Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2024, 12:23   #5011
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Friends,
Anyone has firsthand experience or idea about the LS2 Metropolis Urban waterproof jacket? I am tempted to replace my mesh jacket with a waterproof one since I mostly ride in cold and rainy conditions. The RE's Gravity Drystar is my first choice and this seems to be even cheaper. I have no idea about the quality of LS2 riding jackets, though? On safety front, are they good enough to be compared with the Alphinestar gravity if not at least comparable to RE's mid range jackets?

For comparison, the material used to be same as the one in the drystar (600D polyester). Comes only with CE1 armors, but I can always swap the CE2 ones from my current jacket. So, not a deal-breaker for me. Another important factor is this comes in a lighter shade, which works well for me.
Old 23rd June 2024, 23:23   #5012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neochanger View Post
Hi everyone!

Has anyone here tried out Bronson boots from Viaterra? Please share your review if possible. Also, what may be the alternatives for 7k budget for good/decent riding boots.

Thanks!
I have always wanted to check out viaterra's take on the tcx hero after finding out getting the tcx is quite difficult. I only tried it out at a shop, not even a ride so I cannot give you a proper review on how it fares over time or on the bike but I did not like it at the shop. It fit met great, its easy to get in and out with the laces and looks well built and the finish is great. But its got two massive and one major downside.

The boots are extremely stiff and its got a long tongue that rides up the shin. Stiffness in that area makes it extremely difficult to walk even forward let alone sideways. Given the state of our roads, walking the beta needs significant sideways movements. I was told that the shoes break in after a good 400-500km but I am not going to experiment with that. The second major issue is the design and the insole. Perhaps it is expected of shoes of this genre but the foot feels like it is on first floor. There is so much distance and insulation between the outsole and the feet that there is zero ground feel. The insole is also a little too soft (I prefer hard insoles so when I say soft, it could be perfectly acceptable to others) so each step always felt a bit vague. I understand the insole is yet another thing that breaks in over time and it could feel much better after that. The heel to toe drop is surprisingly manageable, perhaps in part due to the vagueness. On the positive side, I imagine this level of isolation from the ground would be amazing for people riding vibey bikes like the 390. Apparently the ankle armour is only on the outside and not both sides. I'd assume you want armour on the inside too if the bike falls down on you.

This is totally subjective but the shoe is unfortunately a bit of a fashion disaster. The smooth black leather reminds me of school shoes. The tcx heroes deftly avoid this by having a grainy upper. I suspect it looks better in brown partly due to the brownish thing that connects the upper and the sole sticks out, but it does not in the brown version. Overall, I think the shoe would have been much better off if it came in suede or just a grainy upper like the heroes.

The Riding Gear thread-look.jpg

Found some interesting bits like the soles having some perforations which look like some kind of ventilation. They also have a bit of a bump at the centre of the heel. The eyelets near the tongue have a hook kind of thing which the sales guy said can be used for lacing which does seem to work. I don't know why I'd prefer that over just lacing it through the eyelet but at least it looks cool. Did not really try the zip entry because of the above issues and the laces offered a secure enough fit.

The Riding Gear thread-weird-eyelets.jpg
notice the hook on the top couple of eyelets

All urban motorcycle boots are a compromise between safety, comfort and feel and its up to how closely each pair fits within our preferences. Personally I think these are too uncomfortable for urban use but not safe enough for fast riding nor does it offer enough feel like a race boot but to someone else this might be the perfect compromise. Give it a try if nothing else.

Last edited by hikozaru : 23rd June 2024 at 23:37.
hikozaru is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th June 2024, 14:56   #5013
Senior - BHPian

Any helmet that comes with pre recessed slots for Blue tooth speaker in the helmet shell? I think I had seen SMK Typhoon to have those. My LS2 helmet had no recess and hence it was a pain to install Bluetooth comms.
Old 25th June 2024, 23:24   #5014
BHPian

My Viaterra Holeshot gloves bought in 2019 have started giving up. The rubber is peeling off and the textile portions have frayed down considerably. While looking to replace them with another pair couldn’t help but notice how the pricey they’ve become. They’ve increased prices by 46% in 5 years! Problem is nothing else seems to provide the sort of protection these gloves do within the 2.5-4k price range.

Any suggestions for short cuff gloves within 4K will be highly appreciated.
Old 26th June 2024, 10:41   #5015
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Any helmet that comes with pre recessed slots for Blue tooth speaker in the helmet shell? I think I had seen SMK Typhoon to have those. My LS2 helmet had no recess and hence it was a pain to install Bluetooth comms.
Most of the medium to high end helmets these days come with a speaker pocket. I use an LS2 FF800 Storme-II model, they have the speaker pockets and I have installed intercom system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyNomad View Post
Problem is nothing else seems to provide the sort of protection these gloves do within the 2.5-4k price range.

Viaterra Holeshot is one of the best short cuff gloves you can get these days; You can also check out Rynox Tornado Pro, they are good as well. I use Rynox Storm Evo 3 Gloves for the highway runs. Looking to get a semi-gauntlet gloves with TPU sliders for scaphoid bone protection, for city use myself too.
Came across Tarmac swift gloves online at about 2500/- range, looks impressive, didn't get a chance to have a look at them in person in Bangalore, couldn't find many reviews also hence keeping it on hold for now.
Old 26th June 2024, 11:06   #5016
BHPian

Quote:
My Viaterra Holeshot gloves bought in 2019 have started giving up. The rubber is peeling off and the textile portions have frayed down considerably. While looking to replace them with another pair couldn’t help but notice how the pricey they’ve become. They’ve increased prices by 46% in 5 years! Problem is nothing else seems to provide the sort of protection these gloves do within the 2.5-4k price range.

Royal Enfield has some good stuff in this regard. Links below:

With SPS:

Vamos: https://store.royalenfield.com/en/he...2xl-24cm-brown
Roadbound: https://store.royalenfield.com/en/ro...ive-1591135824

Without SPS:

Stalwart: https://store.royalenfield.com/en/st...cm-black-olive
Stout: https://store.royalenfield.com/en/st...2xl-24cm-black

All the gloves are CE Certified as well, just like the holeshot
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 12:03   #5017
BHPian

Quote:

My suggestion as far as gloves/boots are concerned: go for one with maximum leather coverage. Leather just outlasts textile any day. Especially full grain thick leather. As much as possible, the entire palm, fingers should be full covered by leather including joints/seams. Maybe the upper part behind knuckles can be textile in case of no option.
Old 26th June 2024, 12:45   #5018
Distinguished - BHPian

It has been sometime that I had been thinking of getting the Dainese D-Air Jacket. It had caught my eye when they had launched the vest few years back, I came very close to buying it but then backed out as I was not very interested to carry one more jacket along with the entire set of riding gear we already have.

The Riding Gear thread-dainesesmartjacketairbagwestejetztbei24helmets.jpg

I waited for them to come up with a full jacket version, and then they launched the first road Jacket - Smart jacket LS with level 2 protectors on shoulder and elbow. This was really good and I made up my mind to get it, in one of my trips abroad I visited the Dainese showroom to pick it, but they did not have my size. I was also a bit double minded as the jacket though had complete protection but was a bit too bland and looked like a normal Jacket. I decided I will pick it in one of my next trips and also decided to wait if they will launch another version.

Name:  smartjacketlsblack.png
Views: 134
Size:  90.9 KB

Then finally Dainese launched the Smart Jacket LS Sport and this was a true Dainese jacket for me. It had a prominent Demon Logo and also much more visible both from front and back. This also had Level 2 protectors all around along with the airbag, and this time while I was in Singapore I finally bit the bullet and picked it up. The jacket looked way better in person then in photos. This is there gen 3 jacket and is updated with all that they have learnt from previous 2 gens.

Name:  DAINESESMARTJACKETSLSSPORTBlackFlurRed3.png
Views: 128
Size:  77.3 KB

This jacket uses same technology as they use in MotoGP and is programmed for road use. They have jackets for track use also, which are mainly there leather jackets or suits. The latest 2024 models can now also be switched to road or track use.

From Dainese site

Quote:
MORE THAN A BACK PROTECTOR, WITHOUT A BACK PROTECTOR.

The Dainese D-air® airbag system protects the rider's back and vital parts with its Shield, the patented airbag with microfilaments that ensures high shock absorption capacity without the need for hardshell protective gear. The amount of protection is equivalent to seven back protectors and it covers a wider surface than a single back protector, without the restrictions. The safety of air.
Quote:
SAFE LIKE 8 CHEST PROTECTORS, WITHOUT HARDSHELL.

The amount of protection provided by Dainese D-air® airbag system is equivalent to 8 rigid Level 2 chest protectors on the front. Again, the safety of air.
Now I haven't tested the above (and I hope I never have to), I will believe in them as we have seen this technology in action. We need to give ourselves the best chance to protect ourselves where ever possible.

For the uninitiated how does the jacket protect, please see the video below, it is very informative.

About the Jacket.

The Riding Gear thread-whatsapp-image-20240530-6.16.44-pm.jpeg

The Jacket is very well built and airy, I expected the Jacket to be a bit lighter then it is, but it almost weighs similar to a standard jacket with back protectors. The big advantage though is that it does not have the hard shell of a back protector and that makes movement much more easier and makes it much more comfortable to wear for longer rides. The jacket has air bag which covers your back and chest and also your collar bone, for shoulder and elbow it has a level 2 soft protector installed.

This is a standalone jacket and has a chip running inside it which monitors your current state and deploys jacket in case of a fall. Below is from Dainese site.

Quote:

ALWAYS AWARE OF WHAT'S GOING ON AROUND THE RIDER.​

The brain inside the Smart Jacket senses and analyzes everything that goes on around the rider. It uses its sensors to monitor and process data 1,000 times a second. Its complex algorithm activates the airbag in the event of lowsiders, highsiders, collisions with objects or other vehicles, and rear-end collisions. For the first time with a motorcycle airbag system, activation also occurs in a collision with a stationary vehicle, which is common when stopping at an intersection. You concentrate on the road, the Smart Jacket will keep you safe as you move.
The jacket needs to be registered first on the Dainese website before you can start using it, once registered it needs to be charged to 100% and you are ready to go. Dainese has an app which you need to connect to for doing the activation and also check the charge level. The Jacket comes with it's own charging cable which is a USB C to USB type C cable. Below are couple of screenshots of the App.

The Riding Gear thread-whatsapp-image-20240601-6.56.31-pm-1.jpeg

The Riding Gear thread-whatsapp-image-20240601-6.56.31-pm.jpeg

You can use the app to update the jacket with any new updates, mainly better algorithms that Dainese might release in near future. This is in V3, before this you had to take the jacket to Dainese showroom for updates, this definitely makes life easier. You can also put the jacket in shipping mode from the app while travelling so that it does not open up accidentally. The jacket has a nice waist strap inside so as to provide multiple level of adjustments.

Once you have registered and charged the Jacket, the led light on the jacket turns green indicating Jacket is fully charged and ready to be worn. Once you wear the jacket it has two clip on buttons above the zipper, you need to clip them on to activate the jacket. Once done light will turn from Red to Blue with vibration indicating that the jacket is now armed. If you have not put both the clips it will vibrate and turn to red and keep on vibrating after few seconds to indicate that the jacket is not armed, this will also turn the light back to red.

Once the blue light is on, the jacket is now ready to be activated, and it will get activated in below conditions.

1. The engine is turned on, so it will pick the Vibrations and activate the jacket.
2. The bike is moving and is above 5 Kmph, it will figure this out by GPS and activate the jacket.

Once activated the green light turns on and gives a vibration to rider indicating that the bike now is armed and activated. You can then get onto riding without worrying about anything else and concentrate on the road. One charge lasts upto 26 hours. Once you are done riding you can just turn off the engine and this will put the jacket back in armed state and LED will turn from green to blue. Removing the clip on buttons will deactivate the jacket completely indicated once by vibration and red LED.

I have now used the Jacket for close to 500 Kms and am very happy with the comfort of the Jacket. This is an expensive jacket and costs around 1000$ with taxes but then it is a price I was ready to pay to feel a bit more protected compared to the normal jackets. While nothing is 100% safe this does give you a chance of better survival. I wish there were similar riding pants also, the one available in market today are all tethered types and need to be connected to bike.

The Jacket though has a flaw which is that you can not wash it or wear it in rains. You need to have a rain cover for you to be riding in rains, which surprisingly was not included by Dainese. They should have definitely included this for the price they are charging. Price and above point are the only two cons I can see for the jacket for now, and I wish the price comes down soon and this jacket becomes much more mainstream.

If you can afford one, I would whole heartedly recommend you to get one, while there are many things which are out of our control while riding, let's try to control what we can to keep ourselves safe as much as possible. Signing off with a photo of me wearing the jacket.

The Riding Gear thread-whatsapp-image-20240608-6.36.31-pm.jpeg

I already have matching shoes and gloves and to compliment the Jacket I got the leather pants also to feel a bit more safe compared to the riding jeans. This should complete the red and black look.

The Riding Gear thread-whatsapp-image-20240621-5.22.32-pm.jpeg

Until next time, Ride safe, stay safe.

Last edited by AtheK : 26th June 2024 at 12:48.
AtheK is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 12:50   #5019

Gearing Up for a Leh Trip via Sach Pass in Mid-July: Need Your Expertise

Hey everyone,
I'm planning a motorcycle trip to Leh via Sach Pass in mid-July and I'm in the process of picking up some essential gear. Here's what I've shortlisted so far:

1. Riding Pants: Viaterra Street Mesh Riding Pants (₹8499) - budget (<10k)

2.Helmet: LS2 Vector 2 (with pinlock, ₹14.5k) - budget (<15k)

3. Boots: Orazo Ibiz Waterproof Boots - budget (<8k)

4. Base Layers: Rynox vapour Pro (top and bottom)

5.Winter/Waterproof Gloves: Viaterra Tundra Gloves

6. Touring Gloves: Viaterra Grid Gauntlet Gloves - budget (<6k)

7. Rain Gear: Rynox top rain liner + Decathlon Rain Pants

I already have a Royal Enfield riding jacket with a winter liner.

A couple of questions for the biker gurus here:

1. Gear Recommendations: How does my current list look? Are there any better alternatives for any of the items? Or am I missing something?

2.Viaterra Stock Issues: Unfortunately, Viaterra's Street Mesh Riding Pants and Grid Gauntlet Gloves aren't available in my size for the next few weeks. Any suggestions for good alternatives?
Any advice and recommendations would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Zoro007 : 26th June 2024 at 13:08. Reason: Added budget for few products
Zoro007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 13:46   #5020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoro007 View Post
Gearing Up for a Leh Trip via Sach Pass in Mid-July: Need Your Expertise
Right off the top of my head:

Quote:
2.Helmet: LS2 Vector 2 (with pinlock, ₹14.5k) - budget (<15k)
Not sure if you wear glasses. If yes, no need to get pinlock as in my experience the visor stays clear but the glasses fog up anyway. I have now removed the pinlock insert from my helmet.

Quote:
3. Boots: Orazo Ibiz Waterproof Boots - budget (<8k)
Not worth it. Spend a little more and get the Tarmac boots (I believe they're called Adventure Pro). Orazos are typical safety shoes and not riding shoes. I have the Picus, and I should've researched better before buying them.

Quote:
1. Riding Pants: Viaterra Street Mesh Riding Pants (₹8499) - budget (<10k)
7. Rain Gear: Rynox top rain liner + Decathlon Rain Pants
Decathlon rain gear may not be comfortable to wear over riding gear. I have faced this because I have the Decathlon raincoat which I've had to wear a couple of times over my riding jacket. Hence look for pants that come with liners from factory. I use the Rynox Airtex riding pants that are level 2 and come with winter and rain liners (Rs. 7250)

Last edited by boniver : 26th June 2024 at 13:48.
boniver is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 17:47   #5021
HTC
BHPian

Got couple of riding gear from USA.

My friend was returning from USA. Searched the offers and deals going on and asked him to get a boot and gloves. Both are from basic and affordable brand - NORU (Japanese brand).

Riding Boots:

My old Tourmaster riding boots were already showing age. Needed a affordable boot as stopgap arrangement till I upgrade my bike along with riding gear. Saw some great deals on Noru brand items and chose 'Noru Tsua Waterproof Boots' in size 10 (Sale cost $50+tax, original cost: $140) . They are built to cost. nice leather, very comfortable and able break-in on day 1. They have gaiter to stop water ingress. The Ankle protection is average. Tourmaster had better one. Hope this shoe serves me for two years minimum.

The Riding Gear thread-whatsapp-image-20240626-4.27.36-pm-1.jpeg

The Riding Gear thread-whatsapp-image-20240626-4.27.36-pm.jpeg

The Riding Gear thread-whatsapp-image-20240626-4.27.35-pm.jpeg

The Riding Gear thread-inner-lining.jpeg

The Riding Gear thread-whatsapp-image-20240626-4.27.34-pm-1.jpeg

The Riding Gear thread-old-shoe.jpeg

Gloves:
Purchased NORU SOKUDO GLOVE , size L - cost $25 after discount(original: $70). they are full gauntlet gloves and with ventilation. Ready to use from day1 and no need to breakin. Comfortable to wear.

The Riding Gear thread-whatsapp-image-20240626-4.27.32-pm-3.jpeg
The Riding Gear thread-whatsapp-image-20240626-4.27.32-pm-1.jpeg
The Riding Gear thread-ventilation.jpeg

My old Gloves - AGV sport. Saved my knuckles in a slow slider
The Riding Gear thread-agv-gloves-2.jpeg
The Riding Gear thread-agv-gloves.jpeg
HTC is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th June 2024, 02:15   #5022

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
Not sure if you wear glasses. If yes, no need to get pinlock as in my experience the visor stays clear but the glasses fog up anyway. I have now removed the pinlock insert from my helmet.
I do not wear glasses . So , if dont use pinlock then it will fog up for sure during rainy and chilly days. Hence , need pinlock for sure :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
Decathlon rain gear may not be comfortable to wear over riding gear. I have faced this because I have the Decathlon raincoat which I've had to wear a couple of times over my riding jacket. Hence look for pants that come with liners from factory. I use the Rynox Airtex riding pants that are level 2 and come with winter and rain liners (Rs. 7250)
Out of these shortlisted pants, which would you recommend?

Rynox Stealth Air Pro - ₹7,950
Rynox Stealth Evo Pants - ₹8,950
ViaTerra Miller Riding Pant - ₹8,000

Unfortunately, the ViaTerra Spencer riding pants weren't available. If none of these seem ideal, can someone suggest other great touring riding pants under ₹10,000?

I'm also looking for full gauntlet riding gloves for around ₹6,000. Any recommendations?
Zoro007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2024, 07:57   #5023
BHPian

Quote:

The viaterra is the only one that comes with all liners. Would suggest you try these out at a store and see which one fits you best. If you go with the rynox options, you can always buy their H2GO rain pants separately
boniver is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2024, 08:04   #5024
BHPian

Quote:

Unfortunately, the ViaTerra Spencer riding pants weren't available. If none of these seem ideal, can someone suggest other great touring riding pants under ₹10,000?

I'm also looking for full gauntlet riding gloves for around ₹6,000. Any recommendations?
Out of the 3 you mentioned, I would pick the Viaterra. Simply because I have found their jacket & pant fit to be excellent. Their gloves, not so much. Although they are all of the highest quality.

I have had experience with the Rynox Stealth Air Pro myself for very long duration and I can also vouch for those. But their hip armour placement was a tad bit odd although not at all cumbersome or bothersome. I found that I could feel the hip armour being there, whereas, not so on the Viaterra.
The other big bonus with the Spencer pants that I have, is the stretch panels at the crotch. Big big bonus. This is especially helpful when you found that your pants have slipped down a bit and have suddenly reduced your inseam. And in a tricky situation, that's the difference between being able to keep your foot down vs not.

Regarding gloves, I have had the Viaterra Grid in the past. Most excellent pair of gloves. I have also had the Holeshot. My only gripe is that on both of them, I ended up having knuckle redness after a long day's ride. On the right. Not painful. But it was a telling sign that their knuckle protector wasn't sitting well on my hands.

I currently have the Rynox Storm Evo 3. I found them to fit perfectly right from the get go. Evidently, the leather on these is thinner than the Viaterra's, so this hardly requires breaking in. I have not found any issues with these gloves so far. You may try them out.

With gloves and helmet being the one thing that sits on sensitive ends of the body, I find that I'm willing to stretch my budget to accommodate higher levels of comfort (aside from the safety aspect, which always comes first). I don't want to end up hating my riding gear ultimately. Reduce mental, and physical stress essentially.

Have a great trip Zoro007!
Remember, photos, or it didn't happen

Last edited by shyamg28 : 27th June 2024 at 08:05.
shyamg28 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2024, 12:53   #5025
BHPian

A quick question to all the riders lurking on the thread.

I wanted to buy a good pair of riding gloves and since I have a friend flying down from the States next month, I was contemplating getting a pair from there.

So, what would be a good value for money pair of riding gloves. In terms of quality, comfort and pricing. I would prefer the short cuff type and wouldn't want to go full gauntlet, and I will be mainly using them for my highway rides. Also since I am in Kerala, I would want something that holds up well during the rains. Would leather make sense for the climate?

Also what about jackets? I don't want to spend much, but wouldn't mind spending on something which gives great value.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks