Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2024, 21:51   #5041
Senior - BHPian

Riding Gear Shops in Pune

Slightly off topic but relevant nonetheless.

I was around Pune over the weekend and the kiddo in me wanted to go the candy store (biking gear shop in normal people parlance). Saturday I visited "Biking Superstore" in Balewadi. Thoroughly disappointed as it seemed that store is only focussed only towards Givi luggage. No riding boots nor pants or jackets. The store wore a very deserted look.

I had also planned to visit the MX Store and my bad I didn't check. Apparently it remains shut on Sunday. So couldn't visit.

The kiddo in me was seriously disappointed.
MileCruncher is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2024, 12:05   #5042

Re: The Riding Gear thread

https://store.royalenfield.com/en/e-...wn-eu-45-brown

Royal Enfield has a sale going on right now on the E39 boots. Price is more palatable now at 9k but a bit torn between these and the Gadsyll G-Star 9s.
paperpuli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2024, 15:08   #5043
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperpuli View Post
https://store.royalenfield.com/en/e-...wn-eu-45-brown

Royal Enfield has a sale going on right now on the E39 boots. Price is more palatable now at 9k but a bit torn between these and the Gadsyll G-Star 9s.

Korda is releasing a new riding boot on 25th. It is being advertised heavily on social media. No idea how it is or is it even worthy.
You might want to wait and watch.
livyodream is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2024, 20:37   #5044
BHPian

Finally bought riding gear yesterday from 6Kiom, Kasturiba road, after dilly dallying for almost 3 months.

The Riding Gear thread-full-gear.jpeg

Bought the following:

1. RS Taichi Compass Air Jacket - 19,999
Added back armour additional - Complimentaory!
2. RS Taichi Compass Air pant - 15999
Added hip armours additional - 1952
3. Crampster by Rynox full gauntlet leather gloves - 4599
4. Rynox rain liner - 1450

Found RS Tainchis to be the most lightest of all riding gear i tried so far, Rynox being the most heaviest. There was Revit Eclipse also but it has level 1 armours. So went with RS Taichi

With discounts, it came to 44K.

Also added BOBO BM17H Mobile Phone Holder Mount and installed the same on the bike.

Had bought Clan shoes some time back and Shark RS Carbon helmet. So i am all set now to start riding/touring.

The Riding Gear thread-shoes-1.jpeg
The Riding Gear thread-shoes-2.jpeg

Will need to add a tail bag. Any suggestions? Also, will need to invest in a good touring shoes. There was Forma ADV boots for 22,500. Might pick it up. Any other suggestion for a good pair of riding Adv boots?

Last edited by naveenvenkatesh : 21st July 2024 at 20:39.
naveenvenkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st July 2024, 21:04   #5045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Looking to upgrade to something better now.
- Riding Jacket with Level 2 Protectors for back, shoulders, elbows and chest. (Budget 6-7 K)
- Riding Pants with Level 2 Protectors for knees and hips (Budget 6-7 K)
- Full Gauntlet Gloves with Pinky bridge (Budget 4-6K)
- Riding Boots (Budget under 10K)

Already checked out 2 shops. Tried out mesh jackets from Axor, Rynox, DSG, BBG and Korda. Pants from Axor and Gloves from Rynox and Axor.
I checked out some gear at the RE dealership. There is a 25% discount on most of the stuff.
Tried out the following:
- Nirvik Jacket. Has all Level 2 Armours. Chest protectors included. XL fitted me snug with the winter line. Without the liner it was slightly loose. Overall was really nice. With the discount it was coming to a little over 11K. Giving it a serious thought. Only issue is Goa weather.
- Riding Pants. Couldn't figure out the model. There were no mesh sections or openings. Tried 34 over my jeans and it was a bit loose. SA said 32 would be too tight. He didn't have stock of 32 but said he could order. Price was a bit over 6K and there were no discounts.
- Full length Boots. The model was E39. Around 11k after discount. They only had Red/Black and Neon/Black. No stock in full black. Fit was good (size 10). Hardly any flex in the sole. However I found the fit and finish very average.

Will be going to the showroom tomorrow. Will check again. Otherwise will pick up a jacket and pant from Axor and Rynox Storm Evo 3 gloves. Boots I'll get Tarmac or Gadsyll full length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFox View Post
Do check out the Royal Enfield Tso Kar pants too! They're a fully waterproof option. Nothing imo is more convenient than not having to struggle to put a rain pant on in full gear at the side of the road when its raining
Not sure if there were the pants I tried out. Don't see any other options on the website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
Looks like the RE-Rev'it gear has made its way to stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
To me, the best touring jacket below Rs 20,000 is easily the Royal Enfield Nirvik.
Quote:
Basically, you are getting Revit engineering and quality at Royal Enfield prices. The best of both worlds.
Does this mean that the Nirvik is a re-branded Rev'it jacket?

Quote:
Tomorrow, if I need to get a replacement for my Khardung La touring jacket, I will go for the Nirvik. For what it offers, I wont even consider another option.
This statement is tempting me to pick up the Nirvik.
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2024, 01:02   #5046
BHPian

Quote:
Does this mean that the Nirvik is a re-branded Rev'it jacket?
No. The products from that collaboration are different.
Nirvik has been RE's apex touring jacket for a while now.
Old 22nd July 2024, 09:00   #5047
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No. The products from that collaboration are different.
Nirvik has been RE's apex touring jacket for a while now.
But isn't Nirvik and Khardungla are jackets focussed towards colder climes. Not exactly suitable for hot/humid weather ridong
Old 22nd July 2024, 09:42   #5048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
But isn't Nirvik and Khardungla are jackets focussed towards colder climes. Not exactly suitable for hot/humid weather ridong
I think there's a divide in opinions on this. Some people prefer textile touring jackets with plenty of open/close-able vents.
While others prefer mesh jackets with layers.

Without a doubt, textile jackets would be the more protective ones.
I've worn the Khardungla and Nirvik jackets in store. They were quite comfortable and sat on the body relatively well.

I have toured with mesh as well as textile (Gore-Tex) jackets. I can for sure say that the mesh jacket was the more overall comfortable one. Unfortunately, I have a strong aversion to getting wet, so I now tour with my Gore-Tex jacket. I'm not so sure I would recommend that too much.

I will probably never go back to non-Gore-Tex pants ever. But I'm still willing to consider well ventilated, non-Gore-Tex jackets.
And if mesh is what that is today, I would have no problem. Our country is warm through the year on average, and layering up is an easy enough concept.
I have never felt "too much air/wind" with a mesh jacket.
shyamg28 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2024, 14:26   #5049
BHPian

Quote:
Without a doubt, textile jackets would be the more protective ones.
I've worn the Khardungla and Nirvik jackets in store. They were quite comfortable and sat on the body relatively well.

I have toured with mesh as well as textile (Gore-Tex) jackets. I can for sure say that the mesh jacket was the more overall comfortable one. Unfortunately, I have a strong aversion to getting wet, so I now tour with my Gore-Tex jacket. I'm not so sure I would recommend that too much.
May I know which Gore-Tex jacket you use?

I am getting confused between the terms textile, GoreTex, Cordura etc. Googling tells me that Goretex and Cordura are different and that RE's Nirvik and Khardungla are Cordura and not Goretex. Can both Goretex and Cordura be called textile?

Also, correct me if I am wrong, I don't think either of RE's jackets being discussed are waterproof since they don't have any goretex or dry* or whatever technology required. All I see on RE's website is this - "Water Resistance: Provides superior water resistance when paired with a waterproof rain jacket."

Last edited by prakash_ajp : 22nd July 2024 at 14:52.
prakash_ajp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2024, 15:00   #5050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
May I know which Gore-Tex jacket you use?

I am getting confused between the terms textile, GoreTex, Cordura etc. Googling tells me that Goretex and Cordura are different and that RE's Nirvik and Khardungla are Cordura and not Goretex. Can both Goretex and Cordura be called textile?

Also, correct me if I am wrong, I don't think either of RE's jackets being discussed are waterproof since they don't have any goretex or dry* or whatever technology required. All I see on RE's website is this - "Water Resistance: Provides superior water resistance when paired with a waterproof rain jacket."
Check this out - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-...ml#post5774625 (The Riding Gear thread)

You're right, RE's Nirvik or Khardungla do not have a waterproof membrane built-in as such. However, I do believe they offer rain liners on top of the actual jacket.
shyamg28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2024, 19:55   #5051
Senior - BHPian

After my recent accident involving the foot and even after 2 weeks, the big toe and ball of the foot are still not 100%. Am a recreational runner too and I can't have a serious foot/ ankle / leg injury that stops me from running!

While no one wants to have an accident and we take outmost care, it is also important that we prepared on what if something goes wrong. So protecting my lower limbs especially foot/ ankle /leg is of paramount importance.

With this thought, I started doing some research and understood that Motocross boots are safest and after that is the adventure full length boots. Setting myself of budget of Rs 30K and thereabouts, I started zeroing on brands / models. Some key criteria was full length, reputable brand, good general feedback and available in Mumbai- so that I can wear and check.

I have zeroed in on the following:
  1. Forma Adventure
  2. Falco

The above list is zeroed on because of availability of both brand and size (EU-41). I'm not looking at Raida or Tarmac because I'm not sure of their reviews.

I also want to explore Alpinestar Techstar 3, Gaerne, Leatt 3.5 but none of them seem to be available in Mumbai. I would prefer not ordering online without trying them on. Any pointers for them in Mumbai will be much appreciated.

Last edited by MileCruncher : 22nd July 2024 at 19:56.
Old 22nd July 2024, 21:32   #5052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Jacket - go with the Royal Enfield Nirvik. I upgraded from my old Spartan Helios mesh jacket. The Nirvik is very well constructed and feels very premium. Only downside (for me) is that the inner pockets are way too low, almost near waist level which makes it uncomfortable to ride with the phone in the phone pocket. Another gripe is that the jacket is not very comfortable for riding in summers. If you need additional air ventilation, you need to remove the chest armor and open those vents.
Can you tell me how good the protection from rain is, if at all? The RE website doesn't appear to claim it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Pants - go with this one. Very well constructed and good quality armor.
Again, can you share your feedback on the waterproof aspect of this? Just curious. I nearly bought this, but none of the sizes would fit me as the knee protection was either too low or too high. Ended up buying the RS Taichi Drymaster.
Old 22nd July 2024, 22:57   #5053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I also want to explore Alpinestar Techstar 3, Gaerne, Leatt 3.5 but none of them seem to be available in Mumbai.
Check out Supermoto, they are located in Goregaon. Alpinestars and Dainese dealer. I bought all my Alpinestars gear from them.

https://supermoto.co.in/category/road-adv-boots

You could also check out Lazy Ass Bikers in Andheri East.

Happy shopping.
Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2024, 23:17   #5054
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The other way of looking at it is
- Textile jackets for touring + controlled ventilation
- Mesh jackets for city usage + greater ventilation.

Quote:
I checked out some gear at the RE dealership. There is a 25% discount on most of the stuff.
Tried out the following:
- Nirvik Jacket. Has all Level 2 Armours. Chest protectors included. XL fitted me snug with the winter line. Without the liner it was slightly loose. Overall was really nice. With the discount it was coming to a little over 11K. Giving it a serious thought. Only issue is Goa weather.
The Nirvik is an excellent jacket but its meant for touring. What is your usage going to be like? If it is for riding around Goa on weekends, you are better off with a mesh jacket.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 00:10   #5055
BHPian

A video came up on my youtube feed today from a dude called Tiger Kaul, who is a biker and has a bike accessories store also.Don't want to add the link here. He was reviewing a film type of material that you can paste on the visor of the helmet that prevents scratches and water marks (water just flows done without staying on the visor). Looked pretty good but want to know if such a contraption is necessary and should i invest in it?

I went for a long ride today and the visor was pretty scuffed up with bugs and muck. Cleaned it and seems to be fine now but want to know if some sort of protection is recommended.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks