Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2019, 10:27   #27736
BANNED

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkiran View Post
So many incidents where the cause is tyre burst. Could it be possible that the tyre burst after hitting the median at speed? At least in situations like these where the vehicle ended up upside down on the other side of the road, I think this is a more probable cause than losing control after a tyre blowout.
99% of the cases, its exactly how you mentioned - Driver error leads to vehicle swerving right - huge impact from the median at speed on the tyre - flexes the tyre beyond the usual amount, off it comes from the rim. When the police finds the vehicle in the opposite lane with rims bent/broken and a tyre thats come off - "tyre burst" is immediately written down as the cause of the accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
It's quite surprising to note as to how the 'A', 'B' and 'C' pillars of these cars crumple during such impacts. The other safety gizmos and features though working, stronger 'A', 'B' and 'C' pillars would ensure survival and or/ lesser injuries to the occupants.
Sadly, SAAB is out of business

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
however it is extremely dangerous to check and top up tyre pressure on heated tyres during the middle of a highway drive. Doing so significantly increases the risk of a tyre blowout.
seen so many do that, even cars with TBHP stickers.
venkyhere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2019, 21:04   #27737
BHPian

Saw this accident near Ananthpur on the way back to Bangalore. Apparently driver lost control and rammed into the railing twice before hitting the divider. Looks severe and the airbags have deployed. 5 people in the car and no one was seriously injured. The car bore the brunt of the collision pretty well. The driver was in shock and we helped attend injuries with the first aid kit from the car and stayed on till his relatives came.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20190119wa0004.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20190119wa0003.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20190119wa0005.jpg
nikhn is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 11:50   #27738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post

OT: the name Bunny Punia (the one who uploaded the video) seems familiar...
Bunny Punia is the Consulting Editor of Cartoq.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/bunnypunia

Last edited by virgopal : 20th January 2019 at 11:51. Reason: removed video and text
virgopal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 18:09   #27739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
Bunny Punia is the Consulting Editor of Cartoq.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/bunnypunia
Bunny Punia used to be one of the reviewers on Bike India. I think. I remember I used to read his columns in some bike mag.
Old 20th January 2019, 19:20   #27740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Bunny Punia used to be one of the reviewers on Bike India. I think. I remember I used to read his columns in some bike mag.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intro...tml#post111612 (Hi from CAR India,BIKE India and XBHP)

OT?: He is on tbhp
vinjosep is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 19:41   #27741
Senior - BHPian

Another accident from Kerala

ecenandu is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 20:26   #27742
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
The two wheeler has crossed like a complete idiot. More blame on him in my opinion.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th January 2019 at 20:58. Reason: Removing youtube URL from quoted post (repetition).
Axe77 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 20:27   #27743
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is another example which reaffirms my thought that its better to aim towards the tail of such a moving object instead of trying to outrun them.
audioholic is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 20:29   #27744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
This is another example which reaffirms my thought that its better to aim towards the tail of such a moving object instead of trying to outrun them.
That is my golden rule in karting, never thought about implementing that on road, though.
ecenandu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 20:32   #27745
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
The two wheeler has crossed like a complete idiot. More blame on him in my opinion.
Nopes. S/he did wait for the cars and bikes to pass looking at both ends. The blue car had been over speeding like hell, going over the slightly curved at such a high speed he wasn't able to control himself.
ninjatalli is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 20:49   #27746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
It was the better option. Either the car was going too fast on the curve to keep its line or the driver din't think so. The poor guy is going to be blamed anyways even if its not his fault because he is in the bigger vehicle.

I remember the driving school books in UAE telling your point of aiming for the tail especially if its a animal.
TSIboy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 20:51   #27747
BHPian

This is the visual of 2 policemen who were controlling traffic in an intersection in Guduvancheri, suburban Chennai getting hit by a government bus. Both of them are injured and admitted in hospital now. The bus driver was arrested. (This is the English transliteration of the Tamil news)

The bus driver seems to have been driving distracted. The policeman was wearing a high visibility vest.

Quote:
1. Bad road design with break in an otherwise double white centre line, allowing traffic to join/cross at a curve.
2. The car was overspeeding and couldn't stop/control in time.
3. The scooterist crosses in a legally allowed place, took his time to see that road is clear. But with common sense he should have known not to cross the road in a curve where visibility is restricted and vehicles can't slow as efficiently as in a straight road.

Last edited by navin : 21st January 2019 at 13:48.
Arwin07 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 23:12   #27748
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
1. 2. 3.
When apportioning blame for an accident, put the road, environment, etc, last, and the drivers first. The road isn/t going to change for the vehicles: the drivers must take account of the road.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 02:13   #27749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
When apportioning blame for an accident, put the road, environment, etc, last, and the drivers first. The road isn/t going to change for the vehicles: the drivers must take account of the road.
Agreed, if the driver maintained the speed limit probably he had fat chance of hard breaking and maybe a minor scrape with the scooter instead of what happened in the video.

That said, its high time we idiot proof our road design (as much as we can) and also make sure exit and entry to & from main road is done scientifically. It may not reduce accidents to 0 but will be significant.
sunishsamuel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 02:48   #27750
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
That said, its high time we idiot proof our road design (as much as we can)
Oh so true! And this thread shows us every day.

Trouble is, the better the roads are made, the faster and more dangerous the driving gets.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks