Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2017, 18:19   #24511
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Exactly, but there are people who swear by the safety features in their car and that's all that matters to them. "The Others" don't matter. Just like you mentioned, in my post, that Maruti Alto driver who got killed could've been the defensive driver. :(
No sane person is going to deliberately hit someone just to prove that their car is safer than the other. Off course if someone buys a car looking at safety feature they are going to swear by it. That doesnt mean that they are going to hit someone on the road or they are going to drive carelessly.

I didnt get the maruti alto part, i have not mentioned anything about that in my post.
Rahulkool is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2017, 18:35   #24512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNY View Post
In my opinion i think the Creta was slowly merging into the right lane and it didn't swerve into the right lane rapidly. From the looks of it the Maruti driver had a very clear view that the Creta was moving towards the right so he should have braked much before and should have not gone ahead with the overtaking as there was no response from Creta to the honks. Moreover looks like the Maruti driver panicked not sure if the Creta actually touched the Maruti or not
Yup, exactly; As I said in my previous post,

Quote:
Originally Posted by themonster View Post
Coming to the above accident; I do not want to judge whether they (the boys in the Maruti 800) were going fast and rash or not, but ideally, they should have braked and let the Creta driver go.
I saw the video again, and it looks like the driver of the Maruti did panic after hitting the divider and tried over correcting his steering inputs.
Old 2nd September 2017, 18:42   #24513
BHPian

Landslide at Shimla-Chandigah highway got captured in video.
Vehicles got buried under debris.
No news of fatalities.

Here is the video:

https://twitter.com/ANI/status/90391...2F60338610.cms
tbppjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2017, 19:08   #24514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
No sane person is going to deliberately hit someone just to prove that their car is safer than the other. Off course if someone buys a car looking at safety feature they are going to swear by it. That doesnt mean that they are going to hit someone on the road or they are going to drive carelessly.

I didnt get the maruti alto part, i have not mentioned anything about that in my post.
Maruti Alto is what i said as an example (...and so is the "school children" part) in my post. Nobody is going to hit another deliberately. But there are people who go by "I have all the safety features. I'm invincible." who push their vehicles to the limit. What they forget (not deliberately) is the fact that all those safety features and crumpling zones are for the occupants and only the occupants. He can still cause irreparable damage to others outside his safety zone. So, let's not get rash on the roads just because "we" are safe.

Peace.
Torqy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2017, 00:06   #24515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Absolutely. Let the nest rest where it is .

I can vouch for the Build of these Europeans and have seen the worst of accidents where the driver comes out unscathed!

But since there is a mention of 150 KMPH, I made a point to say there will be specific discussions around that. In reality we all know what happens at 150 KMPH!
Well, the owner shared his selfies over a WA group after the incident. And he has quoted that he was doing 160 kmph, when he lost control.

150/160 kmph into a wall, yes, we all know what happens.

In this case, he probably hit the lorry, then jumped over the divider, rolled over and hit few trees I believe. We should be knowing that the speed decreases from the first impact, and also by the driver's insticts to brake.

It takes quite some velocity to displace axles and the engine like that. I myself am a survivor of a rollover incident at 90kmph, in my Punto, damages were 4 damaged panels, a tie rod, strut, a window glass, windscreen and wheel.

Last edited by DRIV3R : 3rd September 2017 at 00:08.
DRIV3R is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2017, 08:13   #24516
BHPian

What could be more ironic - A group of farmers visiting an accident victim in Bangalore hospital, end up becoming victim to another road accident themselves. People don't want to learn from others' mistakes-

Father, son among 3 killed in KIA road crash -
http://toi.in/XBt2lZ11/a20ai
Acharya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2017, 08:31   #24517
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyman View Post
Would like to know opinion of fellow BHPians.
Absolutely, I'm not brake-shy at all and its one of the first things I learnt to do. Majority of the drivers are used to softly pressing the brakes and rolling to a cool, casual halt.. they assume that this is all the brakes are capable of doing. What they also need to know is panic braking.. being prepared for the G-forces and simply burying the foot into the pedal and if necessary release, re-maneuver and stomp the pedal again. This may not be needed everyday and if one does do it everyday then it means that he/she is driving extremely rashly.

However when implemented during an emergency when another driver is proving to be a threat in your path then its truly a wonderful skill. Simply go all out and stomp.. at the very least it reduces the speeds and thus the impact as well. Cabbies are worst in doing this, I've been amazed at their near-amateurish driving skills.. they press the accelerator like its an F1 track but the brakes? No.

Engine-braking, instinctual-braking and panic braking are vital aspects of driving and handling. The skills get honed when you realize that the brakes, pedals and steering work together and function as one unit.. without those skills corner-carving at 80 kph and even driving within narrow city roads at under 20 kph? Forget it.
dark.knight is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2017, 08:41   #24518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Absolutely, I'm not brake-shy at all and its one of the first things I learnt to do. Majority of the drivers are used to softly pressing the brakes and rolling to a cool, casual halt.. they assume that this is all the brakes are capable of doing. What they also need to know is panic braking.. being prepared for the G-forces and simply burying the foot into the pedal and if necessary release, re-maneuver and stomp the pedal again. This may not be needed everyday and if one does do it everyday then it means that he/she is driving extremely rashly.

However when implemented during an emergency when another driver is proving to be a threat in your path then its truly a wonderful skill. Simply go all out and stomp.. at the very least it reduces the speeds and thus the impact as well. Cabbies are worst in doing this, I've been amazed at their near-amateurish driving skills.. they press the accelerator like its an F1 track but the brakes? No.

Engine-braking, instinctual-braking and panic braking are vital aspects of driving and handling. The skills get honed when you realize that the brakes, pedals and steering work together and function as one unit.. without those skills corner-carving at 80 kph and even driving within narrow city roads at under 20 kph? Forget it.
Every word you have written is exactly what I wanted to say. You expressed it much better than me. Thanks.

Yes I have been with drivers whose braking skills have perplexed me. Engine braking is much more scarce than emergency braking in these drivers.
chevyman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2017, 09:57   #24519
BHPian

@chevyman Spot on. I fully agree with you. One thing is that these skills are aspects which improve with the time.
sparky@home is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2017, 14:19   #24520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
What could be more ironic - A group of farmers visiting an accident victim in Bangalore hospital, end up becoming victim to another road accident themselves. People don't want to learn from others' mistakes-

Father, son among 3 killed in KIA road crash -
http://toi.in/XBt2lZ11/a20ai
Thanks for sharing.

Can anyone tell where the accident location is exactly? Is it before the final toll gate leading to the express way towards Hebbal? Some where around Cafe Coffee Day that's located on the left (while entering Bangalore)?
Old 3rd September 2017, 15:55   #24521
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyman View Post
Thanks for sharing.

Can anyone tell where the accident location is exactly? Is it before the final toll gate leading to the express way towards Hebbal? Some where around Cafe Coffee Day that's located on the left (while entering Bangalore)?
http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...le19605147.ece

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-02bgserialaccident.jpeg

I dont know the exact spot but I saw these vehicles shifted to the area of the flyover under construction in front of A2B. As per the news report, the accident was due to Scorpio tire burst.

Last edited by androdev : 3rd September 2017 at 16:18.
androdev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2017, 20:45   #24522
BHPian

I just saw in a Tamil news channel about an accident in Chennai - Bengaluru highway near Krishnagiri where 2 speeding cars apparently swiped each other and plowed into local traffic and people waiting for bus killing four.

The mob got agitated and burnt the cars involved in the accident (and few others) and blocked the highway for few hours demanding a flyover in their town/village. Police had to lathi charge and disperse the mob.

English news source

Tamil TV news report:

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 3rd September 2017 at 20:53. Reason: Added more info
Old 4th September 2017, 08:09   #24523
Distinguished - BHPian

Not surprising to have witnessed this poor Figo become a victim of one of the many badly designed medians in Namma Bengaluru. This one is from Hebbal, in front of Esteem Mall.

They come without a warning, always!

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-vlcsnap2017090407h42m28s510.png

Here's the Dashcam grab of the same when I passed by this morning.

PS: Ignore the neatly wrapped flex banner on the pedestrian overbridge, can you ?

Last edited by paragsachania : 4th September 2017 at 08:11.
paragsachania is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 08:22   #24524
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Not surprising to have witnessed this poor Figo become a victim of one of the many badly designed medians in Namma Bengaluru. This one is from Hebbal, in front of Esteem Mall.

They come without a warning, always!
A few medians do come without a warning i.e no signboards fixed at the start or poorly planned median fixture which deviates from the previous lane but in this case I'd say the driver may have made an error in judgement as well.. I'd have seen this coming from quite a distance off as there was a good gap from the previous median. The possibilities are :

1) It was dark (early morning) and the driver mounted the median going at medium speeds. I assume 50+ is necessary to have the velocity to climb such a tall median across all wheels.

2) It was morning and visibility was normal but perhaps the speeds were higher and in an attempt to overtake or go leftwards behind another vehicle the median would've appeared out of nowhere with the blocked view and hence the unfortunate incident.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 18:42   #24525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Exactly, but there are people who swear by the safety features in their car and that's all that matters to them. "The Others" don't matter. Just like you mentioned, in my post, that Maruti Alto driver who got killed could've been the defensive driver. :(

There are idiots across the spectrum - driving nanos to bugattis.

Maybe it's cheaper for the guy to get a gun instead of buying a 'safe' car to wreck it and kill someone on the road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks