Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2018, 12:20   #26881
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
How have you deduced that this accident was caused by speeding?
No clue because the accident had already happened by the time I passed but when I drive back home after dropping my kid, I see how these school buses are driven on this entire Doddaballapur road stretch (some other day, some other video will help).

Quote:
The way I see it, there are lot of people and buses who break the signal at that NES junction which you are talking about. Could that not also be a cause for an accident?
The spot of the accident was not NES Signal but the intersection (No traffic light) where you turn left for Seshadripuram College when on Doddaballapur road and this is where all BMTC buses enter and exit for/From Yelahanka New Town.
Old 3rd August 2018, 12:25   #26882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
The probity expected from people in power or riches in the civilised world is much more than a normal citizen as they are considered role models.
For example: http://theweek.com/articles/454370/b...fjailfree-card

Quote:
WhatApp banned message forwards in response to the recent lynch killings but the government is nowhere to be seen.
Actually, from what I understand WhatsApp did all that because our government arm-twisted them.

https://indianexpress.com/article/in...sages-5244449/
Old 3rd August 2018, 15:44   #26883
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
How have you deduced that this accident was caused by speeding?
So it was the School Bus and a BMTC bus involved in this accident. Both the vehicles are now resting at NES Singal/Police station as I noticed now.

The bus for sure was heading out of YNK and joining Doddaballapura Road while the school van was heading towards Doddaballapura.

If not any solid evidence or shooting in dark theories, I can visualise how this would have happened. Bus wanting to show its might and expecting all traffic to stop, emerging out mercilessly out onto the main road, while the school van trying is best not to slow down as it happens always on the whole stretch here.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2018, 16:10   #26884
BHPian

Disclaimer: This is all hearsay. So take it with a pinch of salt.

Regarding the Coimbatore Audi accident that killed 6 people, I'm from Coimbatore and the version I've heard from people here is that this guy was late to pick up his boss. He had already been yelled at and he was speeding to make up for the delay. He lost control probably trying to avoid a pothole or another vehicle (both are highly probable on that road) and went ploughing into the crowd. Another version is that he received an angry phone call from his boss again and he was trying to attend the phone. Drunken driving story is probably being put out to save his boss and his organization from embarrassment. No driver in Coimbatore working for a reasonably sized organization like the one involved in this incident would go drinking at 10AM in the morning. That will put his career on the fast track to death as this is not such a big city and word gets around pretty fast.
green_ninja is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2018, 16:38   #26885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
This case furthers my point than yours. The link you have shared does not have full facts of the case. For more elaborate reading please go through this

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.a34a0b76942f

and this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethan_Couch

Also, you seems to have missed the most important details. The incident happened when he was 16 which means he was tried as a juvinile and therefore treated leniently "as per the law".
Old 3rd August 2018, 19:02   #26886
BHPian

A speeding car rammed into a tempo that had stopped in the overtaking lane on National Highway 8 in Gujarat’s Bharuch on 2 August. One person was injured in the collision. CCTV footage shows that a tempo had stopped in the middle of the right lane on the highway after some of its cargo fell off onto the road. A speeding white car then rammed into the parked tempo as it tried to overtake a truck.

Link : https://www.thequint.com/videos/news...gh-speed-crash
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-safe_image.jpg  

sparky@home is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2018, 19:28   #26887
BHPian

Date : 03-AUG-2018
Time : 1549 hours (approx.)
Description: My wife was returning home after her work and on the way this accident happened when a biker tried crossing to other lane without judging whats in front. Luckily his stars were good and he survived.

Please ignore the date as its not set properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Fast roads cause accidents:

Recently, they have relaid the entire stretch and got rid of the pedestrian friendly speedbreakers and instead have placed bumblers at each intersection; Something that most of down don't really slow down for. But at the same time, rush hours is when I notice too many risk taking drivers trying to cross each of intersections at quite a good speed.
@Parag, you are very much correct as I face this on daily basis. I stay in Ramky near BMSIT College and these rumbler strips on Dodaballapur road does not serve the purpose of slowing down vehicles. Majority of vehicles take on these rumbler strips with fast speed and chances of an accidents at junction is pretty high as compared to earlier speed breakers.

Last edited by aah78 : 3rd August 2018 at 23:44. Reason: Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+/MULTI-QUOTE when responding to mulitple posts. Thanks!
aeroamit is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2018, 20:41   #26888
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroamit View Post
Damn! The biker was indeed lucky and should I also say you too were exceptionally lucky too for the biker didn't come right under your wheels and you braked well in time on the fast lane and ensured no one rear ended you too!

These accidents on flyovers are the scariest in terms of everything.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2018, 21:55   #26889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajoshi View Post
Here is what the news article says:
Further updates from news reports on websites and a YouTube video of the lone survivor show it wasn't driver distraction. The survivor claimed it was some debris from roadside digging work that caused the bus to skid and fall.

Also to add an interesting twist to the incident, I have received a WhatsApp forward which purportedly is a complaint made by one of the friends of the deceased to investigate the accident and find out if the lone survivor was driving the bus at the time of the accident.

The complaint does throw up some interesting observations. Biggest amongst them all is where the bus had a straight fall several hundred feet in the valley and all the bodies recovered were mangled beyond recognition, how did the lone survivor not have a single scratch on him? The survivor was reportedly thrown out of the bus as it fell, and hung onto the branches of a tree. Where rescuers could not climb down the valley without the necessary gear like ropes, how did this man climb several feet out, over the soft earth on the side of the cliff, unscathed?
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20180803wa0029.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20180803wa0030.jpg  

honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2018, 07:38   #26890
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
This happened today.
Shocking but not unbelievable. The driver was found intoxicated and this happened while overtaking a BMTC Bus!

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20180804-07.37.01.jpg

Source: Today's Deccan Herald

Last edited by paragsachania : 4th August 2018 at 07:48.
Old 4th August 2018, 07:57   #26891
BHPian

Why would a train hit a car unless the car isn't where it is supposed to be? I wouldn't be surprised if the news may be termed as "Speeding train hits car: 2 dead, 2 injured". I find it hard to believe that one can't see/hear a train in the vicinity of a crossing. How could one play chicken with a train? Even if the car is stuck on the track, can't people get out of it, in say, 15 seconds?

This is not the first time we have seen such. I wonder when it would stop.

Source: https://www.deccanchronicle.com/nati...innasalem.html

Mod Note : No uploading scans of copyrighted print material please.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd September 2018 at 17:00.
swissknife is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th August 2018, 08:22   #26892
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Why would a train hit a car unless the car isn't where it is supposed to be? I wouldn't be surprised if the news may be termed as "Speeding train hits car: 2 dead, 2 injured". I find it hard to believe that one can't see/hear a train in the vicinity of a crossing. How could one play chicken with a train? This is not the first time we have seen such. I wonder when it would stop.
Most drivers in India drive not with their two feet and two hands but with the tentacles of ego-machismo-I am invulnerable-it is for others to watch out-look how I drive like a lion-to stop for another is an insult to my ego and so on. Some of this is sub-conscious but some of it is not. The headlines we get in our newspapers is a function of the limited thinking and copy drone like habits of our journalists. It is always the larger vehicle at fault. I am now waiting for the headline - 'speeding aircraft, while taking off, hits car on runway'. For those of us who have dealt extensively with journalists would know how pliable they are on one hand and how desperate to get a few centimeter columns in the paper for which they jostle for space with their competing peers in the same organization.
V.Narayan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th August 2018, 09:39   #26893
BHPian

Quote:
Why would a train hit a car unless the car isn't where it is supposed to be? I wouldn't be surprised if the news may be termed as "Speeding train hits car: 2 dead, 2 injured". I find it hard to believe that one can't see/hear a train in the vicinity of a crossing. How could one play chicken with a train? Even if the car is stuck on the track, can't people get out of it, in say, 15 seconds?

This is not the first time we have seen such. I wonder when it would stop.
. Words fail me. May be he tried his luck and the car stalled for some reason. He saw the train approaching, panicked and couldn't start again. The others kept looking at the driver hoping for a miracle till the last second so they could get to their destination 5 minutes faster.

It was not their fault. The train driver should have seen the car and screeched to a halt or at least jumped the train over the car. How can he not stop for a car on the track? How dare he!
SCORPION is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2018, 10:26   #26894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
A speeding car rammed into a tempo that had stopped in the overtaking lane on National Highway 8 in Gujarat’s Bharuch...
Most don't have any idea of how much distance their car takes to come to a dead stop or how much power in which gear to overtake. Then there is the main culprit Tempo which should not be there sitting on the right lane at a left bend. The truck would have created just the right amount of blind spot for the car to collide.

Stepping back, even if the tempo stopped on the left lane and whatever it had dropped off was still left on the right lane, the car would have met a similar fate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroamit View Post
Time : 1549 hours (approx.)
Description: My wife was returning home after her work and on the way this accident happened when a biker tried crossing to other lane without...
They usually do. If he came under your car and there was no Dashcam, you could be at the receiving end of a "Speeding Car Theory". Good defensive driving by the driver of all three cars. The biker almost forced the white cab into the truck as well.

Quote:
Why would a train hit a car unless the car isn't where it is supposed to be? I wouldn't be surprised if the news may be termed as "Speeding train hits...
It's the same when people jump into crocodile infested waters, get killed and then blame the crocodile. I am guessing "Gate Mitra" is something that blinks when a train is approaching, and yet. This is a simple case of arrogance gone horribly wrong.

During my early days of driving I had managed to stall my car on the tracks of a gated crossing. There were no trains coming and yet the stress built up was good enough to remember it for a lifetime.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2018, 12:29   #26895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This case furthers my point than yours. The link you have shared does not have full facts of the case. For more elaborate reading please go through this

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.a34a0b76942f

and this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethan_Couch

Also, you seems to have missed the most important details. The incident happened when he was 16 which means he was tried as a juvinile and therefore treated leniently "as per the law".
I think the thread has moved on, so let us stop this here. But I'll say this: Most US states have laws that require juveniles to be tried in adult court for certain types of crimes (people dying is usually among that list).

Second, I'm not sure why you felt Ethan Couch escaping punishment asserts your point than mine. But that was just one example. We also have OJ Simpson, Kobe Bryant, Michael Jackson, Robert Blake etc. to look at. There is the particularly heinous one of Robert Richards, heir of the DuPont family, being convicted of raping his own 3-year old daughter and getting away with a $5000 fine (he was worth $15 billion at the time, iirc).
binand is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks