Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2018, 12:46   #3196
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerhack View Post
I'm looking for a summer riding jacket with the following characteristics:

1. Full mesh. As much air as it'll let in.
2. Not black colour. Why soak up all that sunlight? Lighter colours are better.
3. Clean design that I can wear off the bike without looking like a biker.

Anyone got suggestions for another jacket I should be looking at?
I had the exact same requirements as you so I went and ahead bought a Shima X-mesh from store4riders. It doesn't seem to be listed anymore but I'm quite happy with it. This IXS is (visually, at least) very similar to the one I bought. Maybe this is up your alley?
https://www.store4riders.com/ixs-zep...sh-jacket.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Also have a look at Solace.
RE boots don't have that much protection compared to others at same price bracket.
Thanks for sharing. I've been looking for racing boots under 10k for some time now and these seem perfect. Have you used the speed tech or threshold boots? I'm really rather interested in picking one of those up if they're comfortable.

Last edited by BoltThrower : 7th June 2018 at 13:04.
Old 8th June 2018, 09:24   #3197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltThrower View Post
Have you used the speed tech or threshold boots?
My core usage is daily commute, hence had opted for Short shoes from Solace. Have used these in day long rides as well & are quite comfortable for me.
As you already use Shima jacket, have a look at Shima Strada posted by 'dkaile'.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2018, 21:18   #3198
BHPian

After a few weeks of internet research and a whole lot of what King Julian would call "Deep and profound brain things in my head", I finally landed up at the Orion motors store in Blr to pick up some gear.
Helmets! ISI, DOT, ECE, Sharp, Snell.... these words haunt my dreams. Anyway, finally settled on three alternatives. The MT Revenge for its 5 star Sharp rating and unbeatable price (just under 8k). The HJC FG ST (15k) for the added features and fibreglass shell and the AGV K3 SV (19k to 23k depending on the graphics) for the brand allure and obvious reliability. I know that this is a rather broad price range but my aim was to get the best helmet within about 22k and I had an open mind.
Obviously the MT was the first I tried on and even at the XL size (I'm L) the lower part of my face seemed like it was being gripped by a padded vice and I was sure my cheekbones would eventually be crushed. So that was that. Next was the AGV K3 SV and it seemed to have everything that an entry level AGV would have. There was a Matte black listed on their site for about 19k IIRC and it was well within my budget. This seemed to be the obvious choice. Until I tried the HJC. It was the most comfortable of the three and ticked all the boxes as far as I was concerned. Settled on the HJC and moved on to the gloves. Tried the Alpinestars range and did not like the ones which were within my budget (7k). Did not really like the finish on the Rynox and Aspida gloves but was about to pick a Rynox when a name popped into my mind. Shima. The sales rep's eyes lit up and he said that many people have asked for this brand so they just started stocking it. However my size may not be available.
5 min and some rummaging and he managed to get a Shima Xbreeze in M for 4k. The glove looked great and felt better. So I looked no further. The total bill was 19k Rs, and after an hour in the store I walked out a happier and better equipped man. Shopping experience at Orion motors was great and the sales guys really know about the products.
Pics below.
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-20180620_211437.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-20180620_211501.jpg  

Roy.S is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 21st June 2018, 10:45   #3199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
Obviously the MT was the first I tried on and even at the XL size (I'm L) the lower part of my face seemed like it was being gripped by a padded vice and I was sure my cheekbones would eventually be crushed. So that was that.
I ordered the MT Thunder3 SV online from Spartan Pro Gear. I find Medium size from local brands a bit cozy, so I ordered Large.

Ugh, same experience, but now I'm stuck with it. After a few weeks I've become used to the sensation of cheek bones getting crushed, but I really wish there was a way to remove some layers from the padding.
Old 21st June 2018, 10:59   #3200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltThrower View Post
I had the exact same requirements as you so I went and ahead bought a Shima X-mesh from store4riders. It doesn't seem to be listed anymore but I'm quite happy with it. This IXS is (visually, at least) very similar to the one I bought. Maybe this is up your alley?
https://www.store4riders.com/ixs-zep...sh-jacket.html
I ordered the Rev'it Eclipse. The brown is a little darker than expected. The jacket is nice, but after a few weeks with it I'm having second thoughts on the entire mesh jacket category:

1. Even a clean jacket like the Rev'it Eclipse clearly looks like a riding jacket. No ordinary human wears mesh.

2. It's 100% useless off the bike. Offers no protection from rain, wind or aggressive air conditioning. What do I do with it when I get to work? Drape it on my chair and put on something else to make the central aircon tolerable?

3. I have to also carry a rain jacket for the season. It usually stays in my bag. Plus a sweatshirt/wind cheater for morning rides and the aforementioned aircon. Add this and it's three jackets every day.

The mesh riding jacket is the easiest to justify dropping. Mine now sits unused at home on weekdays.
Old 4th July 2018, 00:02   #3201
Distinguished - BHPian

Royal Enfield is currently running a discount sale on apparel and riding gear. This year there doesnt seem to be too much of a buzz about it and I havent seen any adverts from RE. I popped into the RE store, Edapally and checked out the Pushkar jacket, first impressions were good. There only fly in the ointment was that the rear protector was a foam one and the optional Level 1 back protector sold by RE is way too small (compared to the insert in which the foam protector currently is placed). So in case of a fall the optional Level 1 back protector is going to slide around and potentially will not protect your spine.

Do keep in mind that some of the stuff is not on discount, the above mentioned Pushkar jacket isnt. The highly rated Darcha jacket is.

I do want to mention the top notch experience at the Royal Enfield Edapally showroom. The gentleman in charge of accessories / gear was patient and explained the different models to me. He also tried swapping the armour from my A* jacket into the Pushkar but unfortunately it didnt fit. A big thumbs up overall.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2018, 01:44   #3202
BHPian

I'm tempted by the discounted Darcha jacket, but the darned thing is only available in colour choices of black or black. I'd like lighter colours for riding in the sun.
Old 4th July 2018, 08:48   #3203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerhack View Post
I have to also carry a rain jacket for the season. It usually stays in my bag. Plus a sweatshirt/wind cheater for morning rides and the aforementioned aircon. Add this and it's three jackets every day.
I use a DSG Evo jacket which comes along-with a rain liner and a winter liner too worth Rs 5,000/-.

Surprisingly, I have used it in heaviest of rains along-with the rain liner of course and provides excellent feedback.

I am bone dry upon reaching the destination. Surprising but true!

Here's the pic -

The Riding Gear thread-dsg-evo.jpg

Cheers,
Amey
Amey Kulkarni is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2018, 09:40   #3204
BHPian

Last year in the rains I used the Triumph adventure trek jacket and pants which comes with a internal rain liner. Superb quality and VFM for long distance touring. Lots of pockets which are 100 % waterproof. Since it has a internal removable jacket, when worn, and there are no rains humidity and sweat can dehydrate. To remove the rain jacket and pants the outer jacket and pants need to be removed which is very cumbersome. However it works well when it's raining constantly. The outer jacket tends to get heavy when wet.
The Triumph jacket and pants works well( without the rain liners) in winters.

The Riding Gear thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1530936274.163621.jpg
This year, got the Komine mesh jacket and mesh pants for summers. It is very light as compared to the Aspida mesh and has protection on the chest area as well.

The Riding Gear thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1530936318.927112.jpg

In the rains, got the Fly racing rain jacket and pants which can be worn over the Komine mesh jacket and pants.
Easy to wear and remove as and when it rains. The Fly Racing rain jacket and pants is 100 % waterproof. Used it for a 2100 km ride last weekend to Bhadravati national park. Great quality and VFM. Moreover when it's not raining open up the front zip and air flow to the inside mesh jacket is great.
Or else the rain wear can be removed and stored in the Panniers and worn quickly if it rains.

The Riding Gear thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1530936355.944359.jpg

Considering the humidity, my preference is to wear a rain jacket/Pant over the mesh jacket /pants.

Next year planning on buying Gore Tex jacket and pants for the rains.
Old 16th July 2018, 12:44   #3205
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Would any of you know where i can buy a pair of Draggin jeans in India / Bangalore? Your help would be highly appreciated. Thank you!
Old 19th July 2018, 10:01   #3206
Distinguished - BHPian

I was looking for a good multi season jacket that I can use for touring and I found the few reviews that I could find of the RE Darcha to be quite favourable. Since it is based on a well proven Revit jacket, I think its an excellent jacket at the reduced price that it is selling for now (~ Rs 14,000 after RE discount).

When I went to check the jacket in person, I was told that RE doesnt have stock of the jacket in stores or on their website (except for size S). However I was pointed to the Khardung La jacket (also available at Rs 14,000 though no discount is applicable on it) which is very similar to the Darcha but isnt made together with Revit. I would say it is 90+ % the same as the Darcha, the visible noticeable difference being the shape of the pockets in the front. The one thing that Im not 100% convinced about is the back protector that is being sold as an optional accessory for Rs 2,000. It isnt the same size as the cutout in the jacket i.e. it is narrower than the widest part of the cutout. The suggestion from the RE staff was to use it as a middle layer between my back and the foam insert which would hold it in place. The mouth / entry of the back insert is also too narrow to allow my Sastech back insert to be placed but the suggestion given by the RE staff was that I could remove the stitching done on the jacket and get it altered to ensure the Sastech back insert can go in.

Does anyone have any experience with the Khardung La jacket? Any thoughts on the back insert?
Old 19th July 2018, 10:32   #3207
BHPian

Does anyone know which Rev'it jacket the Darcha is based on?
Old 15th August 2018, 00:53   #3208
Distinguished - BHPian

I need to buy the riding gears except helmet which I procured from Spartan Pro gear, 3 months back. I believe there is an Auto show happening in Chennai Trade Centre on 26 Aug or so and Spartan might have their counter with discounts (last year, they seemed to give 20%) - has anyone heard more on this year's participation??

Edit:: Do we have any stores in Chennai who deal with Shima products? I have never bought these gears before, so a trial is must before I buy. Also any better recommendations other than Spartan, in the same range for gloves, pants, jackets & boots??

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 15th August 2018 at 00:55.
Old 27th August 2018, 19:16   #3209
Distinguished - BHPian

Purchased a jacket & boots from Spartan Pro Gear, Uthandi showroom. I was feeling quite bored on Sunday afternoon and thought I'll take a look at the products in the showroom.

Had a 25% discount on the Icarus jacket and 35% on the boots (Eclipse). Am told the boots is water resistant. Now, I can think of going for a ride with extended confidence and peace than the last long ride. Bought a normal gloves from Scimitar as well. Will go for a full gauntlet later.

The Riding Gear thread-img20180826wa0008.jpeg

The Riding Gear thread-img20180826wa0010.jpeg

Have set my eyes on the Solace riding pants with Sastec 2 protector - the guy is out of stock now and will get it after a month I guess (ReGear, Vadapalani). At Spartan, they also had a Macna riding pant, but no discount though it is the last piece.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 27th August 2018 at 19:19.
swiftnfurious is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 09:18   #3210
BHPian

Bought Triumph LLANGOLLEN JEANS - BLACK during Independence Ride sale at Triumph Pune.

A few features are listed below -

1. For all season riding and with the rain liner, it is 100% water proof including the pockets
2. Outer is a heavy duty canvas look material
3. Removable CE certified D3o® protectors knees and hips
4. Removable TriTex waterproof, windproof and breathable liner
5. Zip-off into shorts when off the bike
6. Multiple pockets
7. Webbing belt

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 2443
Size:  83.5 KB

Cheers,
Amey
Amey Kulkarni is online now   (4) Thanks