Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2018, 10:44   #27271
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Here's the image of the said Ertiga involved in the accident near Ooty:
Source: The Hindu
What's more tragic is that the 2 injured survivors were stuck with the crushed corpses of their friends for hours in rather cold nilgiris climate. :(
Old 4th October 2018, 11:27   #27272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
2. Ford cars with Sync have an 'Emergency assistance' feature which calls 108 automatically if the car is involved in an accident severe enough for either fuel pump to be cut off or airbags were deployed. It also provides GPS coordinates of the car to 108 dispatchers. This feature would have been useful in this incident.
It is indeed a nice feature to have. Does it however work where there is no network coverage? I read in Malayalam newspaper that the area where the Ertiga fell did not have mobile coverage.

EDIT:
It needs mobile coverage as per Ford Australia
https://www.ford.com.au/technology/e...cy-assistance/

They seem to have omitted this part in the India website.
https://www.india.ford.com/emergency-assistance/

Last edited by basilmabraham : 4th October 2018 at 11:30. Reason: Added content
basilmabraham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 13:25   #27273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
A very tragic accident, not much details available though.

https://www.ndtv.com/tamil-nadu-news...ome-topstories
I believe only Nilgiris registered (TN-43 - which automatically elevates them to the status of expert and safe drivers, by virtue of driving a car registered in the hills ) are allowed downhill on this road while all vehicles are allowed upwards.

Cops are figuring out how a TN-69 vehicle was allowed downhill.
SCORPION is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 15:02   #27274
Senior - BHPian

So how do the other vehicles come down the Nilgiris?
Old 4th October 2018, 15:31   #27275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
So how do the other vehicles come down the Nilgiris?
This road is a short cut to Mudumalai, Bandipur and then on to Mysore/Bangalore etc. Saves about 30 odd kms. But very steep, narrow and has 36 hairpin bends. The usual road is via Gudalur which is longer and takes much more time. These two roads are access to Ooty from the North.

The other road towards Ooty is via Mettupalayam connecting you to Coimbatore, Bangalore, Chennai etc. This is the most frequented road, going up to Ooty from the South- East.
SCORPION is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 16:03   #27276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
I believe only Nilgiris registered are allowed downhill on this road while all vehicles are allowed upwards.
We have done this on KA registered car. But that's a while back. Any idea when and why this rule was introduced?
Old 4th October 2018, 16:13   #27277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I believe only Nilgiris registered [...] are allowed downhill on this road while all vehicles are allowed upwards.
That is not true, at least till last year. I have driven up and down both ways (via Masinagudi and via Gudalur) from Mysore to Ooty and back. Both routes are open to all vehicles. The restriction usually is a general purpose one-way when traffic goes up.

Quote:
These two roads are access to Ooty from the North.

The other road towards Ooty is via Mettupalayam connecting you to Coimbatore, Bangalore, Chennai etc.
There are two roads between Ooty and Coimbatore via Mettupalayam as well - via Coonoor and via Kotagiri.
binand is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 16:56   #27278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Any idea when and why this rule was introduced?
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
That is not true, at least till last year.
I too have driven up and down this road several times in my MH, KL and TN37 registered cars. @Binand, you may still try and give us first hand information if you had to go round via Gudalur or if they let you through.

This is a recent development as a result of several accidents on that stretch. Apparently, loads of novice hill drivers from Bangalore and Mysore drive recklessly on that road causing accidents especially while driving downhill. Hence the cops, by virtue of their infinite wisdom, have decided that only TN43 drivers are proficient enough to drive downhill via Kalhatty. It is indeed a dangerous road, no doubt, and best handled by experienced drivers.

Quote:
There are two roads between Ooty and Coimbatore via Mettupalayam as well - via Coonoor and via Kotagiri.
Yes, you are right. I am a regular on the Kotagiri road, and its one of the best drivers roads in these parts of India.
Old 4th October 2018, 17:05   #27279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is a recent development as a result of several accidents on that stretch. [...] Hence the cops, by virtue of their infinite wisdom, have decided that only TN43 drivers are proficient enough to drive downhill via Kalhatty.
Came across this:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/66061790.cms

Quote:
Also, in the past year, only Nilgiris-registered vehicles are permitted on the Ooty-Kalhatty ghat road going downhill, given the tricky navigation. However, there is no restriction on uphill traffic from Masinagudi to Ooty.
So you are right, and I stand corrected. This happened in the last year so must have been after our family holiday to Masinagudi/Ooty.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 17:26   #27280
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is a recent development as a result of several accidents on that stretch. Apparently, loads of novice hill drivers from Bangalore and Mysore drive recklessly on that road causing accidents especially while driving downhill. Hence the cops, by virtue of their infinite wisdom, have decided that only TN43 drivers are proficient enough to drive downhill via Kalhatty. It is indeed a dangerous road, no doubt, and best handled by experienced drivers.
I think it is more to restrict traffic on the road while allowing local traffic to ply. Perhaps, if you have some proof of residence, you might be allowed. Other option is to get a letter from the Collector.

However, this only happens during peak tourist season/morning traffic. We once went down this road from Ooty to Masinagudi for lunch in 3 KA cars and faced no problem. Also did the same route during the Renault Fluence/Koleos drive
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 21:19   #27281
Distinguished - BHPian

July 2017 was the last time I drove there in my KA registered car. Two of our familes were staying in a Masinagudi resort. We went to Ooty because the wives wanted to buy some chocolates and we just wanted to drive. While getting down, Police stopped us for sure but when we told where we were staying, they let us go. Although this blanket rule is absurd, from their perspective, that's the easiest if not the best thing that they can do I feel. Some tourists just don't understand driving on the hills is different to driving on plains.
hemanth.anand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 23:26   #27282
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Some tourists just don't understand driving on the hills is different to driving on plains.
I would supplement this statement by saying 'some tourists just dont understand driving on national/state highways is different to driving on their office commute within the city'.

The number of cars (hatchbacks/sedans/SUV, all types) on the highways on saturday morning and sunday evening who have total disregard for other regular highway vehicles like trucks/buses/minivans etc, is just too much. Many of them, stuffed with more people that its capacity (incl kids) and packed to the brim with luggage (no irvm use and folded orvms) and driving zig-zag between trucks, without awareness that big vehicles have a huge blindspot. They squeeze into any gap they see (office commute habits) on the highways, at 100+ speeds, just for their ego to feel pumped up "yeah yeah, I am an expert driver" and brag in office on monday about how they covered some 200km in 2 hours flat
venkyhere is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 07:21   #27283
Senior - BHPian

Pics: Accidents in India

The last time I drove down the Kallatti ghat, I saw atleast 5 cars experiencing brake fade due to overheating brakes. This could also be causing accidents.

People just do not use engine braking while driving downhill. It happened to my friend's car as well. I had warned him to use the engine to brake but half way down he was without brakes on his Swift.

As soon as you get off the ghat on the Masinagudi road, there is a mechanic and I was amused to find around 6 cars there complaining of brake issues.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 5th October 2018 at 07:24.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 09:11   #27284
BHPian

The rule about not allowing non TN-43 vehicles down the Kalhatty road is a soft one and is enforced based on circumstances like whether there was in incident in the recent past, tourist season etc.
There have been several occasions where I have done the downhill stretch without anyone stopping me (KA car) and there have been several occasions where I have not been allowed to pass through until i convince the policeman that I grew up in Ooty and have a drivers license from Ooty RTO.
bharat4ever is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 10:13   #27285
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
I have not been allowed to pass through until i convince the policeman that I grew up in Ooty and have a drivers license from Ooty RTO.
^ this - my brother and I have done the same, a Nilgiris-issued driving license helps on this occasion, again subject to the policeman's situation (e.g. is there a senior down the road who might grill him?).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks