Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2024, 21:47   #4831
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratik_terni View Post
Hi All,

I have enrolled for a track day session with CSS in February. Unfortunately (unlike RACR), they do not have an option to rent riding gear.
I have been thinking of buying/upgrading gear that will help me with the track days as well as short/long rides.

After going through the last few pages of this thread, i have come up with the following list:
Before you proceed to buy anything, first confirm whether they allow trackdays without full leathers. If it's to be held in MMRT Or Kari, I doubt whether the marshals will allow entry in the racetrack without those. I have not been to karting circuits like those in Bangalore and Hyderabad, so can't comment on the rules there.

Once you confirm and proceed to buy the gear, all the ones you mentioned are not enough for a trackday. You have chosen semi gauntlet glove, short boots, and textile pants which are not the best in terms of protection. So pls confirm whether they permit textile pants , jackets and short boots for trackdays and then the more experienced chaps here can guide you to the right gear.
Thamps is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 22:09   #4832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamps View Post
Before you proceed to buy anything, first confirm whether they allow trackdays without full leathers. If it's to be held in MMRT Or Kari, I doubt whether the marshals will allow entry in the racetrack without those. I have not been to karting circuits like those in Bangalore and Hyderabad, so can't comment on the rules there.

Once you confirm and proceed to buy the gear, all the ones you mentioned are not enough for a trackday. You have chosen semi gauntlet glove, short boots, and textile pants which are not the best in terms of protection. So pls confirm whether they permit textile pants , jackets and short boots for trackdays and then the more experienced chaps here can guide you to the right gear.
Thanks for your reply @Thamps and that's a valid point. I posted the query after checking the riding gear requirements on CSS page. I am attaching a pic from CSS page with details of riding gear requirements.

I'll call them again tomorrow to confirm and update here.
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-riding-gear-css.png  

pratik_terni is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 22:52   #4833
BHPian

For those anyone considering Solace Speedtech V2 Boots

I purchased this boots in 2022 December and have done about 13300 kms until now. Indian brands used to be affordable for entry level customers like me, but the prices have gone up reasonably. The decent quality ones are not too far away now. I had earlier used BBG calf boots for 20000 kms which took the abuse quite well. But the downsides being not flexible enough like Solace and not comfortable for extended periods (more than 8hrs).

The start was itself quite a mess. The screws for the toe sliders were not tightened properly from factory and I lost it somewhere midway during my first ride with this. The plastic guard had a screw missing too. I called up the place where I purchased and he was quite helpful is sourcing all the required parts. This time I used thread lockers while tightening. And this was not an isolated event too. Another Bhpian purchased the same boots 2 months after me, he had also lost few screws. They should atleast include a note for the seller to tighten all the screws while handing it over to customers.

Now, the Solace Speedtech V2 is quite comfortable and flexible enough for walking in comparison to BBG. I know the manufacturers dont recommend for using it in rain. But this being my only boots, I use it for all the rides, which sometime may force me to ride 4 days in continuous rain (I did use rain cover).

I dont know if this level of degradation is normal, the plastic clip has broken, the inner lining doesn't stay inside while dismounting, the outside layer has started to peel and the sole has started to detach.

The Riding Gear thread-20240102_213436.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20240102_213445.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20240102_213453.jpg

Last edited by Vignesh_N/A : 14th January 2024 at 23:07.
Vignesh_N/A is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th January 2024, 03:09   #4834
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your reply @Thamps and that's a valid point. I posted the query after checking the riding gear requirements on CSS page. I am attaching a pic from CSS page with details of riding gear requirements.

I'll call them again tomorrow to confirm and update here.
Hello Pratik,

Please note that the upper and lower (jacket and pant ) must be zippered together. This will prevent the jacket from riding up and exposing skin when sliding. This is mandatory on track. Please reconfirm whether textile is allowed on track as TWO school clearly mentions that a single piece leathers are only allowed on track. This requirement prevented me from going to the track school

Get in touch with RACR and see whether you can rent a leather from them for your dates.
skviknaraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2024, 22:23   #4835
BANNED

I'm looking for a jacket for commuting within 6K. I've selected some like:

1. Rynox Helium GT 2 Jacket
2. Viaterra Fender jacket
3. Solace AIR-X Jacket v2

Which is the best option among these? Please advise.
mithun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 00:32   #4836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
I'm looking for a jacket for commuting within 6K.
Since you’ve mentioned that you want to commute, it would be best to try and wear each of them for a slightly longer period of tint to understand how comfortable you are.

Small things like how the collar is going to be, how the cut of the jacket would be when you’re on your bike and maneuvering, how the cuffs and sleeves fit over office clothing, and other key aspects that would be critical for daily use, will be what you need to look for.

Also, the RE Streetwind is a nice option too, please check it out. Here’s a post by Neil on the same. RE Streetwind on TeamBHP (The Riding Gear thread)
kaushalswarup is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 12:14   #4837
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushalswarup View Post
Since you’ve mentioned that you want to commute, it would be best to try and wear each of them for a slightly longer period of tint to understand how comfortable you are.

Small things like how the collar is going to be, how the cut of the jacket would be when you’re on your bike and maneuvering, how the cuffs and sleeves fit over office clothing, and other key aspects that would be critical for daily use, will be what you need to look for.

Also, the RE Streetwind is a nice option too, please check it out. Here’s a post by Neil on the same. RE Streetwind on TeamBHP (The Riding Gear thread)
I will test the RE jacket.

I've tested them briefly, but I'm looking for advice since all the three comes with three different brands of protectors(Cerros Zero-G vs Safe-Tech vs Powertector).
mithun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 14:27   #4838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
I've tested them briefly, but I'm looking for advice since all the three comes with three different brands of protectors(Cerros Zero-G vs Safe-Tech vs Powertector).
Understood. Hope others with more info on this will respond. It's good for other BHPians to understand the differences and which would be better.

Talking armour, D3O would have the most comfortable options out there, in my opinion, owing to the extremely flexible and soft nature of the armour in normal conditions. You could switch out the default armour from offerings by D3O.
kaushalswarup is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 15:07   #4839
BHPian

Looking to get a bit of advice on riding gear.

I'm getting a 390 adventure soon, and want a good second set of riding gear.

I'm 173cms, and currently obese, being quite big in my midsection. This brings its own set of problems, notwithstanding the health problems, primary of which is the issue of non-fitting riding jackets & pants.

My primary set that I currently have, is as follows:
Helmet: Bell MX-9 Adventure
Jacket: Solace Customised touring jacket
Pants: Viaterra Spencer 'short' riding pants
Gloves: Held Air-n-Dry
Boots: Forma Adventure Boots (High)

I'm looking to get the following to supplement my primary set:
Helmet: LS2 Storm II
Gloves: Viaterra Shifter
Boots: RE e39.

I'm going to have to go to many shops here in Bangalore to try out jackets and pants that would be both comfortable and fitting correctly. Any folks who are similarly bigger in the midsection, what kind of riding gear do you'll use?

I've been going through this thread to find boots in the 5-12k range, and having had a pair of the RE e39s previously, I can vouch for the comfort and protection. If there's any suggestions for boots in this price range, please do share.

Any info on the storm 2, as well as the viaterra shifter gloves, would be helpful.
kaushalswarup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 17:03   #4840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushalswarup View Post

I'm going to have to go to many shops here in Bangalore to try out jackets and pants that would be both comfortable and fitting correctly. Any folks who are similarly bigger in the midsection, what kind of riding gear do you'll use?
Fellow mid section plus sizer here. I am currently using Rev'it Sand 4 jacket and trousers. To fit my belly, I had to upsize and do with the extra length on the arms and legs. Using the cinch straps at the fore arm, calf to keep the armor some what in check.

If you have the budget, why not try out placing a custom order on Viaterrra for their Munro series. The latest iteration is completely made to order for ones measurement.

I have been eyeing the Munro line for sometime and they are in the list when I will need to get another set of gears.
skviknaraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 11:07   #4841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skviknaraj View Post
Hello Pratik,

Please note that the upper and lower (jacket and pant ) must be zippered together. This will prevent the jacket from riding up and exposing skin when sliding. This is mandatory on track. Please reconfirm whether textile is allowed on track as TWO school clearly mentions that a single piece leathers are only allowed on track. This requirement prevented me from going to the track school

Get in touch with RACR and see whether you can rent a leather from them for your dates.
I checked with RACR and they said they would check on the option to rent gear. They confirmed that they only allow leather gear, not textile. Solace EVO XT shoes and full gauntlet gloves like Viaterra Grid are acceptable though.

As per CSS guidelines, armored textiles are ok but I've been having a tough time reaching out to CSS to get a proper guidance on this. I'll try again today.

Can you please comment on what happened in your case? Did you enroll and were not allowed on track once you reached on D-day? Or you couldn't enroll because of lack of leathers?
pratik_terni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 14:34   #4842
BHPian

Decided to buy most of my riding gear before taking delivery of my Interceptor, mid-February. All of them arrived over the last couple of weeks, and here they are in their full glory

1. Rynox Urban X Jacket 2023 Camo Grey-Black

The Riding Gear thread-img20240121140720.jpg

This jacket fit is extremely snug. The newer model feels more solidly built than the outgoing model. Cerros-G armor is the new update, and these feel really solid. Haven't used them out on the road yet, but I feel like I they are quite easy to get used to. Mine is a size M and it is the exact fit. Tried out the outgoing version before buying this online from the Rynox store.

Price: INR 7750

2. Viaterra Shifter gloves

The Riding Gear thread-img20240121135151.jpg
The Riding Gear thread-img20240121135158.jpg
The Riding Gear thread-img20240121135212.jpg

These gloves sit above the Holeshot and below the Grid full gauntlet. These semi gauntlet gloves are completely leather construction and feel rugged. I recently got a chance to try the Holeshot at a store and they have mesh construction in several parts of the glove. I decided to go for the full leather Shifter for added protection. They come with a tiny buckle to help keep both the gloves together. Very thoughtful! Got this in a size M.

Price: INR 5000

3. Rynox Vapour Pro balaclava:

The Riding Gear thread-img20240121135337.jpg

Tried and tested balaclava by several BHPians, this is one of the best ones for city riding, thanks to the stretchy and absorbent fabric used in its construction. I will be using this for daily COMMUTING. Mine is a size M.

Price: INR 600

4. TIIVRA Check-Mate balaclava:

The Riding Gear thread-img20240121135302.jpg
The Riding Gear thread-img20240121135308.jpg

This one has different material than the Rynox. Softer cotton blend and stretchy material at tear prone areas. Very well thought out product and feels very premium. I would be using this for highway stints.

Price: INR 750

5. Night goggles:

The Riding Gear thread-img20240121135237.jpg

These were included for night riding. They are yellow and will help with annoying high-beam driver that plague our highways.

Price: INR 250

6. Rynox H2GO Pro 3 Rain Jacket:

The Riding Gear thread-img20240121135355.jpg

Haven't had the chance to use this outside to test out the waterproofing capabilities, but it feels built to withstand any downpour. Got these in a size L to wear over the jacket. Went for the Solace Rainpro V3 jacket, but they did not clear the quality test at Bikester Global.

Price: INR 1450

7. Mototech Bungee cords (set of 2):

The Riding Gear thread-img20240121135341.jpg

Once again, haven't had the chance to actually use it. In fact, I haven't even opened them. Waiting to try them out with regular backpacks, in case I feel like suddenly heading out to some distant destination

Price: INR 450

8. LS2 Vector 2 Tropical Gloss Helmet:

The Riding Gear thread-img20240121135449.jpg
The Riding Gear thread-img20240121135453.jpg
The Riding Gear thread-img20240121135457.jpg
The Riding Gear thread-img20240121135504.jpg
The Riding Gear thread-img20240121135410.jpg

Saved the best for last. This helmet is of superior quality and is built like a tank. Complete with ECE 22.06, this is a touring helmet that is a bit overkill for everyday use, but I will get used to it.

Important thing to note here. Except the jacket and the gloves, which I bought from the company stores, everything else was bought from the Bikester global online store. Everything arrived perfectly, except the helmet accessories. The big white LS2 bag that is included with the helmet pack, the Pin lock film, the neck roll and the spectacles attachment, we're all missing from my order because they had packed all the other items into the helmet box. I was furious that they were looting unaware customers like this. Luckily, I was aware of what I was supposed to receive. Raised a complaint with the Bikester global team with a side note that I will post about this on Team-BHP - they promptly responded and told me that they will be sending it out on the next courier. Apart from this, I had no issues whatsoever with their service.

Price: INR 19,500

Looking forward to getting on the bike with all of these gears and testing them out in real-time.

Last edited by vishal.jayakuma : 21st January 2024 at 14:38. Reason: Price addition
vishal.jayakuma is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 09:47   #4843
BHPian

Quote:
I checked with RACR and they said they would check on the option to rent gear. They confirmed that they only allow leather gear, not textile. Solace EVO XT shoes and full gauntlet gloves like Viaterra Grid are acceptable though.

As per CSS guidelines, armored textiles are ok but I've been having a tough time reaching out to CSS to get a proper guidance on this. I'll try again today.

Can you please comment on what happened in your case? Did you enroll and were not allowed on track once you reached on D-day? Or you couldn't enroll because of lack of leathers?
This is their official requirement -
https://www.superbikeschoolindia.com...dinggears.html
I found it to be a bit confusing given I'd heard that leathers are mandatory, along with a Double-D ring fastend helmet. So I reached out.

I've confirmed with CSS the following -

- textile riding gear, with jacket & pants zipped together. Leathers are preferable but not mandatory.
- full gauntlet gloves like the Viaterra Grid.
- leather based riding boots that allow the pants to go into them ideally. Again the point being, in case you end up rolling or sliding, the pants should not slide up exposing your skin.
- ISI, ECE and DOT certified helmets. Funny thing is, mine is a micrometric fastener and not a Double-D ring. But they confirmed that will do too.

For all the above, I essentially sent them an extensive email with photos of all my riding gear. And one of the coaches confirmed.

Here's the email ID -
California Superbike School India <superbikeschoolindia@gmail.com>

If you wish to rent leathers, DM me, I can provide you a contact. I'm trying to source myself

Last edited by shyamg28 : 22nd January 2024 at 09:49.
shyamg28 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 13:07   #4844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
This is their official requirement -
https://www.superbikeschoolindia.com...dinggears.html
I found it to be a bit confusing given I'd heard that leathers are mandatory, along with a Double-D ring fastend helmet. So I reached out.

I've confirmed with CSS the following -

- textile riding gear, with jacket & pants zipped together. Leathers are preferable but not mandatory.
- full gauntlet gloves like the Viaterra Grid.
- leather based riding boots that allow the pants to go into them ideally. Again the point being, in case you end up rolling or sliding, the pants should not slide up exposing your skin.
- ISI, ECE and DOT certified helmets. Funny thing is, mine is a micrometric fastener and not a Double-D ring. But they confirmed that will do too.

For all the above, I essentially sent them an extensive email with photos of all my riding gear. And one of the coaches confirmed.

Here's the email ID -
California Superbike School India <superbikeschoolindia@gmail.com>

If you wish to rent leathers, DM me, I can provide you a contact. I'm trying to source myself
Hi Shyam, thanks for the clarification above. Is there a way in which your response can be pinned for quick reference because this will help future CSS attendees?

I decided to rent gear for the upcoming as well as any future track events. I will still buy gear for my personal needs (not track). I need to finalize on a budget considering my current ride as well as my near future plan of moving to the middleweight segment. I shall post an updated question here once I have some clarity on this.

With regards to renting gear, please let me know if you want me to share contact details of the person I rented it from, I can DM you.

Have you also opted for the upcoming Feb 2nd event with CSS?
pratik_terni is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 14:00   #4845
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Shyam, thanks for the clarification above. Is there a way in which your response can be pinned for quick reference because this will help future CSS attendees?

I decided to rent gear for the upcoming as well as any future track events. I will still buy gear for my personal needs (not track). I need to finalize on a budget considering my current ride as well as my near future plan of moving to the middleweight segment. I shall post an updated question here once I have some clarity on this.

With regards to renting gear, please let me know if you want me to share contact details of the person I rented it from, I can DM you.

Have you also opted for the upcoming Feb 2nd event with CSS?
I'm expecting a neat detailed write-up about the event and all things surrounding it by a couple of gents on this forum That should act as encyclopaedia for all.

I'm attending Jan 26-28th, L1/2/3. Looks like we will miss each other by a week. All the best!

I would be grateful if you could DM me the contact for renting gear.

Off-topic, the more people I speak with, the more I'm getting a hint that track riding is addictive. At the same time, the best way to practice and implement the learnings. Those that rented earlier, decided to buy leathers later on as an investment anyway.
I will wait and watch how I feel and how things progress for me. But I have a bad feeling about my finances going forward
shyamg28 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks