Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2012, 23:30   #166
BHPian

Re: Using a Helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
In Mumbai I have observed riders remove the helmet the moment they turn into a small lane or a locality where no traffic police will be posted (may be nearing home from work). The logic I guess is at slow speeds there can be no damage but a slip and the head crashing against the foothpath @30kph can be as fatal as a high speed highway accident.
These people cannot be logical. No cops means no helmet. That's it. And this foolery is not limited to Mumbai only. Everywhere across the country this is followed as a thumb-rule by numpties. Anyway, what's the use of a helmet on a head that's not worth it!

If you come to Noida, the cops are very friendly here. Nobody is stopped for not using a helmet. Instead of that, if you wear a helmet you might get a damn good thrashing by these cops. I remember one fine night, when I was riding back home past a deserted street. The lights in that area were dim and it was quite dark. Must be around 9-9.30 pm. There was a patrol car and 3 cops. One of them hauled me up and queried, 'Itni raat ko helmet pehan k kahan jaa rha hai? Chain-snatcher hai kya!' (why are you riding with a helmet on in the dark? Chain-snatcher?)

He was so displeased with my helmet that he checked everything possible he could so as to confirm that I am not a criminal. And only then he allowed me let go...
Old 2nd April 2012, 15:57   #167
BHPian

Ha ha ha, Chain Snatcher? Because you were wearing a helmet, That kind of sums up the riding safety situation in our country.
Old 9th April 2012, 15:46   #168
Team-BHP Support

I shifted my home.
Some 17 kms away from my earlier place.

So went to my old home today morning by bus to get back my bike.

I took my helmet along with me and rode the bike over to my office and will go back home.

I saw my reflection while waiting for a bus. Helmet in hand. I saw in me all the bikers here.

One word to describe us: Aware.

We know that Riding a bike without a helmet is almost the same as attempting suicide.
Old 19th April 2012, 16:49   #169
BHPian

Re: Motorcycle Safety; Wearing helmets

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
"Carbon fiber, apart from its great strength and ultra light weight is considered a material which is associated with fast and ultra exclusive machines. That’s one of the reasons why auto aficionados are always ready to shell out more money for stuff made from the material. The Rs. 10,000 price tag is where the range starts"

Cheers!

Steelbird offers new carbon fiber helmet range, starting Rs 10,000!
Has anyone bought/used this helmet or seen it on the market. I read these articles but don't seem to find it in any shop nor have it seen it on the roads. (I also cant find this on the steelbird website)
Any idea if this is available online?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for a good VFM lightweight full face helmet? (doesnt have to be carbon fiber)
Old 18th March 2013, 15:32   #170
Team-BHP Support

A 20 something maid who used to work at my in-laws died on Saturday.

She was sweeping her own home and slipped on the stairs. She was on the third step. So its not even like a fall from a great height or anything.

Just goes to show how fragile the human head is.

Please wear your helmets. You are at way greater risk on a motorcycle.
Old 19th March 2013, 22:28   #171
BHPian

In India, even the so called ISI helmets fails to protect anything inside it. Be it the one with ISI or the cheap roadside one, quality still remains pathetic. Here in Kerala I happened to know about one incident in which the rider died on the spot with a shattered skull. The ISI certified helmet he was wearing just shattered into pieces on the impact. So, take the golden path,go for helmets that are certified by European or American safety standards. This will at least save your head.

Ride Safe
Old 19th March 2013, 23:12   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678 View Post
In India, even the so called ISI helmets fails to protect anything inside it. Be it the one with ISI or the cheap roadside one, quality still remains pathetic. Here in Kerala I happened to know about one incident in which the rider died on the spot with a shattered skull. The ISI certified helmet he was wearing just shattered into pieces on the impact. So, take the golden path,go for helmets that are certified by European or American safety standards. This will at least save your head.

Ride Safe
As I mentioned somewhere earlier - those helmets that are stickered ISI - are not any close to the I of ISI. Similar case with helmets stickered with EU or US standards - Unless one goes for a reputed brand - the stickers, I don't think guarantees any standard.
Old 25th March 2013, 17:33   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
A 20 something maid who used to work at my in-laws died on Saturday.

She was sweeping her own home and slipped on the stairs. She was on the third step. So its not even like a fall from a great height or anything.

Just goes to show how fragile the human head is.

Please wear your helmets. You are at way greater risk on a motorcycle.
Ah yes, reminds me of the first time I realized just how important helmets are. We were in college sitting outside at some tea stall and a friend was riding by. Going about 10 or 20 in first gear and skidded on some sand. Literally fell over sideways in slow motion. Not a scratch on his body except his head hit the ground. No external injuries to the head either but died a day or two later of a brain aneurysm. Scary.

And there was a case of an uncle of mine who died as he tripped getting out of his jeep and fell, hitting his head on a stone. Again something similar. Internal bleeding.

The human head is fragile and we tempt it by riding at speed without a helmet. I cannot believe we do not have a law that says the pillion rider must obligatorily have a helmet as well. Sad reflection of our value of human life
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 22:00   #174
BHPian

Importance of helmets. No further explanation required.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=817921734885153
Old 15th February 2015, 06:55   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678 View Post
Here in Kerala I happened to know about one incident in which the rider died on the spot with a shattered skull. The ISI certified helmet he was wearing just shattered into pieces on the impact. So, take the golden path,go for helmets that are certified by European or American safety standards. This will at least save your head.

Ride Safe
Here in Kerala the police charge if you are wearing a helmet without an ISI mark. I have friends who use all sorts of safety (that includes riding jackets, gloves and necessary knee protections) and needless to say, have all the proper documents and maintain their rides in pristine order. The police however cant appreciate that, will charge a fine because their "European Standard Helmets" do not come with an ISI mark. Aren't they aware that DOT certified helmets are safer that most ISI stickered helmets or are they that keen on keeping rules to the word?

I mean, there's a limit for shamelessness.
Old 15th February 2015, 13:17   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrsooraj View Post
Aren't they aware that DOT certified helmets are safer that most ISI stickered helmets or are they that keen on keeping rules to the word?

That's exactly what I told to one of my friends who bought a DOT certified helmet. Because, they will pass even a 200 rupees helmet with the fake ISI branding as legit but they would fine you for not having that stupid ISI mark on your 7k rupees helmet!

Illiteracy at its peak.

-Bhargav
Old 15th February 2015, 13:34   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
That's exactly what I told to one of my friends who bought a DOT certified helmet. Because, they will pass even a 200 rupees helmet with the fake ISI branding as legit but they would fine you for not having that stupid ISI mark on your 7k rupees helmet!

Illiteracy at its peak.

-Bhargav
I feel it is impossible to teach someone the importance of helmet unless they have seen/experienced something bad happen first hand.

I have heard, 'chote sahar main waise accidents jai hoti' (Such accidents don't happen in small towns)

I went for a breakfast ride to Kolar coffee day in the morning today and there was a new person who joined us. Needless to say, came without a helmet. Took him back to his home and got him to wear a helmet his friend had and he was thankful to me once we reached there.

I started wearing it from day 1 of my riding life as I already knew a friend who passed away because of no helmet. Now, i cannot ride without a full faced one even if i want to. Doesn't matter heat, rain or whatever !

Also, recently learnt that visor down is a great idea ! I was one a lane waiting behind a car. A noob splendour rider comes at risky speeds, hits my mirror with his and a piece of broken glass, around 2 inches, hits right on my visor. Just a scratch on the visor and not one on my face/eyes !!!
Sojogator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2015, 21:42   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Here in Kerala the police charge if you are wearing a helmet without an ISI mark. I have friends who use all sorts of safety (that includes riding jackets, gloves and necessary knee protections) and needless to say, have all the proper documents and maintain their rides in pristine order. The police however cant appreciate that, will charge a fine because their "European Standard Helmets" do not come with an ISI mark. Aren't they aware that DOT certified helmets are safer that most ISI stickered helmets or are they that keen on keeping rules to the word?

The funny thing is these police actually know that those helmets are high quality expensive ones. They know the fact that DOT certified helmets are actually better than ISI certified ones. According to police law says riding with helmets without ISI mark is punishable. Whether if it is a cheap helmet or an expensive one. Well, they are right in a way though.
Old 16th February 2015, 09:27   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.O View Post
The funny thing is these police actually know that those helmets are high quality expensive ones. They know the fact that DOT certified helmets are actually better than ISI certified ones. According to police law says riding with helmets without ISI mark is punishable. Whether if it is a cheap helmet or an expensive one. Well, they are right in a way though.
You're spot on! They know its safer. The purpose of the rule is to make the roads a safer place and not the implementation of the ISI marked helmets. They charge only because its "punishable". Which is why I pointed out that there's a limit for shamelessness. Who do we even complaint to?
Old 16th February 2015, 10:17   #180
BHPian

Quote:
You're spot on! They know its safer. The purpose of the rule is to make the roads a safer place and not the implementation of the ISI marked helmets. They charge only because its "punishable". Which is why I pointed out that there's a limit for shamelessness. Who do we even complaint to?
I'm not sure to whom we can complain. But I don't think there is any use in complaining unless this law has been changed. I know some of my friends who were reluctant to buy DOT certified helmets because they feared they will be stopped by the police

Most Viewed