Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2015, 10:52   #2161
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

As the day to buy my Spartan Atlas nears, the heat of Bangalore at 10:00AM is giving me second thoughts. I wear full sleeved formal shirts to office and certainly do not want to be a stinking mess when I reach office after the 18km ride to office.

That said, would it be a wiser option to buy the Spartan Icarus? Or is there any thing I can wear under the vest to absorb sweat?
Old 17th February 2015, 11:21   #2162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
As the day to buy my Spartan Atlas nears, the heat of Bangalore at 10:00AM is giving me second thoughts. I wear full sleeved formal shirts to office and certainly do not want to be a stinking mess when I reach office after the 18km ride to office.

That said, would it be a wiser option to buy the Spartan Icarus? Or is there any thing I can wear under the vest to absorb sweat?
You'll thank yourself if you choose Icarus over Atlas.

I commute 22km daily(~50 min) wearing Helios. During summers, I sweat considerably when standing in traffic signals/jams even as early as 9.30AM. A textile jacket will kill you in BLR traffic during summers. Get the Icarus and use the rain liner on colder days
Old 17th February 2015, 11:44   #2163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
You'll thank yourself if you choose Icarus over Atlas.

I commute 22km daily(~50 min) wearing Helios. During summers, I sweat considerably when standing in traffic signals/jams even as early as 9.30AM. A textile jacket will kill you in BLR traffic during summers. Get the Icarus and use the rain liner on colder days
Just what I thought. It gets horrible while just standing still while wearing just a shirt. I can barely imagine how bad it would be with a jacket that allows paltry amount of air in.

The Icarus then? It seems like the most logical choice. The last thing I want to do is buy a jacket and then leave it at home because it is unwearable in Bangalore weather.
Old 17th February 2015, 13:49   #2164
BHPian

Quote:
Just what I thought. It gets horrible while just standing still while wearing just a shirt. I can barely imagine how bad it would be with a jacket that allows paltry amount of air in.

The Icarus then? It seems like the most logical choice. The last thing I want to do is buy a jacket and then leave it at home because it is unwearable in Bangalore weather.
I have a similar formal dress code while I ride to my office from BTM to Yemalur which is around 14 KMs along the ring road.

I have been using a DSG Nero for the last 2 years. All those ventilation chains open all time. You will sweat but it is manageable. They protect well.

I sweat less normally though.

Are great against rain as well. There is a cold liner as well. I have come across these:

Anyone has used them or know if they actually work or just another attempt to make a motorcycler look like a storm trooper ?

http://www.zeusmotorcyclegear.com/co...rcycle-jackets
Old 17th February 2015, 14:20   #2165
BHPian

Quote:

Hello Buddy,
I'm using the Spartan Icarus daily for office commute (~18-20 kms one way) for 4 months in Pune. When you're on the move it's breezy, you can feel the air through it! But at standstill you start sweating, mainly in the arms. It's already pretty sunny in Pune too so I try to wear half sleeve shirts/t-shirts.
One more thing, if possible take a trial wearing a formal shirt, as I find the jacket's collar too tight with a shirt's collar.
In the winter months I had to use the rain liner as a wind shield and it served the purpose. I was caught in a sudden cloud burst and the rain liner kept my torso dry!
Other notable options:
1. Rynox Air GT
http://www.rynoxgears.com/index.php/...acket-172.html
2. DSG EVO
http://www.planetdsg.com/dsg-evo-jacket-p-1878.html
Both mesh jackets and both have the extra thermal liner also.

Hope this helps!
Old 17th February 2015, 19:44   #2166
BHPian

Probiker shoes , basic quality and serves the purpose. Reasonably priced 4.2K appx
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-img_2929.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_2930.jpg  

yogisays0909 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2015, 08:58   #2167
BHPian

Amazon India launches gear section

http://www.amazon.in/b/ref=br_imp_ara-1?_encoding=UTF8&node=4772060031&pf_rd_m=A1VBAL9TL 5WCBF&pf_rd_s=desktop-hero-1&pf_rd_r=0TPVC7DBAYMYPMF0M426&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd _p=585628227&pf_rd_i=desktop
munchy_cool is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2015, 13:30   #2168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchy_cool View Post
Amazon India launches gear section
That's a good find! Good stuff. Hope they bring in some good stuff and make it easy for us to get our hands on quality stuff.
Old 19th February 2015, 17:36   #2169
Senior - BHPian

I need an ultra light weight full face helmet under 5k. This would be for scooter use. About 40kms a day.
I already have an Arai rx7-gp but that isnt really light and i cant use it everyday.
Any suggestions?
Old 19th February 2015, 20:15   #2170
Senior - BHPian

For a scooter, I would suggest a studds helmet like the "shifter". Do se that it fits u well though. Haven't found a single studds helmet that fits my 56 mm head properly. Read - too loose
Old 21st February 2015, 12:54   #2171
BHPian

Hello Guys,

I was looking for a pair of riding boots under 10k and I came across this,

http://www.cramster.in/categories/Cr...U00235342.aspx

Puma riding boots up for grabs!

Any review of Tarmac Tour boots from Bachoo motors? What other options do we have in the touring range which would last long!
Old 21st February 2015, 19:17   #2172
BHPian

How is the service provided by SPG?

Am looking for a new helmet. Went to a local store who sells LS2, Sols & KYT. He was fairly knowledgeable of SPG gear, and though he said their products are good, he advised me against it saying that he has had very bad experiences with SGP w.r.t communication, service and availability of parts.

Would appreciate your experience/insights.
Old 21st February 2015, 20:48   #2173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumithb View Post
How is the service provided...of parts
Having owned 2 SOL, 1 MT, a SPG jacket & gloves that are lasting for 40000+ Km, I think I'm little qualified to express my views better that are ofcourse unbiased.

SPG is a pure retailer when it comes to selling helmets. They DON'T manufacture helmets, but they make jackets, gloves, riding shoes, basically anything that has SPG as brand is what they make. And whatever they make, they put good amount of efforts to fix genuine issues (have come across a case where a customer was angry because his helmet was slightly broken on the third day when he fell off at track & he was claiming refund/replacement for it :eek

So, when it comes to helmet, they've almost no control except to talking to manufacturer to fix/replace things, which may or may not take time depending upon issues.

If there're issues about what they make such as gloves, jacket, shoes that they make, they fix them depending upon the genuineness of the issue.

Getting back to track, if you're looking for good helmet, SOL is the way to go, undoubtedly the best one that no Indian manufacturer can beat for now.

Last edited by aargee : 21st February 2015 at 20:49.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2015, 21:16   #2174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
SPG is a pure retailer when it comes to selling helmets. They DON'T manufacture helmets, but they make jackets, gloves, riding shoes, basically anything that has SPG as brand is what they make.

Getting back to track, if you're looking for good helmet, SOL is the way to go, undoubtedly the best one that no Indian manufacturer can beat for now.
@aargee: Appreciate your response. I agree that SPG don't manufacture the helmets, but they do need to supply the spares. I am interested in MT Matrix, so I was calling around checking if spares are available. However, here in Mumbai nobody has the visor for it, that's a bummer. Spares for LS2 and SOL are easily available.

On other note, SOL do not fit me well. LS2, however fits beautifully especially FF396 with its air-pump system can be adjusted for a perfect fit. Also, I user prescription glasses and LS2 has some models with specific support for this.

However, I still am looking to try out MT Blade & Matrix before I decide (if spares are available). I am very finicky about the visor not having too many scratches and end up changing them every year or two.
Old 21st February 2015, 22:51   #2175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumithb View Post
@aargee: Appreciate your response...very finicky about the visor not having too many scratches and end up changing them every year or two.
SOL is available as their channel of distribution has changed from SPG to someone else in India, so the brand is not dead here for now. Since you're interested in MT, please go through my post few pages back on it.

MT no doubt is THE BEST fit one can get but it seem to howl very bad. May be a sticker or something should fix the issue; contemplating to try it out for a while now, but there're other priorities.

LS2 - No comments

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks