Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2021, 08:52   #1

Scooter vs Motorcycle | Which is safer?

A day back I was just discussing with my friend about the newly launched Yamaha R15 V4 and Aerox. I just casually said that I am very excited about the new R15M and might even buy one for myself. Over that, he laughed and quoted that he would rather go with a scooter as they are safer than motorcycles. The base of his argument being that motorcycle riders tend to ride rashly and inappropriate manner on roads which make them more susceptible to crashes/accidents. Also, he thinks that because scooters are slow-moving machines so they are less likely to be involved in a crash. Now I have been riding scooters since 2011 and have just started riding motorbikes three years back and I have always felt more confident riding a motorbike because of many reasons. But here I would like to ask all of you guys that what do you think about this? Which one do you think is safer among the two?

P.S. This is my first post here so please don't mind if I violate any forum rules by mistake. Also, I tried to find a similar thread but couldn't so moderators if this belongs to some other subsection then help me with that please.
MotorUniverse is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 09:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Scooter vs Motorcycle | Which is safer?

Bikes all the way. Scooters are the most unstable vehicles on road, worse than a rickshaw or even a cycle.

Also, you cant compare a rowdy rider on a bike to a safe rider on a scooter. Drive both vehicles in the rowdy way, the bike will be safer. Drive both vehicles in a safe way, the bike will be safer.

Ask your bike if a scooter can be brought back under control if you lose control. For a bike, 4 out of 10 times, lost control can be regained if the driver is skilled enough.

The scooters we have today have not evolved at all for the last 15 years, except maybe a charging port and some fiber parts.
2000rpm is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 09:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

For the sake of discussion I guess bikes have better brakes, larger tyres so should be "safer?" But if it's a collision then all that won't really matter.

I mean you can't really talk about air bags, crumple zones etc here. Wear proper protection and ride carefully and I guess that's the safest option.

Mod note: Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission.

Last edited by GTO : 26th September 2021 at 19:16. Reason: No need to be rude, buddy. If you don't like a discussion, don't read it :)
deathwalkr is offline   (9) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 23rd September 2021, 09:59   #4
BHPian

Both are safer and equally dangerous too. It all depends on what speed you are driving. Scooters with their short tyres tend to skid and loose control easily than a bike. Safety is all about understanding the dynamics of the vehicle.
Old 23rd September 2021, 10:43   #5
BHPian

For me personally, bikes are safer. When ever I ride my wife's activa I am always scared of it slipping away from under me. I can never cross 40 KMPH, my wife laughs about it but I am really scared of driving it on any speeds above this. I don't trust those puny tires nor can I get myself to trust its brakes.
Engine_Roars is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 11:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

A car is anyday safer than a two wheeler. Among two wheelers, a bike is anyday better and safer than a scooter. A scooter is more convenient than a bike.

1) A bike has much bigger tyres than a scooter. While a scooter wheel will go "into" most potholes on the road, a bike wheel will go over them instead. Mostly. So safer and more comfortable.

2) A bike has longer travel suspension because it can accommodate larger shock absorbers.

3) Since scooter wheels are small, the tyres have to rotate faster and do more revolutions than a bike wheel to do the same speed/cover the same distance. So the tyres will wear out faster in a scooter.

4) The rider sits astride the bike,gripping the fuel tank with the knees in addition to the grip on the handlebars. Whereas he sits "on" the scooter, like sitting on a stool. More prone to getting thrown off the vehicle. I always feel slightly unsafe while riding a scooter.

There will be exceptions of course. The Aprilia and the soon to be launched Yamaha scooters are more like bikes actually. They are step thrus and not scooters.

Edit: There is no such class of vehicle as a scooty! It is also a scooter. A mini scooter, when it was originally introduced by TVS in it's two stroke avatar. But no longer. Now it is a regular scooter.

Last edited by Gansan : 23rd September 2021 at 11:10.
Gansan is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 11:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

Safety lies in the nut that connects between the handlebars & seat. 80 Kmph seems dangerous in Activa, but very much controllable in CBR 250R & dull on Speed Triple. Ask a pullingo riding Dio, he will dare to chase even a Busa in it.

Remember the thumb rule - ride is only 10% & rider is 90%
aargee is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 12:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

I would like to add one more point here-somehow, I feel that today's CVT based transmission for scooters make them a bit less controllable than the geared scooters of the yore. I remember using the LML Vespa 150NV, Man- it had a foot brake for rear, which looked and operated like a car brake, it was so grippy and the scooter itself was well built . Only once did I slip on that scooter, while coming back on a fun ride on the slopes of Mulshi road (near the dam). But it was a very gentle fall, and hardly a scratch on the all-metal body. I really miss that vehicle and wish I had driven it longer! In contrast, my sisters new sensation for that time, Kinetic Honda, although zippy, always felt unstable. In fact my sister drove it faster than I ever drove my Vespa.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 23rd September 2021 at 12:37.
fhdowntheline is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 13:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I would like to add one more point here-somehow, I feel that today's CVT based transmission for scooters make them a bit less controllable than the geared scooters of the yore
Not really; there's a difference in which both scooters have to be ridden & folks like you & me, who've originated from Lambretta & Vespa NV era, have to relearn.

Basically with NV, we could downshift the gear as & when we need to slow down combined with the brakes, which makes it more controllable.

With todays gearless, we've to plan a few feet in advance, close the throttle, allow a little deceleration & then apply the brakes. Fortunately, today's scooters have fantastic brakes & lighter than 88's NV.
aargee is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 16:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

I would like to go against the Tide here.

To give a background, I went from a 150cc Motorcycle (15years of riding) to a 110cc Scooter (4years of riding).

I would say, it is safer (At least for me) to ride a scooter, because:
1. The scooter is vastly lighter & has a lower seat than my old bike.
In instances of slight imbalance, simply use your foot to stabilize yourself!

2. The scooter has far less performance & speed capability.
I am implicitly at a much much lower speed, when I am on a scooter.

3. Almost all Budget scooters have Combination brakes.
This results in balanced braking during panic situations.

Last edited by abhishek46 : 23rd September 2021 at 16:57.
abhishek46 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 18:03   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post

2. The scooter has far less performance & speed capability.
I am implicitly at a much much lower speed, when I am on a scooter.
I have to disagree with this comment. I am more in alignment with aargee - It's 10% the ride and 90% the rider.

In contrast to your experience, I have been 7 years on a scooter (Vespa 125) and 1 year on a bike (Int 650), not counting the short stints on a bike in those 7 years. As you can see, my bike way outperforms my scooter, but I have never felt as safe and as confident as I've been in this last 1 year, than the previous 7 years on the scooter.

And yes, I used to be that idiot during my younger days who would be the first to zip away from a signal on the Vespa (thankfully no incidents to talk about ). But whenever there was even a little water on the road, I daren't cross 30-40 kmph. The scooter, however good the brakes, never inspired any confidence in me. Activas and Dios, even lesser.

The dynamics of both are so different, like someone here pointed out that you sit on top of a scooter. Those tiny wheels will not help when the earth below you slips out. On a bike you have some scope to regain control, as I have done a few times already.

Potholes are another nightmare on the scooter. Every time I have hit a pothole on the scooter with slightly more speed than I should have, I have feared falling over and getting run over by someone behind me. On the other hand, I just raise my bottom a bit and let the bike take care of it now if I come across a pothole unexpectedly.

Lastly, the only thing that ensures your safety on two wheels is proper riding gear. That does not limit to the free helmet you get with most two wheelers. Ensuring you get a "safe" helmet with the right fitting is of utmost importance. Followed by a good protective jacket and shoes (never an open footwear while riding). As someone on one of the Int 650 thread said, you should spend at least 10% of the two wheelers value on riding gear to ensure your safety.
GrandTourer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 19:01   #12
BHPian

In my opinion, Scooters are safer and convenient than Bikes because the rider's legs are better protected in case of side swipes. In a scooter you can control accelerator and brake with both your hands, whereas in a Bike you need hands & legs to control accelerator, brake, clutch & gears which is like doing Jugglery. Also you can store items underneath the seat in a Scooter which is convenient. I found these links about a study in Australia that says Scooters are safer than Bikes:

https://adventurebiketroop.com/scoot...rcycle-safety/

https://www.drive.com.au/news/scoote...rcycles-study/

One of the reasons for Scooters being safer than Bikes is Scooter riders are less prone to taking risks.
In India, some people travel over long distances compared to Scooters. Such a study is needed in India to ascertain the safety of Bikes & Scooters. That said no matter what, wearing helmet and following traffic rules is important.
CarNerd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 19:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorUniverse View Post
Which one do you think is safer among the two?
I will just quote what has already been said and just add my experience to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
A car is anyday safer than a two wheeler. Among two wheelers, a bike is anyday better and safer than a scooter. A scooter is more convenient than a bike.
Perfectly put and agree with all your points.

The larger wheels make the biggest difference IMO.
Example : My Access125 has 12 inch front and 10 inch rear wheels. If you are familiar with the "cuts" on the road which are done to lay some cables(always after the road has been resurfaced), my front wheel passes with a slight thud but the rear wheel crashes in. That's the difference what 2 inches made to the experience. Bikes with 17 inch wheels or more won't even have to think about it.

Scooters are light and flickable but also less stable than bikes, sudden swerves can cause an upset which can result in a fall.
Where they shine is in city duties only, like they were designed to.

And not to forget since scooters or bikes can't have GNCAP ratings the following quote is real and gold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Safety lies in the nut that connects between the handlebars & seat.
Remember the thumb rule - ride is only 10% & rider is 90%
shancz is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 20:11   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Safest is a motorbike.
Next is a scooter.
Third in my list is a Scooty.

And the rider's capabilities are the most important of all. A cranky driver will be unsafe in all the three, rather the most unsafe on a motorbike. He will be the safest on a Scooty that has limitations of power and speed.

Hence, man and machine in tandem decide which is safe and unsafe.
Old 23rd September 2021, 20:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I would like to add one more point here-somehow, I feel that today's CVT based transmission for scooters make them a bit less controllable than the geared scooters of the yore
While I was gazing at a Honda Garcia few minutes ago, this thought flashed...

Vespa, Lamby & even Vijay Super Mark 2, all these were firing every 360 degree, while todays Scoots does at 720 degree; keeping it simple, 2 stroke vs 4 joke

But the oldies weigh more than today's Activa (forget alone Dio, which challenges some 100cc motorcycles as well). Any CVT's of today are far superior to good old Kinetic Honda as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks