Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2024, 22:45   #5026
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

The Riding Gear thread-img_20240627_185856.jpg
My Gadsyll 7 city boots got drenched today in Mumbai rains but the inside was super dry and comfy. So still comfy after 1st rain bout
MileCruncher is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th June 2024, 11:23   #5027
BHPian

I was looking to pick up the RE x Alpinestars Gravity Drymaster Jacket maybe sometime in October. The idea is to keep my explorer as well, and use the Gravity for rides in rainy, cold or even moderately pleasant weather. I'd appreciate some user reviews on the same, especially on the ventilation front. Cheers!
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2024, 16:04   #5028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFox View Post
I was looking to pick up the RE x Alpinestars Gravity Drymaster Jacket maybe sometime in October. The idea is to keep my explorer as well, and use the Gravity for rides in rainy, cold or even moderately pleasant weather. I'd appreciate some user reviews on the same, especially on the ventilation front. Cheers!
Neil had posted his opinion on this very thread. In fact, I did try this last week along with the LS2 metropolis. I don't think this would be a jacket for hot conditions. There was hardly any ventilation in the drymaster as well as the LS2 Metropolis. These two will be better suited for cold conditions. I found the LS2 Gallant better in this aspect. Other factor that is against the Gravity is, it doesn't seem to have any provision for back protection. Otherwise, felt like well constructed jacket.
Old 29th June 2024, 16:26   #5029

Hey everyone,

I'm gearing up for a ride to Leh with some friends and wanted to get your input on a few things:

1. Base Layers (Budget: ₹2,000 per piece (Top and bottom)):

Looking for recommendations on high-performance base layers (top and bottom) to wear under my riding gear. Any suggestions for good options within a ₹2,000 budget for each piece?

2. Rain Liners (Budget: ₹2,000 per piece (Top and bottom)):

Considering Rynox rain liners (top and bottom) but open to other suggestions. My budget is around ₹2,000 for each piece.

3. Portable Tire Inflator (Budget: Under ₹4,000):

Since we'll be riding to Leh, a reliable and portable tire inflator is a must-have. Any recommendations for inflators under ₹4,000?

Also, any tips and tricks for this upcoming ride that will be useful for us?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Old 29th June 2024, 16:59   #5030
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoro007 View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm gearing up for a ride to Leh with some friends and wanted to get your input on a few things:

1. Base Layers (Budget: ₹2,000 per piece (Top and bottom)):
I use a base layer pant from Rynox. On the top, I prefer wearing a Jockey Thermal vest and a regular t-shirt.

Quote:

I have a rain coat already present inside my RE Riding Jacket.

For lowers, I have a cheap decathlon rain paint.

Quote:

3. Portable Tire Inflator (Budget: Under ₹4,000):
https://www.amazon.in/Bosch-Electric...p/B0BNVG9XMQ/r

I have this and its very good.
I paid 4k for it during some sale.

Riding in the mountains is a lot of fun. Stay well hydrated. Do not try to race. Spend as much time as possible relaxing and soaking in the beauty of the place.

Do not climb more than 1.5k feet in a day.

If you spent a night at an altitude of x feet, the next night do not go any higher than x+1500 feet.

This will help keep altitude sickness in check.

Enjoy.

Last edited by bblost : 29th June 2024 at 17:00.
bblost is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2024, 16:42   #5031
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Attachment 2621602
My Gadsyll 7 city boots got drenched today in Mumbai rains but the inside was super dry and comfy. So still comfy after 1st rain bout

Had almost finalised to pick the Gadsyll 11. But this came up on my feed.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C8kDa...FlMnN3YW9xMG8=

This was definitely not expected from a riding boot. The company even responded in the comments section of the reel.
livyodream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2024, 16:59   #5032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post

This was definitely not expected from a riding boot. The company even responded in the comments section of the reel.
Well have bought it, so will have to see how this ages. Money has been spent already which cannot be reclaimed
Old 4th July 2024, 00:07   #5033
BHPian

my query doesn't really fall under this "riding gear" category, but I couldn't find any other thread relevant so posting here.

Query about bike accessory - flag pole

Where can I get good quality flag pole and a custom flag made for my motorcycle ?
I have seen many bikes carrying a flag, but on close observation on few bikes saw that flat pole is often custom made or welded on one of the guard or pannier rail.

For ref, I own a RE Himalayan 411.
Old 6th July 2024, 22:09   #5034
BHPian

Quote:

This is probably one of those 'you are holding it wrong' moments. My TCX Street 3 suffers from the same issue on the left shoe but the right one is stiff as ever. This is because i contort the heck out of the heel to fit my foot in and some when removing the foot. I do this because the flooring is super slippery where i live and the shoe just slides forward. Using the simple (not looped) pull tab to avoid it makes my thumb go numb for the better part of a day and I cannot use my indicators if I do that. On days where I expect to toggle the shoe state frequently (as many indoor premises require you to take your shoes off here in Bangalore), I take my full length boots and a change of footwear lol, it really is that annoying.

That said, this excuses neither Gadsyll nor TCX and they both should do something to make it easier to wear without us having to resort to such dark magicks.
Old 7th July 2024, 01:51   #5035
BHPian

Quote:

That is certainly not normal for a riding boot with hard TPU toe box and heel protection to flex this much after the 'break-in' period. You get what you paid for I guess. But even the original budget TBG shorties I used to daily in 2016 had a stiff toe box and heel section despite rest of the boot falling apart with regular use . They have certainly skimped on the rigidity in the name of either comfort or cost. The toe box of my now defunct Falco Oxegen 2 remained stiff over its lifetime. It was quite uncomfortable for touring due to that reason.
b16h22 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 21:26   #5036
Senior - BHPian

Gadsyll 7 Inch - 3 month review

My Gadsyll Maverick 7are about 3 months old. I had an incident last Saturday wherein the left shoe banged against the front mudguard of a last moment protruding active.

The thermo formed plastic shell of the toe has deformed slightly but the good thing is it held firm so that I didn't get fracture of the toe.The Riding Gear thread-img_20240714_203751.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-img_20240714_203755.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-img_20240714_203800.jpg

However, the not so good part, the heel protector/ thermo formed support's stiffness seem to have gone.

So does it make the shoe unusable? No. But I will only be wearing it in city.

Now comes the question, do we have a good city riding boot in the 6K range which has good toe and heel protector? Are RE Huntsman boots a good compromise?

Lets find out a good VFM boot in the 6K range.
MileCruncher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 09:44   #5037
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoro007 View Post

Considering Rynox rain liners (top and bottom) but open to other suggestions. My budget is around ₹2,000 for each piece.
Go for Rynox both top and bottom, rain pant has zip till knee, so you can wear it on the go standing, even with full boots on, which is impossible with most other rain pants.

And i had worn both during heavy rains for hours in western ghats, it was good protection from rain.
Old 15th July 2024, 10:36   #5038
BHPian

Re: Gadsyll 7 Inch - 3 month review

Quote:
My Gadsyll ...... which has good toe and heel protector? Are RE Huntsman boots a good compromise?

Glad the Gadsyll functioned as intended.

As for the replacement: have a look at the RE Cabo WP boots. They are atleast CE certified.
Old 15th July 2024, 12:49   #5039
BHPian

Re: Gadsyll 7 Inch - 3 month review

Quote:
The thermo formed plastic shell of the toe has deformed slightly but the good thing is it held firm so that I didn't get fracture of the toe.
Really happy to know that the boots saved your toes.
This reminds us all of the importance of using a good quality riding boots, even within city limits, these kinds of small incidents can occur at anytime and anywhere. Even am guilty of skipping proper riding boot and going with normal RedTape/ Woodlands leather boots, which are better than sports shoes & sneakers, but wont protect you fully in this kind of scenarios.

Quote:
Now comes the question, do we have a good city riding boot in the 6K range which has good toe and heel protector? Are RE Huntsman boots a good compromise?

Have you checked out Viaterra Bronson Boots? Its in the 7K range, but looks really promising and doesn't scream out loud to be a riding boot, can be used even for office purposes?
Am thinking of getting them for city use, for highways I already have a full-length touring boot.
BreezeRiDrives is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 13:15   #5040
Senior - BHPian

Getting back to riding after 8 years. My gear then was:
- Vega Riding Jacket
- Vega gloves
- Axor Helmet
- Lee Cooper boots
- Some generic knee guards

Looking to upgrade to something better now.
- Riding Jacket with Level 2 Protectors for back, shoulders, elbows and chest. (Budget 6-7 K)
- Riding Pants with Level 2 Protectors for knees and hips (Budget 6-7 K)
- Full Gauntlet Gloves with Pinky bridge (Budget 4-6K)
- Riding Boots (Budget under 10K)

Already checked out 2 shops. Tried out mesh jackets from Axor, Rynox, DSG, BBG and Korda. Pants from Axor and Gloves from Rynox and Axor.

All the stuff from Axor was 1-2K cheaper than the equivalent stuff from other brands. The finish of the Axor Jackets and Pants was as good (if not better) than Rynox. The gloves, I preferred the Rynox Storm Evo 3.

Please suggest what to buy.

Im very tempted to try out the offerings from Axor (having had a good experience with their Helmet). Fit and finish looks good, specs paper are also on par with the competition. What's holding be back is there are very few reviews online. The reviews are positive though. Also I haven't seen this brand mentioned in this thread.
Is there something I've missed out on this brand? Any reason I should not get their stuff? I will end up saving around 4-5K on the Jacket, Pants and Gloves compared to the competition but want to be sure that I'm not wasting money trying to save 4-5K.
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed