Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2024, 23:58   #5086
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift@life View Post
My boot looks similar to this.
Attachment 2635894
These boots are useless from the waterproof and protection point of view. You need to get proper full length motorcycle boots.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2024, 14:09   #5087
Senior - BHPian

There are sprays that imbibe waterproof properties. I recall using Rust O leum once, 3M also has a spray
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift@life View Post
All these are expensive for their water proof membranes. If there's no point, might as well go for something without the premium of a gore-tex layer.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2024, 19:19   #5088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamps View Post
For items worth 26k and that too from such a known store, this is pathetic. The level of carelessness for this kind of mix up is just unbelievable
Thanks for sharing. Hope you receive all the items soon.
It is indeed pathetic. Anyway after giving them an ultimatum on Friday, I received my stuff on Saturday.
Jacket and pants were a perfect fit with the liners. Without the liners they felt a bit loose.
Boots were good, gloves were ok ok, jacket was fantastic, pants were ok but even before wearing them the button came off (See pics). I'll return them on monday. Hope I can get a replacement soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Any idea on pricing? Jacket looks premium. Even the Nirvik that I got is really good quality.
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-img_1947.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_1948.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_1949.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_1951.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_1952.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_1953.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_1956.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_1957.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_1958.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_1960.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_1962.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_1963.jpg  

pedrolourenco is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th August 2024, 22:12   #5089
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Any idea on pricing? Jacket looks premium. Even the Nirvik that I got is really good quality.
Congratulations on your Nirvik and the other gear. Once you clock a few miles with this new kit, please do share a review on the products for the benefit of the community.

The Crossroader jacket retails for Rs 14,950. If you ask nicely, the Royal Enfield store guys will throw in the usual discount and that duffel bag to keep you happy.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 19:09   #5090
BHPian

I have been using Trek100 shoes from Decathlon for the last one year. They are really sturdy, waterproof, provide some ankle protection and are perfect if you want to explore a bit on foot. However, after a bike upgrade coupled with longer and frequent touring, I decided it was time to buy a set of proper touring riding boots.

Going by the rave reviews I have seen on this forum and elsewhere on the internet, I decided to go with TCX Goretex boots. The variant I had in mind was 'Explorer 4'. I saw High Note Performance (HNP), Delhi had them in stock. Unfortunately, there were no TCX boots available in my size in Bengaluru to confirm the size before placing my order and HNP had no return policy. So, I took a calculated risk of ordering based on the EU/US size of the Trek100 and my other sneakers. The boots got delivered in two days. Thankfully, the boots turned out to be of correct size.

Now coming to the boots, they are made in Combodia, are CE2221 WR rated with full length zip and velcro closure for extra security.

The Riding Gear thread-screenshot_20240805_183540_photos.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-screenshot_20240805_183611_photos.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20240805_190427.jpg

I have just completed a 800km ride with them. I don't have a baseline but I found these boots to be light weight and fairly comfortable from the get go - be it for changing gears or walking around. I also encountered a bit of rain on the way and the boots kept my feet totally dry. I still need to see how they perform in torrential rains. The fit and finish is great and their understated (single tone, inconspicuous badging) look doesn't draw a lot of attention. They are pricey for sure so I hope they last a long time.

The Riding Gear thread-screenshot_20240805_182759_photos.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-screenshot_20240805_183553_photos.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-screenshot_20240805_182731_photos2.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20240805_182324.jpg
night_eagle is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 19:26   #5091
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_eagle View Post
I have been using Trek100 shoes from Decathlon for the last one year.
These Decathlon trekking boots are quite brilliant as short ride, commute boots that dont scream "biker boy". For those who cannot or will not live with DMSs. Or high ankle zippered semi formal leather Goodyear welted boots.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 15:23   #5092
BHPian

I have been using Rynox Tornado Pro 4 riding jacket and it offers amazing protection (CE level 2 Knox protectors all around) for its price tag. The problem I have with this jacket is its heavy weight. Wearing it over long and multiple riding days just gets too physically demanding. I am posting here to seek advice on whether I should replace the Knox armours with lighter armours from Revit/D30 or the whole jacket needs to be upgraded to feel any meaningful weight difference without compromising on the protection? Any suggestions (including recommendations) would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
night_eagle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2024, 20:22   #5093
BHPian

Hello everyone,

I wanted to share my current riding gear setup and ask for some advice.

I bought my first bike, an R15v3, last year. I primarily ride on weekends and have logged only 3,000 km in the last 11 months. My office is right next to my PG, so I have no daily commute. Low usage and lack of funds (Entry level job + Mechanical Engineer combination) means I am very thoughtful of my spending including the riding gear. I have accumulated a ok Helmet, Gloves and riding jacket till now and want to complete my gear set by end of this year. And yes, I have bought everything at lowest possible price and want to continue the trend. Now to the point-:

1. Helmet: Axor Apex, Joker Edition (₹4,865 including discounts)
Purchased from Flipkart during a sale last year, even before I got my bike. It came with a bag, some stickers, and an extra iridium visor worth ₹1,100. I'm very happy with it.

2. Gloves: Axor Spyder Gloves (Around ₹1,800)
The only gloves under ₹2,000 with full leather construction and CE certification. They saved my hands during a fall, and I like their build. However, the touch-sensitive layer wore out quickly, making it hard to operate my phone and Maps with the gloves on.
The Riding Gear thread-gloves.jpg

3. Jacket: Axor Nimbuz (₹4,072 including discounts, bank offer and supercoins)
Bought this in May during another sale. It was an impulse purchase, but I'm delighted with the value. It has level 2 Safe-Tech protectors at the elbows, shoulders, and back, and level 1 protectors at the chest. It comes with abrasion-resistant fabric (600D I think!!), waterproof pockets, YKK zippers and an additional rain liner with a bag and hanger. I’ve used it on three rides and am quite happy with it. It comes with everything that mid range Rynox-Viaterra offers on paper with twice the price. I would like to see how it holds in coming years, especially because I got it so cheap. I do not have any experience with riding jackets so I would like if someone with experience examine my jacket and compare with known brands. (Anyone interested??)

The Riding Gear thread-j1.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-j2.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-j3.jpg

4. Boots: Adidas Rigket Trekking Shoes
These aren't ideal shoes for riding. But they have sturdy construction, a hard sole, and adequate heel and toe protection. They also have abrasion resistant fabric which saved me during a slide. But, they lack protection above the ankle. I'm planning to buy proper riding shoes soon and need your advice.

The Riding Gear thread-shoes.jpg

As I’m switching jobs, I will likely have a daily commute and will use these shoes regularly. My budget is below ₹5,000. I’ve shortlisted two options:

- Clan Shoes (₹4,500 with a coupon)
- TVS Boots (₹4,250)

These boots will be used for daily as well as long rides.
Should I invest in these short boots, or save up for full-size boots with shin protection for long rides and use my Adidas for daily commuting?

Between the TVS and Clan shoes, which is better? I've heard that Clan shoe reviews might be paid, and TVS reviews are non existent. I prefer the look of the TVS boots and believe they might offer better protection due to their full leather design as well as they're designed to be a riding shoes only, while Clan had constraints in design to make them look like sneakers

Please share your thoughts. Thanks in advance!
SaurAswale is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2024, 20:42   #5094
Senior - BHPian

So today I was riding with my jacket on, and the right elbow protector didn't feel right. Roughly palpated all other protectors and everything felt grossly fine.

So I got back home and decided to check on the protectors and got a rude shock! Both sides elbow & shoulder protectors came out crumbled! I've added the image of only one side here. I use a Held jacket, purchased in 2018 along with my motorcycle!

I wasn't aware of the lifespan of these protectors. However thinking of it, these are made of rubber like substances and should have an age beyond which they disintegrate! Thought of sharing this experience here so that others need not get a shock like I did today. Please share your experiences regarding protectors as well!
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-20240811_175155.jpg  

Geo_Ipe is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th August 2024, 01:08   #5095
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
I wasn't aware of the lifespan of these protectors. However thinking of it, these are made of rubber like substances and should have an age beyond which they disintegrate! Thought of sharing this experience here so that others need not get a shock like I did today. Please share your experiences regarding protectors as well!
Same thing with me after i checked my jacket after 6 years of not riding, all the protectors came like powder.

Saw this details in the site, good explanation.
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-image_20240812_010729672.png  

shamanth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2024, 21:14   #5096

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
I faced the same issue with my LS2 jacket which was not in use since a few years since lockdown (had posted details here (The Riding Gear thread)). What I observed is that the LS2 level 1 protector material crumbles over time. I also have a Rynox armor pant which had Knox CE Level 1 armour pads and those are intact compared to the LS2 ones. So the longevity of the material may vary depending on what armour pads the jacket manufacturers may use.
Old 13th August 2024, 05:04   #5097
BHPian

Hi all

I have a Rynox stealth Evo riding pants that i absolutely detest, mainly because of how stiff the armour is, and also the irritation it has against the skin in hot riding conditions.
I was wondering if replacing the Knox micro lock knee armour (which the Rynox uses as standard) with Klim D3o LP2 inserts would make it better?

Most places don't take it back if we don't like it, so any insight would be very helpful

TIA
Old 13th August 2024, 07:05   #5098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P72NX View Post
Hi all

I have a Rynox stealth Evo riding pants that i absolutely detest, mainly because of how stiff the armour is, and also the irritation it has against the skin in hot riding conditions.
I was wondering if replacing the Knox micro lock knee armour (which the Rynox uses as standard) with Klim D3o LP2 inserts would make it better?

Most places don't take it back if we don't like it, so any insight would be very helpful

TIA
For armour, fit, coverage and comfort is everything and they are all very personal. It is worth taking your pants to a riding gear shop and swap out the armour, sit on the bike, walk some and see. D3O LP2 is hard armour just like Knox microlock. You should probably consider SASTEC armour used in viaterra pants. That is the best soft armour I can think of without being completely useless like D3O ghost or Revit Seesmart. If you are not opposed to trying out other hard armour, Revit's knee guard is great because of the great coverage and the fact that it allows you to bypass restrictions based on the size of the armour pockets in your pants. The RV12 on this knee guard is asymmetric which helps a lot with fit and comfort but is one stiff b to wear.
hikozaru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2024, 23:33   #5099
BHPian

Got Astar Nucleon Chest armor for those Occasional trackdays, at 50% discount from Planet DSG on their recent sale. Cost me ₹3750 which is a steal deal considering that it sells on even FC moto for 5k.
It is level 2 certified. Though date of import is Mar 2019, there is no damage due to ageing.
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-img_20240815_232403.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_20240815_232251.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_20240815_232245.jpg  

Thamps is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2024, 13:43   #5100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
pants were ok but even before wearing them the button came off (See pics). I'll return them on monday. Hope I can get a replacement soon.
Finally got the replacement pant. Riding gear is complete now except for the helmet which I ordered on Amazon. They supplied me a size XL SMK Stellar the I had ordered S.
https://amzn.in/d/fpmCKO9

Most Viewed