Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2018, 10:09   #3226
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
If I remember correctly, they did have a leather jacket without any armor but a majority of jackets seem to come with at-least the shoulder & elbow protectors these days.
Thanks

Can you please post a link? I would like to see if something is available in mesh/textile.

I believe the back protectors would be the same all across and not just Joe Rocket]. And if I get the Joe Rockets, my pants and jacket's protectors won't go waste.
Old 17th October 2018, 20:10   #3227
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks all who helped me with the inputs when I was searching for the safety gear details. I think I have done 80% of the purchase with just the riding pants left to be added - kind of zeroed in on the Solace riding pants with Sastec 2 protection.

All the other details in my ownership thread.
  • MT Helmet
  • Scimitar Glove
  • Aspida Icarus jacket
  • Aspida Eclipse boot
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post4475383

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 17th October 2018 at 20:11.
Old 21st October 2018, 09:15   #3228
Team-BHP Support

Has any one got their gears from https://www.fc-moto.de/en_GB. Do they ship to India?
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2018, 15:21   #3229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Has any one got their gears from https://www.fc-moto.de/en_GB. Do they ship to India?
Yes. They do ship to India, but make sure you get an idea on the customs. I did talk them a while back for getting myself a Bell lid, wonderful closeout deal but then dropped due to high custom duty parody.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 24th October 2018, 12:17   #3230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I had ordered a TCX X-Miles Waterproof riding boot from them in March 2013. They delivered to my Mumbai address. It got stuck with customs for almost 20 days and the courier they used (DHL) was not able to help immediately. After a few followups by email, they got it released and I paid around 800 INR as customs to the courier delivery guy. The boot was for 96 EUR so was not too bothered about the customs duty as the total cost was cheaper than the local pricing for TCX boots. Please check if they are adding the customs duty upfront now, I believe it will still be an issue now also.
The boot is doing fine after close to 8000 KMs of riding and 5 years.
Swaroop77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2018, 08:07   #3231
BHPian

Short review on Falco Tourance boots.
I tried these at Orion Motors in Bangalore yesterday. Had been there to check Alpinestars. Since most boxes were of July 2018, I believe that this boot has recently come to India. I wore them for 15-20 minutes inside the store and my view is based on that. I did not find many reviews online so decided to write about this boot.
Protection : I was impressed as it is a CE Level 2-2-2 boot which is highest certified protection. Has D3O armour on ankles. Reinforced heel etc.
Water proofing and breathability : the outer is hydrophobic leather and it has a OutDry membrane (like Goretex) which keep feet dry and breathable. I did not find my foot clammy or uncomfortably warm which is a good thing.
Comfort : The sole is Vibram sole which is used for many hiking boots. So it's high grip, anti slip sole. More importantly it can be used for walking or hiking. This means that it can be used as the only pair on/off the bike while touring.
Toe : the boot toe profile is moderate. It is neither too tall or low profile . And it's not too wide or narrow. Can be used on a sport bike or ADV bike with same level of comfort on controls
Fastening : Velcro with zipper.
Visibility: has reflectors on the back
Sizing : I am size 10 and took the size 44. Absolutely no surprises.
Price : MRP is 14K INR. I checked for US /EU prices and found a range of 12,865 - 14,800. So it's not expensive in India.
Hope the above information helps to anyone looking to buy new boots.
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-images-19.jpeg  

shaikhmimran is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 11:31   #3232
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread (Base layers)

Let's talk base layers or inner wear. I am referring to the clothing that you will wear inside your riding jacket & pants.
For most people (including me a while back), it did not really matter what you wear inside your riding gear. Typically it would mean wearing a old round neck cotton T shirt (after learning previously the hard way that new T shirts get spoiled with sweat or even fade color with heat) & pairing it with bermudas or cotton jockey shorts. Before we go further, I am writing in context to a full day or multi day ride. What one wears for breakfast ride lasting 2-3 hours really doesn't matter.
However the problem in wearing cotton tshirt & shorts are multi-fold:
1. You get damp & smelly as cotton absorbs all the sweat in our Indian weather.
2. Cotton shorts tend to fold into unspeakable crevices of your body leading to discomfort & "pinching" effect. So after a few hours, the shorts pinch your butt or thighs. Trust me , it is very unpleasant & painful.
3. Cotton takes a while to dry after a wash. So on a multi day ride, your inners will not dry overnight after washing. That means packing additional sets.
4. Ageing - Natural fabric looks old after half a day's wear. After a day's ride, I look like a homeless person after removing my riding gear.
5. Displacement- The t shirt & shorts are not meant to hug your body. So after you pull up your riding pants, most likely the shorts will bundle up inside.
6. Exposure- Those who watch Bear Grylls videos would have noticed that he always wears full sleeves & pants even in sweltering heat. His logic is reduce exposure of skin to natural elements for effective hydration. So more is better. I tend to agree.

Now if you were to empathize with me & have similar problems, the solution is simple. Buy dedicated motorcycle riding base layers. There are a host of brands like RevIT, Dainese, Alpinestars etc who make them. One problem & a big one at that. They are expensive. A top & bottom set can set you back by 6-8K atleast. Another issue is you cannot try before you buy. So for people on a budget (me), this is a big adoption barrier. Homegrown riding gear makers like Aspida, Solace, Rynox etc are yet to wake up to this business opportunity. Till such a time, most of us have to survive on old tshirts & jockeys. Or do we ?

I decided to tackle this problem & look elsewhere. I was looking for a garment with following properties to be an effective base layer for riding/touring :
- Should be breathable & feel airy
- Should wick away perspiration
- Should keep me dry & comfortable
- Should dry quickly so that I can re-use the same set on a multi day ride
- Should fit snug yet be super comfortable
- Should be low maintenance : Wrinkle free, standard colors & durable.

I was wondering who would make such a garment & a name popped up in my head- Decathlon ! I reasoned they would be making such garments for running, cycling, soccer which would require similar properties. I decided to visit the store & check for myself. Before I continue, I have no affiliation with Decathlon & the intent of this post is to share my experience & help fellow riders.

In the store, I checked soccer section & was disappointed as soccer players tend to wear bermuda shorts & jersys. So its loose clothing. However I found long soccer socks which can be worn for full length riding boots. They quickly went into my basket. Next I went to the cycling section. It had interesting mix of clothing. There were tigh fitting tshirt tops in short & long sleeve. I picked up one of each for trial. However I was already skeptical as body fitting T shirt would show my well rounded abs & grab handles. The shorts were available with in-built padding for butt & groin and in various lengths & fittings. The padding was specially tempting as it would reduce the sore butt on long rides. On the other hand, I was skeptical about having a piece of foam in ungodly areas of my body as that may impact my posture & riding flexibility specially on corners.

I decided to check the running section & was instantaneously rewarded. For tops, there were light t shirts & 3 styles of bottoms; regular shorts, running tights in full length & calf length. I picked up a tshirt & running tights in both lengths & rushed to the trial room.

Result :
1. Cycling body hugging t shirts are the best. However you need to be in good shape to feel comfortable & carry it well.
2. Running T shirts are next best to it. Unfortunately full sleeves not available & you got to make do with half sleeves.
3. Running tights are awesome. They fit well, have enough elasticity. I chose the calf length for following reasons :
- Full length have narrow endings so its difficult to wear & take off. You got to peel it off your body while sitting down. I don't have that kind of patience.
- Full length inner plus socks & then a boot over it. I was worried about the comfort & fit.
- The full length tend to accumlate around the knees & this would surely be a problem while wearing riding boots. I am 178 cms tall fyi & still had this issue.
So I picked up a soccer socks, a run dry men's T shit & a run dry cropped running tights. Link pasted below :
https://www.decathlon.in/p/8488035_r....html#/9-200-s
https://www.decathlon.in/p/8381937_r...ml#/5475-929-s

Total expense 149 for socks, 299 for T shirt, 699 for tights = 1147 INR

Next step was to ride & check the performance. I did a 3 day ride this week. Route was Bangalore- Belur- Kottigehara- Kudremukh-Sringeri-Agumbe- Udupi- Kundapur-Gokarna- Kumta- Sirsi- Haveri-Bangalore. Distance 1235 kms over 2.5 days. For those who know these places, I rode on flat 4 lane highways, ghats, forest, coastal roads & flat plains. So weather was a mix of warm, cool, humid. It was not very cold anywhere. My findings are :
1. The inners feel virtually non existent. You do not feel as if you are wearing a garment as the fit is close to body, the fabric is light weight.
2. I spent lot of time on coastal side & the fabric worked really well in keeping me dry & comfortable. No wet/damp feeling.
3. I washed the t shirt & tights each night & they were dry in 3-4 hours inside the room. So I did not consume my next set of tshirt & shorts. This means I can pack light on next trip.
4. Wearing a tshirt & running tights of calf length, you do not feel underdressed. You can walk around in them & no one bats an eyelid.
5. No wrinkles & crumples. Garment looks & feels same after daily use.
6. Discovered a small inner pocket in the tights. This can be used to stow away emergency cash in case of touring to unsafe places.
7. The socks work well too. Only problem is that footballers keep their legs straight while on a sports bike, your leg is curled upwards. So the high length sock seam digs into the area behind your knee & causes irritation. After day 1, I wore them by doubling the top part down one fold so the seam starts where my tights end. This solved the problem.

Lastly I am amazed that I could write so many words on base layers
However those who ride a lot know that a good gear will help you ride longer & preserve your energy for the after-ride spare time. Hope this post helps you save some money & get more comfortable than you currently are.
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-rundrymensrunningtshirtgrey.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-4a071912e6684080bdad2c6f86c013d5.jpg  

shaikhmimran is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 11:55   #3233
BHPian

That was an useful pointer regarding Decathlon, I have been using their stuff for 3 years absolutely no regrets. For the inner shirt you can check warm weather marathon full sleeve ones, they are great but are not body hugging.

I would give their padded cycling shorts a miss, the padding material is not great.

While you are in the store, check their waterproof trekking shoes, a worthy alternate to riding shoes.

Edit - Also check their rain gear, over pants and jacket, absolutely best solution to wet weather riding.

All these clothes pack very tight/small, a big plus in my books.

Last edited by veerameti : 9th November 2018 at 12:00. Reason: Additional info
veerameti is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 17:37   #3234
BHPian

Hello Riders,

In a humble attempt to spread awareness about Riding gears, made optimal use of Diwali Bay decoration at my office.

As you know majority of the commuters are not aware and on top of that makes fun and pass comments on the few who use riding gears.

We prepped up a mannequin
The Riding Gear thread-img_20181120_171821.jpg

All gears belong to me and my colleague.
The Riding Gear thread-img_20181102_141646.jpg

Basic awareness of terminologies
The Riding Gear thread-img_20181102_141520.jpg

Gears made available to touch and feel.
The Riding Gear thread-img_20181102_141528.jpg

All we wanted that commuters start using protective riding gears.

My over enthusiastic colleague had made a video and uploaded it on YouTube. (ignore the raw footage)

Ride safe,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 17:35   #3235
BHPian

Came across this interesting Black Friday deal which I couldn't resist to post... motorcyclegear.com is selling the Dainese Air Frame D1 jacket for a cool price of $170, against it's regular price of $250. That's a massive saving of a good 32%! For guys having friends / relatives in the US, it's a great chance to save. The D store in India retails this piece for Rs. 19,999. Needless to say this offer is available until coming Monday (Nov 26).

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...d1_jacket.html

And they have sizes available currently across colors as well.

No vested interest as such except for reaching to help out to our rider community to save some dough!
REManiac78 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 21:04   #3236
BHPian

My first and foremost submission to you will be to tentatively atleast have a budget in mind basis which you can arrive the brand you will want to invest in (not spend). Nothing against any of the Indian available brands in this domain. However from a rupee to value standpoint, I'd prefer if you're more tilted towards looking at brands such as REV'IT, Dainese, Alpinestars. Places to shop can include Let's Gear Up and BikingSpirit in Bangalore itself which will offer you a good start for both riding pants, jacket, gloves and a good helmet. It won't harm to pay a visit to D store at Lavelle road as well. Since you are upgrading to a middle weight superbike, I'll also recommend you to consider to buy a pair of good riding shoes. To begin with a short height riding boot for sport biking is what will do the job for you. Prerequisite clearly has to be CE certified, and offer a robust heel cockpit, ankle and toe protection. And yes, do buy rain gear separately. I'm personally not a fan of inbuilt liners and that's what most of gear retailing shops too will recommend.

Wish you all the best and happy shopping

QUOTE=fiesta_21;4455971]Hello everyone, this is just the thread I was looking for. Great informative posts and participation! I am very new to riding gear, all my life I have just worn helmets, gloves and normal shoes. I am planning to upgrade to my first big motorcycle in a couple of months and would like to get myself a proper set of riding gear. As I am very new to riding gears, I am not sure how much to spend exactly and what are the aspects I must consider before buying a particular product. I am planning on buying the Suzuki GSX S750 or the Street Triple S within the next 2 months. I live in Bangalore, if that helps. Here are my requirements (sorry if they're very vague, you're guidance is extremely appreciated).

1. I know for certain that I would be needing a helmet, a jacket (from the small amount of research I have done, a mesh one would be apt. Again, correct me if I am wrong), riding pants, a pair of gloves and riding boots. I am not super rich so don't want to go for the top of the shelf products but again there can be no compromise on quality. How much should I be spending on these products and are there any popular choices here?

2. We all know it rains most of the time in Bangalore. Should I be buying some sort of rain protection sleeve that can be worn above the jacket or should a mesh jacket with an internal rain protection layer do the trick?

3. Regarding riding pants. I saw the riding jeans in the Triumph showroom and the sales guy explained to me about D3O and how good that is for protection. I would love to own something like this as these are way more comfortable that the usual riding pants. Is this move advisable and are there cheaper or better options with other brands? Can I maybe get similar riding jeans and some external protections which can be worn over the jeans if the protection given by the jeans is not enough?

4. (Final one, I promise ) Is there something else I should be getting apart from the above mentioned gear? I am not planning on going to the track. There might be a very odd track day and that's it. Mostly I'll be using the bike for weekend rides and for office commute some days. The rains are to be considered so I am not sure what else it to be bought.[/quote]
Old 28th November 2018, 23:01   #3237
BHPian

Some of the ongoing great closeouts that I've come across on RevZilla catering to Sport, Adv & touring needs which I felt obliged to share. These are my personal favorites across mentioned categories. In case I've missed out on anything worthwhile, please contribute -

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...gore-tex-boots

available for a closeout price of $199. This is a real winner IMHO for a full grain leather Goretex touring boot at this price point. And with the backing of Goretex you simply can't go wrong irrespective of the season!

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...leather-jacket

My next favorite is the Dainese Super Speed D1 perforated leather jacket currently available on a closeout price of $440, which is a massive saving of 45% over it's MSRP. It's sibling in the non-perforated version is available for only 20% less than MSRP. For those of us looking for a perfect companion in leathers, this Italian juggernaut is a clear home run!

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ke-long-gloves

The Dainese 4 stroke long glove is another super premium sport gauntlet glove, again on a closeout price of $150. Unfortunately current sizes are only available in M & L. This glove can be perfectly used for Sport, Dual sport as well as touring commutes. So those of us patiently waiting until now for a mouth watering price, with these fitting sizes, now is the time to pull the trigger.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...gore-tex-boots

This one's for the hard core dual sport / adv guys out there looking for a full grain leather with Goretex and a Michelin sole to seal the deal for a sweet price of $260. Most selling sizes still available so take your pick and you won't regret. Worth every penny spent!

Best to evaluate and exercise above options only if you have the items incoming free to India...aka...relatives / friends getting it for you. With the draconian duties existing, getting them shipped to India will defeat the purpose to buy any of them on a closeout

Happy Shopping
REManiac78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 14:50   #3238
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Can any of you please help me choosing the best 2018 /19 ISI full face helmet? Some consideration which I prefer are :
1. Long oval shape.
2. Light weight.
3. Crash rating.

Thank you!
Old 18th December 2018, 10:09   #3239
BHPian

Hi,

Looking for recommendations in Dubai/ Abu dhabi for places to buy riding gear.

Has anyone bought from there?
How are prices compared to India/ US?
Any recommended stores esp in Dubai mall (dubai) and Yas mall (Abu dhabi)?
Need to buy everything including helmet.
I am visiting in february.

Thanks a lot

Last edited by vikramvicky1984 : 18th December 2018 at 10:15.
Old 28th December 2018, 01:02   #3240
BHPian

Hi,
I am from Ahmedabad and i have been looking out for a riding jacket for quite some time now.
The options available here are aspida, XDI, Rynox, LS2. Would appreciate if someone has any other pointers for where i can look for more jackets.
I have a budget of 8-12k for the jacket.
My riding gear consists of:
1. SMK Helmet
2. Alpinestars SMX 2 Gloves
3. Cramster Knee Protectors

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks