Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2023, 12:25   #4726
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguana View Post
Need your recommendations for the following gears for my new Himalayan.
I bought this a few months ago and did a few thousand kms with it. Very comfortable, has loads of grip and traction and very comfortable to walk too.

Jacket - go with the Royal Enfield Nirvik. I upgraded from my old Spartan Helios mesh jacket. The Nirvik is very well constructed and feels very premium. Only downside (for me) is that the inner pockets are way too low, almost near waist level which makes it uncomfortable to ride with the phone in the phone pocket. Another gripe is that the jacket is not very comfortable for riding in summers. If you need additional air ventilation, you need to remove the chest armor and open those vents.

Otherwise, the jacket is very good. Armor and protection is top notch. If you do end up buying other brands, you can still buy armor from RE and install it in your jacket/pants (link).

I'm using Rynox gloves for many years now and they have performed very well. Should last another couple of years at least.

Pants - go with this one. Very well constructed and good quality armor.

Last edited by n_aditya : 16th November 2023 at 12:27.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 15:39   #4727
BHPian

I am using an Axor Apex Hunter helmet for almost an year now. I had a THH full face helmet before. I have a different shaped head (bit pointed in the front). When I am wearing helmets for 1 hr or more my forehead and the section above that starts to ache. Is this normal? The fitting of the helmet is good.

Is this normal? Should I use a different type of helmet?
Old 18th November 2023, 10:24   #4728
BHPian

Hello folks, I just got my first helmet (Axxis Draken, will post its review after using it for a while).

My question is "How tight should be the helmet strap?"(mine has Qrs/eu rachet type).

I have seen many videos of crash, where the helmet comes off easily, wouldn't want that to happen with me or anyone else.
I tried removing the strap over from the chin, using fingers, it did come out(with some effort) & when I tightened it more to the point where it doesn't come off, it hurt the neck.
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-pxl_20231106_103444180.jpg  

Last edited by Mannvvs : 18th November 2023 at 10:25. Reason: Spelling
Old 18th November 2023, 10:32   #4729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theconfusedguy View Post
I am using an Axor Apex Hunter helmet for almost an year now. I had a THH full face helmet before. I have a different shaped head (bit pointed in the front). When I am wearing helmets for 1 hr or more my forehead and the section above that starts to ache. Is this normal? The fitting of the helmet is good.

Is this normal? Should I use a different type of helmet?
That isn't normal. Ideally, when you pick up a new helmet, you should try it out at the store, with a balaclava on, for an extended period of time. Good riding gear stores always allow this. I've used my helmet for 14 hours ish at a time (With water breaks, of course) and yet haven't had an issue. I'd suggest that you pick up a new helmet for longer tours.
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2023, 10:44   #4730
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFox View Post
That isn't normal. Ideally, when you pick up a new helmet, you should try it out at the store, with a balaclava on, for an extended period of time. Good riding gear stores always allow this. I've used my helmet for 14 hours ish at a time (With water breaks, of course) and yet haven't had an issue. I'd suggest that you pick up a new helmet for longer tours.
I have never understood this suggestion.

How long are you going to be wearing a helmet (that is not yours) inside a store?

What exactly is this extended period of time?

And how if at all does it mimic real life on a bike ride.

I genuinely want to understand this common recommendation that personally I have never been able to wrap my head around. Pun unintended.

Cheers, Doc
Old 18th November 2023, 10:53   #4731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I have never understood this suggestion.
How long are you going to be wearing a helmet (that is not yours) inside a store? What exactly is this extended period of time? And how if at all does it mimic real life on a bike ride. I genuinely want to understand this common recommendation that personally I have never been able to wrap my head around. Pun unintended
Love the pun, although unintended Generally, at least 20-30 mins. Mostly because you'd be able to tell if anything inside the helmet is building pressure points on your head or is making you feel a little suffocated or dizzy (If it's way too tight).

Stores like Orion in BLR allow this. Heck, when I went to pick up my boots and was pretty sure I wanted them, the SA asked me to walk around the store for 20 mins with them on just for me to be absolutely certain. It may look funny or weird, but 20-30 mins here could save you a lot of pain in the long run.
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 12:34   #4732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFox View Post
I bought it from a store and it suited me well. It was a snug fit. I wore it for <5 minutes though and it felt a bit tight. The SA said its normal and after the break in period the fit will be good. I only get this pain if if the ride is more than an hour.

Thank you for the detailed reply. I will buy a new one then or take breaks in between rides (which helped).
Old 20th November 2023, 13:04   #4733
BHPian

Quote:
I bought it from a store and it suited me well. It was a snug fit. I wore it for <5 minutes though and it felt a bit tight. The SA said its normal and after the break in period the fit will be good. I only get this pain if if the ride is more than an hour
Do you wear the helmet over a balaclava?
The seams(piping with stitching) on the balaclava at times causes pain over prolonged usage.

I personally faced this issue recently when my 5 year old MT thunder helmet which was a perfect fit started causing pain at certain places on the skull. Then I realised that the culprit was the new balaclava, not the helmet.

You may like to check if same is the case with you.
aviator1101 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 14:19   #4734
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post
The seams(piping with stitching) on the balaclava at times causes pain over prolonged usage.
Bingo. Especially the costlier ones that are supposed to keep you cool (or warm) which have multiple panels stitched on together. Surprisingly, the cheaper ubiquitous black cotton/lycra ones are one-piece or have only a midline seam that is unlikely to cause pressure pain (its almost always the sides, especially over the ears).

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 20th November 2023 at 14:22.
ebonho is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 09:43   #4735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post

I personally faced this issue recently when my 5 year old MT thunder helmet which was a perfect fit started causing pain at certain places on the skull. Then I realised that the culprit was the new balaclava, not the helmet.

You may like to check if same is the case with you.
No. I was wearing the helmet without a balaclava.
Old 21st November 2023, 09:52   #4736
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No. I was wearing the helmet without a balaclava.
These are heat spots and the shape of the helmet probably does not fit your head.

Read about head and helmet shapes. Take a overhead picture of your head and compare with those.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 10:26   #4737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
These are heat spots and the shape of the helmet probably does not fit your head.

Read about head and helmet shapes. Take a overhead picture of your head and compare with those.
Thank you.
Old 24th November 2023, 19:24   #4738
BHPian

After realizing the importance of wearing protective gear, I have decided to invest in my very first set of riding gear.

This particular thread has been of great help to provide insights about protective equipment and guidance in choosing the right products.

I'm currently in two minds about which jacket to buy, an entry level jacket from International brands like Rev'It / Dainese / Macna / RST or mid-high end one from Indian brands like Rynox.

Rev'It / Dainese offer good quality materials in their basic line up but cuts down on protective stuff (armors: most of these offer CE level 1 elbow and shoulder protectors alone) where as Rynox offers a lot in terms of protection (CE level 2 armors, chest + back protectors included).

Also, I feel we can get better after sales support from Indian manufacturers.

Looking for inputs from fellow members.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th November 2023 at 21:59. Reason: Typo
Old 24th November 2023, 20:34   #4739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
I'm currently in two minds about which jacket to buy, an entry level jacket from International brands like Rev'It / Dainese / Macna / RST or mid-high end one from Indian brands like Rynox.

Rev'It / Dainese offer good quality materials in their basic line up but cuts down on protective stuff (armors: most of these offer CE level 1 elbow and shoulder protectors alone) where as Rynox offers a lot in terms on protection (CE level 2 armors, chest + back protectors included).

I think a good option, since you have the budget for it, would be the Tailor Made Gear from Viaterra. Its made to fit you and comes with a full level 2 protective suite. Their customer service is excellent as well. Leaving Links below.

https://viaterragear.com/products/mu...-riding-jacket
https://viaterragear.com/products/mu...ing-pants-test
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2023, 20:58   #4740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
After realizing the importance of wearing protective gear, I have decided to invest in my very first set of riding gear.

This particular thread has been of great help to provide insights about protective equipment and guidance in choosing the right products.

Rev'It / Dainese offer good quality materials in their basic line up but cuts down on protective stuff (armors: most of these offer CE level 1 elbow and shoulder protectors alone) where as Rynox offers a lot in terms on protection (CE level 2 armors, chest + back protectors included).

5 years back, I would have recommended to stick to Rev'it, Astar etc. But today quite a few Indian brands are making very good riding gear. Plus the benefit of buying locally is, you can try the sizes, touch and feel the materials and of course after sales support too. I highly recommend to try RE gear, Rynox and Viaterra. They are the pick of the crop in my opinion.

I have had gear of Dainese, Rev'it and Alpinestar, but recently have bought some gear from India manufacturers and have been quite happy with the quality and design.
Most notably, I have been honestly shocked by some of the gear RE has, it is really great.

Regards
Rachit

Last edited by Rachit.K.Dogra : 24th November 2023 at 21:00.
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks