have caused the mishap.

Linking the news article below. Apologies, because it is in Malayalam, couldn't find an english report for the same. Picture credits to the respective news channel.

The article says that the handbrake was engaged but was not of much help. The car is a diesel variant, as evident from the DDiS badging on the front fender, which means it should also have been a manual. Hence I wonder how it can move on it's own without manual intervention.

https://www.manoramanews.com/news/ke...I43o6KzFRCh5y8