Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2021, 11:59   #3871

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
Nice! Could you tell me the conditions for this discount? Minimum order or something?
They have tiers 5k to 10k purchase you get 10% off. More than 10k you get 15% off. In both the cases you get a duffel bag worth 2k free. I split my 30k purchase in two separate bills so I got 2 duffel bags. The RE stuff becomes much more affordable once you factor these discounts. Also the quality is excellent in my limited experience.
kanahanin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 12:41   #3872
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nice! Could you tell me the conditions for this discount? Minimum order or something?
Here you go, though it says on purchase of new motorcycles, they do end up offering it later as well.

The Riding Gear thread-re.jpg
AtheK is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 13:09   #3873
BHPian

Interesting that it doesn't seem to work on store.royalenfield.com, online purchase I mean. Will check with the showroom and see what's what, maybe it's a coupon code system.
RiderZone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 16:18   #3874
BHPian

I am looking to get the Alpinestars NUCLEON chest protectors for my riding jacket (BBG Xplorer) but I am a little confused about the size.

Do chest protectors came in a standard size? If they do, then I guess I can get the Aplinestars. The size chart from Alpinestars doesn't seem to provide the dimensions of the chest protector itself hence the confusion.

I also considered the Knox chest protectors from RE as well. They're value for money and seem to fit the chest pocket of my jacket.

My only concern with them was that they looked stiffer compared to the Alpinestars. I could be mistaken but I really don't want to be uncomfortable while riding. Has anyone purchased the Knox chest armor? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 8th November 2021, 18:00   #3875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheWanderer View Post
I am looking to get the Alpinestars NUCLEON chest protectors for my riding jacket (BBG Xplorer) but I am a little confused about the size.
Because you're trying to fit a different company protector in your BBG jacket, some level of mismatch will always be there. I fit the Dainese chest protectors in my Rev'it jacket, and had to use the left one in the right pocket, plus put them upside down, to get them to fit the way I liked.

Most chest protectors come in a single size, but A* is different here because there's an S and and L. Based on my experience with the Nucleon protectors (shoulders and elbow), their size S is basically kid size, so L would be your best bet.

For reference, my Dainese chest protector is 26.5 cm by 16.5 cm.

I would anyday choose A* Nucleon over Knox Microlock. The A* one will be very thin, very flexible, and it smells of vanilla for some reason Plus it's level 2, which is rare in chest protectors, whatever that's worth.
RiderZone is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 11:43   #3876
BHPian

Quote:
Based on my experience with the Nucleon protectors (shoulders and elbow), their size S is basically kid size, so L would be your best bet.
I would anyday choose A* Nucleon over Knox Microlock. The A* one will be very thin, very flexible, and it smells of vanilla for some reason Plus it's level 2, which is rare in chest protectors, whatever that's worth.
Thank you, this helps a lot. I'll pull the trigger on the A* protectors.
JoeTheWanderer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 19:49   #3877
BHPian

A few updates on the gear I had bought for the Spiti trip, and afterwards:

1. Royal Enfield Spirit leather jacket:

It's a fantastic piece of kit, especially for the price and worked flawlessly for my purpose, which was to be a bit cozy in the Himachal winter. I got it a bit wet too in the rains there, but that didn't make any significant difference. When I returned the jacket was covered in dust, so I just vacuumed it off and that's it.

There are specialty cleaners and moisturizers for leather jackets I believe, but I don't want to put in that much effort into it. If anyone's got any cheap workarounds to keep it reasonably good looking, please let me know. I don't need it to look pristine, but would prefer if it doesn't crack, flake off, and die.

2. Shima XRS-2 gloves:

They worked well for the purpose too, without them my hands would definitely have frozen off out there. It's a good thing they are short-ish gloves, I don't think full gauntlets would've worked with the Spirit jacket, the cuff is too fat and full gauntlets may have been a pain to wear on top. These worked well both under and over the jacket.

Are there any special instructions to take care of leather gloves? I've never bothered so far with my old pairs, will probably do the same now.

3. Knox Microlock protectors:

When I got back from the trip, I ordered the level 2 back, shoulder, and elbow protectors from the Royal Enfield store, to complete the Spirit jacket set, which was using protectors stolen from other jackets, mine and friend's.

To my surprise, they arrived in a simple plastic bag, no cardboard box or any other protection. Seems like a bad idea to me, protectors are meant to take impacts, but pretty sure not while being couriered.

The protectors inside looked fine, but they had welded themselves to the plastic packaging they were in. The back protector was so firmly attached that small chunks of the material remained on the plastic. Not sure if there's something wrong with the Knox material, or if the protectors were really old.

Put them into the jacket, and of course, typical RE. Protectors branded Royal Enfield, bought from the Royal Enfield store, don't fit in a Royal Enfield jacket.

The shoulder protectors technically fit, but they are so fat that the movement in your shoulders is severely limited. The elbow protectors don't fit at all, you can't close the velcro on top. If you just jam them in there, you can't bend your elbows, not even enough to put on a helmet. The back protector also technically fits, but it's too small, a bit too much empty space on top and sides, will slide around.

The elbow and shoulder protectors come in a universal size. The back protector comes in M and L, I bought the M based on the size guide on the Royal Enfield site. My Spirit jacket is size S.

The Riding Gear thread-protector-gap.jpeg

About the Knox Microlock protectors, the back protector is OK-ish, it's very flexible, but fat. It's better than the D3O level 2 back protector in my opinion, the D3O is very stiff and even fatter, but the Knox is nothing special. Not bad for the price however, below you can see it next to my Dainese back protector for size comparo.

The Riding Gear thread-knox-back-protector.jpeg

The Knox Microlock shoulder and elbow protectors are absolute garbage, calling them "Microlock" is borderline scammy. They are basically the same old protectors you used to get from Knox, the black ones, fat and completely inflexible, now they're just yellow. They are essentially unusable, do not buy.

The Riding Gear thread-knox-elbow-shoulder-protectors.jpeg

I have returned all the Knox protectors back to RE. Waiting for refund. Will probably get some A* Nucleon protectors, they are pricey, but with them I won't look like a puffed up muscle boi. Had bought the Knox ones to save some money, and because I thought they're branded RE, so fit should be no bother. The experiment has failed.

Last edited by RiderZone : 9th November 2021 at 19:54.
RiderZone is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 16:35   #3878

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanahanin View Post
Hello Everyone, New member but been riding bikes for the past 10 years. Need some help for buying Riding gear for my interceptor. I'm planning a ride from Aurangabad to Goa after diwali and have been steadily purchasing stuff.
1. Helmet: I have a MT helmet Stinger I got from MT helmets official store for 15%discount.
2. Gloves: Wanted to go full gauntlet but given most of the rides in the near future are going to be short I went RE Vamos short cuff gloves. I'll get full gauntlets once I start touring frequently. I got additional 10% off from amazon which I felt was a good deal.
3. Riding Pants: Need to decide, I'll mostly go with Rynox but I'm vain and care about the looks. I'd prefer all black pants to go with the classic look of my bike. In that regards the RE Tso Kar looks good, and if i'm not wrong I can get 20% discount from RE store if my purchase crosses 20k which Might happen.
4. Shoes: The most confusing part. I need to get shoes which I can hold on for 5 10 years so budget isn't an issue. I have thought about getting RE TCX stelvio one's but the Waterproofing part is what I'm not sure about. I'll mostly be riding in Hot temperatures so I don't feel the need for waterproofing. Ideally I would want a fully ventilated shoes but again given that TCX boots are best in the line I'm confused. Also Can I get the store discount here ? If yes It'd be a no brainer as I'll get 20% off
5. Jacket: I already own a RE Explorer v3. I just need to get back armor, RE has some in store but I'm looking for somewhere I can get it for cheaper.
Update on this. I got the RE TCX stelvio boots, RE Tso Kar riding pants delivered today. I had booked it before Diwali by paying an advance of 5k to my local RE dealer. The team from the showroom were great and went the extra mile to get them delivered soon. The best part? I got 15% discount on both, so the final price was 17850 for the Boots (which is a steal I believe) and the tso kar riding pants for 8925(not as good a deal compared to others like rynox but still a good deal). Plus I got 2 duffel bags free which are worth 2k each. I also got a touring seat with 10% discount. I purchased RE Vamos riding gloves from amazon with 10% card offer. Could've got additional 5% off but I don't mind. All in all, managed to save roughly 5 thousand (excluding the gloves) and might sell the duffle bags to friends to get additional 4k back.

A year back I wouldn't have dreamt of spending so much on Gear but reading the posts here convinced me to go for the best. This was my Diwali shopping and the deals on top of it made the experience that much sweeter. Thanks for helping me choose everyone!

PS: Ignore the open face helmet it's for my sister when she rides pillion.

The Riding Gear thread-whatsapp-image-20211110-3.35.42-pm.jpeg
kanahanin is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 23:53   #3879
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi everyone, starting mid December I will be doing Mumbai-Pune round trip rides every weekend. This has led me to finally decide to complete my gear with the addition of leg protection. And here’s where the confusion begins! My criteria in order of importance is:
1. Comfort: needs to be as close to ‘no gear’ as possible. Sounds like an oxymoron but the thing is if I’m not comfortable I’ll not be using it. That’s why I’ve never warmed up to full gauntlet gloves and prefer short cuffs.
2. Safety: well of course. Note to self: duh! But this is trickier than it seems. How much is enough? Especially in light of points 1 and 3. CE level 2 protectors needed. Knee protection needed. Hip protection desirable. Slide protection - undecided.
3. Budget: would like to keep it to 7k max.
Finalists: Rynox Bionic knee protectors, Solace Gravel riding jeans, Rynox Airtex Pants. All come with CE L2 protection. The denims and pants have hip protection as well.

Upon much research I’ve discarded my first choice - the knee protectors. Though my current steed (RE350) doesn’t really appreciate speeds north of 80kmph, the protectors are pretty useless even in case of a slight slide at extreme low speeds. That leaves me with the denims and the pants. And the more I read and watch about these, the more confused I get. My primary issue is that I’m a bit heat sensitive and thus my choice of gloves (Viaterra Holeshot) and jacket (Rynox Air GT). The pants have even lesser mesh area on them compared to the jacket and so would end up being hotter plus they are black which means more heat absorption. However at similar price points they seem to offer significantly better protection than the denims which though appear to be more breathable than the pants. Ugh! the conundrum.

Should I go for the denims or the pants? Thoughts and suggestions actively sought!
GreyNomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 10:16   #3880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyNomad View Post
Should I go for the denims or the pants? Thoughts and suggestions actively sought!
Mesh riding pants, my 1st and current set, seem to be working well for me. I'm also heat sensitive. I bought the Rynox Storm Evo pants, retailing at 7500 if I'm not wrong. I've ridding 8000+ kms with them now. I have used RE's basic knee guards for 20k odd kms as well.

The difference is massive! The most important change has come in terms of my confidence while riding. There is an invincible feeling to be honest so I'm able to push myself through certain sections more easily. Getting used to putting them on and off takes a sum total of 2 times. The knee armour adjustment though, takes a while longer to get used to.
They're slightly water resistant as well. As in, the first 20-25 minutes of a drizzle, I have felt no wetness on my skin.
As to comfort, I wouldn't get them online. I tried mine at the store and it took me quite a while to believe that they'd actually be comfortable. All doubts vanished after I began riding with them though.

I have not used riding jeans so cannot comment on them. But I'd be willing to give them a try once work from office resumes For all else, riding pants are the best.
shyamg28 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 14:31   #3881
Senior - BHPian

Is Selling of Used Riding Gears allowed on T-Bhp?
Old 22nd November 2021, 15:48   #3882
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Is Selling of Used Riding Gears allowed on T-Bhp?
You should be able to post it in classifieds.
Old 22nd November 2021, 17:15   #3883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
You should be able to post it in classifieds.

Couldn't find a section dedicated to selling MOTORCYCLE RIDING GEARS. The Classified section just has stull related to 4w's/Cars
Old 22nd November 2021, 17:30   #3884
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Couldn't find a section dedicated to selling MOTORCYCLE RIDING GEARS. The Classified section just has stull related to 4w's/Cars
I have previously seen people posting the same under "Accessories" Section.
Old 24th November 2021, 11:25   #3885
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyNomad View Post
That leaves me with the denims and the pants. And the more I read and watch about these, the more confused I get. My primary issue is that I’m a bit heat sensitive and thus my choice of gloves (Viaterra Holeshot) and jacket (Rynox Air GT). The pants have even lesser mesh area on them compared to the jacket and so would end up being hotter plus they are black which means more heat absorption. However at similar price points they seem to offer significantly better protection than the denims which though appear to be more breathable than the pants. Ugh! the conundrum.

Go for riding pants. You will get used to them. I have done full day rides with them and not faced any issues with ventilation or heat.

I would suggest that you avoid Rynox pants. I had bought one and the seams tore on the very first ride while hopping onto my bike. The reason was because one side of the pants had double stitching but the side that tore had single stitching

Add Royal Enfield's riding pants to your list. The quality of almost all their gear is fantastic and the pricing is very good as well.
neil.jericho is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks