Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2017, 12:10   #24721
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
That said, so much damage at 10-15 kmph? Seriously? I don't think so.
I was astonished just like you. Even the owner did not believe that such a big dent was caused by the SUMO which was also a part of their convoy.
You can see the TATA-SUMO parked in the pic.

Last edited by redcruiser : 26th September 2017 at 12:14. Reason: addition
Old 26th September 2017, 12:56   #24722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto$apien View Post
I don't get a good feeling when I see the new range Suzukis in this shape.
Most people buying these cars are concerned about 3 things:
  1. How fast does it go?
  2. How efficient is it? Buying cost Vs Fuel Cost
  3. How many it can carry? Not Seating capacity but literally how many can fit in

And anyone can see that all 3 conditions cannot be fulfilled at the same time at all times. Net result is a vehicle that is underpowered, tall and large carrying 5+ people in it at a speed from which it cannot stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
In any case, we are talking about an immediate measure to control such deaths.
A bike accident at 170 kph in the night is equivalent to someone jumping off of a terrace of a building. Fast bikes are Fine Machines that are to be enjoyed responsibly, largely dependent on the person driving. Same with cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
You can see the TATA-SUMO parked in the pic.
A car built in the 90s copying a few built a decade before that, with zero crumple zones meets a car designed for modern times with crumple zones at both front and back with better braking distances. To top it all, the Sumo would probably have had a bull bar as standard fitment to kill and maim anyone it's path for good measure, somewhat like that chariot from 'Bahubali'.

Have been seeing this one car recently added to the Kanakapura Road Exit from Tumkur road side. Looks like it landed on it's roof or went sideways and hit a lorry.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_4575.jpg  

Last edited by shubhodeepdas@g : 26th September 2017 at 13:07. Reason: Anticipated Clarification
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 22:48   #24723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
That is a more practical solution.
We still follow the age old system when 350cc bullet was the highest capacity machine available in the country.
Today we have litre-class bikes in plenty and still the same licensing system is followed wherein you can ride a Platina and Hayabusa with the same license.
You already have the answer.
Age old system

You cannot have the change overnight it will need a generation or at the least another 40 years IF THE LICENSING SYSTEM IS CHANGED.
This is unlike Demonetization which could be done overnight.

reason being: the existing road users already have a driving / riding license so bad riders will be driving alongside the good ones. Gradually nature will consume the present ones to give rise to the future sane road users.
This will still be kind of science fiction
Jr Godzilla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 03:06   #24724
BHPian

There will be no future sane users as long as there are still insane examples sharing the same road with them. I feel the only real way to effect any change is large scale police reform, including a multi tier licence system.

In other countries, one can have a licence to drive and ride at 16. But to be able to ride or drive vehicles fast, alone, on the highway requires at about four more years and incremental licences and tests.

What can be done for existing licence holders is convert their licences to a full intermediate licence and a top tier (High Risk Vehicles) learners licence. If one needs to get a full top tier licence, let them give the test in the usual 6 months. Or Else it will expire. No one needs to be denied the ability to drive any vehicle they already have.

Easy enough to say though.
braindead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 05:42   #24725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
There will be no future sane users as long as there are still insane examples sharing the same road with them. I feel the only real way to effect any change is large scale police reform, including a multi tier licence system.

In other countries, one can have a licence to drive and ride at 16. But to be able to ride or drive vehicles fast, alone, on the highway requires at about four more years and incremental licences and tests.

What can be done for existing licence holders is convert their licences to a full intermediate licence and a top tier (High Risk Vehicles) learners licence. If one needs to get a full top tier licence, let them give the test in the usual 6 months. Or Else it will expire. No one needs to be denied the ability to drive any vehicle they already have.

Easy enough to say though.
We all know this will NEVER be possible in a country where even before the Helmet law could be passed the petitions derailed the process.
When personal safety has no relevance, new traffic rules and enforcement for the benefit of all will be the joke of the day.
Old 27th September 2017, 07:32   #24726
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post
We all know this will NEVER be possible in a country where even before the Helmet law could be passed the petitions derailed the process.
When personal safety has no relevance, new traffic rules and enforcement for the benefit of all will be the joke of the day.
Where there is a will, there is a way.
Look at demonetisation, look at GST, look at the decision to go all electric by 2030.

If the powers that be decide, the reforms can happen, sometimes even overnight.

The only question is when these powers will become serious about road safety.
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 15:34   #24727
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post
There is only one way to learn, and that is to uniformly and consistently enforce the law, and continue to do it.

Would you believe that restrictions on alcohol and driving, and compulsory seat belts, were both greeted by the British public as terrible infringements on their liberty! Yes, they were. But the laws were made, and have been consistently enforced, with serious penalties (especially for the first) for decades now, and the vast majority, even those who still disagree, silently comply.

Speed cameras, in UK, are still very controversial, and I would not disagree that they are sometimes just revenue generators for the local authorities. But at this stage in Indian driving development, speed and red-light-violation cameras are just what we need. With actually enforced fines that are big enough to hurt. And hey, they do earn money!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 19:44   #24728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moun10 View Post
Youth dies in car crash in Mohali (A case of high-speed driving and possibly high beams)

http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/cha...ay/470576.html

Saw the mangled remains of the car myself while on way to my office the next morning. The front side of the car was totaled. No way anyone could have survived the crash.
The truck has steel beam running through the front side of the truck and the car collided straight head-on.

By the looks of the accident, it seems that the car was coming at a high speed and the truck had high beams on. The driver might have been blinded by the oncoming lights and could not judge the curve, jumped the median and banged straight into the truck.

A lot of accidents happen at this curve in the winters and at night when commuters are unable to judge the curve due to fog or blinded high beams. People have removed railings at the junction where the car jumped the median so that they can take an illegal turn. The high speed of the car was another factor which played against the victim.
I'm a frequent traveler on this section as well. As your map correctly indicates (and since I'm from the Sikh religion, let me take the liberty to say so), letting that Gurudwara stay in its place and then make a major 6 lane ring road circumvent it, is stupidity of enormous proportions. Someone with authority and a zeal to get things right could have easily resolved this matter. You might have also noticed a 'mazaar' as soon as we take a right from the next traffic lights. Smack in the middle of the road!

Combine all this with the foggy conditions, only God knows how many lives will be lost in future

Last edited by avisidhu : 27th September 2017 at 19:45.
Old 27th September 2017, 19:55   #24729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
letting that Gurudwara stay in its place and then make a major 6 lane ring road circumvent it, is stupidity of enormous proportions. Someone with authority and a zeal to get things right could have easily resolved this matter. You might have also noticed a 'mazaar' as soon as we take a right from the next traffic lights. Smack in the middle of the road!
Some months ago I heard of some sort of committee which had many members working on correcting faulty road construction and signals, walkways etc. They are really built in extremely haphazard ways in so many places.

There seems to be no common sense and/or proper guidlines in order to build roads in our country. I'm sure if at all there are certain pointers, they are decades old. No one cares. There's zero 'Vikas' in the way our roads are built to put it rightly. Mods, this is strictly not political. I'm using a nowadays 'famous' word though, if I may.
Old 27th September 2017, 21:47   #24730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
There is only one way to learn, and that is to uniformly and consistently enforce the law, and continue to do it.
Absolutely agree on this.

The recent rule in force now on use of mobile phones when driving in UK.
Before the rule was enforced road users were given about 6 weeks to get themselves well aware of the fine, prosecution and penalty points if caught.
During these 6 weeks I remember one of my office colleague being stopped by an officer, let off with a caution after letting him know what the consequences would be in a few days from then.

There were road hoardings, FM radio slots at peak travel hours, Cable TV, (emails and SMS broadcast to all license holders), informing of the Fine.

Penalties
You can get 6 penalty points and a £200 fine if you use a hand-held phone.
You can also be taken to court where you can:
be banned from driving or riding
get a maximum fine of £1,000 (£2,500 if you’re driving a lorry or bus)
If you passed your driving test in the last 2 years, you’ll lose your licence.

We stand up for so many issues, morchas etc.

It is time we should voice and get the authorities to take some steps to improve the licensing, enforcement with no bail, and so many other pointers if we need to see some change, and save the youth and road users.

I don't know how to go about or maybe I'm overreacting and
Jr Godzilla is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 23:25   #24731
Senior - BHPian

Saw this truck while on my way to Goa on Karnataka SH-34.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc1.jpg  

Old 28th September 2017, 08:06   #24732
Senior - BHPian

Drove past an accident site yesterday on the way back from pondicherry to Vellore. Not sure what happened and if anyone was injured.
Posting a video and a screenshot

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20170928080440126.jpeg
Old 28th September 2017, 09:32   #24733
BHPian

Looks like he hit the divider which comes in the video at 0.07. Since there are no other vehicles in a similar state, this is what I gather.

Last edited by Aditya : 29th September 2017 at 08:04. Reason: Edited as requested.
Old 28th September 2017, 10:22   #24734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Looks like he hit the divider which comes in the video at 0.07. Since there are no other vehicles in a similar state, this what I gather.
At the end of the video, one can see another car behind a tree. Would that car have been involved as well?

Last edited by aah78 : 28th September 2017 at 19:09. Reason: Quoted post was edited.
Old 28th September 2017, 16:50   #24735
Senior - BHPian

Seems too far from he divider (unless it was pushed to clear the road). I didn't notice the car behind the tree.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks