Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2008, 22:12   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
All the major brands abroad like AGV, ARAI & SHOEI offer a 5 year warranty with their helmets because they recommend you change the helmet after that period even if you havent dropped or crashed it.
I remember reading an interesting article in Readers Digest 6-7 years ago. It said that a team of experts at some Univ in the UK did a study on how helmets lose their function and become weak.The study was done in area where weather conditions vary a lot,and as is in the case in India,summers are quite severe and this leads to a fraction of expansion and contraction and hence the chances of the helmet cracking are much higher.

We can imagine how the cheap quality helmets work.One hard hit and it would snap without offering any resistance.
Old 6th January 2008, 00:55   #32
Senior - BHPian

Infact it is said that the "shelf life" of a helmet is 5 years. And as for those cheap helmets, They are sold on the street where they are exposed to the elements all day so they've got a head start!
Old 6th January 2008, 01:02   #33
Senior - BHPian

We need to have a helmet testing and rating system like they do in the US. Snell system and my Shoei is a Snell95.
Old 6th January 2008, 01:16   #34
Senior - BHPian

You're going to keep wanting that for a long time bro. Looking at the way A.R.A.I works in Pune, putting 'saree guards' on the R1???!!!!! Damn!!!
Old 6th January 2008, 01:21   #35
Senior - BHPian

One more thing is that a helmet if involved in a crash should be discarded and a new one should take its place. I doubt how many people follow this in our country. When they spend so much in getting their bike and their body repaired, it doesnt hurt to spend those extra bucks for a safety accessory.
Old 6th January 2008, 01:40   #36
Senior - BHPian

More importantly, if you dont have a head left after a crash, you ain't going to have much to go back to!
Old 6th January 2008, 18:58   #37
BHPian

After going through the whole thread I am beguining to wonder about the quality of the lid I use.

It is a 'Globe' make and 'Turbo' model.

Have any one of you heard of it before?
Old 6th January 2008, 23:07   #38
Senior - BHPian

forget the use of clip part. I and Sankar saw a lady wearing a helmet the wrong way. It was a half face helmet.

And also saw people making a march to protest helmet use. This time a lady used empty melon skins/shell while other a earthen clay pot.
Old 6th January 2008, 23:45   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chvvkumar View Post
After going through the whole thread I am beguining to wonder about the quality of the lid I use.

It is a 'Globe' make and 'Turbo' model.

Have any one of you heard of it before?
Globe is a decent make, they have ISI Certification.
Old 7th January 2008, 08:15   #40
BANNED

While we are on the helmet topic, how many people have you seen change their visors for night time riding. I remember my friend crashing into a middle aged man, as he could see nothing while wearing a heavily tinted helmet, on a cold evening. Fortunately or infortunately (for my friend) nothing happenned to this man, and my friend ended getting beaten up.

As others have noted, the probability of things getting messed up is hardly considered by a majority of people. In this case of wearing tinted visors after dark, the probability of crashing into people, animals, & vehicles without lights is very high. Its close to riding blind folded.

People should buy a decent ISI/DOT/SNELL rated helmet.
Buy spare tinted and non tinted visors, no compromise when it comes to visibility. There are anti fog coating/sprays available, very important for those cold mornings and evenings.
Wear the right fit (not share with brother, sister, aunt etc). The helmet should not move by more than half an inch when you spin your head while wearing the helmet.
Check for a good fit every time you wear a helmet, buy replacement cushions, & cheek pads to fit right. If you have a good helmet it will last you a few years.

And for heavens sake, people should stop taking their helmets off to take their cell phone calls but continue riding. How busy can anyone be, that they decide to risk everything?

Rant off....

Last edited by prasadee : 7th January 2008 at 08:27.
Old 7th January 2008, 10:39   #41
Senior - BHPian

You see it's all about looking 'COOL', like STREETHAWK!! Even if that means you end up being a 'FOOL'.
Old 7th January 2008, 18:43   #42
Senior - BHPian

I use a Vega Helmet, its been two years since i bought this one.

Finally, can any one suggest me a good helmet. I normally ride my bike(suzuki zeus) between 30kmph and 60kmph. Once in a while, when going on trips with friends(most of them having higher capacity bikes) will be doing between 60k and 80k.

raj.
Old 7th January 2008, 18:54   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

For regular Indian bikes buying a good branded helmet is the basic must before riding. And for super bikes, apart from a branded and strong helmet, good quality gloves and elbow and knee pads are also a must.
Old 7th January 2008, 22:09   #44
Senior - BHPian

I often wonder why people with a fair amout of education tend to ignore such an important aspect such as wearing a helmet while riding a bike. I know a bunch of guys who'd prefer to wear a hat,than wear a helmet since it wouldn't crumple their hair more than a hat does. Especially in college,this used to be the most common statment to avoid wearing a helmet.
Little do these people realise,if they don't wear helmets,they'd probably have no head left for the hair to grown on,once its been squished by a heavy vehicle.
Old 8th January 2008, 00:23   #45
Senior - BHPian

I wear armored jackets, gloves & my AGV rossi replica helmet even on my RX-135. I believe that even this bike is fast enough to get me seriously injured or even killed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks