Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2024, 14:12   #4816
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Check with Highlander in HSR Layout (link).

I bought my Falco Marshall boots from them. Very comfortable for all-day riding and very comfortable to walk with them on as well.
I did check with them last year during Nov-Dec and they did not have the full length boots that i needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanderlustdrv View Post
I bought them in July last year for my Pune to Ladakh solo ride. The best part about them is that they're very comfortable for an all day / multi day ride!
Thank you, i did pick a used Falco Avantour 2 up, albeit the rider had used it on a single ride from one of my riding groups. The person had used it for a single ride of 200 kms and wanted to sell it due to having a new born at home. Got a good deal and saved me half the hassle of breaking them in.
The boots were in good condition and the size was perfect for me. Assuming that we are not getting any new stock of the Falco Avantour 2's anymore this seemed like a good option for me. Gotta buy some buckle spares and call it a day.
aston_martyr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 14:15   #4817
BHPian

Already posted this in my Interceptor ownership thread, posting it here in the relevant thread for better reach. After using my ultra cheap multi utility ankle high canvas boots which I bought from Amazon almost 5 years ago when I bought the Interceptor, I finally got myself an entry level leather riding boots from Royal Enfield. The criteria for choosing were simple and straightforward- retro looks, all leather construction, basic safety features, light weight, can be worn as causals and affordable price. I got hooked on to leather riding boots from Royal Enfield and Trip Machine Company since both seemed to offer boots which matched most of my criteria. Amazon’s attractive discounts on RE boots during the new year simplified my choice further and shortlisted the RE Huntsman and RE Platoon. Finally chose the RE Platoon as it offered better features over the Huntsman like zipper for quick wear & removal, thicker soft padded inner ankle, better attention to details such as RE branding on the lace and better choice of colors for easier maintenance. The final price after discounts was Rs 3762. This is purely a heart over mind purchase just like my Interceptor and I didn’t dig deep into protection level, certification, material, brand etc.

First impressions are the shoes look properly retro, sturdy, well put together and worth the price I paid. The black and dark olive color combination looks classy and handles dust & dirt better than other lighter colors and compliments my olive color RE Panzer riding jacket. The boots offer snug fit-my size is 42/8, and feels light enough to walk and looks compact enough to be worn as casual attire if necessary. With the laces properly tied, the boots can be put on and removed with just the zipper which is pretty convenient while retaining the classic look of the laces. I initially ordered size 9 which was a bit loose so replaced with 8 which fits perfect. Tried walking inside the house and they felt good but stiff as they are new. Looking forward to try them on my next ride and let the leather to break-in. These boots will be primarily used for my short rides and occasionally to office.

The Royal Enfield Platoon riding boots.
The Riding Gear thread-royal-enfield-platoon-riding-boots-5.jpeg

Black & Dark Olive color combo
The Riding Gear thread-royal-enfield-platoon-riding-boots-1.jpeg

Color under direct sun light
The Riding Gear thread-royal-enfield-platoon-riding-boots-2.jpeg

Thicker padding in inner ankle
The Riding Gear thread-royal-enfield-platoon-riding-boots-3.jpeg

The Riding Gear thread-royal-enfield-platoon-riding-boots-4.jpeg
Torino is online now   (25) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 21:16   #4818
Senior - BHPian

Could anyone please recommend base layers - full sleeve top and full length pants?

I would prefer the non-armoured ones as I will be wearing my riding jacket and pants over these layers.

I know Rynox and Viaterra make them. Was advised to avoid Rynox.

Any feedback from personal experiences on Viaterra or other brands which are similarly priced?

Would these be an option although it mentions surfing?
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 22:02   #4819
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Could anyone please recommend base layers - full sleeve top and full length pants?

I would prefer the non-armoured ones as I will be wearing my riding jacket and pants over these layers.
For the bottom, I wear the soft ones Decathlon sells. I think the brand is Wedze but I can’t recall. They’re really lovely.

For the top, I just have 3 - 4 Nike Procombat from 2014/15 when I used to play football regularly which later I started wearing under my cycling jerseys once I started cycling. They work just fine and have just refused to die through all these years so they’ve graduated to motorcycle wear now. Not aware if Nike still sells them but if they do, they get a thumbs up from me.

Ironically never really bought any ones made by motorcycle gear companies. The decathlon ones I picked because they were really well priced and the top jerseys were already in my wardrobe so never bothered with buying anything else.

Last edited by Axe77 : 10th January 2024 at 22:04.
Axe77 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 22:23   #4820
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I know Rynox and Viaterra make them. Was advised to avoid Rynox.
n_aditya, there is absolutely no need to buy base layers from these riding gear companies. I use uppers and lower base layers from Nike and Kookaburra (yes, the same company that manufactures cricket balls and sports apparel). Just get any good product and it will surely serve you well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
Can someone please recommend an alternate (my requirement is waterproof, all weather pants) that I can try and buy in Bangalore? TIA!
I dont believe that there are other easily available options right now in Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanderlustdrv View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by that... IMO there's no such thing as waterproof pants. You need ventilated pants which are abrasion resistant and come with armours such as the Rynox Storm Evo which I used for my Pune to Ladakh ride. Very comfortable.
It did rain a couple of times I had carried Zeel rain trousers. I wore those instead of the Rynox pants. So no knee guards but my riding shoes are full length with good protection upto the shins so I was fine in the rains.
dwanderlustdrv, Ive used the Royal Enfield Tso Kar waterproof pants for thousands of kilometers, including several days of riding in the rain. It is waterproof. If you check the product details, you will see the following in the description.

The Riding Gear thread-1.jpg
neil.jericho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 13:10   #4821
BHPian

Came across these on the TVS website today. They recently announced a collaboration with Alpinestars. Not sure if this is a product related to that.

The Riding Gear thread-screenshot-20240111-125433.png

https://shop.tvsmotor.com/products/a...47526002426138

anilupadhya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 15:28   #4822
BHPian

Quote:
Try Heattech base layers from Uniqlo. They are paper thin and I have not come across anything else that comes remotely close to the warmth they provide including the one from Decathlon which I used prior to buying the ones from Uniqlo.
shabih is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 17:14   #4823
BHPian

Some new merch from RE?
https://store.royalenfield.com/en/wi...xl-48-cm-green
https://store.royalenfield.com/en/st...2xl-24cm-olive
https://store.royalenfield.com/en/ga...r-gloves-olive
The Riding Gear thread-new-merch.jpg
aston_martyr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 18:05   #4824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torino View Post
These boots will be primarily used for my short rides and occasionally to office.
Usually such shoes have a tendency to squeak on office tiles and floors. Do let us know if they are silent on such surfaces.

Thanks.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2024, 09:43   #4825
BHPian

Does any of the team members have any experiece with flip up /modular helmets? I am considering them for my daily commute and have shortlisted the Korda Discovery. Its priced around 6.5k. I believe SMK also have one model in the market.

I'm not really sure if this is the right lid to go for, but the convenience aspect is great despite the weight. I currently use a Scorpion R1 and thats a very lightweight snug fitting helmet, just that, on the daily commute stopping for errands requires constant removal and i think a modular is great in that respect. I also understand the safety aspect with modulars. Is there any other models I should be consider of should I look at only full face models?
Old 12th January 2024, 10:10   #4826
BHPian

I have the same boots and mine does squeak in the office tiled floors. Any idea how this can be managed to stop the embarrassing noise? Otherwise I wear them in all occasions and they are very comfortable.
sudipta is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2024, 21:32   #4827
BHPian

Bought TVS Racing's Riding boots recently. Ordered from their site for Rs. 4050 after 10% discount.
The boots seem to be well built, but is really light. Has ankle protection on both lateral and median side,Gear shift pad and
TPU toe sliders.
I wear a size 7 normally and no issues with the sizing.
The sole is not as stiff as Astars SMX1R. The heel and toe counters seems to have some level of protection inside, again not as protective as some of the premium level stuff.

But for 4k,I feel it's a damn good deal.Good finish and protection coupled with no loud graphics or stickers visible when worn with pants makes this a solid riding shoes which can be worn to any formal settings.
Fingers crossed for the longevity of the same. Attaching pics
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-img_20240112_211438.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_20240112_211212.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_20240112_211145.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_20240112_211138.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_20240112_211127.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_20240112_211103.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_20240112_211044.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_20240112_213432.jpg  

Last edited by Thamps : 12th January 2024 at 21:38.
Thamps is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 12th January 2024, 23:56   #4828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamps View Post
Bought TVS Racing's Riding boots recently. Ordered from their site for Rs. 4050 after 10% discount.
Are the uppers leather? They look very nice. Stylish. I like the red accents.

Cheers, Doc
Old 13th January 2024, 01:07   #4829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Are the uppers leather? They look very nice. Stylish. I like the red accents.

Cheers, Doc
Most probably not. They have advertised it as waterproof. I think it is not any microfiber either(considering the cost). So my guess would be some sort of artificial leather.
Thamps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 20:44   #4830
BHPian

Hi All,

I have enrolled for a track day session with CSS in February. Unfortunately (unlike RACR), they do not have an option to rent riding gear.
I have been thinking of buying/upgrading gear that will help me with the track days as well as short/long rides.

After going through the last few pages of this thread, i have come up with the following list:

Gloves:
Viaterra Holeshot owing to the multiple positive reviews on this thread

Pants:
Option 1: Royal Enfield TSO KAR RIDING TROUSERS-BLACK (this lacks the tailbone protector, no info on shin protector)
Option 2: SOLACE Riding Pants S30 V3 Black (no idea about the tail bone protector)
Option 3: SOLACE Riding Pants Coolpro V3 T | Black (not a fan of the extra side pockets)

Shoes:
Option 1: Royal Enfield E-39 SHORT RIDING BOOT - BLACK
Option 2: Orazo PICUS Waterproof MOTORCYCLE BOOTS
Option 3: SOLACE Riding Boots XT Evo

There was a time when the Orazo boots were recommended a lot. Are they not good enough now?

Jacket:
I have 7-8 year old Aspida(Spartan) Hyperion jacket which is still serving me well. I got it checked at Powersports and they suggested that the jacket and armor levels are good enough.
I will just have to get the back armor replaced since the old foam has disintegrated.
Should I be changing the jacket instead?

Please provide your valuable inputs regarding the selected options as well as the jacket.

Last edited by pratik_terni : 14th January 2024 at 21:11.
pratik_terni is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks