Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2023, 07:27   #4786

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikozaru View Post
If you won't do trackdays, get a touring boot. Track boots, at least the ones I've seen, including the Dainese Axial D1, TCX RT race, don't have level 2 crush protection. They are designed to solve a different threat profile which assumes run off areas, where safety means sliding off the track (which is not always possible when touring when lets say it slides you off into a river or a lake), so it focuses more on abrasion resistance than slow speed drops on bad or city roads. Another thing to consider is I've heard plastics on track boots are very squeaky and silicone grease fixes it (although I have no idea by about how much).

If you cannot try these boots out, also consider importing high end boots from Europe for about the same money.
Suggest some good touring boots to go for irrespective of its availability in India.
Old 15th December 2023, 12:50   #4787
BHPian

Anyone here using the Rynox Cypher GT or Solace Thrift full mesh jackets? Wanted to take feedback from the actual users on them. I already have a Rynox Stealth Air jacket, got that over Stealth Evo thinking it would be airy and would breathe better, but even in cool Bangalore conditions, its hard to ride in slow moving traffic and in frequent halt & run kinda rides. Moreover, the Stealth Air is quite heavy too, weighing at about 5KGs, making it difficult to use as a city jacket or the one to use for office rides.

Am looking for a simple, understated jacket, which doesn't scream out loud - "Hey look at me, am a biker..!!!"
Saw both the jackets in stores, got to try Rynox one, but did not have the required size for Solace Thrift, hence fit comparison is still pending. But overall from looks and touch, both the jackets feel cheap to be honest, especially comparing them with the higher end ones from their own stable, they certainly have cut corners to make it a budget jacket.

I also checked out the Rev'It Eclipse 2, its really nice, excellent fit n finish & feels premium, but its expensive and comes with only an L1 armor on shoulder & elbow, no back & chest protection too, yet about 3X cost of the aforementioned examples.
Any other options to suggest in the sub 6K budget for a quality full mesh jacket?
Old 15th December 2023, 13:26   #4788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezeRiDrives View Post
Any other options to suggest in the sub 6K budget for a quality full mesh jacket?
I'm in love with my old DSG. They have some nice looking mesh jackets. Light too. 2 kilos. A 5 kilo jacket is ridiculous.

Cheers, Doc
Old 17th December 2023, 22:06   #4789

Hi everyone,

Could someone please suggest good riding boots in the 5k range?

Thanks in advance!
Old 18th December 2023, 11:58   #4790
HTC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamind View Post
Suggest some good touring boots to go for irrespective of its availability in India.
Tour masters are decent. Won't break your bank
Old 18th December 2023, 12:10   #4791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezeRiDrives View Post
Anyone here using the Rynox Cypher GT or Solace Thrift full mesh jackets?
I am using Rynox Cypher GT Jacket for quite some time now. It is primary jacket and i use it for my highway rides. It is a mesh jacket with level 2 protectors and also has a chest padding. I feel its worth the price. In Kerala's hot and humid conditions its quite comfortable to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaraandspeed View Post
Hi everyone,

Could someone please suggest good riding boots in the 5k range?

Thanks in advance!
You can check out the Raida brand of Riding Boots. Its quite good. I am using a Raida riding boot for some time now.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th December 2023 at 13:22. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Kottayamkaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 10:05   #4792
BHPian

Does anyone here tour with protective base layers and a lightweight off road jacket/pants on top?
Anything over say, 5-6 days.
Keen to know what's the experience like.

The Rynox Raid offroad gear piqued my interest -
https://rynoxgear.com/collections/offroad-gear

The Riding Gear thread-untitled-picture.png

Last edited by shyamg28 : 21st December 2023 at 10:07.
shyamg28 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2023, 21:55   #4793
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
Does anyone here tour with protective base layers and a lightweight off road jacket/pants on top?

Attachment 2546530
I know a couple of TBHPians who ride with protective base layers. In summary, it works for them. Ill wait for them to chip in with their real world feedback.

But is there any reason why are you looking at off road gear for touring? It seems to be an unusual choice.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2023, 22:50   #4794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I know a couple of TBHPians who ride with protective base layers. In summary, it works for them. Ill wait for them to chip in with their real world feedback.

But is there any reason why are you looking at off road gear for touring? It seems to be an unusual choice.
Curiosity
Seemed unusual to me too. Until I heard of one or two people (not personally known to me) actually doing it.
Interested to know pros and cons from someone who's experienced it.
Old 22nd December 2023, 23:59   #4795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Curiosity
Seemed unusual to me too. Until I heard of one or two people (not personally known to me) actually doing it.
Interested to know pros and cons from someone who's experienced it.
Loads of guys do it. And wouldn't wear anything else. Most of them are primarily hardcore off-road and trail riders, and are so used to gearing up like that that they are just not comfortable with the protection they get from movable jacket and pant inserted armour. They want it firmly tethered to their bodies, and prefer wearing a shell over that. Shells that are airy, light, not stiff, and stretch (especially the lowers).

Here's a friend. Podium finisher at the recent MRF race in Pune. A shell upper, and Decathlon stretchy hiking pants. Not sure which.

The Riding Gear thread-img20231216wa00162.jpg

A friend in Australia who rode with the MAD Tv crew on their recent Mustang Valley, Nepal ride on Enfield Scrams, too prefers the same. Again, a Raid racer and trails rider.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 23rd December 2023 at 00:16.
ebonho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 19:56   #4796
BHPian

I recently got Gadsyll, an Indian brand, looks very similar to ridemaster, for 7K. Will share more details post some touring.

The sizing is very Indian with generous width. I did try a few Romanian and Italian ones.

Last edited by Axe77 : 29th December 2023 at 16:12. Reason: Minor spacing edit.
Old 29th December 2023, 15:44   #4797
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2546530
These cost as much as most Indian jackets with CE level 2 Armor and cordura. From a cost perspective, it doesn't make sense for tourers. A full textile (or part mesh) jacket would provide more protection while touring. But it's good that Indian companies have started making these; cheaper than Alpinestar. I'm waiting for a good CE level 2 full adv boot by them or any Indian brand.

Last edited by Axe77 : 29th December 2023 at 16:11. Reason: Minor spacing edit.
Senotrius is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2023, 16:09   #4798
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
These are generally preferred by off-roading / trail riders like even Neil and Ebonho mentioned. I haven’t personally used them for touring even though I have something similar for the top which I have occasionally combined with a riding jersey on short rides.

One advantage of these would be that because they’re well fitting base layers, the impact protective guards (which you can upgrade as you please to CE2 level protection) stay “in place” as opposed to guards which are in normal jackets / pants, which can move around a bit.

The other advantage I can think of is some of these have more impact protective pads than traditional riding pants. Riding pants have hip and knee protectors for impact and if you see these closely you’ll find a few more protectors (tail bone, side etc).

I have a pair of Leatt trail pants (“A-level” abrasion protection but no impact protection in them). I usually combined them with Leatt impact shorts and Leatt physical knee guards. I’d been toying with the idea of a full length base layer bottom to use inside the Leatt pants instead of these two as a combo. Options I was looking at are from Forcefield and Knox but this is not a priority purchase so no rush.

For touring I’d still say a proper textile / mesh (as per your preference) suit probably makes more sense but no reason you can’t do this either.

Last edited by Axe77 : 29th December 2023 at 16:12.
Axe77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th December 2023, 21:02   #4799
BHPian

Okay not sure where else I can post this but. I've just recently come across this post on reddit.
How does this even happen? Not sure what kind of motocross boots he was on, but he was wearing pretty good gear by the looks of it.

Is this just a case of wrong place wrong time? BTW I was browsing around for some ADV boots and this came up on my feed.

Link to the mishap [Not graphic] - https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cv5pu...RlODBiNWFlZA==

Link to his insta with the Xray of his leg- https://www.instagram.com/p/CwGVzg1u...RlODBiNWFlZA==

Last edited by Axe77 : 29th December 2023 at 21:35. Reason: Please use capital letters where needed.
aston_martyr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2023, 18:49   #4800
BHPian

NEWS: The TVS Racing And Alpinestars Collaboration: Revolutionizing Riding Gear

"A New Chapter in Riding Gear Excellence
In an exhilarating collaboration, TVS Racing and Alpinestars are redefining the world of motorcycle gear. This partnership marries the adrenaline of TVS Racing with the protective innovation of Alpinestars, heralding a new era for riders everywhere."

https://shop.tvsmotor.com/blogs/news...ng-riding-gear

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-...ding-gear.html (TVS Racing announces partnership with Alpinestars for riding gear)

Any idea when this will be available?
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-alpine.jpg  

Ashutosh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed