Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2022, 13:16   #4051
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Just call www.myshoeclinic.com. They do a great job in stitching leather. Pick-up and drop-off is complimentary. Also, If you can make it to Jayanagar there are lots of repair guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiredd1005 View Post
Does anybody know a good leather jacket repair shop in Bangalore? I prefer Koramangala, Jayanagar, BSK, HSR layout etc.
Sebring is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 10:41   #4052
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P72NX View Post
A question for folks that use GoPro or other action cameras - where do you find it to be a convenient fit?
I had it fixed to the chin of my helmet, (using a chin strap), however, that would only cover the tank/handle area of the bike, even at the stiffest position.

The chin strap:
Attachment 2307395

Top of the helmet would definitely add drag and be tough to turn on/off.
Try it on the chin but get the mount that allows you to flip the camera upside down. From your post, it looks as though you are using it facing downwards. That is why you are only getting the tank and clocks, in your footage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Having used it well, I'm disliking the extra padding given on the palm. Not giving a very comfortable hold on the bike, since I already have puppy grips installed (Wasn't an issue with my earlier pair). The second matter is the inadequate length of the Velcro fastener. (The next size has a longer strap but my fingers feel lax)
It looks as though you picked a pair of gloves that arent the right fit for your hands ! If possible, sell these sparingly used gloves and look for a better pair. Check out the Vamos from Royal Enfield.
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 13:41   #4053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P72NX View Post
A question for folks that use GoPro or other action cameras - where do you find it to be a convenient fit?
I've been using this chest mount from Amazon for just over a year now and I am pretty happy: https://www.amazon.in/AmazonBasics-G...dp/B01D3I8A7A/. I purchased it for Rs. 699.

I use this with a SJ4000, but I guess any action cam should work. I've used this cam with a chin mount on my older MT Revenge helmet but I didn't like it because:

(a) the footage was too shaky (I constantly check my mirrors, look over my shoulder when changing lanes, etc)
(b) the camera when mounted on the chin, was constantly hitting my shoulder when I had to check if I can switch the lane.
(c) to change batteries, I had to remove my helmet. Now, I can just remove the camera from the chest mount and change the battery.

With the chest mount, the camera angle feels a little better to me and the footage is much better.

Also, since I use a modular helmet now (Duke 2), the chin mount was out of the question.
JoeTheWanderer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 17:38   #4054
Senior - BHPian

No, its snug and fits like a ... glove. I'll use it Velcro's quite strong even if it's at the tip. Vamos is out of stock at the store, they'll intimate me once its back
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Check out the Vamos from Royal Enfield.

Last edited by Sebring : 16th May 2022 at 17:42.
Old 19th May 2022, 12:11   #4055
BHPian

Need some help in shortlisting a decent all weather riding jacket in the range of 5k-10k, looking for leads in Mumbai.

Short background
Was off biking for 2 years due to WFH, would be resuming soon, jacket will be used daily for office commute with occasional weekend rides around Mumbai/Pune.

Was using a Rjays jacket since 2012, disposed off last year, loved the fit and finish, was used daily for office commute, also have a Rjays riding pant purchased few years back, sparingly used, will continue for few more years easily.
Sadly Rjays not available anywhere now, hence looking for alternatives.

Few options shortlisted :
https://supermoto.co.in/category/ridingjackets
They have some decent collection of DSG and AlpineStar

https://www.lazyassbikers.com/collec...-5000-rs-10000
A few with LAB's, any feedback on RYNOX ?
have been using RYNOX leather gloves since 2014, except the velcro strap not working rest holding up well.

https://https://tigermotoo.com/produ...?orderby=price

SOLACE Rival/Sabre/Ramble look good to me, feedback appreciated.

https://bachoomotors.com/product-cat..._order&paged=1

Until few years back Bachoo motors used to be the main distributor for Rjays, got my jacket form them, they have moved over to this new brand Tarmac, never heard about it though.

Any more options highly appreciated.
Gaur is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 20:27   #4056
Senior - BHPian

Incessant rains in Bengaluru meant dripping wet gloves (since I already have rain pants and jacket). I Wanted an all weather pair and fellow BHPian Red Liner was kind enough to connect me with BigBadBikes who are the dealers for KLIM (Pronounced CLIME) and have a warehouse at HBR layout, no showroom though. Everything was sold out and they had this last pair of Adventure GTX with Goretex, in GRAY. I purchased it (and the next moment, stepped out to a torrential downpour). Took off the stickers and markings then and there, to try it on and it was sheer bliss. The soft/supple leather is amazing to the touch and fully waterproof (you don't feel any dampness). These gloves are imported from the USA and stocks could be replenished in 6 weeks. It's dark already, so will post actual pics tomorrow
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-img_1294.jpg  

Sebring is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 10:36   #4057
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaur View Post
Need some help in shortlisting a decent all weather riding jacket in the range of 5k-10k, looking for leads in Mumbai.
Gaur, this thread has multiple discussions on jackets in the segment. Do browse through it and see the options, opinions and long term feedback from fellow TBHPians. Let us know what options you find in stores and if you need any specific feedback on a particular model.

Quote:
Incessant rains in Bengaluru meant dripping wet gloves (since I already have rain pants and jacket). I Wanted an all weather pair and fellow BHPian Red Liner was kind enough to connect me with BigBadBikes who are the dealers for KLIM (Pronounced CLIME) and have a warehouse at HBR layout, no showroom though. Everything was sold out and they had this last pair of Adventure GTX with Goretex, in GRAY. I purchased it (and the next moment, stepped out to a torrential downpour). Took off the stickers and markings then and there, to try it on and it was sheer bliss. The soft/supple leather is amazing to the touch and fully waterproof (you don't feel any dampness). These gloves are imported from the USA and stocks could be replenished in 6 weeks. It's dark already, so will post actual pics tomorrow
Congratulations Sebring. How much did the Klim (I always thought that it was Klim as in Klim Kardashian , didnt know that it was Clime. Learnt something new thanks to you) gloves cost you? I look forward to reading your long term feedback on the Klim Adventure GTX.

Here too it has been pouring cats and dogs almost every everyday. I picked up a pair of waterproof gloves recently. Let me use them for a bit, before I share some feedback on this thread.
neil.jericho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 13:49   #4058
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Neil. I learnt the pronunciation from the KLIM guys, and thought I'll put it out there. My budget for a performance glove was 8K tops, but this cost me double. The rupee has crashed and imports will be 25% more expensive for coming imports, so this timing was opportune. It's 2021 stock, though. Beauty is the LIFETIME WARRANTY ON ANY TEAR (I simply turn it in for another), so I somehow justified it in my mind. It has a hidden sleeve where I keep toll tickets on NICE road (To be handed over on the exit side). Grip is phenomenal. And of course the comfort, it's unmatched. Also, there is a 'visor wiper' blade. This model also comes in a non-waterproof version (Is cheaper). The casual waterproof shoes that I'm using are the DRYSTAR Ortholite from ALPINESTAR
Quote:
Congratulations Sebring. How much did the Klim (I always thought that it was Klim as in Klim Kardashian , didnt know that it was Clime. Learnt something new thanks to you) gloves cost you?
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-img_1336.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 20th May 2022 at 13:52.
Sebring is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 15:21   #4059
BHPian

Quote:
Gaur, this thread has multiple discussions on jackets in the segment. Do browse through it and see the options, opinions and long term feedback from fellow TBHPians. Let us know what options you find in stores and if you need any specific feedback on a particular model.
Hey, thanks for your reply, as you suggested went through a few pages on the thread to get some more clarity, couldn't go through more pages as didn't have enough time, it's an encyclopaedia on riding gears, thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.

As i needed something urgently hopped into Super Moto Outfits, goregaon.
Had already shortlisted the DSG Evo 2 air, all season jacket with winter/rain liners and level 2 protector, unfortunately it wasn't available in my size.

Finally checked out the Alpinestars Wake Air jacket and found it to be quite good in-terms of fit and finish, got it for Rs.9000.
It's a summer jacket basically and comes with level 1 armour for elbow and shoulder which isn't the best but should suffice my requirement.

Has an additional pocket at the rear to store gloves or some soft items like a external rain liner, nifty little feature i believe many other jackets would be having but I never knew of.
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-pxl_20220521_074925002.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-pxl_20220521_090551795.night.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-pxl_20220521_090432767.night.jpg  

Gaur is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 15:41   #4060
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My budget for a performance glove was 8K tops, but this cost me double. The rupee has crashed and imports will be 25% more expensive for coming imports, so this timing was opportune. It's 2021 stock, though. Beauty is the LIFETIME WARRANTY ON ANY TEAR (I simply turn it in for another), so I somehow justified it in my mind. It has a hidden sleeve where I keep toll tickets on NICE road (To be handed over on the exit side). Grip is phenomenal. And of course the comfort, it's unmatched. Also, there is a 'visor wiper' blade. This model also comes in a non-waterproof version (Is cheaper). The casual waterproof shoes that I'm using are the DRYSTAR Ortholite from ALPINESTAR
Rs 16K for that does seem steep but Klim's products have never been known to be priced affordably. On the flip side, you get great quality and lifetime warranty, which as you said, does kinda justify the price.

Do share some feedback on the A* shoes as well. Ive never seen them before in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaur View Post
As i needed something urgently hopped into Super Moto Outfits, goregaon.
Had already shortlisted the DSG Evo 2 air, all season jacket with winter/rain liners and level 2 protector, unfortunately it wasn't available in my size.

Finally checked out the Alpinestars Wake Air jacket and found it to be quite good in-terms of fit and finish, got it for Rs.9000.
It's a summer jacket basically and comes with level 1 armour for elbow and shoulder which isn't the best but should suffice my requirement.
Congratulations Gaur. The A* Wake 2 is an absolute steal at that price. Do try to source a back protector for the jacket.
neil.jericho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 16:47   #4061
Senior - BHPian

Sure Neil, CRX Drystar (100% Waterproof) Shoes are your normal all day walking/running shoes which transitions to riding shoes flawlessly. Alpinestar have achieved this by keeping the outer setting between heel and toe at 9 mm (Running shoes like Nike/Reebok have 9mm). Yeah, so some smart thinking there. The mid-sole is very cushy while the 'grippy sole' is perfect for trails/climbing. The 'shifting area' has a highly wear resistant TPU, (resistant to oil etc). This product is quite unique and I'm happy I purchased it
Quote:
Do share some feedback on the A* shoes as well. Ive never seen them before in India.
Attached Images

Sebring is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 18:36   #4062
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sure Neil, CRX Drystar (100% Waterproof) Shoes are your normal all day walking/running shoes which transitions to riding shoes flawlessly. Alpinestar have achieved this by keeping the outer setting between heel and toe at 9 mm (Running shoes like Nike/Reebok have 9mm). Yeah, so some smart thinking there. The mid-sole is very cushy while the 'grippy sole' is perfect for trails/climbing. The 'shifting area' has a highly wear resistant TPU, (resistant to oil etc). This product is quite unique and I'm happy I purchased it
How much did you pay for these? Enjoy the glovew, make sure you ride everytime it rains
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 05:30   #4063
Senior - BHPian

Rs. 19,500 after some discount, for the shoe. What all did you purchase from BigBadBikes? Any KLIM gear? That BRAND is addictive. It's not that I catch the rain to ride, just that I hate wet gloves
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
How much did you pay for these? Enjoy the gloves, make sure you ride every time it rains

Last edited by Sebring : 22nd May 2022 at 05:33.
Sebring is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 06:49   #4064
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Rs. 19,500 after some discount, for the shoe. What all did you purchase from BigBadBikes? Any KLIM gear? That BRAND is addictive. It's not that I catch the rain to ride, just that I hate wet gloves
Some stuff here and there over the years. Sean is a good friend and always only suggests what i need and not what i want

This is what i have realised over the years. Good gear lasts a very very long time. So long that they begin paying back after a while, because you will find most of your friends begin to buy new cheap replacements after two years.

Good gear is very comfortable for long distances and tough terrains. On long days and tough weather or trail conditions, you should almost forget that you are wearing motorcycle gear. Thats how comfortable they should be.

Buy once, cry once!

That said I am not a Klim Maniac - i think their boots are rubbish, and some of their goretex jackets are over priced as hell!

The Riding Gear thread-pxl_20220520_050013985.mp.jpg
Red Liner is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 19:11   #4065
Distinguished - BHPian

Royal Enfield Alpinestars new jackets

I dropped into my friendly local Royal Enfield store to check out the new launches that are part of their collaboration with Alpinestars. I've used Alpinestars products for over a decade and I have never been disappointed with their gear. Specifically, I was looking at the waterproof Royal Enfield Alpinestars jackets. Before I get into the products, a bit of context might be helpful.

Its safe to say that by and large, I've been a fair weather rider. Usually I dont plan for any long rides / over nighters in the monsoons. Over the last few years, Ive tried to consciously change my riding habits and even made several plans for monsoon rides. However, on every occasion, my lofty plans were met by news reports of expected torrential downpours, followed by warnings of red alerts and orange alerts from the Kerala government. Its become a running joke in my circle now. Last year I was supposed to ride to Valparai for an overnighter with fellow TBHPians but the same thing happened. I threw my luggage into my car and drove down instead. You might think that I am exaggerating a bit but the old saying is true - Man proposes. God disposes.

Anyways, while touring, I keep the inner rain liner of my Royal Enfield Khardung La jacket in the back pouch. If it starts drizzling or raining, I pull over to the side and wear the liner, before putting on the jacket.

TBHPians KarthikK, EbmRajesh and shaikhmimran have gone the opposite route and picked up a rain cover that can be worn over their jacket and pant. Ive never been a fan of that approach, as I find it is a bit stuffy. Or placebo. I cant tell.

This summer has been a pseudo monsoon here in Kerala, with non stop rains every few days. Climate change is real, folks! Kerala had 111% excess rainfall in the pre-monsoon season, with Ernakulam getting 221% excess rainfall ! Here is the link to the news article. Meanwhile, the Riding Gear Acquisition Syndrome (RGAS) reared its head again and I began exploring the option of a fully waterproof jacket. Here, the waterproof lining is built into the material, which means that you dont have to worry about additional liners or anything. The trade off is one season usability and less ventilation. Considering that the rains now seem to extend for 5+ months of the year, it seemed like a good option to consider.

With this in mind, I decided to check out the new waterproof jackets from the Royal Enfield A* collaboration. In particular, I wanted to check out the Gravity Drystar jacket. Revzilla has a nice video on it, which covers all the important points. The Gravity Drystar comes in a very tasteful Khaki colour. It appears to be a good waterproof jacket for touring. I liked the build quality and the design. It isn't heavy like some of the Indian made riding jackets are. Unfortunately, the local store only had the Gravity Drystar in a size L. It fit me nicely but considering that both my motorcycles require a slightly aggressive seating posture, the fitment at the arms was a bit snug. I definitely need the XL size jacket. The store has promised to place an order for me.

The Riding Gear thread-20220521_110644.jpg

The Solano is the other jacket that was launched. When I first read about it, I wasnt that keen on the jacket. It was waterproof all right but other than that, I didnt see too much else to excite me. When I tried it on, I was quite surprised by the Solano jacket. It felt like a jacket that you might find someone from, say North India, wearing in the winters, rather than an out and out riding jacket. It was super light, though it comes with Level 2 armour at the elbows and shoulders. If you commute on your motorcycle to work, you could easily wear it over your shirt and walk into your office. The trade off is that you dont get 600D material everywhere on the jacket. Fitment wise, I found that I was between the L and XL size. It certainly isn't meant for touring but for in city riding, commuting etc, this is a surprisingly good waterproof jacket!

The Riding Gear thread-20220521_110142.jpg

Both jackets do not come with back protectors. However, the Knox Level 2 armour that is found in the Rynox Stealth Evo, fits perfectly into the Drystar. I didnt check the Solano for this.

Do remember that for these Royal Enfield riding gear products, you can get the store to throw in the 15% discount, while also getting yourself a nice duffel bag.

Honestly, these jackets arent for everyone. Most riders will be happy to get a Viaterra, Revit or Nelson-Rigg rain coat which can be worn over their existing jackets. That will be equally functional and it will keep your wallet happy, as well. Honestly, it is the sensible approach.

But, if you are looking to do away with the stop, wear liner, ride, remove liner, ride approach, then the Royal Enfield Alpinestars jackets start to make sense. Overall, I liked both the jackets. The Gravity Drystar is the more well rounded of the two products, considering our market and overall usage. It will be really good for touring in the monsoons. The Solano, on the other hand, fits a very specific urban jungle use case. That said, I dont think that there is any other product in our market, that does what it does. So if you are looking for something like that, then its a no brainer.

Now despite all this, I doubt that Royal Enfield will sell out both these jackets in India (a journalist mentioned that there are limited numbers). Even with the store discounts, it is a decent chunk of change to put down for something that you cannot use all year around. I wont be surprised to find these going at 40% discounts on the next Royal Enfield sale. The market response in India isnt something that Royal Enfield's boffins will be surprised by. I can see these jackets doing well in international markets. The fact that Royal Enfield has launched these products in India, despite the current maturity levels of our market, is something to be appreciated. More riding gear choices for you and me, is never a bad thing!
neil.jericho is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks