Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2024, 15:36   #5071
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

I don't understand why solace doesn't market the CE 2222 IPA rating. Would make them the cheapest one on the market currently.
I'm only looking at Alpinestars during the lateral rigidity it offers. But this is no doubt a good entry option at this price. The Gadsyll brand has no such certification.
Senotrius is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2024, 20:35   #5072
Senior - BHPian

Further refined my shopping list.

Riding Jacket

1. Tarmac Adventure Black Jacket
https://www.customelements.in/produc...riding-jacket/

Pros
- Good Finish
- Full Level 2 Proctection
- Rain & Winter Liners Included
- Hydration Bladder integrated and included.

Cons
- Rain Liner is internal
- Pricing is close to the RE Nirvik

Price at Custom Elements: Rs.10,699/-

Verdict: Rejected because I thought the price was too close to the Nirvik and I didn't really need all the features. Decided to go with a mesh jacket.

2. Scala Brave Riding Jacket
https://www.customelements.in/produc...riding-jacket/

Pros

Cons
- Not a popular brand

Price at Custom Elements: Rs.7760/-

Verdict: Haven't seen or tried it but decided to finalise it as it met my requirements subject to trying it out. I even placed the order wit Custom Elements. Then I had a word with another Himalayan Owner and he suggested a proper touring jacket with ventilation instead of a mesh one as he has used both for rides in Goa, Karnataka and Maharashtra. Kept this on hold an asked for the Nirvik.

3. Royal Enfield Nirvik V2 Black Riding Jacket

Pros
- Good Finish
- Rain Liner is external
- Available at a good discount.

Cons
- Less ventilation compared to mesh jackets
- Hydration Bladder not included.

Price at Custom Elements: Rs.11000/-

Verdict: Had tried it out at the RE Showroom. Perfect fit and the discounted price makes it a good deal. Have asked Custom Elements to let me try it and then I'll take a final call thought I've tentatively finalised it.

Riding Pants

1. Royal Enfield Kelshi Riding Pants

Pros
- Good Finish

Cons
- Less ventilation compared to mesh pants
- Not eligible for the 25% Discount at the RE Dealer
- No Liners included.

Price at RE Showroom: Rs.6500/-

Verdict: Had tried it out at the RE Showroom. Again almost finalised. The 25% discount on gear in the store was not applicable to this. However if I purchased another item to make the bill above Rs.7000/-, they were giving a duffel bag free. A search online shows it has Level 1 armour but the piece at the showroom had level 2. Decided to skip it in favour of the below

2. Tarmac Drift II Level 2 Black Riding Pants
https://www.customelements.in/produc...-riding-pants/

Pros
- Good Finish

Cons
- Rain Liner is internal

Price at Custom Elements: Rs.5399/-

Verdict: Perfect fit and the discounted price makes it a good deal. Have asked Custom Elements to let me try it and then I'll take a final call thought I've tentatively finalised it.

Full Gauntlet Gloves

Tarmac Rapid Black Full Gauntlet Riding Gloves
https://www.customelements.in/produc...riding-gloves/

Pros
- Good Price for a full gauntlet

Cons
- Some YouTube reviews say the gloves deteriorate quickly

Price at Custom Elements: Rs.2999/-

Verdict: I've tentatively finalised it subject to trying out on Monday.

Riding Boots

1. Gadsyll G-STAR 11 TOURER BLACK
https://gadsyll.com/product/g-star-11-tourer-black/

Can't comment on the Pros and Cons as I have not seen it.

Price at Gadsyll: Rs.8300/-

Verdict: Was not available in black so opted for the below though kept is as a back up if I don't like the Raida

2. Raida Explorer Black Riding Boots
https://www.customelements.in/produc...-riding-boots/

Can't comment on the Pros and Cons as I have not seen it.

Price at Custom Elements: Rs.7450/-

Verdict: I've tentatively finalised it subject to trying out on Monday.

Helmet

1. Axor X-Cross Flash Dual Visor Neon Yellow Red Helmet
https://www.customelements.in/produc...ow-red-helmet/

Pros
- Good Finish
- DOT/ECE/ISI Certified
- Affordable price
- Attractive colours

Cons
- ECE Certification is 22.05 and not 22.06
- The colour I want is not available in my size

Price at Custom Elements: Rs.6983/-

Verdict: Had tried it out at another shop. Perfect fit and the affordable price makes it a good deal. Have asked Custom Elements to check if they can arrange the Red/White/Blue and then I'll take a final call though I've tentatively finalised it.

Currently my list looks like this:
- Royal Enfield Nirvik V2 Black Riding Jacket - Rs.11000/-
- Tarmac Drift II Level 2 Black Riding Pants - Rs.5399/-
- Tarmac Rapid Black Full Gauntlet Riding Gloves - Rs.2999/-
- Raida Explorer Black Riding Boots - Rs.7450/-
- Axor X-Cross Flash Dual Visor Neon Yellow Red Helmet - Rs.6983/-

Total Rs. 33831/-

Based on the approx 3.5% discount he had given me on my previous selection I'm expecting approx Rs.800 additional discount on all the items except the Nirvik which is already discounted.

Please share your opinions on:
1. My selection of gear.
2. The pricing I'm being offered.
pedrolourenco is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2024, 10:53   #5073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senotrius View Post
I don't understand why solace doesn't market the CE 2222 IPA rating. Would make them the cheapest one on the market currently.
Yup, these are the cheapest properly certified boots that are in India right now.

I feel that all Indian Gear Brands don't know what to market regarding safety certifications. They tend to concentrate on useless features while omitting the basic certifications that prove the safety performance.
Old 29th July 2024, 13:49   #5074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by advstreak View Post
Yup, these are the cheapest properly certified boots that are in India right now.

I feel that all Indian Gear Brands don't know what to market regarding safety certifications. They tend to concentrate on useless features while omitting the basic certifications that prove the safety performance.
I have asked Viaterra a few times when are they planning to get their Jackets/riding pants CE certified, they replied in negative that it did not make sense financially in getting them tested and Certified.

I was happy when their gloves were launched as CE certified. This got the other brands to follow suit.

Fun fact Zeus is a brand that sells CE certified jacket. Are we seeing them being recommended or selling out? Guess not.

Are we the reason to blame here?
skviknaraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2024, 19:09   #5075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skviknaraj View Post
Fun fact Zeus is a brand that sells CE certified jacket. Are we seeing them being recommended or selling out? Guess not.
Yes, I know of them and had plans to go and check them out but it seems like they don't have it for display anywhere and only sell it online.

Also, a couple of reviews were not so great regarding the quality, and hence decided not to pursue further.

In case, one is looking for a CLASS AA-certified jacket then Acerbis Ramsey is a great option at 10K INR.

https://www.reisemoto.com/products/r...hycHpL85_0GTsE

It comes with level 1 armour which should be easily upgradable. I plan to combine this with body armour to get better protection.
advstreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 09:09   #5076
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I have zeroed in on the following:
  1. Forma Adventure
  2. Falco
I've been using the Falco Marshall boots for over a year now and the comfort level is incomparable to the boots I've used earlier. Highly recommend you go with the Falco's.

I went through two pairs of Sidi boots earlier. First one was the Sidi Vertigo Air and the next one was the Sidi Strada.

Both boots were track boots and offered very good protection but they are narrow at the front and my toes used to get crushed and was super painful over a day-long ride (esp. the Strada). Do note that I had bought and worn one size bigger, yet it was very uncomfortable. Also, the soles on both boots came off in around two years. I had to discard the first pair while I could get the 2nd pair repaired.

Of course, the Marshall boots cannot be compared to these Sidi boots as the Marshall is basically an adventure style boot and is more comfy. But considering the Sidi's are also Italian and made in Europe, I would not expect the soles to come off. I know from another friend that this is pretty common with the Sidi's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
Can you tell me how good the protection from rain is, if at all? The RE website doesn't appear to claim it is.

Again, can you share your feedback on the waterproof aspect of this? Just curious. I nearly bought this, but none of the sizes would fit me as the knee protection was either too low or too high. Ended up buying the RS Taichi Drymaster.
No personal experience here but a friend has these pants and had very good things to say and recommended these. Again, these are not waterproof pants. You will need GoreTex pants for waterproofing.

Best to use a rain jacket and pants to stay dry. I believe the RE rain jacket that comes with the Nirvik jacket is very good. Nirvik is water resistant as it has a coating to keep water out in mild drizzles.

Last edited by n_aditya : 30th July 2024 at 09:11.
n_aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 11:51   #5077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Of course, the Marshall boots cannot be compared to these Sidi boots as the Marshall is basically an adventure style boot and is more comfy. But considering the Sidi's are also Italian and made in Europe, I would not expect the soles to come off. I know from another friend that this is pretty common with the Sidi's.
A friend's Sidi B2s had the same issue within a year. Very unexpected from a brand like Sidi with strong reputation. Some of the reputed Euro based gear just don't last in our riding environment.

Last edited by b16h22 : 30th July 2024 at 12:15.
Old 30th July 2024, 19:01   #5078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Both boots were track boots and offered very good protection but they are narrow at the front and my toes used to get crushed and was super painful over a day-long ride (esp. the Strada). Do note that I had bought and worn one size bigger, yet it was very uncomfortable. Also, the soles on both boots came off in around two years. I had to discard the first pair while I could get the 2nd pair repaired.
Ugh, all these euro brands put no thought for people with wide feet. Shima, Dainese, Sidi, they are all so narrow. I dropped my bike at a signal on my first ride with the shimas because I could not stand on one leg properly. Even TCX is narrow and they are supposed to be the widest along with astars. I don't know if there are other brands making good race boots for wide feet.
Old 30th July 2024, 20:57   #5079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by advstreak View Post
Yes, I know of them and had plans to go and check them out but it seems like they don't have it for display anywhere and only sell it online.

Also, a couple of reviews were not so great regarding the quality, and hence decided not to pursue further.

In case, one is looking for a CLASS AA-certified jacket then Acerbis Ramsey is a great option at 10K INR.

https://www.reisemoto.com/products/r...hycHpL85_0GTsE

It comes with level 1 armour which should be easily upgradable. I plan to combine this with body armour to get better protection.
I know there is more to a thing than its spec sheet but getting an AA certification with only 450d polyester when even indian brands start at 600d polyester to me looks like yet another example how low the CE standards are.
hikozaru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 23:45   #5080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikozaru View Post
I know there is more to a thing than its spec sheet but getting an AA certification with only 450d polyester when even indian brands start at 600d polyester to me looks like yet another example how low the CE standards are.
Denier rating is a measure of the thickness and weight of fabrics. Abrasion resistance is dependent on a lot of other factors including the weave type of fabric.

For example, the Revit Eclipse jacket gets class A with 600D Polyester while Horizon 3 does class AA with 450D ( although by double layering it)

https://www.revitsport.com/en/motorc...-2-black-olive

https://www.revitsport.com/en/motorc...-h2o-black-red

I agree that CE standards are nowhere near where they should be but performance can't be judged without proven test results.
advstreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 11:29   #5081
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikozaru View Post
Good point Hikozaru,

Higher Denier Value does not make better abrasion resistance. Multiple layers of lower Denier Value fabrics performs way better than a single layer of equivalent Denier value fabric.

One reason why at main abrasion zones you see manufacturers going with multiple layers of fabric.
skviknaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2024, 12:12   #5082
Senior - BHPian

Finally placed my order with Custom Elements on Monday:
- Royal Enfield Nirvik V2 Black Riding Jacket - Rs.11000/-
- Tarmac Drift II Level 2 Black Riding Pants - Rs.5399/-
- Tarmac Rapid Black Full Gauntlet Riding Gloves - Rs.2999/-
- Raida Explorer Black Riding Boots - Rs.7450/-

Total Rs.26,848/-
After Discount Rs.26,000/-

The Nirvik was already discounted by Rs.200/- so I ended up getting a discount of Rs.1048/- which is not great but ok.

Now today is Friday and I still haven't got my stuff. The Pants are in the office but I told then I'll pick up everything together.
Boots and Jacket are being shipped by Delhivery. I've been getting messages that they have attempted delivery but it's failed. App is showing that boots are being returned and jacket is expected today. I got a call asking for my address to deliver the jacket. The delivery agent is somewhere in Tamil Nadu. So someone has shipped the jacket to Tamil Nadu instead of Goa. I have no clue where the boots are. Also the gloves are not showing up in the Delhivery App so I'm assuming they are shipped by some other courier.
I was pretty irritated with their service. Called them up as said to deliver latest by tomorrow or cancel the order and refund.
I could have picked up the jacket from the RE Showroom and rest of the stuff from other stores for a few hundred rupees more.
pedrolourenco is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2024, 02:18   #5083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post

Now today is Friday and I still haven't got my stuff. The Pants are in the office but I told then I'll pick up everything together.
Boots and Jacket are being shipped by Delhivery. I've been getting messages that they have attempted delivery but it's failed. App is showing that boots are being returned and jacket is expected today. I got a call asking for my address to deliver the jacket. The delivery agent is somewhere in Tamil Nadu. So someone has shipped the jacket to Tamil Nadu instead of Goa. I have no clue where the boots are. Also the gloves are not showing up in the Delhivery App so I'm assuming they are shipped by some other courier.
I was pretty irritated with their service. CalledI m up as said to deliver latest by tomorrow or cancel the order and refund.

I could have picked up the jacket from the RE Showroom and rest of the stuff from other stores for a few hundred rupees more.
I collect diecast models as a hobby. Most of the orders are from FB groups. Most of the sellers are just individuals with same passion.
And almost all the time, no matter if the package costs Rs 120 Or 5k, the guys confirm the shipping address. Some of them even confirm the same by sending pic of the shipping package after delivery address is printed and pasted on it.
For items worth 26k and that too from such a known store, this is pathetic. The level of carelessness for this kind of mix up is just unbelievable

Thanks for sharing. Hope you receive all the items soon.
Thamps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2024, 10:59   #5084
Distinguished - BHPian

Royal Enfield Crossroader jacket - Initial Impressions

Over the last few years, Royal Enfield has been steadily launching one impressive riding gear product after the other. I got a chance to check out the Crossroader jacket and came away impressed by the overall fit and finish of the jacket. In summary, this is a textile jacket with some fixed mesh panels, so think of this as a very solid option for touring and long rides.

The big talking point is obviously the titanium sliders on the shoulders. That said, there are a lot of other highlights as well. For me, the fact that this has a rain coat which can be worn either over the jacket or inside it, is a huge deal! The rain liner on my Revit Sand 4 jacket can be used the same way. Trust me, when you are out riding, being able to quickly zip up a well fitting rain liner over your riding jacket, saves you from getting drenched, more times than you can imagine! The dual zippers on the wrists are another great feature as it allows you to precisely control how the air flows through your jacket.

Overall, this looks like another very well engineered Royal Enfield riding gear product that enthusiasts can strongly recommend to other riders.

The Riding Gear thread-1.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-2.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-3.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-4.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-5.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-6.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-7.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-8.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-9.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-10.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-11.jpg
neil.jericho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2024, 11:39   #5085
BHPian

I guess this will be the appropriate thread for my question.

Riders riding in the rain how do you keep your feet dry?

Yes, I know riding boots with waterproof membranes exist but do they work?

Let me explain, I have a pair of Clarks leather boots with Gore-Tex membrane( no it is not a riding boot) and they did not stand 10 minutes in pouring rain, they became water-logged and were slushing all the way. Other than wearing gum boots or wrapping the boots in rainproof bags I don't see a way.
I normally prefer not to ride during the rainy season, because I am not sure of my skills, but this monsoon got caught unaware in the pouring rain and enjoyed it other than the fact that my boots got soaking wet.
I was intent on getting the Sidi Adventure Pro with Goretex but my recent experience has put me off.

Suggestions?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks