Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2024, 18:46   #4891
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Guys, for riding jackets, between the Tarmac Corsa (with Safetech protectors) and the DSG Race Pro V2, which one would be a better bet?

Both have CE Level 2 armor for Elbows, Shoulder, Back and Chest and both have a hump for added protection.
The price difference is Rs.1000 only (the DSG more expensive)

Request your inputs
Old 25th March 2024, 20:29   #4892
Senior - BHPian

Need opinion on the below two boots for everyday in city riding:
  1. Royal Enfield Huntsman -
  2. Gadsyll Maverick -

Which to pick ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadrasMechanic View Post
Here is where I am stuck with. I want to get a riding boot under 7k. After reading through this thread, I have sidelined Orazo, and Raida for now.

I am conflicted between the two and would appreciate your inputs. The Solace website says the Street Ace is CE certified to EN ISO 20345 standard which I believe is related to Safety Boots? (pardon my ignorance if I am wrong)
As per a reviewer / influencer on Insta, the safety boots (apparently Orazo is such) have Steel toe caps which are not good incase of an accident. Apparently what you need is PU flexible padding which can flex / move without hurting the toe / foot. Apparently Gadsyll is PU protected.

While Insta can keep saying all good things and I'll take all that with a bag full of salt, I want to hear real world reviews here before plonking money on them.

Last edited by Axe77 : 25th March 2024 at 21:35. Reason: Merging back to back posts. As requested.
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 15:30   #4893

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
As per a reviewer / influencer on Insta, the safety boots (apparently Orazo is such) have Steel toe caps which are not good incase of an accident. Apparently what you need is PU flexible padding which can flex / move without hurting the toe / foot. Apparently Gadsyll is PU protected.

While Insta can keep saying all good things and I'll take all that with a bag full of salt, I want to hear real world reviews here before plonking money on them.
Hi MileCruncher,

I saw a bunch of reels that talked about Steel toe caps as well. Logically, it made sense, as Safety Boots are primarily used to prevent crushing load from the top surface and not for sliding purposes.

As Shyamg28 recommended, I checked out the Cabo WP shoes. It was very nice, but I didn't like the additional strap-on for the gear shifter. Not convenient at all!

I finally ended up buying the Gadsyll Maverick 44/10 last week. I visited their factory and spoke with their design head. Seems like they've put a lot of effort into designing their boots.

I tried both their G-Star 11-inch boot as well as the Mavericks. The fit for the G-Star was not great as my calf was a tad bigger and the zipper would not go up completely. The team at Gadsyll offered to make customized boots if I wanted. However, since I liked the fit of the Maverick better and I didn't really need the tall boot now, I was happy to go with the Mavericks.

Reasons why I chose the Gadsyll Maverick:

1. Full Leather Construction - They've used oiled leather for the shoe's upper region. It will repel water to an extent, I believe.
2. Protection - The TPU protectors on the toe, heel, and ankle are the same as the long boots. It is not CE certified, but they're confident it's on par with the likes of Falco, Forma, TCX, etc. (I liked their confidence in saying this )
3. Features - The Mavericks have an inbuilt gear shifter patch and it also has a lace strap to prevent it from dangling around. The laces don't need to be adjusted every time as you can use the YKK zips to get in and out of the boots. It's pretty convenient in my opinion.
4. Made by enthusiasts - my personal take, but I liked how the designer spoke passionately about motorcycling, their company, and the effort into designing the boots. His gave me confidence that they would have ensured their products do well even when competing against up-market brands.

Since buying them, I have done a 200km ride with them. While it's still breaking in, the shoes seem very comfortable for long rides and city rides as well. It is not waterproof like the Cabos (because of the zip on the side but it should be able to take some minor splashes or light rains). It is comfortable to walk in, unlike some riding boots, and looks pretty good too.

Hope this helps your purchase decision! If you're in and around Chennai, do drop by Gadsyll's factory if you're keen on buying them! Good conversation and a discount guaranteed!

Cheers!
Deepak
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-img_1002.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_1003.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_1004.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_1005.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_1006.jpg  

MadrasMechanic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 16:23   #4894
BHPian

My two cents:

1. The Gadsyll seems much more comfortable for all-day use and are more like a pair of robust trekking/hiking boots!
The Riding Gear thread-gadsyll.jpg

2. Personally, I would prefer a pair of Amaroq boots which seems to have much rigid construction and the leathers can be taken care of.
The Riding Gear thread-amaroq.jpg

Currently, I'm using a pair of RE boots (4 years old) for my casual rides.
The Riding Gear thread-img_20240323_082339.jpg
RE boots (bottom), RExTCX Cabo boots (right) & Raida boots (left) put to good use!

Ride safe,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 21:44   #4895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I finally ended up buying the Gadsyll Maverick 44/10 last week.

I tried both their G-Star 11-inch boot as well as the Mavericks. The fit for the G-Star was not great as my calf was a tad bigger and the zipper would not go up completely.
I got mine a little while back from a store who had to order it because the size wasn't available. Interestingly Gadsyll is not available on any of the online platforms except their own.

Wore it from the shop on the ride back home. Ended up walking a bit as well.

First impressions:
  1. They are very comfortable. For a person with wide toe, I like the room up front.
  2. The shoes are stiff and need breaking into.
  3. In the tiger, the space between foot peg and gear lever is not much and initially i had problems upshifting. Have figured a way. Unless the shoes break in, this will remain a problem
  4. The Riding Gear thread-20240326_211304.jpg The blue line area needs to start flexing soon else riding will get tricky
  5. I like the leather and the finish.
  6. Packing is next level with paper packing, followed by brown paper roll up followed by blue bag in a brown shoe box.

For Rs 6500, I think they are pretty good!

Last edited by MileCruncher : 26th March 2024 at 21:46.
MileCruncher is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2024, 00:55   #4896
BHPian

Couldn't help but notice Gadsyll's extreme similarity in branding with Gaerne boots

The Riding Gear thread-gadsyll.png

Name:  gaerne.png
Views: 510
Size:  317.8 KB
b16h22 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2024, 09:19   #4897
BHPian

Quote:
...I checked out the Cabo WP shoes. It was very nice, but I didn't like the additional strap-on for the gear shifter. Not convenient at all!

I finally ended up buying the Gadsyll Maverick 44/10 last week. I visited their factory and spoke with their design head. Seems like they've put a lot of effort into designing their boots.
I too hate the strap on shifter. In any case, it fell off as usual and I'm now left with how God originally intended shoes to be used I guess.
And as expected scuff marks have made their way onto the shoes. It's not in my destiny to simply get a pair of black boots

An update on them - my heel does begin to hurt through the day. As someone had suggested, I will try Decathlon soles as replacement.

The Riding Gear thread-20240327_090903.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20240327_090851.jpg

The Gadsyll boots do seem worth checking out. Do keep us updated on how they hold through.
shyamg28 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th March 2024, 10:10   #4898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
In the tiger, the space between foot peg and gear lever is not much and initially i had problems upshifting. Have figured a way. Unless the shoes break in, this will remain a problem.

The blue line area needs to start flexing soon else riding will get trick
Dear Sir,
Just adjust the gear lever position in a way all your riding boots fit the shifter. Adventure boots are even stiffer and bigger so this can't be an issue!

Ride safe,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 13:00   #4899
BHPian

Given anyone who comes to this thread is seeking opinion on what to buy and at least contemplating on whether they should spend any of their hard earned cash of gears (instead of a slightly higher budget bike), here's a case in point to make the decision easier.

Background: I am a ATGATT (as much as possible) guy. As a basic rule, in Mumbai I wear my helmet, Viaterra full gauntlet gloves and Rynox Cypher Mesh Jacket whenever I take my bike within the city. For longer rides, Mesh jacket is replaced by textile (Rynox Tornado) and full-length boots + pants are added. Same goes for my pillion. As a broken record, I work full-time to get all my family and friends to wear as much as gear as possible (accounting for constraints such as storage at destination. PS - top box is god sent).

Incident: A week ago I decided to ride to work because of the Monday morning itch to get behind my ADV 390 (recently switched to CityFlo to clawback time from Mumbai traffic). In less than 2 kms from home I was sideways on tarmac.

Why? Oil Spill

Outcome? Gashed knee and a major impact on my shoulder muscle.

My mistakes?
  • I could have avoided the oil, but given the oil spill was under the shadow of the bridge, it was too late by the time I noticed it. In less than 2 seconds of my tyre touching the oil, I was sideways.
  • I decided to skip my Rynox Cypher Jacket because I had to carry my sweater back to office (to beat the AC). BIG MISTAKE. If only I was wearing my jacket, I would have walked away with only a knee gash. However because my shoulder was the first point of impact (which my L2 jacket protector would have majorly absorbed otherwise), I was in immense pain with no strength or mobility left for immediate action. I was lucky no bones were broken.
  • I was wearing my gloves and helmet, hence the skin of hand and wrist remained completely unharmed.

Please note this happened at <30 kmph (luckily because it happened within few seconds of starting from a red light).

My case for ATGATT is just underlined by everything that happened. If I was at a higher speed (even 50-60 is not uncommon on the EEH), I would have been worse off.

Fellow BHP-ians, spend that moolah and that extra bit of effort to gear up whenever possible. Indian roads are unpredictable and sometimes all you can do is minimize the impact (and not avoid). Blame comes later, injuries come first. Hope this helps.

My dash cam cum intercom (The Safe Riding thread) came handy. Sharing the footage to show how quickly things can go wrong.

Ride safe.

Last edited by Malliketh : 28th March 2024 at 13:02. Reason: Minor edits
Malliketh is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 16:38   #4900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malliketh View Post
Please note this happened at <30 kmph (luckily because it happened within few seconds of starting from a red light).
Sorry to hear about your spill. Hope you heal quick.

Interesting to note that the scooter guy alongside you initially, took exactly the same line, in front of you, and did not go down.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 18:11   #4901
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Sorry to hear about your spill. Hope you heal quick.

Interesting to note that the scooter guy alongside you initially, took exactly the same line, in front of you, and did not go down.

Cheers, Doc
Thanks doc, almost back to normal.

If you look closely, his thin wheels perfectly tread between the two strips of oil. My fat 130 rear tyre couldn't tread the line that well and boom.
Malliketh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 00:41   #4902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malliketh View Post
Ride safe.
Oh man, glad to know you are safe, it could have been far worse. Thank you for sharing your mishap for our learning and spreading the importance of wearing all the gear, all the time.

Ride safe and take care.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 09:53   #4903
BHPian

Hope you are fine now.

I had a similar incident 10 days back. In my case, I was on my Bounce Infinity going to pick my niece to drop her to school and there was semi dried concrete mixture dropped on the road by those concrete trucks.

Add to this, an activa scooter on the left passed a stray cow which started to move and came directly in my path. To avoid hitting it, I tried to pass with cow from the right and the scooter skid off that concrete mixture dropping and I was on sprawled on the road in a flash.

My left knee got cut and started bleeding (thankfully no internal injury) along with bruises on both my legs. almost recovered now but still can't bend my left knee fully
Old 29th March 2024, 10:15   #4904
Senior - BHPian

All the gear all the time is surely doable for guys who have access to a proper change area and storage for the gear you take off, as well as things like office shoes (even if you carry your fresh set of work clothes un a backpack).

In addition to that, the time taken for this change-over. And the sight of you coming into the office in front of everyone like a black Ninja.

The other option that most of us follow is our workday clothes and shoes, a pair of short cuff gloves, a helmet, and a normal non-riding jacket that can be worn and not look out of place in an office or mall.

The gloves go inside your helmet in the parking, and the jacket comes off in your workplace.

Even if you wear a relatively sober riding jacket, as the above examples have shown, that still leaves your hips and knees and feet open to injury. And to protect those, you need proper riding pants and boots. And those cannot be worn at work all day. Not even riding jeans. Especially with kevlar.

If I had a long-ish commute at highway speeds, all of the above goes out of the window, and I dress for the ride.

But 10-15 even 20 km inside the city, the above is the workable option I and most commuters use. Happy to try out something new if someone has a better suggestion.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 29th March 2024 at 10:16.
ebonho is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 10:53   #4905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
All the gear all the time is surely doable for guys who have access to a proper change area and storage for the gear you take off, as well as things like office shoes (even if you carry your fresh set of work clothes un a backpack).

In addition to that, the time taken for this change-over. And the sight of you coming into the office in front of everyone like a black Ninja.

The other option that most of us follow is our workday clothes and shoes, a pair of short cuff gloves, a helmet, and a normal non-riding jacket that can be worn and not look out of place in an office or mall.

The gloves go inside your helmet in the parking, and the jacket comes off in your workplace.

Even if you wear a relatively sober riding jacket, as the above examples have shown, that still leaves your hips and knees and feet open to injury. And to protect those, you need proper riding pants and boots. And those cannot be worn at work all day. Not even riding jeans. Especially with kevlar.

If I had a long-ish commute at highway speeds, all of the above goes out of the window, and I dress for the ride.

But 10-15 even 20 km inside the city, the above is the workable option I and most commuters use. Happy to try out something new if someone has a better suggestion.

Cheers, Doc
I agree with Doc.

In city short rides, getting the full gear on is a logistical pain. I looking to explore if a compression inner with body armour topped up with jersey is a solution. As regards to boots, I have kept an city ride ride boot separate from long touring boot. The only exposed part is the lower limb. My solution to that is wearing hard denims instead of these lycra mixed soft cloth denims. That way atleast the abrasion resistance is higher.

And offcourse ride very very carefully and give all other extra enthu people a wide pass!

Afterall "my life is my asset"
MileCruncher is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks