Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2023, 21:12   #16
BHPian

Re: Advice for young bikers

Biking culture in India has surged in the past 2-3 years, mainly cause of YouTube, for the good or bad. MotoVlogs are a huge chunk of YouTube content nowadays.

The good - new found respect for bikers, craving for expensive riding gear, brands being held accountable.

The bad - top speed runs, drag races, exhaust mods.

Our Indian traffic scenario is very chaotic, people ride/drive like they walk. So always ride with a ton of patience and a clear mind.
Blackwing is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2023, 21:56   #17
BHPian

Very well written. One thing I will add is that I have seen people riding on the white marker lines. It makes it difficult to judge in which lane the rider wants to ride. A good advise is to ride in the left most lane (depending on the speed) and also not in the middle of the lane thereby blocking the entire lane.
Slowjet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 01:00   #18
BHPian

In certain metros, riders have to watch for stray dogs besides errant drivers and jay walking pedestrians. My cousin gave riding scooter together after such an incident in Bangalore when a dog bit her through the jeans.
ExplorerXIII is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 01:17   #19

Thank you for this post.
It is an eye opener to the new and old.

My 2 cents being a newbie rider with just 2 long rides of 5000kms under my belt.
1. Always ride in day light during long rides, the roads are new and unknown.
2. Be patient while overtaking during single lane roads
3. Riding at 90 kmph is twice as safe as riding at 110kmph.
Sj_241 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 10:44   #20
BHPian

Awesome post.

I am a newbie, just 19. I havent driven a geared bike in my life. I do know how to though. I ride a humble electric vehicle that does not peep over 50 km/h and yet, i have gone to that speed only once. The helmet point is something everyone should understand. Given that i frequent around 20kms a day, i see many educated middle aged men riding their hornets, enfields, dukes and apaches without a helmet. I was in an accident a few months ago wherein i flew off my bike, experienced flight for around 15-20 feet and landed flush on my back and head. The only thing that saved me was the helmet. If this was the case for a bike that doesnt go over 45km/h, think about the bikes that go to twice the speed in half the time.

Seriously people, I know taking a teenager seriously can be quite hard. Many of you here are seasoned veterans of the community. Please do wear your helmets. Give your pillion a helmet. Drive calmly, dont use your hips unless you have to.

Happy riding. I do hope that one day, I get to post a review in the bikers' forum
shresan23 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 21:39   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Another point - Don't be tempted to show every random car and bike guy on public roads what yours is capable of. When you lose control of your calmness, you will tend to make mistakes and pay a dear price. Even experienced riders fall into this trap. It will only end up in misery. Do better, be better.
This applies to car driving too!
Safedriver2023 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 23:02   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shresan23 View Post
I was in an accident a few months ago wherein i flew off my bike, experienced flight for around 15-20 feet and landed flush on my back and head.

Seriously people, I know taking a teenager seriously can be quite hard. Many of you here are seasoned veterans of the community. Please do wear your helmets. Give your pillion a helmet. Drive calmly, dont use your hips unless you have to.
Wear gloves and a jacket if possible too.

Glad to see a teenager with common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safedriver2023 View Post
This applies to car driving too!
Of course. It applies to buses and trucks too.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 23:11   #23
BHPian

It is really important for riders to prioritize training. If paid/organized training is not available, create your own. Practicing advanced defensive driving skills in a controlled environment with experienced riders watching over, is incredibly helpful. Much better than facing these adverse scenarios for the first time, because there may be no second time.
  • Panic braking, experience the ABS.
  • Aggressive braking on sand, & water, and know the exact stopping distance
  • Difference in bike characteristics at different stages of tire wear
  • Making a turn over loose gravel.
  • Taking on a speed bump at speed
  • Taking on a big pothole at speed
  • Swerving to avoid a dog/pothole/debris at speed
  • Practice being seen by truck drivers. If possible sit in the drivers seat of a truck, and experience what the truck driver can see.

I have been riding 30+ years, and I still value a refresher course of advanced defensive riding/driving skills. In these courses, they simulate a lot of these road conditions. They also bring a huge 18 wheel truck to show riders how little they can see, and also bring truck drivers who we can talk to. The things mentioned here on this thread are important too - safety gear, well maintained bike, and such. But, training and experiencing adverse scenarios needs to be a top priority - it will do a world of difference to the confidence and comfort in enjoying this activity that is inherently risky.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 9th February 2023 at 23:20.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 23:45   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Wear gloves and a jacket if possible too.

Glad to see a teenager with common sense. .
I wish. Going to college wearing a full on gear riding my kind of scooter, will be an amusing sight.

It is pathetic to note that seeing common sense itself is a rare sight. It just reflects the mindset of the general public. Why, even today i witnessed a middle aged guy on a duke with a pillion "cruising" in a jammed road at atleast 60 kmph. The way he swerved and used his hips in between cars and buses, the guy should have been casted as naagin.

I have no idea why my generation is behaving like this.

Its a simple theory actually,

Safe ride= longer ride time
shresan23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 01:07   #25
Senior - BHPian

My advice is the logical extension of #4. Don't bike at all.
After seeing my exploits on a cycle in high school, my parents decided that a bike was not on the cards for me, and my first set of wheels were 4 in number. After having experienced a bunch of crashes, I cannot imagine traveling in one of these 0 star tin can cars, forget a bike. Knowing how bad i drive, I probably would not have made it this far.

When i feel like living a bit on the dangerous side, i have an extra cheese pizza. At least I'll meet death on my own terms. For those of you for whom the passion outweighs your regard for life, or have immense faith in their driving abilities, thank you for nominating yourself to the Darwin award lottery. For those of who you can afford only two wheels because of economic reason, l can respect that. Been there, done that, and good luck. Hopefully fortune will give you an extra set of wheels soon!
greenhorn is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 03:22   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
My advice is the logical extension of #4. Don't bike at all. For those of you for whom the passion outweighs your regard for life, or have immense faith in their driving abilities, thank you for nominating yourself to the Darwin award lottery. For those of who you can afford only two wheels because of economic reason, l can respect that. Been there, done that, and good luck. Hopefully fortune will give you an extra set of wheels soon!
I am not sure if this advice is relevant at all. There are lots of people like me who understand the risk of the activity, choose to manage that risk, and still ride. Its a very personal decision. Two wheels just tick me differently. And this tick, is just not the same for everyone. I ride a motorcycle, an electric bicycle, a road bike, a mountain bike, and an electric scooter. Yes, I ride even when I visit India. One could live a life in fear of what may happen, or chose to live a life that is most fulfilling for them. Once a decision to ride has been made, what’s the best way to do it safely, and responsibly. That needs to be the focus of a thread like this. Perhaps OP can add a better perspective.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 10:46   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
My advice is the logical extension of #4. Don't bike at all.
After seeing my exploits on a cycle in high school, my parents decided that a bike was not on the cards for me, and my first set of wheels were 4 in number. After having experienced a bunch of crashes, I cannot imagine traveling in one of these 0 star tin can cars, forget a bike. Knowing how bad i drive, I probably would not have made it this far.
Sorry buddy but it seems like you chose the wrong forum to put this in
Yes bikes have 0 safety and all but then crashing and escaping has a lot to do with skill and a little bit of luck. Call me an atheist but, i feel that, if you are concentrated (in a meditation state), you can avoid an accident even while racing at a 100. In the end, it all boils down to skill. Bikes are extremely nimble and the chances of squeezing through and getting away from danger is extremely high. As far a car is concerned, that is very rare, given the size.

That squeezing depends on skill and a little bit of luck. This doesnt mean that one should trust their hands and mind and go for it, caution is always necessary.

In the end, if you are destined to crash, you will crash. Be it at 20kmph or 100 kmph, in a bike, or in a car or even in a Volvo Bus where you arent driving.

This is what i live by. This way, things wont get too complicated
shresan23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 13:12   #28
BHPian

Hi! My 2 bits as a rider in his mid 50s would be
1. Choose a bike which you feel comfortable riding vis a vis the weight, power, saddle height etc and dont be tempted by what the advertisements and other riders promise. If you can't handle the xtra horses, don't be tempted to buy them.
2. Invest in safe and aesthetic riding gear comprising helmet, jacket/ pants, gloves and dont forget to wear them with boots while riding; even if it's only for a short city ride! If you can't be bothered with the above, WALK! It's healthier too.
3.Never ride a bike with slippers/ flip flops and shorts. They are meant for walking.
4. Practise riding over bumps, potholes, sandy roads etc when there is no traffic around. It will pay dividends on some day in the future.
5. And maintain a peripheral vision while riding. It helps in spotting that errant auto, biker, animal who may decide to cross your path. Look for feet below the truck, bus parked by the side , and you will be spared the surprise of a person/ animal jumping into your path.
6.And lastly, RESPECT every user on the road.
Stay chilled on the road, leave your EGO @ home while riding ; ride sanely and live to tell the tale.
Happy & safe riding!
Passatman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 17:01   #29

@RiderZone:
Thank You for the compilation, I agree with you on all the points and would like to add a few from my personal experience:

1) Maintain the vehicle well
Owner's manual is a fantastic document, read, understand and follow it.

Tires: practically, the only components of the vehicle that touch (should touch) the land surface.
Invest in a good pair of sticky tires (I use Apollo Alphas on my bike, they're really good)
Monitor the tire pressure weekly.!
Learn to identify the current state of tires, do not postpone their replacement.
Better if you could have separate sets - one for Monsoon, one for other seasons.

Engine Oil:
Choose Synthetic over Plain organic.
Change the oil timely

Brakes:
Check for the brake pads / brake liners for wear - change them timely

2) Practice / Hone riding skills

Panic / Emergency braking - learn how to do it, practice it, improve it before going fast on any road.!

Balancing:
Learn how to balance the vehicle with only the lower part of the body (everything below the waist).
Hands are to be used more to maneuver the vehicle than balancing it. Don't rest them on the handle-bar and apply much load. Your wrists, elbows, shoulders would be grateful.! The overall ride experience would definitely improve this way.

Overtaking
Avoid overtaking from the left (however, with multi-lane roads, there are not many choices), you never know when the vehicle on the right would steer inwards (indicator discipline is mostly not followed)
Simply don't overtake unless you are sure to make it quick and safely.!

Patience
This one skill / virtue will always save your life in any practical situation. For Motorcyclists, it is comparatively more applicable.

Look where you want to go:
This one skill has been the most important for me all these years.
Our body is kind of tuned to follow our eyes' lead
Look and decide where you want to go, the body / vehicle will follow.!

Happy Riding..!! :-)
SilverHawk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2023, 22:48   #30
BHPian

A point that I would like to add, as I am experiencing it right now:
If you can only get a single helmet(and visor), get a clear visor one. No matter the amount of planning you do, chances are you would end up riding after sun sets.
At such times if you have a tinted visor, it's a choice between riding with open visor and riding with extremely limited vision, both equally fatal and dangerous.
Just saw a guy riding @7pm with black tinted visor down on highway and I was wondering just how much of the road, he is actually looking at.

Regards,
MiSiMa

Last edited by MiSiMa : 12th February 2023 at 23:03. Reason: Spelling and grammar
MiSiMa is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks