Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2015, 18:57   #2671
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyRo View Post
Hi guys - I've tried searching this forum for reviews, but since I haven't found (at least I think me search was correct), I'm posting on this thread. Can anyone here please put up a review or link to the review of TBG's 1 piece race suit? I tried Google & YouTube, but never did find any reviews about this suit. Thanks in advance.!
Again, sorry if this is a repost, but i did try to search using the key word "TBG" & nothing came up apart from one guy's 1 liner comment, who also has never personally owned it. Hence this post.
This is a rather niche product, so dont be waiting for detailed user review anywhere. Since you are in Bangy, please head over to the TBG shop and try one on. Some things to look out for:

Fit - It needs to be very snug. You should not be able to straighten out your spine and walk around like you normally would. It should be tugging at your crotch a bit if you do try and straighten your spine. If you plan to wear your suit with some additional protection underneath (armoured shirt / spine guard), try the suit on whilst wearing it all
Armour - Most suits come with removable armour. Whats preferred is the hard "GP style" layered armour as opposed to just the soft armour you usually find in textile gear
Sliders - Hard plastic / metal embedded in areas prone to impact in a crash (shoulders, knees, elbows). Also, see if the suit comes with the removable / velcro-able knee pucks. If not, you can buy relatively cheap ones here - http://www.cramster.in/Products/Cram...d-1333233.aspx
Stretch panels - Check for these on the back of the suit where your arm meets the shoulder, the crotch, knees etc. Wear the suit and squat down. The suit should move with you. There will of course be some break in involved and a brand new suit may feel a bit tight, but should not be prohibitively so
Seams - Try and stretch the areas that are stitched, like you are trying to split the seams. If you are able to stretch the seams, the product is garbage. In fact, this holds good for any motorcycle apparel
Overall comfort - The suit will not be very comfortable of course and will stretch as you break it in. But check for things that are causing additional discomfort, such as the armour poking you. This wont go away with any amount of break in
Things to watch out for - As natural and comfortable as the suit feels on the motorcycle, it will be a tad uncomfortable off it. It will get better though as it sees more use. Some suits can be a bit short in the leg. Thats Ok. Not all suits are supposed to reach your ankles. These will get covered by a full race boot. Mine for example falls somewhere between my calf and ankle when on the bike. Whats more important is the placement of armour. See if it falls in place and should NOT move around. Try and go for a perforated suit as it will help in keeping you cooler. Trust me, those tiny holes make a HUGE difference when you are hurtling down the straight at 170 KMPH

Also see if the internal liner on the TBG suit is removable. Most entry level / budget suits have a fixed liner, so you cannot wash it. If TBG is offering removable liner then awesome

Lastly, do check out the AGV entry level suit which retails around 35k. Its a perennial favorite of folks in Delhi and is good value. I would say go for TBG only if it is offering a lot more at a similar price. Else the tried and tested AGV should fit the bill

Hope this helps. Do hit me with additional questions if you have any. Take care!
Urban_Nomad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 23:05   #2672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Not a worry as long as he is not flashing it separately and simply packs it in with the rest of the clothing.

If this helps. Thus far me, my wonderful friends and relatives have carried:

4 pairs of motorcycle boots
A one piece leather race suit
3 pairs of gloves
2 jackets
Pants
2 full face helmets
2 pairs elbow guards
2 pairs knee guards
Replacement armour for jacket (CE back pad) and pants (CE hip and knee armour)

Jeez, I really need to stop ordering gear
Sir, Just curious to know what all brands the above list covers and how good they are?
Old 18th December 2015, 23:21   #2673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
Sir, Just curious to know what all brands the above list covers and how good they are?
Arrey Venkat bhai, no sir shir please. Karan will do just fine. Here goes:

4 pairs of motorcycle boots -
Alpinestars SMX R - Track / Commuting / touring boot. My absolute fav
Alpinestars Ridge - Commuting
Sidi Mx boots - Off road and commuting
TCX X square air - For the wife

A one piece leather race suit - Cortech Latigo

4 pairs of gloves (correction)
Rev It full gauntlet (cannot recollect model name) - Track / Touring / Sometimes commuting. The best pair of gloves I've ever owned
Dainese piston short cuff - Commuting, very little used
Scorpion Skrub - Textile Extremely Hot weather glove for commuting
First gear Mojave - for the wife

2 jackets -
Teknic Aquavent mesh jacket
Alpinestars Stella Rebel Jacket - for the wife

Pants - Klim Mojave mesh pants

2 full face helmets
GMax GM 68
Bell RS 1

2 pairs elbow guards
A thor tube type and Shift enforcer guards

2 pairs knee guards
Dainese EV something knee gaurds
Thor Sector knee guards

You have pretty accurate online reviews for most of the above. if you are looking for feedback on any one in particular, please let me know

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 18th December 2015 at 23:22.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2015, 17:06   #2674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
I was on the lookout for an entry-level jacket and gloves a couple of weeks ago. Checked out offerings from LS2, Spartan and DSG. Ended up buying DSG Evo jacket and DSG Moto Mesh gloves from the brand store in Juhu. The jacket is comfortable and the build quality is good for the price (5k). The gloves lack a bit in terms of quality but again decent for the price (1k). Used the jacket with the rain liner and happy to report that it worked perfectly. The T-Shirt remained completely dry. The gloves also dry up pretty fast once you ride in no rains.

Overall, happy with the purchase and can recommend these products to anyone on the lookout for basic gear.
Mate, how is the jacket doing? After your post, I copy pasted you. The adjustment button in LHS arm got worn off.
Gave it to Planet DSG for repairing it. Even after more than 1 month, these guys have not repaired it. It should take hardly a day for them. Just thinking what to do.
Old 19th December 2015, 17:23   #2675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelemail View Post
Mate, how is the jacket doing? After your post, I copy pasted you. The adjustment button in LHS arm got worn off.
Gave it to Planet DSG for repairing it. Even after more than 1 month, these guys have not repaired it. It should take hardly a day for them. Just thinking what to do.
Well, I didn't use the DSG EVO much. Got a chance and upgraded to an Alpinestar about two months ago But till the time I had it, I didn't face any issue with respect to the adjustment button. If the store isn't able to sort out the issue, get it done from a good tailor. Most certainly they would be able to do it.

Coming to the Alpinestar, got the Alux waterproof textile jacket which the company claims is for all weather riding. Have used the jacket a fair few times in the past two months and it has been nice. The fit, finish and comfort is excellent. That is expected from a jacket costing Rs. 17,500/- But, the jacket isn't suited for riding in heavy traffic conditions during summer months (>30 degrees) as one does tend to feel hot inside since the amount of air passing through the jacket isn't as much as a mesh jacket. However, as soon as you are on the move, the air flow system that the jacket has helps keep you cool. The waterproofing part is perfect and not even a drop of water gets inside. Overall I am very happy with it and would recommend it to anyone looking at a good textile jacket.
Old 19th December 2015, 21:46   #2676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Arrey Venkat bhai, no sir shir please. Karan will do just fine. Here goes:

4 pairs of motorcycle boots -
Alpinestars SMX R - Track / Commuting / touring boot. My absolute fav
Alpinestars Ridge - Commuting
Sidi Mx boots - Off road and commuting
TCX X square air - For the wife

A one piece leather race suit - Cortech Latigo

4 pairs of gloves (correction)
Rev It full gauntlet (cannot recollect model name) - Track / Touring / Sometimes commuting. The best pair of gloves I've ever owned
Dainese piston short cuff - Commuting, very little used
Scorpion Skrub - Textile Extremely Hot weather glove for commuting
First gear Mojave - for the wife

2 jackets -
Teknic Aquavent mesh jacket
Alpinestars Stella Rebel Jacket - for the wife

Pants - Klim Mojave mesh pants

2 full face helmets
GMax GM 68
Bell RS 1

2 pairs elbow guards
A thor tube type and Shift enforcer guards

2 pairs knee guards
Dainese EV something knee gaurds
Thor Sector knee guards

You have pretty accurate online reviews for most of the above. if you are looking for feedback on any one in particular, please let me know

Thats quite comprehensive Guess it must have taken sometime and deal watching online for few months/days to acquire such stuff. I am not able to restrict myself from ordering stuff. Need to stop ordering riding gear since I am running out of space to stock them at home. And yeah need to order for my wife also in a few months time. Guess will read reviews from the stuff you have mentioned and keep an eye out for deals.
whencut86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2015, 10:58   #2677
Senior - BHPian

Rynox has launched riding pants with adjustable knee guards and I am thinking about getting them. Any feedback about rynox products?

I checked out spartan riding pants. I am 6' 2" tall and could not find a comfortable fit. 'L' size was out of stock, which seems to be the correct size for me. The product quality was just ok.
Old 24th December 2015, 20:15   #2678
BHPian

Went to Orion motors to check out some riding gloves and they had DSG Moto mesh (little over 1k) and Revive (2.6k) Nitro was out of stock.

The Moto mesh didnt appear very durable and was more like a grip. The Revive was bulky and the knuckle guards appeared very stiff. Being a new rider, wasnt sure how convenient these would be.

Went to Megha enterprises later to pick up a helmet and saw a pair of leather gloves (Aspida IIRC) priced around 3.5 k. Was told fresh stock is expected next week so chose to hold until next week.

Any reviews on the gloves mentioned above and any recommendations on gloves? Willing to stretch my budget upto 3.5k
Old 29th December 2015, 21:14   #2679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
Thats quite comprehensive Guess it must have taken sometime and deal watching online for few months/days to acquire such stuff. I am not able to restrict myself from ordering stuff. Need to stop ordering riding gear since I am running out of space to stock them at home. And yeah need to order for my wife also in a few months time. Guess will read reviews from the stuff you have mentioned and keep an eye out for deals.
Ha ha. I know what you mean

And you are absolutely correct. Most of my gear was bought either on closeouts, or I bought it used. Barely used stuff goes for peanuts abroad I tell you. For example - my "barely used without a singular scratch" A Stars SMX R boots cost me around INR 4500 bucks IIRC. Just fantastic value

But yes, it took a lot of patience, some skill with online bidding and a bit of networking to put it together. For someone who is an "I want it now" person, this formula will never work
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2016, 20:52   #2680
BHPian

Got the TBG ADV Breed Jacket from Lets Gear Up at HSR. Damage was Rs 7950. Am a new entrant into the world of riding and all the accouterments that come with it but having done some research believed that this was the best option at this price level (with the closest competitor being the SPG ASPIDA Helios retailing for maybe a hundred bucks less (the TBG one has CE rated back armour and level 2 armours all round while the SPG one's back armour isnt CE rated) Also heard a lot about the Rynox Tornado but didnt have the patience to try that out.

There are enough reviews on it on this thread and the only bit I could add is try it on and ensure that you get as snug a fit as you can, err on the tighter side if you must since you will break it in after it has graced your back for some miles. No point in the protective bits sliding around in case of a tumble.

Had also got the TBG Street leather gloves from LGU for 3.5k approx. So far so good. Its quite comfy and the feel of the levers on the fingers through the material is also pretty good.

LGU has just received a fresh consignment of the ADV, just in case folks were planning on picking up one. Standard disclaimer of no personal commercial interest with them applies
hothatchaway is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 12:13   #2681
BHPian

I am looking for a good pair of riding gloves, any recommendations or online stores which have good deals going on. I was earlier planning to go for SP2 however currently will need to defer the plan for few months, till then something to live with will do.
Old 5th January 2016, 12:48   #2682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
I am looking for a good pair of riding gloves, any recommendations or online stores which have good deals going on. I was earlier planning to go for SP2 however currently will need to defer the plan for few months, till then something to live with will do.
Do you have a budget in mind? I picked up a pair of TBG Street leather gloves with Knox armour for 3.5k from Lets Gear Up. No discounts were offered.

These are short cuffs and not full gauntlet and the quality is pretty good. I took a couple of days to get used to the feel on levers through the material and now am used to them.

You seem to be on a budget though and if its absolutely stop gap you can look at DSG Moto mesh (very little protection) which retails for about 1k
Old 5th January 2016, 16:26   #2683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Do you have a budget in mind? I picked up a pair of TBG Street leather gloves with Knox armour for 3.5k from Lets Gear Up. No discounts were offered.

These are short cuffs and not full gauntlet and the quality is pretty good. I took a couple of days to get used to the feel on levers through the material and now am used to them.

You seem to be on a budget though and if its absolutely stop gap you can look at DSG Moto mesh (very little protection) which retails for about 1k
Budget is around 2-3K maybe a bit more if the product is good quality, thanks for the inputs will check the TBG.
Old 5th January 2016, 19:27   #2684
Distinguished - BHPian

Dainese V E1 N Knee guards

Bought myself a pair of Dainese V E1 N Knee guards after much research and reviews. It is a very well designed and built and a well fitting knee guard. Has three adjustable Velcro straps for snug fit. Once put on it feels very comfortable and can walk around without any issues. The inner side of the guards have a soft ventilated padding so there is sufficient airflow if worn outside the pants. They are also pretty comfortable even on the inside.

The armor itself is hard plastic and feels sturdy. The guards cover a good part of the leg until a couple of inches above the ankle. There is an extra flap on top of the knee cup which provides additional protection to the top area of the ankle and protects it from abrasion.

All in all , a very good purchase. Happy with it!
Old 21st January 2016, 12:37   #2685
BHPian

Re: Dainese V E1 N Knee guards

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Bought myself a pair of Dainese V E1 N Knee guards after much research and reviews
All in all , a very good purchase. Happy with it!
Hi Sagar,

could you tell me where you bought it from and how much you paid for them? I've been looking for new knee guards to replace my aging Thor Quadrants.

I particularly like that the Dainese guards have a third strap over the knee which helps conform when you bend your leg at the knees.

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks