Team-BHP - Accidents in India | Pics & Videos
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Accidents in India | Pics & Videos (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/109249-accidents-india-pics-videos-1879.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g (Post 4567001)
The best practice is to look to your left and right, start if clear and immediately concentrate on your left as that's the portion you are going to cross later and judgement really matters.

That sounds like the way I had one of my accidents. I'm sure you didn't mean to, but you have left out stage one: crossing the traffic coming from the right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 4567060)
That sounds like the way I had one of my accidents. I'm sure you didn't mean to, but you have left out stage one: crossing the traffic coming from the right.

Did not miss out. I started with "Look left and right" and then start. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g (Post 4567061)
Did not miss out. I started with "Look left and right" and then start. :)

Sorry shubhodeepdas: my ability to read and understand has been called into question before, and rightly so. Thanks for correcting me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nimalan (Post 4565595)
Two people got badly injured in a bike collision in Kanyakumari, TamilNadu.

He’s way too fast and has assumed she will cross perhaps which is why he may have come to the middle. She’s just made a hash of the entire cross over manoeuver.

Ones a rash driver she’s a bad driver and both have shown bad judgment in the situation in my opinion.

This is why you need to slow down in these situations and anticipate multiple possibilities of what might happen as opposed to assuming where a vehicle will go.

A friend of mine was involved in an incident some days ago in Kerala.

He was exiting from a restaurant after breakfast where there were at least 3-4 trucks and cars parked on the left side of the road, just at the entrance/exit of the restaurant that had a fairly large parking lot. While he was exiting the restaurant, he got to a point where he stopped and could get a good look to the right before getting onto the highway. This highway does not have a service road though the road is separated by a median. Due to the vehicles parked just at and after the exit, he had to position himself a foot or two further than one would have had to to get onto the highway.

At this time, a guy on a motorcycle, riding on the wrong side of the road, at about 50-60 kmph and not wearing a helmet, hits the front right of the car. He gets thrown about 15 feet onto the middle of the road on his face. Luckily, he gets up on his own and comes cursing that the car did not see him coming and was in his way!!! He was very fortunate that it was just bruises and no broken bones etc (confirmed by scans etc) and there was no traffic, else he would have been a photograph on the wall by now.

His argument was, he and everyone else, ride on the wrong side of the road everyday and it is the responsibility of others to watch out for riders such as him. He and many around tried to argue that the car was travelling very fast and hit the motorcycle. The point here is, it was hardly 15 feet from the spot where the car was parked to the point of impact, and the crowd was unwilling to accept the speed that a car can get in that distance. It was after showing the dash-cam footage from the car behind that they shut up and the crowd disbursed. Unfortunately, I am restrained to upload that footage since the owner of the car prefers that it is not. The whole process but them back by over 2 hours including the time that the bumper that had to be tied up before it was certified to be OK to be driven about 500 Kms.

The bottom line, as careful as one can be, there are morons out there waiting to commit suicide and also create unexpected issues for others. Part of the trouble was caused by the haphazard parking of vehicles on the road side.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 4566999)
Turrrb0: thanks, I could not have put that better!

She was thrown in the direction of a building, and hit it head first.

(I am recalling the video from several days back).

Upon closer viewing of the clip frame by frame, I noticed that it looks like the bike has 2 people on it and neither of them seem to be wearing helmets! :Frustrati

Also a man on a cycle gets knocked down by the scooter while the poor lady is crashing head first into the building. I suppose that day was just not his day.

Unfortunately this is another one of those multiple, avoidable bad decisions leading to a mishap. Sad.

Accident involving a bus on the Yamuna Expressway, 8 killed and many others injured.
Quote:

"The bus was on its way to Noida from Agra. The incident took place under Rabupura police station limits around 5 am. The bus belongs to Auraiya depot. Eight people were killed and 20 injured in the incident," police said in a statement.
Source.

Quote:

That is as sad as it gets.

Personally, I'd put the entire blame on the guy. The lady seemed extremely watchful and cautious. Looks both ways. Moves ahead when presumably she thinks it's safe to do so.

The guy (moving too fast for the intersection) decides to continue fast enough and riskily close - A phenomenon we see everyday. This is how many pedestrians are put in danger too. What effort does it take to just stop and let the vehicles complete their maneuver of moving across? Tragically, our roads are packed to the gills with exactly such drivers/riders.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miyata (Post 4567386)
Personally, I'd put the entire blame on the guy. The lady seemed extremely watchful and cautious. Looks both ways. Moves ahead when presumably she thinks it's safe to do so.

On looking carefully it looks like there is a child standing on the footboard. Can others see it ?

I hope the child was not seriously injured.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaktisarangi (Post 4567398)
On looking carefully it looks like there is a child standing on the footboard. Can others see it ?

I hope the child was not seriously injured.

Looks like just some grocery bags to me. No child that I could spot.

Quote:

This is the classic instance of an inept motorcyclist raising the throttle to desperately try to cross before the one who is trying to cross the road. The only way to avoid these collisions is to expect the other road user to be as mad as oneself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 4565156)
It may sound hard, but even the bikers going the right way in your video all seem to be trying to have an accident. The guy on the right is looking for a non-existent gap even though he has his foot on the pavement! Those overtaking the coach on its left obviously fancy life with one leg.

But, nothing will happen. Of course. Until the day it does. And then it will be somebody else's fault.

Driving on the wrong side, in the face of traffic like that, even on a bike, is just insanity. I wish the police would start catcing and prosecuting wrong-siders, regardless of wheel numbers.

CHILL! as was mentioned that bridge is a one way bridge and has riders coming in the wrong side of the passage!

Quote:

Originally Posted by boohooper (Post 4567452)
CHILL! as was mentioned that bridge is a one way bridge and has riders coming in the wrong side of the passage!

Why should I chill on the face of madness? Except for my own peace of mind, of course: it has taken me over ten years to learn to let the stuff on the road go on around me but keep my blood cool.

Most of my reaction in that post was about the idiots going on the right direction!

:Frustrati

Came across something similar this few days back (but with fatal consequences) in Ganganagar, Rajasthan. A relative of someone I know, was going too fast, when the biker in front braked. The trailing guy,, unable to stop his bike in time, banged into him, was thrown over, directly into a large municipality bin.

Sadly, he wasn't wearing the helmet, couldn't survive the fatal injuries !

Quote:

Originally Posted by swissknife (Post 4567177)
A friend of mine was involved in an incident some days ago in Kerala.

Cannot underestimate the importance of dash cam, especially in India. Same reason I got one, its basic but all right.